Start by marking “Princeps' Fury (Codex Alera, #5)” as Want to Read:
Princeps' Fury (Codex Alera, #5)

Princeps' Fury (Codex Alera #5)

4.35  ·  Rating Details ·  44,573 Ratings  ·  828 Reviews
From the New York Times bestselling author of Captain's Fury and the Dresden Files novels.

Tavi of Calderon, now recognized as Princeps Gaius Octavian and heir to the crown, has achieved a fragile alliance with Alera's oldest foes, the savage Canim. But when Tavi and his legions guide the Canim safely to their lands, his worst fears are realized.

The dreaded Vord - the ene
Published November 25th 2008 by Ace

To ask other readers questions about Princeps' Fury, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Princeps' Fury

Evgeny
Oct 05, 2015 Evgeny rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Do not even try to read the blurb for this book as its first sentence gives a spoiler of the size of a blue whale (I mean the bigger specimens of that sea mammal):
Blue whale size
Fortunately here I am, describing the plot while trying to minimize the spoilers.

The other title for the book which works even better would be Tavi Come Home.
Yes, I am thinking about this movie:
Lassie Come Home
The big bad enemy of Alera is back and it got bigger and badder this time.
Big Bad Wolf
Believe it or not, the image is highly appropriate.

Usually Tavi s
Stephen
Sadly, this is a classic example of a star crossed reader/book relationship. Photobucket

I am only giving this 3.0 stars and yet I have almost nothing but positive comments to make about the novel. This is a well-written, terrific story with a nice balance between detail and pacing and with characters drawn and developed with enough weight that you can really care about them. The problem is simply that traditional high, epic fantasy and I have lately just not been clicking. It's all become a big, confusing
Lindsey Rey
Jun 08, 2014 Lindsey Rey rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, 2014
My least favorite book in the series so far. Hoping the final book is better!
Kathleen
Nov 08, 2015 Kathleen rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy-scifi, audio
In a fantastical setting, this plot involves a desperate and clever escape from hoards of merciless invaders. I enjoyed it, even though the plot didn't seem to require a whole book. But Butcher certainly created a sense of emergency. Apocalypse. Some sweet scenes (breakfast on the ship), some poignant scenes (reunion) and some surprising scenes (no telling).

I like the Canum wolf-people, including Varg and his son Nasaug. We also meet the Icemen, but...huh...they didn't add much to the book. Mayb
Jeffrey
Nov 26, 2008 Jeffrey rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: butcher fans of the codex alera.
Shelves: fantasy, read-in-2008
Jim
Again, no bloody map in the book! The only maps are in the 3d & 6th books. I paid over $10 each for these paperbacks, so you'd think they could spring for a damn map. There's a good selection here:
They're supposed to be for your computer wall paper, but print out in monochrome well.

contains a lot of maps of specific areas. I didn't find it all that useful & there are maps throughout the series, so it contains
Kate Coombs
Feb 16, 2009 Kate Coombs rated it it was amazing
My five stars are for the entire series, but I'm too busy (lazy!) to write a review for each book. I had faithfully read all of the Dresden Files books, but was less interested in the Alera series. Then I picked up the first one, and pretty soon I was madly reading the other four, completely engrossed. When I read something this compelling, I'm reminded why I'm a Reader!

When we first meet our hero, Tavi, he lives on a steadholt in the outer reaches of Alera with his uncle Bernard and his aunt Is
Jenna Kathleen
Jan 31, 2017 Jenna Kathleen rated it it was ok
There have been ups and downs throughout this series. There were moments when I was emotionally hurting because of what has happened to the characters, moments I suddenly perked up and my eyes enlarged in anticipation, moments when I felt complete satisfaction for a story coming to a close and moments I was thankful I had the next book because the one I had just read ended on such a perfect cliffhanger. This book had almost none of these moments.

After 5 books, I am pretty attached to some of the
Rob
Executive Summary: Princep’s fury was more enjoyable than I remember. Like it’s predecessors, it’s a blend of war, politics, romance, humor and magic that makes for a fun read.

