Start by marking “Love (and Other Uses for Duct Tape) (Belle, #2)” as Want to Read:
Love (and Other Uses for Duct Tape) (Belle, #2)

Love (and Other Uses for Duct Tape) (Belle #2)

FROM THE NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLING AUTHOR OF NEED AND CAPTIVATE People keep changing who they are & defining themselves by their own choices, and that's cool most of the time, but not all the time. No, it's not cool all the time at all.

Belle is closing in on her last few months of high school and things are much better than they were before. Well, almost. Belle's not
Published March 8th 2008 by Flux (first published March 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Love (and Other Uses for Duct Tape), please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Love (and Other Uses for Duct Tape)

Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Lynn Crow for TeensReadToo.com

Since her then-boyfriend announced he was gay several months back, things have finally started to settle down in Belle's life. Her relationship with Tom is going strong, her best friend Em's all lovey-dovey with her boyfriend, and even Belle's mom has found a man she adores. The classmate who attacked Belle last year has been transferred to another school, and the freedom of summer is fast approaching. Still, Belle can't help worrying that life can't pos
May 05, 2012 Maria - (STOP adding me to [roleplaying] groups; even if i accept, i will NOT participate!) rated it did not like it
Recommended to Maria - (STOP adding me to [roleplaying] groups; even if i accept, i will NOT participate!) by: My sister -- vampirediaries
Ok so, I usually don't write/post many reviews of stories, unless they were REALLY special & I really enjoyed them. And this one here happened to be eSPECIALly HORRIBLE! Ok, so let me break this down. Let's start with characters first:

CHARACTERS:

BELLE: Ok, in the first book, she was like my favorite, but in this one, she just totally made my blood BOIL! She was sooooo annoying, I swear to God, there were times when more than once, I wanted to f***in' slaughter the girl! Her whole character
Heather
Sep 29, 2009 Heather rated it liked it
Shelves: ya-reads, library, series
Rating C+

Review Warning: If you're the kind of person who hates to read a book, and not read any really great stuff until page 256 (of 284), then don't read this book. Let me give you a little break-down of how this book goes, for reference:
Pages 1-42: Introductory scenes to remind us of characters and relationships and events that ocurred in Tips... and set up the scenario/scene/timeline for Love...
Pages 43-82: Set up of the "big hook"/problem of this book
Pages 83-256: Belle thinks a lot about
Nina
Aug 13, 2011 Nina rated it liked it
Sandy
Dec 17, 2008 Sandy rated it it was ok
The sequel to Tips on Having a Gay (ex) Boyfriend, this book brings us back to Belle, Tom, and their tiny Maine hometown. The good news is that this book presents an interesting look at all forms of love (including sex) and their sometimes unplanned consequences, including teen pregnancy. The themes are truly good and using Belle again as a reactionary character to difficult circumstances is interesting and effective for exploring these themes. Unfortunately, the writing just isn't as good. It a ...more
Devyn
Aug 18, 2008 Devyn rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: EVERYONE!
Shelves: young-adult
Jones does it again, bringing back the beloved cast of characters. This time around Belle has found her true love, however she is having trouble accepting that Tom is not Dylan (her gay ex-boyfriend). The men in her life have left her Dylan has a boyfriend now and her Father passed away in war.

Belle must learn to deal with her issues; as well as the issues around her and realize that she is not the only person in the world with problems, she needs to trust the people around her and most of all s
Jul 28, 2011 Sarah added it
Shelves: ya, novel, contemporary
Very underwhelming sequel. The whole book is muddled and the characters don't seem to make a lot of sense (Mimi, Eddie, and Tom in particular). The opposition between Belle wanting to have sex with her boyfriend and Em being pregnant is didactic -- just a "actions have consequences" lecture thinly wrapped in plot. And several plot lines that actually have you interested are not resolved (her seizures, why Tom doesn't want to have sex with her, why he flirts with Mimi, why Mimi is such a raging ...more
Angela
Dec 08, 2010 Angela rated it really liked it
Another great one by Carrie Jones. This one deals with different, edgy issues, again tastefully done even if I don't necessarily share the same moral values as the protagonist.

Things that made this book quirky and fun.

1. Tom makes things out of duct tape.
2. Belle lives for her friends but is constantly having them accuse her of being self-involved.
3. The evil boy next door ends up being not so evil.
4. Em, the observant, picture taking best friend who sees all kinds of things in others, doesn't
Kate
Nov 14, 2008 Kate rated it it was amazing
This book, the sequel to Tips on Having a Gay (Ex)Boyfriend, made me feel like I was in high school again. It was funny and sad and wonderful. And I was reminded that the tiniest sensory details can make a book shine. The rip in the vinyl seat of a pickup truck. A crack in the sidewalk that looks like New Hampshire. I was sad when this one ended.

