Start by marking “Princeps' Fury (Codex Alera, #5)” as Want to Read:
Princeps' Fury (Codex Alera, #5)

Princeps' Fury (Codex Alera #5)

4.35  ·  Rating Details  ·  38,707 Ratings  ·  707 Reviews
From the New York Times bestselling author of Captain's Fury and the Dresden Files novels.

Tavi of Calderon, now recognized as Princeps Gaius Octavian and heir to the crown, has achieved a fragile alliance with Alera's oldest foes, the savage Canim. But when Tavi and his legions guide the Canim safely to their lands, his worst fears are realized.

The dreaded Vord - the ene
Published November 25th 2008 by Ace

To ask other readers questions about Princeps' Fury, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Princeps' Fury

The Final Empire by Brandon SandersonThe Name of the Wind by Patrick RothfussHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingThe Way of Kings by Brandon SandersonThe Golden Compass by Philip Pullman
Most Interesting Magic System
138th out of 1,638 books — 6,009 voters
The Name of the Wind by Patrick RothfussHarry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. RowlingThe Wise Man's Fear by Patrick RothfussHarry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. Rowling
Best Fantasy Books of the 21st Century
205th out of 1,729 books — 6,156 voters

More lists with this book...

Evgeny
Oct 16, 2015 Evgeny rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Do not even try to read the blurb for this book as its first sentence gives a spoiler of the size of a blue whale (I mean the bigger specimens of that sea mammal):
Blue whale size
Fortunately here I am, describing the plot while trying to minimize the spoilers.

The other title for the book which works even better would be Tavi Come Home.
Yes, I am thinking about this movie:
Lassie Come Home
The big bad enemy of Alera is back and it got bigger and badder this time.
Big Bad Wolf
Believe it or not, the image is highly appropriate.

Usually Tavi s
Stephen
Sadly, this is a classic example of a star crossed reader/book relationship. Photobucket

I am only giving this 3.0 stars and yet I have almost nothing but positive comments to make about the novel. This is a well-written, terrific story with a nice balance between detail and pacing and with characters drawn and developed with enough weight that you can really care about them. The problem is simply that traditional high, epic fantasy and I have lately just not been clicking. It's all become a big, confusing
Kathleen
Nov 17, 2015 Kathleen rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy-scifi, audio
In a fantastical setting, this plot involves a desperate and clever escape from hoards of merciless invaders. I enjoyed it, even though the plot didn't seem to require a whole book. But Butcher certainly created a sense of emergency. Apocalypse. Some sweet scenes (breakfast on the ship), some poignant scenes (reunion) and some surprising scenes (no telling).

I like the Canum wolf-people, including Varg and his son Nasaug. We also meet the Icemen, but...huh...they didn't add much to the book. Mayb
Lindsey Rey
Dec 24, 2014 Lindsey Rey rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, 2014
My least favorite book in the series so far. Hoping the final book is better!
Jim
Oct 23, 2014 Jim rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Again, no bloody map in the book! The only maps are in the 3d & 6th books. I paid over $10 each for these paperbacks, so you'd think they could spring for a damn map. There's a good selection here:
They're supposed to be for your computer wall paper, but print out in monochrome well.

contains a lot of maps of specific areas. I didn't find it all that useful & there are maps throughout the series, so it contains
Jeffrey
Apr 02, 2010 Jeffrey rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: butcher fans of the codex alera.
Shelves: fantasy, read-in-2008
Tom
Apr 08, 2014 Tom rated it it was amazing
5 AGAIN! BTW I plagiarized my review below from a message I sent a friend as a rec...haha

Every book gets better and after every book I said how is it going to get better than this?!?! And it does! The first book I could see being a 4 star but I loved it and was in the mood for a world building adventure and wasn't really on the fence with my rating of 5 at the time. I question it now when compared to the rest of the books though. The next was a no doubt about it and every book got better till 5
Kate Coombs
Feb 16, 2009 Kate Coombs rated it it was amazing
My five stars are for the entire series, but I'm too busy (lazy!) to write a review for each book. I had faithfully read all of the Dresden Files books, but was less interested in the Alera series. Then I picked up the first one, and pretty soon I was madly reading the other four, completely engrossed. When I read something this compelling, I'm reminded why I'm a Reader!

