Start by marking “The Reindeer People (Reindeer People, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Reindeer People (Reindeer People, #1)

The Reindeer People (Reindeer People #1)

3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  684 ratings  ·  28 reviews
The Reindeer People is the first in a series of reissues of Megan Lindholm's (Robin Hobb) classic backlist titles. It is set in the harsh wilderness of a prehistoric North America, and tells the story of a tribe of nomads and hunters as they try to survive, battling against enemy tribes, marauding packs of wolves and the very land itself. Living on the outskirts of the tri ...more
Unknown Binding
Published May 21st 2001 by Not Avail (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about The Reindeer People, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Reindeer People

The Clan of the Cave Bear by Jean M. AuelThe Valley of Horses by Jean M. AuelThe Mammoth Hunters by Jean M. AuelThe Plains of Passage by Jean M. AuelThe Shelters of Stone by Jean M. Auel
Best Pre-History Fiction
42nd out of 148 books — 240 voters
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeeGirl with a Pearl Earring by Tracy ChevalierThe Book Thief by Markus ZusakThe Name of the Rose by Umberto EcoSacred Hearts by Sarah Dunant
Non-England historical fiction
69th out of 337 books — 31 voters

More lists with this book...

Damian Dubois
Whether she is penning epic fantasies under the name of Robin Hobb or telling contemporary fantasies set in the harsh wilderness of prehistoric North America under the pseudonym of Megan Lindholm, Margaret Astrid Lindholm Ogden is undoubtedly one of the best novelists that I have had the pleasure of reading. Not once have I felt let down by one of her novels (11 and counting now) as each is populated by such well sketched characters that you can’t but help being drawn into their everyday trial a ...more
Rob
...I remember liking these books a lot when I first read them in Dutch and reading the English original hasn't changed my opinion that much. What I don't remember noticing is the abrupt ending of this novel. I might very well have read them back to back the first time around. When Lindholm wrote these books she already had a few books under her belt and they are much more confident than the first Ki and Vandien stories. Apart from the slightly awkward split, these two novels are among the better ...more
Althea Ann
I like Robin Hobb's books a lot, so when I found out she has also published a bunch under 'Megan Lindholm' of course I had to go get them! These were the first I read under this name. It's really one story, that was originally divided in two by the publisher, and later pout out as an omnibus called "The Saga of the Reindeer People."
I'm not sure why she uses two different names. The style of writing was recognizably the same, although this story is somewhat darker than many of her epic 'Robin Hob
Miquela
I read and liked Lindholm's Wizard of the Pigeons, but UF not being my thing, I didn't *love* it, not enough to buy something else written by her. It took me years to try something else of hers, but I'm glad I finally did. I enjoyed Reindeer People so much that the first thing I did after finishing it was to order Wolf's Brother.

I have been giving fantasy a go of late in favor of other genres, and this book was a nice way to ease back into my comfort zone, it not being full of typical fantasy tr
Dawn
May 27, 2012 Dawn rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Robin Hobb fans
Shelves: owned-bookcase
I'm so glad that someone introduced me to Robin Hobb (aka Megan Lindholm) a few years ago. I'll never forget that kind person, as the Farseer books were an incredible experience and remain very dear to me. (I've read them a few times too, which is not something I do often).
What a storyteller she is! I can't believe I have left it so long to read her work written as Megan Lindholm.

This book cast a spell over me and I was quickly absorbed into it's world, so that it was read in very few sittings.
B
Loraine
Robin Hobb writes very energetic "high fantasy," as I call her style. Under her Megan Lindholm pseudonym, she seems rather more grounded in the natural world. These books, written early in her career, are hard to come by in local libraries, but a worth finding. Her style is more workmanlike and less seismic. The fantastic and magical can be seen as shamanistic vision in The Reindeer People.

Tillu is a healer, probably some time in the Pleistocene and somewhere in the arctic tundra of Old Europe,
Mersini
It seems I have a soft spot for novels set in the harsh wilderness of North American winters. This is the first Megan Lindholm/Robin Hobb book that I've ever read, after having heard excellent things about her fantasy books and although I'm sure this is not one of the books people have in mind when they talk about her, it doesn't disappoint.

It's unsurprisingly reminiscent of Jean Auel's novels; enchanting, with a world of two different species of humans mixing, the characters vivid and each wit
Felicity
You can't go back - either to the 80s or to Siberian prehistory. Somehow, this book seems as dated as shoulderpads. That's not its fault, though. What is its fault is being one of those books where the reader knows all about the evil done by, well, the Evil Guy but the hapless characters don't have a clue. I never can handle a book like that. So yeah, I read most of this one & skimmed the sequel. Notable only for the portrayal of an autistic child as one of the main characters.
Doc Opp
Megan Lindholm also writes as Robin Hobb, who is one of my favorite authors, so I decided to check this out. As Robin Hobb she's more sci-fi/fantasy. As Lindholm she's more classic fiction; although there is some fantastical element, its very subtle.