Audio book: Kate Reading once again does gives an enjoyable reading. I’m pretty much repeating what I’ve said for the last 4 books. She’s becoming one of my favorite readers now.

Full Review
My recollection was this book was a step down after Captain's Fury. However I find myself changing my mind on this reread. Unlike tha
Tom
Apr 03, 2014 Tom rated it it was amazing
5 AGAIN! BTW I plagiarized my review below from a message I sent a friend as a rec...haha

Every book gets better and after every book I said how is it going to get better than this?!?! And it does! The first book I could see being a 4 star but I loved it and was in the mood for a world building adventure and wasn't really on the fence with my rating of 5 at the time. I question it now when compared to the rest of the books though. The next was a no doubt about it and every book got better till 5
Katerina
Nov 30, 2014 Katerina rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, favorites
"All things pass in time.
We are far less significant than we imagine ourselves to be. All that we are, all that we have wrought, is but a shadow, no matter how durable it may seem. One day, when the last man has breathed his last breath, the sun will shine, the mountains will stand, the rain will fall, the streams
will whisper—and they will not miss him."

You may be right Gaius Sextus,but until that day,the ones who matter will remember.People will remember a great man.He can achieve immortality
Tosh
Jul 22, 2015 Tosh rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, library-has
A very hesitant 3 stars.

Unfortunately, I didn’t enjoy this 5th installment as much as previous books. I slogged through the last 150 pages or so. I just wanted it over. Maybe I need a break, or maybe it just wasn't that good.

What I know for certain is that I’m sick to death of Isana. I’ve never cared too much for her character anyway, but now that she’s taken a larger role in the Realm she’s on my hit list.

1)I am completely done with her POV on every emotion.
2)(view spoiler)
Susanne
Jan 07, 2009 Susanne rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: absolutely everyone
Shelves: sff, 2015-re-reads
Butcher delivers once again. I bit many a nail waiting for this book, and then many more while reading it. Extensive action and battle sequences in this one, executed fantastically. What I love most about the Codex Alera, however, are the characters. Starting this book was like a family reunion, and sure enough, everyone's there. Tavi, Kitai, Max, Crassus, Magnus and Fidelias are travelling with the Canim to their home world. Amara, Bernard and everyone else is soon locked in deadly battle with ...more
M.F. Soriano
May 19, 2010 M.F. Soriano rated it liked it
An epic fantasy series that's getting too epic for it's own good. A lot of the fun in the first novels came from big personalities colliding, and from the sense of skill and resourcefulness shown by the protagonists during those collisions. The best parts in this book follow similar parameters, but the series' need to continue raising the stakes has forced most of the rest of the plot into bloated battles featuring hundreds of thousands of combatants. There isn't much room, anymore, for the clev ...more
Kj Lyman
May 05, 2016 Kj Lyman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
Man this series is really fun. Another great entry, with great twists and turns. The vord are such a confusing foe tho, lets hope in the final book things get resolved more clearly.
Sheyla ✎

“hardly a man ever made a fool of himself by keeping his bloody mouth shut.”

I LOVE THIS SERIES!

I can't believe there is only one book left after this one. What am I going to do? I will need to re-listen to all the audios. That's for sure.

I don't understand why this series is not in the movie theaters. It has great characters, amazing fight scenes, plenty of humor and romance. What's not to like?

Let me discuss the plot just a bit...

Tavi, now Princeps Gaius Octavian, has embarked with a float
Richard
Feb 12, 2013 Richard rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of epic fantasy and/or the Dresden Files
I finished all six volumes in Jim Butcher’s Codex Alera series, so I’m writing one review to cover the whole set. Regardless of which of the books this review is attached to, if you want to read this epic saga, start with the first book: Furies of Calderon . I’ve also read all fourteen of the full-length books in his Dresden Files, and there are some interesting points of comparison.

First and foremost, this is a well-crafted and engrossing tale — definitely worth reading.