Love (and Other Uses for Duct Tape) is what a young adult novel ought to be. Challenging and thought provoking, and always real and accessible. I teach
Stina
Apr 30, 2011 Stina rated it it was amazing
Shelves: wishlist, favorites
I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE Carrie Jones and I loved the book that came before this one (Tips on having a Gay Ex-Boyfriend) a TON too! That one was happier, I think, but this one dealt with heavier teenage issues. Either way, I would really really love for her to write another book about Belle, aka "Commie", and Em, (& Tom & Eddie & such.) Tom is the boyfriend every girl wishes for... besides, I love the duct tape thing. He's right, it does help make him manly. I know I would flinch ...more
Krista
Aug 12, 2012 Krista rated it it was amazing
Yay! Belle is just as awesomely amazing in this book as she was in 'Tops On Having A Gay (Ex-) Boyfriend'. This book was better though. I like the plot a lot more. I wasn't as "Aww poor Belle!" as the last book. For many reasons (most of them you have to have read the book to know) I reccomend this book.
Sherrill
Mar 20, 2010 Sherrill rated it really liked it
Belle, Tom, Emily, and Shawn. Senior year just got a little more interesting.

Most of us have been there. The drama, the fun, and the worries about yourself and your best friend.

Another good book by Carrie Jones.
Sonia
Apr 06, 2008 Sonia rated it it was ok
Perhaps the most frustrating "what? you're making this a series?!?!" There is absolutely no need to continue this story.. and Belle's whining about her gay ex-boyfriend (did he ever really love me?) and the fact her current boyfriend hasn't said "i love you" yet gets a bit tedious.
Ernica
Nov 23, 2012 Ernica added it
1.would love.to read spinoff book in.emily's point of view but i can probably guess what will happen.
2. no emily - belle is not selfish if she put your needs before hers.
3. this was totally forshadowed due to the walmart trip and playing with the little girls afterward.
4. ...
Valerie
Feb 16, 2011 Valerie rated it really liked it
This was a good teen book and a quick read. It wasn't a book that is going to stick with me forever, but it was definitely worth reading. The lists within made it pretty fun. I did wish that there were actual chapters, but I'm not sure why.
Mehvash
Jun 22, 2011 Mehvash rated it liked it
The main character at times got really annoying. For example: her lists, and the fact that she would have "bad" thoughts about other but as soon as she did she would start hating her self for having it. The book did contain a great message.
Terri
Mar 27, 2013 Terri rated it liked it
I really did like this book but I have to I agree with the other review that stated that nothing seemed to get resolved. It is like the last chapter was left out. I would give a 4th star if there were closure.
Julia
Aug 29, 2008 Julia rated it really liked it
This book was great. I wasn't too pleased with the ending because of one of her friends. If you read the book you would understand. Anyway, this book had it's happy and sad moments. Just like any book should, and it actually sounded like it could happen.
Jaime
Nov 26, 2010 Jaime rated it it was ok
Shelves: contemporary
I thought it read like a slightly grittier, whinier version of a Sarah Dessen novel. I found the characters more annoying than lovable, but it was still an okay read.
Paola
Oct 05, 2012 Paola rated it liked it
This book made me feel like a teenager again. And the finale just made it more real: it left me all worked up but nothing happened. Still a one-afternoon-read
Elle Warner
Sep 12, 2010 Elle Warner rated it really liked it
This was a good sequel, but i accidently read this book before the first one. Though i was still able to catch on to what was happening really quickly.
Michaella
this book was super good(; really completed the first novel.... the author does a really good job at always leaving the reader thinking...
Donna
Donna rated it really liked it
Oct 15, 2011
Joseph
Joseph rated it it was ok
Sep 17, 2011
Jenny
Jenny rated it liked it
Jan 21, 2013
Vonda Bohling
Vonda Bohling rated it it was amazing
Feb 09, 2013
Katherine Cromwell
Katherine Cromwell rated it really liked it
Jul 02, 2008
Billi
Billi rated it really liked it
Mar 02, 2012
Laura rated it really liked it
Oct 09, 2011
Alissa
Alissa rated it liked it
Dec 21, 2013
Good or not? 1 10 Jan 10, 2012 08:19AM
  • Twisted Sisters (Aspen Brooks, #2)
  • Falling Through Darkness
  • Fruits Basket Boxed Set (Volumes 1-4)
  • Donut Days
  • Jars of Glass
  • So Lyrical (So Lyrical, #1)
  • Queen of Secrets
  • Goddess Games
  • Waiting to Score
  • Wish You Were Here
  • A Vampire's Tale (Forbidden Alliance, #2)
  • Planet Pregnancy
  • Invisible Touch
  • The Miracle Stealer
  • The Other Girl (Midvale Academy, #2)
  • The Clique Set (The Clique, #1-10)
  • This Is What I Want to Tell You
  • Band Geek Love
Carrie Jones likes Skinny Cow fudgsicles and potatoes. She does not know how to spell fudgsicles. This has not prevented her from writing books. She lives with her cute family in Maine, but she grew up in Bedford, NH where she once had a séance with cool uber-comedian Sarah Silverman.

The Meyers brothers are from Bedford, too, so you’d think it would make Carrie funnier, coming from Bedford N.H. Ob
More about Carrie Jones...

Belle (2 books)
  • Tips on Having a Gay (Ex) Boyfriend (Belle, #1)

“Tell Me Whom You Love and I'll Tell You Who You Are” 4 likes