Start by marking “Wolfsjagd (The Dresden Files, #2)” as Want to Read:
Wolfsjagd (The Dresden Files, #2)

Wolfsjagd (The Dresden Files #2)

4.04  ·  Rating Details ·  118,399 Ratings  ·  5,084 Reviews
Wenn der Mond fahl am Himmel steht, wird Chicago von einer Mordserie in Angst und Schrecken versetzt. Fallen die Opfer in die Hände eines Psychopathen? Einer Gang? Oder etwas ganz anderem? Privatermittler Harry Dresden wird schneller, als ihm lieb ist, in diesen dunklen Fall verwickelt. Bei seinen Nachforschungen trifft er immer wieder auf Menschen, die ein Geheimnis haben ...more
Published January 31st 2007 by Knaur (first published January 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Wolfsjagd, please sign up.

Jeannette Joyce you can also try book swaps and look around 2nd hand stores you will be amazed on what you can find , this looks like a great series Ill have to read…moreyou can also try book swaps and look around 2nd hand stores you will be amazed on what you can find , this looks like a great series Ill have to read :)
(less)

Kat Kennedy
I've been told this series gets good at book three. Someone else said book four. Another, book six.

I promised to read until book seven, and I will. But Harry is seriously, seriously shitting me.

Harry Dresden is a Wizard private eye who works largely with the Chicago police department's Special Investigations officer, Murphy.

He has the most over-developed Hero complex of any protagonist I've ever read, to the point of ridiculous. I'm almost wondering whether his subconscious is guiding him toward
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

BR with my peeps at: Buddies Books and Baubles

Specifically: Robin (Bridge Four) , Jennavier , Jenny , Lila , oOSarahOo , Sh3lly (Not all those who wander are lost) , and Steven

I don't know if it was the lowered expectations from being told by every-friggin'-body that DRESDEN doesn't start "getting good" until book 3 or 4, or if it was how much cooler the book was than the TV episode based on this same installment, or something else entirely . . .

The why doesn't r
Markus

I looked up through the clear night at the almost-full moon. Werewolves jumping through windows at gangster's lackeys in unfinished restaurants. A mangled corpse in the middle of a blood-drenched floor. Berserk FBI field agents drawing guns and shooting to kill. A little kung fu, a little John Wayne, and a few casual threats.
So far, I thought, my nerves jangling, just one more night on the job.

Ah, the Dresden Files. Modern-day pulp fiction, and yet so fun to read.

Harry Dresden’s career
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
►►► Today is your lucky day. Yes it is.

Want know why? Well this was going to be one of my never-ending, ever-rambling reviews. This was going to be an ode to the awesomeness that is Harry D. I was going to go all "blah blah blah this is fantastic, blah blah blah this is so cool, blah blah blah Harry D. I love you even though you're not an asshole, blah blah blah I love what you do with your staff, blah blah blah blah blah blah" on you.

But I won't. Because as much as I love Harry I don't have t
Conor
This was an alright read but not one that has left me eager to tear into the next 13 books already published in this series. There was quite a bit of world-building, especially about werewolves, but I didn't find it particularly immersive. Like in the first book Butcher's attempts to integrate fantasy into the modern world feel kind of forced and these 2 worlds still don't relate to each other in a believable or compelling way.

I also struggled with the characters in this one. Harry was frustrat
Penny
Update 03-11-11(2): So my last update was hastily written, and in anger. Now that I've had time to cool off and think clearly I'm feeling bad. So here's another, less in-your-face way of saying it:

Warning: this review contains cheekiness. Please do not be offended or take this review too seriously as it is meant in jest. If you are a serious Dresden fan this review is probably not for you. So you should just read another review, k. Have a nice day. :)

Update 03-11-11: I've pretty much had it with
Justin
Jan 07, 2015 Justin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Well, I've copied my review from two years ago below, and I feel like it is pretty much on point with how I feel after reading the book a second time. Not really sure if I need to say much more. The only parts I really enjoyed were the scenes that alluded to Harry's past. I'm sticking around for more of that down the road, I hope.