When we first meet our hero, Tavi, he lives on a steadholt in the outer reaches of Alera with his uncle Bernard and his aunt Is
Katerina
Jun 02, 2015 Katerina rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, favorites
"All things pass in time.
We are far less significant than we imagine ourselves to be. All that we are, all that we have wrought, is but a shadow, no matter how durable it may seem. One day, when the last man has breathed his last breath, the sun will shine, the mountains will stand, the rain will fall, the streams
will whisper—and they will not miss him."

You may be right Gaius Sextus,but until that day,the ones who matter will remember.People will remember a great man.He can achieve immortality
Susanne
May 29, 2015 Susanne rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: absolutely everyone
Shelves: sff, 2015-re-reads
Butcher delivers once again. I bit many a nail waiting for this book, and then many more while reading it. Extensive action and battle sequences in this one, executed fantastically. What I love most about the Codex Alera, however, are the characters. Starting this book was like a family reunion, and sure enough, everyone's there. Tavi, Kitai, Max, Crassus, Magnus and Fidelias are travelling with the Canim to their home world. Amara, Bernard and everyone else is soon locked in deadly battle with ...more
Rob
Executive Summary: Princep’s fury was more enjoyable than I remember. Like it’s predecessors, it’s a blend of war, politics, romance, humor and magic that makes for a fun read.

Audio book: Kate Reading once again does gives an enjoyable reading. I’m pretty much repeating what I’ve said for the last 4 books. She’s becoming one of my favorite readers now.

Full Review
My recollection was this book was a step down after Captain's Fury. However I find myself changing my mind on this reread. Unlike tha
M.F. Soriano
May 19, 2010 M.F. Soriano rated it liked it
An epic fantasy series that's getting too epic for it's own good. A lot of the fun in the first novels came from big personalities colliding, and from the sense of skill and resourcefulness shown by the protagonists during those collisions. The best parts in this book follow similar parameters, but the series' need to continue raising the stakes has forced most of the rest of the plot into bloated battles featuring hundreds of thousands of combatants. There isn't much room, anymore, for the clev ...more
Scott
Jun 19, 2015 Scott rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
I continue to find myself completely entertained and engrossed by these books. I love Tavi and his journey and I can't wait to see how it ends.

There was a little shakeup in this one with Tavi crossing the sea to Canea, but I found myself really enjoying it. It's just too bad we didn't get to see a fully functioning Canim society

Kitai continues to be one of my favorite characters. Her dry sense of humor and relationship with Tavi make for great reading. Isana also really shines in this one with
Tosh
Sep 07, 2015 Tosh rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, library-has
A very hesitant 3 stars.

Unfortunately, I didn’t enjoy this 5th installment as much as previous books. I slogged through the last 150 pages or so. I just wanted it over. Maybe I need a break, or maybe it just wasn't that good.

What I know for certain is that I’m sick to death of Isana. I’ve never cared too much for her character anyway, but now that she’s taken a larger role in the Realm she’s on my hit list.

1)I am completely done with her POV on every emotion.
2)(view spoiler)
Richard
Feb 12, 2013 Richard rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of epic fantasy and/or the Dresden Files
I finished all six volumes in Jim Butcher’s Codex Alera series, so I’m writing one review to cover the whole set. Regardless of which of the books this review is attached to, if you want to read this epic saga, start with the first book: Furies of Calderon . I’ve also read all fourteen of the full-length books in his Dresden Files, and there are some interesting points of comparison.

First and foremost, this is a well-crafted and engrossing tale — definitely worth reading.

The tale follows the li
Algernon
May 29, 2011 Algernon rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011
By this fifth volume all I'm interested in is to finish this series and get it over with.
It's not that it's a badly written story, or that the characters are unlikable, it's just that the plot is so ridiculously apocalyptic, the dialogue bombastically heroic and the good guys always face ridiculous odds and almost always come up to fight another day. The one exception is easy to guess if you check the title of the next book.
This fifth volume maintains the tone and the pace set in the previous bo
Cheryl Landmark
Jan 01, 2013 Cheryl Landmark rated it really liked it
What an action-packed, adrenaline-rushed, chaotic book! Tavi, now known as the Crown Prince and Gaius Octavian, once more found himself battling seemingly insurmountable odds and an enemy that just kept coming and coming despite every fury and weapon thrown against it.

