Start by marking “Little Miss Stoneybrook... and Dawn (The Baby-Sitters Club, #15)” as Want to Read:
Little Miss Stoneybrook... and Dawn (The Baby-Sitters Club, #15)

Little Miss Stoneybrook... and Dawn (The Baby-Sitters Club #15)

3.58  ·  Rating Details ·  2,427 Ratings  ·  51 Reviews
Dawn's a little jealous when there's a formal ceremony to welcome Jessi and Mallory into the Baby-sitters Club. Don't people know that Dawn's a special baby-sitter, too?

Then it's Dawn's turn to shine. Mrs. Pike wants her to help prepare Margo and Claire for the Little Miss Stoneybrook contest. So what if Margo's only talent is peeling a banana with her feet? Dawn's going t
Published July 1st 1996 by Scholastic (first published January 1st 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Little Miss Stoneybrook... and Dawn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Little Miss Stoneybrook... and Dawn

Ciara
tragically, this book is nowhere near as awesome as pretty much any given episode of "toddlers & tiaras". i don't know if children's beauty pageants weren't as freaky in 1988, or if this is just another thing that ann m. martin doesn't really know much about. or maybe this is how regular pageants are, while "toddlers & tiaras" focuses more on totally bizarre glitz pageants. then again, the little girl who wins the little miss stoneybrook title is pretty glitzed out. hmmm...

our A-plot fea
April Thompson
Sep 15, 2014 April Thompson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gladly, this book isn't filled with much pageant drama that seems to plaque the world we live in today. Fun read!
Rylee
Oct 15, 2012 Rylee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a good book. It sounded really cute when all the little girls were in fancy dresses!
Elaine Mullane
May 05, 2017 Elaine Mullane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I used to love the Babysitter's Club! My friends and I used to swap them between us when I was in primary school. They were so popular at the time, there was a waiting list at the library if you wanted to read them in chronological order! I used to be allowed to buy one book a week on a Friday when I was younger; this was usually an Enid Blyton, Roald Dahl, Point Horror or one of these! I would love to revisit them at some stage, just for nostalgia's sake!
lisa
Dawn sets out to prove her worth as a baby sitter in this book. In a subplot, her brother Jeff moves back to California, leaving Dawn and her mother shattered. I first read this when I was about ten years old. It was borrowed from my frenemy who was mostly a little sociopathic bitch, but whose parents bought her every single BSC book in the series, even all the mysteries, super specials, etc. I was friends with her just so I could borrow her books.

Things I remember from reading this as a kid:
Mal
Rachael
May 16, 2017 Rachael rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2017
3.5 stars another great book in the babysitter series. in this book the sitters are helping get the kids ready for a beauty pageant and things get a little competitive.
Cassie Molina
The only thing i actually enjoyed in this one was the whole jeff leaving thing, my chest got thight during all that
Shira
Dec 17, 2015 Shira rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
this is the first time I've read this book!

dawn is jealous of mallory and jessi because they get an induction ceremony (thrown together last-minute by kristy), and she's jealous of claudia because charlotte johanssen asks for her to baby-sit specifically. when mrs. pike asks dawn if she would be interested in being the pageant coach to claire and margo for the little miss stonybrook pageant, she agrees, figuring if one of them wins she will look like the best baby-sitter. kristy, mary anne, and
Kristine (The Writer's Inkwell)
Posted originally on my blog:
The Writer's Inkwell

This is probably one of the most memorable Baby-sitters Club books for me. Compared to a lot of the other books, this one has a bit of everything in it. For one, it’s the official introduction of Mallory and Jessi into the club. Now I didn’t remember the part where Dawn was jealous, but for once, I felt it was an appropriate reaction to what was going on. Especially since Dawn’s introduction to the club came at such a bad time for the club. It wa
Julie Decker
The Little Miss Stoneybrook contest--a pageant!--has come to town, and some of the babysitters' favorite charges want to enter. As the babysitters prepare and help the kids rehearse their talents--from singing to baton-twirling to reciting poetry--Dawn is dealing with her younger brother's increasing unhappiness at home. With all the distractions, she's having trouble being supportive for her kid brother, and what's worse is the competitive spirit that crops up between the babysitters as they co ...more
Swankivy
This is about a pageant for little girls which the Baby-Sitters Club has to help their charges prepare for. It seemed kind of weird to me when I was a kid--I'd never been in any kind of pageant and didn't know anyone who had--but I did like that most of the preparation seemed to focus on their performing talents, not their looks. (Though some kid they don't know in the pageant is all Career Pageant-looking, and is presented as a total brat.) I remember actually being really amused at the kids wi ...more
Laura Hughes
Apr 07, 2013 Laura Hughes rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: babysitters-club
Pageant zzzzzzz.

The Little Miss Stoneybrook competition turns into a babysitter rivalry when each of the four elder baby-sitters trains a contestant (or two, in the case of Dawn, who is coaching the amusingly untalented Claire and Margo Pike). Only Jessi and Mallory have the integrity to check their egos at the door and stand by their opinion that pageants are sexist.

The more interesting plotline in this is about Dawn’s brother Jeff, who finally gets permission to move home to California to live
Kristine Hansen
Nov 15, 2014 Kristine Hansen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids
Not my favorite in the series though I like Dawn stories.