The first half wasn't bad, and the book actually felt like it ended halfway through. It should have ended there. There's a big scene in the middle followed by a whole
Will M.
A gruesome murder comes along, and Harry Dresden's expertise is needed. A brutally mutilated corpse. Strange-looking paw prints. A full moon.

I really liked the first book of the series, and I was expecting a lot more from this. The premise screams werewolves, and that's actually my favorite supernatural creature. Werewolves are badass and ruthless, but once again, Butcher had his own take on the supernatural. He sort of mellowed it down, and made it more realistic. I don't hate his imaginative t
Heidi The Hippie Librarian
Back into the world of Harry Dresden through another excellent audio book presentation. Between Fool Moon and Scarlet by Marissa Meyer, I've been reading about werewolves a lot. Not that I'm complaining.

The interesting premise of this book is that there are multiple ways to become a werewolf and it explores the problems associated with each. I enjoyed the juxtaposition and creativity the author showed in developing the different types. I always assumed a werewolf was just an unfortunate who rece
Robin (Bridge Four)
Buddy read with a few friends at Buddies Books and Baubles.

description

Harry Dresden is going to grow on me. We have been on two outings now and already I see some real potential in this budding relationship between us.

Harry has a few things in his positive column right now:

✔ - Cool friends and acquaintances:
Bob – The skull animated by a sexually adventurous wind spirit who has the memory skills of a computer and a potions master status equivalent to Severus Snape.

Chauncy - Harry’s demon buddy who seems
Lyn
Jun 29, 2016 Lyn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fool Moon is Jim Butcher’s second Harry Dresden novel, first published in 2001 to wild acclaim and popularity.

And why not? Butcher knew back then that he had a winning formula and he does. Cool and charismatic protagonist, excellent world building, and a fun set of magic rules to make even the most cynical of urban fantasy readers to tune in like a Cubs-Sox game on WGN. Even Coach Ditka would no doubt no reveal a hint of a smile behind the sunglasses and mustache and say in a mid-western twang,
Brad
Jim Butcher achieves something that no other authors of urban fantasy have done (at least not the ones I've read); he expresses how wonderful it is to be producing magic in a world like ours.

I don't expect characters to be jazzed about their magic skills in a classic fantasy world, where magic is like bowling and everyone knows about it, most people have dabbled, but only a few can bowl anywhere near a perfect score.

Nor do I expect wizards to remain wide-eyed about their skills if they find them
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)

I can't review this properly. Harry Dresden took me right out of my book funk. I mean, who can be in a funk while listening to James Marsters??? No one! It is a proven fact.

I don't even care that James Marsters makes all of his characters sound almost the same. I don't care that he swallows and clears his throat all the time. His voice is perfect for Harry Dresden and I love him for it.

I love Bob the skull, I love how Harry cries when he is injured like a real person, I love the world that Jim
Lindsey Rey
May 08, 2015 Lindsey Rey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, mystery, 2015
Really enjoying this series! Can't wait for book 3!
Kate Lansky
May 19, 2010 Kate Lansky rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
A friend of mine adores this series, and sent my husband and me the entire thing. It showed up at our door in a big amazon box, and well, we got to reading. My husband is two books ahead of me, and promises me that things improve.

I dearly hope he's right.

First off, Butcher tries to pile WAY too much into this book. I hope this isn't a massive surprise, but guess what - this book is about werewolves. Now, you know how authors and movie makers, etc. will tell you "If you show the gun, you have to
Sh3lly ✨ Bring on the Weird ✨
I had a hard time getting into this one, but it was still pretty decent. Harry has to figure out who is killing people - and the victims look like they've been savaged by wolves. I'm not a huge werewolf fan, so maybe that is part of why this wasn't as interesting to me. But I did like how there are different types of werewolves in this world and I don't think any of them can be turned. It mainly involves magical spells or curses.