The tale follows the li
Mike (the Paladin)
Mar 31, 2010 Mike (the Paladin) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
First let me say I'm a Jim Butcher fan. There are a few things here that keep me from going 5 stars on this book, but then in some ways this series suffers in that it will inevitably be compared to JB's other series about Harry Dresden. While these books are good, they just don't meet that mark.

I feel I need to be somewhat apologetic in saying that as I know the series means a lot to Mr. Butcher and he really wanted to write it. Don't get me wrong, Codex Alera is a great read.

This book picks up
Algernon
May 29, 2011 Algernon rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011
By this fifth volume all I'm interested in is to finish this series and get it over with.
It's not that it's a badly written story, or that the characters are unlikable, it's just that the plot is so ridiculously apocalyptic, the dialogue bombastically heroic and the good guys always face ridiculous odds and almost always come up to fight another day. The one exception is easy to guess if you check the title of the next book.
This fifth volume maintains the tone and the pace set in the previous bo
Cheryl Landmark
Aug 02, 2012 Cheryl Landmark rated it really liked it
What an action-packed, adrenaline-rushed, chaotic book! Tavi, now known as the Crown Prince and Gaius Octavian, once more found himself battling seemingly insurmountable odds and an enemy that just kept coming and coming despite every fury and weapon thrown against it.

The Vord were decidedly creepy, terrible, inhuman foes determined to destroy or subjugate everything in their path. Tavi once more had to rely on his wits, intelligence and clever brain to battle against such incredible demon spawn
Scott
Jun 10, 2015 Scott rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
I continue to find myself completely entertained and engrossed by these books. I love Tavi and his journey and I can't wait to see how it ends.

There was a little shakeup in this one with Tavi crossing the sea to Canea, but I found myself really enjoying it. It's just too bad we didn't get to see a fully functioning Canim society

Kitai continues to be one of my favorite characters. Her dry sense of humor and relationship with Tavi make for great reading. Isana also really shines in this one with
Yodamom
Feb 03, 2014 Yodamom rated it it was amazing
I just love this series, this author and all these characters. This one stepped it up another notch and had me holding my breath at many points in the story. I am so sad that there is only one more book in the series. There is good news, they are nice big books and last.
I can't tell you much without spoiling a fabulous journey. This is a series that must be followed from the beginning. I can tell you that there is huge escalation in the story line, a major character dies, and many truths are un
Nimrod Daniel
May 11, 2011 Nimrod Daniel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Another great book in the series!

The series so far is great, I really enjoy reading it. Maybe this one falls a bit in comparison to the superb first 4 books in the series (just a bit), the ending was great though (and it's funny that reading the last 20% took me much more time than reading the first 80%, but only due to lack of of time).

4.75-5 / 5
Kevin
Jun 17, 2014 Kevin rated it really liked it
Another great book in the Codex Alera series by Mr Butcher. Book five in a series of six and it is pretty much a series you need to read from book one onwards to book six. I look forward to reading and finishing the series and I highly recommend this book to epic fantasy fans.
Cori Reed
Aug 30, 2016 Cori Reed rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After a brief break from this series I was eager to get into the last two books.

Book five, while not my favourite, was still an intense ride I couldn't put down. I will immediately be starting book six to see how my friends defeat this impossible foe!
Rossana
Feb 04, 2017 Rossana rated it liked it
Shelves: fictional-bf, fantasy
So... I'm sad to say that I enjoyed this book a lot less than the last two enstallments in the series.
I think Princep's Fury has too many things going around to properly enjoy it: too many enemies, too many POVs, too many battles...
The great thing about the first 4 books in the series is that they mainy focus on one solid problem: the vord, the canim, the senate... instead, this last one is a mess and as a result everything seems underdeveloped.
I loved Tavi's chapters (as always) and I also love
drey
Sep 04, 2009 drey rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2009-reads, fantasy
Princeps' Fury is book number 5 in the Codex Alera series. Tavi has been recognized by his grandfather as the Crown Prince, and leaves to guide the Canim home, along with the Free Alerans. More for his own safety than anything, really. Seems the Alerans might have a problem with a Crown Prince without any furies.