The Vord were decidedly creepy, terrible, inhuman foes determined to destroy or subjugate everything in their path. Tavi once more had to rely on his wits, intelligence and clever brain to battle against such incredible demon spawn
Mike (the Paladin)
Feb 07, 2012 Mike (the Paladin) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
First let me say I'm a Jim Butcher fan. There are a few things here that keep me from going 5 stars on this book, but then in some ways this series suffers in that it will inevitably be compared to JB's other series about Harry Dresden. While these books are good, they just don't meet that mark.

I feel I need to be somewhat apologetic in saying that as I know the series means a lot to Mr. Butcher and he really wanted to write it. Don't get me wrong, Codex Alera is a great read.

This book picks up
Yodamom
Feb 18, 2014 Yodamom rated it it was amazing
I just love this series, this author and all these characters. This one stepped it up another notch and had me holding my breath at many points in the story. I am so sad that there is only one more book in the series. There is good news, they are nice big books and last.
I can't tell you much without spoiling a fabulous journey. This is a series that must be followed from the beginning. I can tell you that there is huge escalation in the story line, a major character dies, and many truths are un
Kevin
Jun 17, 2014 Kevin rated it really liked it
Another great book in the Codex Alera series by Mr Butcher. Book five in a series of six and it is pretty much a series you need to read from book one onwards to book six. I look forward to reading and finishing the series and I highly recommend this book to epic fantasy fans.
Nimrod Daniel
Jan 09, 2014 Nimrod Daniel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Another great book in the series!

The series so far is great, I really enjoy reading it. Maybe this one falls a bit in comparison to the superb first 4 books in the series (just a bit), the ending was great though (and it's funny that reading the last 20% took me much more time than reading the first 80%, but only due to lack of of time).

4.75-5 / 5
Enzo
Jan 17, 2016 Enzo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This might sound repetitive but I think its merited. Jim Butcher keeps getting better and better. But this is not about him only its about his world Alera. The Codex Alera series has been getting better and better. I couldn't think of a way that it could get better then "Captains Fury" but he has with "Princeps Fury".
We pick up a couple of months after the ending of "Captains Fury" with the First Lord convening a High Lords Council to advise on a new threat on Alera this time by the Vord. This i
drey
Sep 04, 2009 drey rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2009-reads, fantasy
Princeps' Fury is book number 5 in the Codex Alera series. Tavi has been recognized by his grandfather as the Crown Prince, and leaves to guide the Canim home, along with the Free Alerans. More for his own safety than anything, really. Seems the Alerans might have a problem with a Crown Prince without any furies.

What he finds when they reach the Canim mainland confirms his worst fears. The Vord have laid waste to the Canim lands, and only one holdout warrior-state remains. Tavi and Varg must con
Nick TheLibraryGuy
Jan 17, 2009 Nick TheLibraryGuy rated it liked it
First off, I enjoyed Princeps' Fury, so don't misunderstand the puny 3 star rating. What prevented it from reaching higher was my overall feeling while reading of "been there, done that."

Tavi's major encounters this time around are too familiar: The Canim and the Vord are the only major players from outside Alera. Yes, the Icemen are the focus of the introduction; I had high hopes that the constant state of war with them would finally get some treatment.

But it never came to pass.

Instead, I had t
Sean McBride
Sep 08, 2015 Sean McBride rated it it was ok
I honestly think I gave this two stars instead of one because i enjoy the series and I enjoy Butcher's writing. I read an article before reading this book in which Butcher said that he had a ton of trouble writing this one. You can tell by the story line. It's loose and sloppy and slapped together. You can feel through his words that he knew how the series was going to end and he just wanted to get to it. This book didn't have any of the love that you get in the other books. You don't get any of ...more
June
Mar 14, 2011 June rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Alera fans
Marcela (BookaholicCat)
Jul 26, 2014 Marcela (BookaholicCat) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
4 Stars
Another great installment... Now, onto the next and last audiobook in this series.
Wayland Smith
Jan 22, 2016 Wayland Smith rated it really liked it
Book five of a series, so really, seriously don't start here!