I find it annoying how Harry is always running off alone and rejec
Gary
This book is a fast paced urban fantasy novel that succeeds because of the likable characters and the well-designed world. Harry, the main character, is an archetypal everyman with spells.
The novel builds on the basic werewolf premise, but quickly evolves into a creative and original spin on what would seem a well told (or otherwise worn out) type of tale. The author’s skill, ingenuity and craftiness keep the plot fresh and entertaining.
The book borders on victim literature as Harry struggles t
Desperado
My Thoughts:

Alot of my friends (you know who you are) have been urging me to try this series for months. I read the first book, Storm Front back in August & I wasn't impressed. But I'm glad I decided to stick with it because Fool Moon kicked major ass. Friends, I am eternally grateful for the relentless peer-pressure & threats of bodily harm *cough cough* Catherine *cough cough* if I didn't give this series a go. Muah!

In the previous book, Harry Dresden had to battle a beyond nutso Warlo
Lisa Kay
Harry Dresden Fan Art ~ by thegryph (Nicole Cardiff)

★★★★ I love Harry Dresden. I love his duster, his blasting rod and staff, his shield bracelet and force rings, his mother’s silver pentacle amulet, and the way he keeps upgrading these - just like we all do with the technological toys that make our life easier. I love the way he talks about magic, and I love the way he combines elements to create his magic. I know, I should quit gushing and get to the storyline, but he’s just so loveable, even
Jody McGrath
Sep 27, 2016 Jody McGrath rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Harry the wizard is back. Nope, not that one. Harry Blackstone Copperfield Dresden. Wizard for hire. Harry hasn't had a lot of work come his way. He has been on the outs with Murphy his police officer friend who usually gives him work. When he does receive a call from her, he knows it is going to be a bad one. Yep, bad. Mangled corpse. Evisceration. Pools of blood. Oh yeah, and giant paw prints. The full moon brings out more than the crazies!

I love Harry. He is an honest-to-God good guy. But he
Philip
2.5ish stars.

I didn't love it.

Not that it's any worse than the first book, which sounds like a condemnation but it's not. The first book, Storm Front, was pretty good; it got my attention. I was expecting things to build on it in this book and beyond but, if anything, it feels to me like a "two steps back" situation. The decrease in rating is a reflection of frustrated expectations more than a reflection of decrease in quality.

Again, I didn't think the writing or the characterizations or anyt
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
I loved this book. Could it be my fixation with werewolves? Could it be how Butcher describes the various types of weres? Could it be the almost non-stop action? Or is the fact that I get more of one of my favorite characters? Probably a little of all of these.

Fool Moon takes of at a running pace after Storm Front. While Storm Front had to spend time in exposition, this world of Dresden is set up, so we can get more into the action. Harry has to deal with some seriously nasty werewolves, loup g
Scott  Hitchcock
90% of this book was a snorefest. It felt like one Adam 12 (look it up) in book form with a wizard thrown in. Then we get to the end and it turns awesome making me wonder if I should continue this or not. I know everybody says this gets better as the books go on but if he wastes the first quarter of every book letting us know who Harry is I won't make it. The last part when Harry transforms, to be vague and not spoil anything, is awesome. Great thought process and action.
Richard Derus
Rating: 3* of five

Someone help me here. These are compulsively readable books, and I grant Butcher full props for the ability to pace a story and parse a sentence with equal facility (not all that faint of a praise, believe you me), but these books have some je ne sais quoi that makes them into bestsellers.

WHAT IS IT?!?

I was interested enough in the story to read it in one long sitting, but upon sober reflection, I cannot begin to tell you why. It's not that good of a book. It's not a completely
Amanda
May 23, 2009 Amanda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my second Harry Dresden book and, after reading Storm Front, I have to say I was a little disappointed. It's an entertaining read, but I found the character of Harry to be inconsistent. Yeah, yeah, I know people are really just one big mass of contradictions and I'm usually the first to make that argument, but there were scenes that just didn't seem to fit. For instance, I cringed at the sex scene with Harry blubbering like a baby after Susan made some lame "I want to protect you from th ...more
Ethan
Apr 20, 2010 Ethan rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Well, my friend was right. This is better than the dreadful first book in the Jim Butcher Self-Actualization series. But not a whole lot better.