What he finds when they reach the Canim mainland confirms his worst fears. The Vord have laid waste to the Canim lands, and only one holdout warrior-state remains. Tavi and Varg must con
Nick TheLibraryGuy
Jan 10, 2009 Nick TheLibraryGuy rated it liked it
First off, I enjoyed Princeps' Fury, so don't misunderstand the puny 3 star rating. What prevented it from reaching higher was my overall feeling while reading of "been there, done that."

Tavi's major encounters this time around are too familiar: The Canim and the Vord are the only major players from outside Alera. Yes, the Icemen are the focus of the introduction; I had high hopes that the constant state of war with them would finally get some treatment.

But it never came to pass.

Instead, I had t
Enzo
Jul 11, 2014 Enzo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This might sound repetitive but I think its merited. Jim Butcher keeps getting better and better. But this is not about him only its about his world Alera. The Codex Alera series has been getting better and better. I couldn't think of a way that it could get better then "Captains Fury" but he has with "Princeps Fury".
We pick up a couple of months after the ending of "Captains Fury" with the First Lord convening a High Lords Council to advise on a new threat on Alera this time by the Vord. This i
June
Jan 09, 2009 June rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Alera fans
Shelves: fantasy
  • Imager's Challenge (Imager Portfolio, #2)
  • Spirit's End (The Legend of Eli Monpress, #5)
  • When Darkness Falls (Obsidian Mountain, #3)
  • First Rider's Call (Green Rider, #2)
  • Wintertide (The Riyria Revelations, part #5)
  • Shadows Past (Borderlands, #3)
  • King's Shield (Inda, #3)
  • Beyond the Shadows (Night Angel, #3)
  • Spellbound (Grimnoir Chronicles, #2)
  • Dragon Blood (Hurog, #2)
  • Stormlord's Exile (Watergivers #3)
  • Dzur (Vlad Taltos, #10)
  • Lord of the Silent Kingdom (Instrumentalities of the Night, #2)
  • The Siren Depths (Books of the Raksura, #3)
  • Zero Sum (Zero Sight, #2)
  • Wind Rider's Oath (War God, #3)
Jim Butcher is the author of the Dresden Files, the Codex Alera, and a new steampunk series, the Cinder Spires. His resume includes a laundry list of skills which were useful a couple of centuries ago, and he plays guitar quite badly. An avid gamer, he plays tabletop games in varying systems, a variety of video games on PC and console, and LARPs whenever he can make time for it. Jim currently resi ...more
More about Jim Butcher...

Codex Alera (6 books)
  • Furies of Calderon (Codex Alera, #1)
  • Academ's Fury (Codex Alera, #2)
  • Cursor's Fury (Codex Alera, #3)
  • Captain's Fury (Codex Alera, #4)
  • First Lord's Fury (Codex Alera, #6)

“Knowledge is your weapon...Kill them with it.” 36 likes
“Isana stared at Gaius for a moment. Then she said, "How can you live with yourself?"

The First Lord stared at her for a moment, his eyes cold. Then he spoke in a very quiet, precise, measured voice. "I look out my window each day. I look out my window at people who live and breathe. At people who have not been devoured by civil war. At people who have not been ravaged by disease. At people who have not starved to death, who have not been hacked apart by enemies of humanity, at people who are free to lie and steal and plot and complain and accuse and behave in all manner of repugnant ways because the Realm stands. Because law and order stands. Because something other than simple violence shapes the course of their lives. And I look, wife of my son, mother of my heir, at a very few decent people who have had the luxury of living their lives without being called upon to make hideous decisions I would not wish upon my worst enemies, and who consequently find such matters morally appalling when they consider them--because they have not had to be the ones who dealt with them." He took a short, hard swallow of wine. "Feh. Aquitaine thinks me his enemy. The fool. If I truly hated him, I'd give him the Crown.”
23 likes