Here we have the girls going a bit pageant crazy, and competing with one another. Perhaps this story reminds me that while the girls seem almost adult in how capable they are in taking care of children, that they are in fact still fairly young themselves. And not everything is something they understand fully - like just how crazy a pageant can be, or why a child needs to be let go.

The best part of the story was with Dawn's brother Jeff. He
Natalí
Jan 28, 2013 Natalí rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, oldie, bsc
Another book I had already read in my childhood, though I didn't remembered completely. I think I used to image Margo as an older girl who was dorky but fun. This book kind of crushed that image. Leaving the part of the pageant (it was kind of weird how competitive the BSC girls became) the real drama about Dawn (Jeff moving away) was really sad and I think wasn't as much addressed as it should have been. ON the pother hand, maybe as the book is narrated by Dawn, maybe she was a bit on denial an ...more
April

Awesome books that girls will love! And the
jacky
Jun 07, 2007 jacky rated it liked it
I read about 20-25 of these books. I read them in fifth and sixth grade. I strongly remember wanting to read these because they seemed cool and my older sister read a few of them. I remember that our library had a little display of them and I also bought a lot of them through the book catalogs we got at school. I remember most strongly the set up of the books; each book started explaining the club and describing each of the members. I also strongly remember the covers.
Rachel Brand
I remember reading this as a kid and enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would. The section at the actual pageant was amusing to read and I like how nearly all the BSC kids act like...well, kids! I never understood why Claud pushed Charlotte into being in the pageant, surely someone so skilled with looking after children would realise how terrible that idea was? Also, the Jeff plot was very realistic and handled very well. Overall, enjoyable although not one of the best early books. 8/10
Ramya (Idea Smith)
Nov 28, 2013 Ramya (Idea Smith) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-this-book
A decent but not great story about pageant fever in lower and middle school Stoneybrook. A local children's personality contest has the Babysitters club vying to be the best babysitter by coaching the winning kid. The preparations for the pageant are funny and keep you sailing through the gruesome world of adult competition imposed on kids.
Amie
Jan 02, 2014 Amie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bsc
I never read this one growing up. I'm not sure why. The baby-sitters try to prepare girls for the Little Miss Stoneybrook Pageant, with mixed results. Moms could talk with their daughters about how beauty pageants have changed over the years, and if they are "sexist".
Jessica
Jan 01, 2014 Jessica rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Another one which shocked the core of my former self.

How could Dawn's mom let her son go like that? I mean, REALLY?
Oh and there is some back story about a pageant where the Baby-Sitters compete with their charges.
Whatever.
Nancy
Oct 25, 2013 Nancy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: rereading
In which STFUDawn readies the Pike girls for a pagent, the rest of the club, minus the more reasonable 11 year olds, follows suit, and Sabrina Bouvier is the first victim of the Stoneybrook Time Warp. STFUDawn is less appalling here.
The Little Miss Stoneybrook Pageant is a far cry from those frequented by Jon Benet. Once again the members of the baby-sitter's club are caught up in a fierce competition and once again they come to see the error of their ways in the end. Ahhhhhhhhh!
Michaela Branum
I RATE IT A 2. yes. a 2. It was such a yawn. this book is so sexist. I mean, I am a female, but I still think it's sexist. it was such a yawn I play sports, but I hate competition. well that's all for this one.:( I think you could do better Ann M. Martin
GraceWastheAnswer
Didn't like this one, but I'm not into that sort of thing. There's more to life than who's the prettiest. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and is not a governing absolute. In some countries men won't marry woman unless the father fattens them up to be at least over 200 lbs.
Audra
Jul 09, 2012 Audra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved the small children anecdotes more than anything else in this book. Quite humorous, one of my favorites so far!
Rhiannon1220
Aug 06, 2008 Rhiannon1220 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This whole series is great for girls between 11-15 years old. I read every last one of them as I was growing up.
Christine Grant
Sep 28, 2012 Christine Grant rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorites in the series. What's cuter than babysitter's training their charges for the Little Miss Stoneybrook pageant?
Burgundy Rose
May 22, 2014 Burgundy Rose rated it liked it
Pageants freak me out so this book isn't a favourite. I loved what was going on with Dawn's brother though and wish we'd got more of Dawn's life in general, she's one of my favourites sitters.
Hannah Seeley
Oct 17, 2009 Hannah Seeley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The baby-sitters enter some of the girls they baby-sit in a beauty pagent. I recommend this book took a bunch of people!! I love the series!!
Erin
Nov 16, 2013 Erin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I always felt that Dawn had the most difficult babysitting assignments and this was certainly no exception.
  • The War Between the Twins (Sweet Valley Twins, #37)

More about Ann M. Martin...

The Baby-Sitters Club (1 - 10 of 132 books)
  • Kristy's Great Idea (The Baby-Sitters Club, #1)
  • Claudia and the Phantom Phone Calls (The Baby-sitters Club, #2)
  • The Truth About Stacey (The Baby-Sitters Club, #3)
  • Mary Anne Saves the Day (The Baby-Sitters Club, #4)
  • Dawn and the Impossible Three (The Baby-Sitters Club, #5)
  • Kristy's Big Day (The Baby-Sitters Club, #6)
  • Claudia and Mean Janine (The Baby-Sitters Club, #7)
  • Boy-Crazy Stacey (The Baby-Sitters Club, #8)
  • The Ghost at Dawn's House (The Baby-Sitters Club, #9)
  • Logan Likes Mary Anne! (The Baby-Sitters Club, #10)