Start by marking “The Magic Christmas (Sweet Valley Twins Magna Edition #1)” as Want to Read:
The Magic Christmas (Sweet Valley Twins Magna Edition #1)

The Magic Christmas (Sweet Valley Twins Magna Editions #1)

4.01  ·  Rating Details  ·  642 Ratings  ·  62 Reviews
When Jessica and Elizabeth Wakefield's grandparents give them a pair of matching antique dolls for Christmas, they're a little surprised. Their grandparents should know they're too old to play with dolls! Then the twins learn that the dolls are a family legacy from a past generation of twins. But that's not all that's special about the dolls. Before they know it, Jessica a ...more
Published December 1st 1992 by Bantam Books (first published November 1st 1992)

To ask other readers questions about The Magic Christmas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Magic Christmas

Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark by Alvin SchwartzKristy's Great Idea by Ann M. MartinHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingDouble Love by Francine PascalHarry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J.K. Rowling
Young Adult Series Books published in the 80s & 90s
169th out of 559 books — 475 voters
A Christmas Carol by Charles DickensHow the Grinch Stole Christmas! by Dr. SeussThe Night Before Christmas by Clement C. MooreThe Polar Express by Chris Van AllsburgThe Best Christmas Pageant Ever by Barbara Robinson
Favorite Christmas Books
489th out of 795 books — 1,103 voters

More lists with this book...

Jackie
Apr 11, 2007 Jackie rated it it was amazing
Ok, yeah, I'm a little embarrassed to be giving a Sweet Valley Twins book 5 stars, but this one was totally different. See, the twins, they got sucked into a fantasy universe! One of them flew on a gigantic leaf! There was Magic! I loved it when I was a kid, and read it around Christmas every year until I was FAR too old for it. I think my copy is still lying about in a closet somewhere gathering dust, but I'm not going to part with it.
Michelle
Jan 14, 2012 Michelle rated it really liked it
Okay, my much younger self gives this 5 stars. Five shiny, giant stars. Which is why when I traded in most of my Sweet Valley Twin series to a used book store (biggest mistake of my young adult life!), I kept this one (thank God!). Probably my older sister would have killed me if I gave away this one...I believe I recall her loving it too.

Anyhoodle, so I reread this at Christmas this year as a...twenty-something year old (none of your GD business), and wow, it still is one of the best Sweet Val
Vanessa Valiente
Jul 15, 2010 Vanessa Valiente rated it it was amazing
This book definitely brings back memories when I was little. I used to read all the Sweet Valley twins books from each of the stages of life..College, High School, Middle School, and Elementary. This one though was my absolute favorite. I still have a copy of it, and I don't think I could part with it. I will definitely pass it on to my future children.
Jen
Every year or two, I whip out this book around Christmastime for a bit of nostalgia. I've been an avid Sweet Valley fan since I was 9 years old, and this was always one of my favorites. I still think it would make an excellent movie, if they would stick to the story! It has held up well over the years. Love it!
Dawn
Dec 29, 2012 Dawn rated it really liked it
I started reading this book when I was young and I loved it so much it became a tradition to read it each Christmas Eve. It's a cute, whimsical tale, and maybe just a tad corny. Elizabeth and Jessica Wakefield, of the Sweet Valley Twins series, are fighting on Christmas Eve, when their grandparents give them each a harlequin doll with a rhyme. When the girls solve the rhyme, they are transported to a magical world in which their harlequin dolls are cute, human boys. They proceed on an adventure, ...more
Alex
Dec 23, 2014 Alex rated it it was amazing
The 5 stars are for pure nostalgia, naturally.

I used to check this book out from the library every single Christmas when I was a kid. (This and The Evil Twin, of course. It's just not Christmas without Crazy Margo!) Unfortunately my library purged all the Sweet Valley books several years ago, so I haven't reread this book in probably 10 years. I happened to find it at Half Price Books last month, though, so Christmas clearly came early for me.

This book is all kinds of ridiculous and I love eve
Dani
Dec 20, 2015 Dani rated it it was amazing
Read this book every Christmas and have since I was a kid. I adore it! This year I wrote a post on Positively Present about what I've learned from it. You can check it out here: http://www.positivelypresent.com/2009...
Christine
Oct 12, 2007 Christine rated it it was amazing
I still read this book every year! Not because I'm emotionally stunted, but because this is a really great Christmas book that is heavy on the science fiction. A timeless classic (at least for any girl born in the '80s)!
Jessica
Apr 26, 2011 Jessica rated it it was amazing
With the new adult Sweet Valley book coming out, I've been thinking a lot about Jessica and Elizabeth. This was my absolute favorite of the series!
Nicole Pramik
Sep 17, 2015 Nicole Pramik rated it it was ok
It has been years (and, no, I'm not going to say how many) since I've read any of the Sweet Valley Twins books. I read them as a kid but quickly outgrew them, not so much in chronological age but in the nature and depth of their stories (or lack thereof, I should say). That doesn't make these books bad upfront, and probably the only readers who will be drawn to these are those who read them in their childhood/teen years. But for casual readers who know next to nothing about the series, they prob ...more
Gretchen
A friend recommended this book to me. She reads it every Christmas to get into the spirit, and this year she lent the book to me. It's a cute read. Even though I did read the Sweet Valley Twins books when I was a kid, I had never read this one.

Elizabeth and Jessica have a huge fight on Christmas Eve and refuse to speak to each other all day on Christmas Day. Their grandparents give them a set of harlequin dolls that belonged to their great-grandmother and her sister. Attached to the dolls is a
Brittany
Jan 21, 2010 Brittany rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: People reliving their Sweet Valley days
How I Came To Read This Book: I assume I got them at Christmas…but I have all three Sweet Valley Christmas books in my book collection to this day – the sole remainder of any sort of pre-teen lit I read back in the 90s.