Harry Dresden should have been dead several times over, yet somehow manages to survive despite being terrifically stupid. Thank goodness his arch-nemeses (the innumerable people who somehow have it in for Dresden) are as incredibly stupid as he is, or else this series would have been over partway through the first book. Only a diabolical fiend would try
Jason
Jul 19, 2011 Jason rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books, read-2011
4 Stars

Hells Bells, after struggling with getting into this one, I found that I really enjoyed this book. I really do try to stay away from all things werewolves, as a result, I had to force myself to push on and finish this one. I am glad that I did.

This book played out better than the first book in the series. We are treated to even more world building, more backstory, more insight into Harry and his friends, and even a touch more from Bob, his totally cool, wise cracking side kick. I am reall
David Sven
Fool Moon – It’s got to be about werewolves right? Yes it is! Lots of werewolves. And different types of werewolves – You got your regular werewolf, then you have your Hexenwolf and then you got the biggest baddest mother of all werewolves the dreaded Lup-Garou.

Warning -these are not the cute and cuddly fluffy Twilight variety werewolf. Think more like claw your face off, disembowelment and, a personal favourite of mine, the good old rip the spine out the back trick. Yes, this book has a much h
Matt
Jun 02, 2008 Matt rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, mystery
'Fool Moon' is the third Harry Dresden book I've read.

I can't really decide if I want to like The Dresden Files more than I do, or if I want to not like them more than I do.

I like them page by page more than I like them book by book. While they make good page turners, there is still something which is on the net very unsatisfying about them.

The more I encounter Harry, the more annoying, whiney, and immature he seems. Despite seeming at times to be directly inspired by role playing games, the ac
TS Chan
While a lot of Dresden's fans indicate that the series starts getting better around Book 3 or 4, I thought that this book is already an improvement over Storm Front.

I really enjoyed Harry as a character in Fool's Moon, he is just so...real... and his internal monologues are hilarious, even while in the face of grim circumstances. Harry's back story is also being slowly teased out and I am super-invested in him at this point; there's absolutely no doubt now that I will keep on reading the Dresde
  • Hammered (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #3)
  • Just Another Judgement Day (Nightside, #9)
  • Roadkill (Cal Leandros, #5)
  • Unfallen Dead (Connor Grey, #3)
  • Vicious Circle (Felix Castor, #2)
  • Ashes of Honor (October Daye, #6)
Jim Butcher is the author of the Dresden Files, the Codex Alera, and a new steampunk series, the Cinder Spires. His resume includes a laundry list of skills which were useful a couple of centuries ago, and he plays guitar quite badly. An avid gamer, he plays tabletop games in varying systems, a variety of video games on PC and console, and LARPs whenever he can make time for it. Jim currently resi ...more
More about Jim Butcher...

The Dresden Files (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • Storm Front (The Dresden Files, #1)
  • Grave Peril (The Dresden Files, #3)
  • Summer Knight (The Dresden Files, #4)
  • Death Masks (The Dresden Files, #5)
  • Blood Rites (The Dresden Files, #6)
  • Dead Beat (The Dresden Files, #7)
  • Proven Guilty (The Dresden Files, #8)
  • White Night (The Dresden Files, #9)
  • Small Favor (The Dresden Files, #10)
  • Turn Coat (The Dresden Files, #11)

17 trivia questions
2 quizzes
More quizzes & trivia...
“I had to smile at the man. I mean, you have to smile at idiots and children.” 551 likes
“There's more magic in a baby's first giggle than in any firestorm a wizard can conjure up, and don't let anyone tell you any different.” 305 likes