The story chronicles a stone age inuit mother and her autistic son, who are forced to travel from tribe to tribe as the son's odd behaviors make him a cast off. Its not really my cup of tea as a plot, but the book was well written, and really gives
Preston
an interesting story written by megan lindholm. I like the native American mythical setting and it is refreshing to have such a strong female protagonist.
Catherine Bateson
I didn't know this was a reissue from the backlist of titles by Megan Lindholm's books. Megan Lindholm also writes as Robin Hobbs (or should that be Robin Hobbs also writes as Megan Lindolm?) This was, as you'd expect, good, solid writing with believable and endearing central characters. I feel Hobbs/Lindholm always uses what she knows in fantasy and the character of Elsa's son is particularly well-drawn. I love the domestic details of fantasy like this and there's solid research behind this boo ...more
Jane Bailey
I simply devoured this book. Ms Lindholm's ability to write sympathetic flawed characters is unmatched. It sounds to me like Kerlew has some form of autism and the way his otherness is interpreted by the society he is growing up in is fascinating.
Felicity
I have been a huge fan of Robin Hobb since I was about 15. I love the Farseer Books and eagerly read everything Ms Hobb writes.
I knew that she also wrote as Megan Lindholm, but had never read her work under this pseudonym. If I hadn't have know they were the same author, I honestly don't think I would've picked it from reading this book.
I enjoyed the story, but it certainly didn't grab me the way her work as Robin Hobb has.
Molly
Marie Jenkinson
Love her writing as Robin Hobb - dislike her writing as Megan Lindholm. I don't know if it is the setting (native american backdrop rather than otherworld fantasy) of if it is simply that her writing style has not evolved as with the Robin Hobb titles.

I found this rather dull in comparison. I need to revisit these again - just to see if my opinion of them has changed.
Beverly
I really enjoyed this. Several times I noticed that my heart was pounding, which does not happen often while I'm reading. I enjoy pre-historical fiction, though I do wish there didn't always have to be one or two irredeemably evil characters.
Gayla Bassham
It's obvious that this book was written by the author of Assassin's Apprentice; the two novels share similar styles and themes. But this book isn't nearly as good. It was a pleasant enough diversion for a couple of days, but I doubt I'll pick up the sequel. Still, if you love the setting of The Clan of the Cave Bear, you might like this one.
Kurtbg
This a tale in the vein of Clan of the Cave Bear. It deals with acceptance and survival. After reading this, reading the second book is definitely needed in order to have any sense of closure. The first book structure doesn't quite have a big enough mini-resolution to make the altogether satisfying on it's own.
Nikki
I remember basically nothing about this book. I don't think I thought it was anywhere near the level of Lindholm's later writing as Robin Hobb, or as easy to read and enjoyable as the Ki and Vandien quartet. Still, I read it all and eagerly read the sequel, so there's good stuff there.
Nicole
i loved this book. everyone compares it to clan of the cave bear,but other than the time frame, and a shaman there completely different.. hobb tends to have similar themes in her books, this series stick to them.
Libromaniac
I've read a few million words written by Mz. Hobb/Lindholm. All of her work is enjoyable but these earn my highest rating. A refreshing change from the bloated opuses that characterize the genre.
Patricia
I enjoyed this book - I had actually read it already in 2004, thought it seemed familiar - good pre history people book.
Tracy
I can see the cleverly crafted characterisation of Robin Hobb even in these early works. Enjoyable.
Sidonie Kervau
Recommended for lovers of Auel's series, although this has less of an encyclopedic streak.
Martijn Onderwater
Nice read, but it feels like an introduction. Let's see what part two is like ...
Hassan
Hassan marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2015
  • The Inheritance
  • The Reindeer Hunters (Reindeer Hunters, #3)
  • Reindeer Moon (Reindeer Moon, #1)
  • The Year the Horses Came
  • Circles of Stone (Mother People, #1)
  • Song of the River (Storyteller Trilogy, #1)
  • Dance of the Tiger: A Novel of the Ice Age
  • Hawkwood and the Kings (Monarchies of God, #1-2)
  • Beyond the Sea of Ice (The First Americans, #1)
  • The Novels of Tiger and Del, Volume II
  • Fall of Thanes (The Godless World, #3)
  • The Donkey Rustlers
  • Eyes of Silver
  • The Warding of Willowmere (Willowmere Chronicles, #2)
The author also writes under the pseudonym Robin Hobb. Her real name is Margaret Astrid Lindholm Ogden.
More about Megan Lindholm...

Reindeer People (2 books)
  • Wolf's Brother (Reindeer People, #2)
Harpy's Flight (Windsingers, #1) The Windsingers (Windsingers, #2) Wizard of the Pigeons Wolf's Brother (Reindeer People, #2) The Limbreth Gate (Windsingers, #3)