The Vord are spreading through all of the known lands, and the uneasy alliance of forces has to keep from killing each other long enough to stop them. Some are very slow to let go of the old hatred and distrust, and it doesn't make the battles any easier.

Tavi is in the Canim's lands, dealing with another front of the Vord War. The Canim and the Legions need to trust each other long enough to fight the Vord before their lands are utter
Chris
Nov 08, 2015 Chris rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I am sorry to report there are no Roman legionnaires vs nine-foot tall wolf men fights in this book. I am not sorry to report that there are legionnaires and nine-foot tall wolf men vs horde of alien bugs fights here. Because that's just as awesome and somewhat more horrifying.

So, thoughts. The Vord are still scary as all hell. It's weird because they're entirely fictional, there's nothing in life that they really parallel but they still scare me. I mean, there's little reason for me to worry ab
♡Esra♡
Apr 09, 2014 ♡Esra♡ rated it it was amazing
I'm probably in love with this series. After the third book it became hard to let it go. I'm just jumping from book to book and now I'm sad that I'm moving on to the last book. I'm glad that these are not short books but still, I wouldn't mind 4 or 5 books more about this world.

I love Varg and I find the relationship Tavi have with the Canim really interesting so I was happy to be in their world this time. And actually can't wait to get to the biggest battle of them all, with everybody, every e
  • Imager's Intrigue (Imager Portfolio, #3)
  • To Light a Candle (Obsidian Mountain, #2)
  • Heir of Novron (The Riyria Revelations, Vol 3)
  • The Spirit War (The Legend of Eli Monpress, #4)
  • Dzur (Vlad Taltos, #10)
  • Dragon Blood (Hurog, #2)
  • Zero Sum (Zero Sight, #2)
  • Hammered (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #3)
  • The King's Own (Borderlands, #2)
  • Shadow's Edge (Night Angel, #2)
  • The Blood King (Chronicles of the Necromancer, #2)
  • Warbound (Grimnoir Chronicles, #3)
  • The Desert Spear (Demon Cycle, #2)
Jim Butcher is the author of the Dresden Files, the Codex Alera, and a new steampunk series, the Cinder Spires. His resume includes a laundry list of skills which were useful a couple of centuries ago, and he plays guitar quite badly. An avid gamer, he plays tabletop games in varying systems, a variety of video games on PC and console, and LARPs whenever he can make time for it. Jim currently resi ...more
More about Jim Butcher...

Codex Alera (6 books)
  • Furies of Calderon (Codex Alera, #1)
  • Academ's Fury (Codex Alera, #2)
  • Cursor's Fury (Codex Alera, #3)
  • Captain's Fury (Codex Alera, #4)
  • First Lord's Fury (Codex Alera, #6)

“Knowledge is your weapon...Kill them with it.” 32 likes
“Isana stared at Gaius for a moment. Then she said, "How can you live with yourself?"

The First Lord stared at her for a moment, his eyes cold. Then he spoke in a very quiet, precise, measured voice. "I look out my window each day. I look out my window at people who live and breathe. At people who have not been devoured by civil war. At people who have not been ravaged by disease. At people who have not starved to death, who have not been hacked apart by enemies of humanity, at people who are free to lie and steal and plot and complain and accuse and behave in all manner of repugnant ways because the Realm stands. Because law and order stands. Because something other than simple violence shapes the course of their lives. And I look, wife of my son, mother of my heir, at a very few decent people who have had the luxury of living their lives without being called upon to make hideous decisions I would not wish upon my worst enemies, and who consequently find such matters morally appalling when they consider them--because they have not had to be the ones who dealt with them." He took a short, hard swallow of wine. "Feh. Aquitaine thinks me his enemy. The fool. If I truly hated him, I'd give him the Crown.”
21 likes