The Plot: Call it the Diablo Cody effect, but there seems to be a lot about Sweet Valley out there these days (and BSC for that matter), which makes reflecting on the hilariousness of these books that much better. This is my favourite of the three Christmas editions as it’s basic
Ranee
Oct 16, 2012 Ranee rated it really liked it
Almost all the girls in my class were swooning over these twins and their dates and adventures, I wanted to know them too, I have to be "in'. I was in grade six then.
I would sit down beside my best friend, a certified expert on the lives of the Wakefield twins. She would narrate to us the latest story of the twins and I would dream of it. Then Christmas came, I could ask mom for a present, I bought this book because of the theme. I liked the plot a lot, it was partly based on the Nutcracker stor
Sara
Feb 12, 2014 Sara rated it it was amazing
I think this is the only "Sweet Valley" book I ever read. My aunt had the whole collection and I remember reading the back of this one and at seeing the word, "magic," I had to read it. It was such a great story, too. We need more magic doll stories. (Holly Black's "Doll Bones" is very good, too!) I was probably 10 or 11 when I read it. Never did try another in the series, though. Wonder if I missed anything?
Steffanie Blum
May 12, 2016 Steffanie Blum rated it it was amazing
This book was my everything when I was little. I carried it everywhere with me, read it when I got scared or when I couldn't sleep. In fact I'm staring at it right now on my book shelf right next to probably too many of SV books for a 28 year old. And I have no shame in that. At all
Katherine Schober
Aug 03, 2015 Katherine Schober rated it it was amazing
This is the book that made me fall in love with the fantasy genre. I love the travel to another world plot and the fun adventure the twins go on. It's one of the very best books I've ever read.
Davette
Apr 08, 2015 Davette rated it really liked it
I loved loved loved this book as a kid. It was much better than the other sweet valley books I read. This one went into a fantasy world that I was captivated by. I still own a copy of it :)
Elle
Jan 31, 2011 Elle rated it really liked it
I was a Sweet Valley fan as a youngster -- mostly SV High and University -- but none of those stories really stayed with me (at least, not to where I'd take the time to write a review). I'm feeling a fair amount of shame adding this to my collection, but....

I LOVED this book back then! And, honestly, I still adore it now. Dolls coming to life, riddles, princes, mermaids, curses, magic -- it's awesome and a must read for all young girls. Nostalgia probably plays a role because I don't know how I'
Delicious Strawberry
I read this book in middle school, and I cannot help but remember it after all this time. This had to be one of my favorite Sweet Valley books. I guess because of how unique it was, and some of the ideas in here.

The twins are whisked off to a magical world after receiving a pair of dolls that are supposed to be family heirlooms (how did they end up in the family anyway?) but their adventures are interesting. I liked the part with the mermaids (mermanons as they're called) and the way the twins h
MissNYix
Jan 26, 2016 MissNYix rated it it was amazing
I remember loving ever minute of this book. I could practically picture everything throughout their journey/adventure. One of the best Sweet Valley books.
MissNYix
Jan 24, 2016 MissNYix rated it it was amazing
I remember loving ever minute of this book. I could pratically picture everything throughout their journey/adventure. One of the best Sweet Valley books.
I am NOT going to go back and add all the sweet valley books, or all the babysitters club books etc that I loved as a kid. Mostly because I've reread them and while I still think they are great for the intended audience, it's crap to an adult. This one, though, would be great as a stand alone fantasy novel for kids, ignoring the Wakefield twins.

When I was young, I listed Jamie Suzanne as my favorite author. I thought I was so smart to know that Francine Pascal did NOT write the books. So, NOT E.
Miri
Aug 20, 2014 Miri rated it really liked it
Oh, I loved this book as a kid. I'd forgotten about it, but now it's the only one of the series I can still remember twenty years later.
Rachel
May 27, 2014 Rachel rated it it was amazing
I don't care, I loved this book when I was young and reread it even. Got to love nostalgia. 5 stars sweet valley twin Christmas, lol!
Beth E
Aug 28, 2015 Beth E rated it did not like it
Shelves: children-s
This is one book that I read as a child that I remember very, very clearly- and I wish I didn't.
Utterly ridiculous book.
Di
Dec 31, 2015 Di rated it it was amazing
It's been a very long time since the last time I read this book and even though I am now an adult, it was still as enjoyable as I remembered it being.
Sparrow
I read all the Sweet Valley High books but this one always stuck out to me.
Meg Hew
Oct 04, 2015 Meg Hew rated it it was amazing
Possibly my favorite book as a kid... read it so many times
Jenny
May 10, 2015 Jenny rated it it was amazing
I LOVED this book and re-read it a few times.
25/25
Stephanie Chambers
Nov 01, 2015 Stephanie Chambers rated it it was amazing
I used to re-read this every Christmas!
  • New York, New York! (The Baby-Sitters Club Super Special, #6)
Francine Pascal (May 13, 1938— ) is an American author best known for creating the Sweet Valley series of novels. In 1982 she created the characters and the stories for the first six books and her agent, Amy Berkower of Writers House sold them to Bantam Books. Book number one is mostly written by Ms. Pascal. From then on she wrote the stories for every book ever published in the series. After the ...more
More about Francine Pascal...

Sweet Valley Twins Magna Editions (3 books)
  • A Christmas Without Elizabeth (Sweet Valley Twins Magna Edition #2)
  • BIG for Christmas (Sweet Valley Twins Magna Edition, #3)