Start by marking “Princeps' Fury (Codex Alera, #5)” as Want to Read:
Princeps' Fury (Codex Alera, #5)

Princeps' Fury (Codex Alera #5)

4.34 of 5 stars 4.34  ·  rating details  ·  30,879 ratings  ·  595 reviews
From the New York Times bestselling author of Captain�s Fury and the Dresden Files novels.

Tavi of Calderon, now recognized as Princeps Gaius Octavian and heir to the crown, has achieved a fragile alliance with Alera�s oldest foes, the savage Canim. But when Tavi and his legions guide the Canim safely to their lands, his worst fears are realized.

The dreaded Vord�the enemy
Published November 25th 2008 by Ace Hardcover (first published July 7th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Princeps' Fury, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Princeps' Fury

Mistborn by Brandon SandersonThe Name of the Wind by Patrick RothfussHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingThe Way of Kings by Brandon SandersonThe Golden Compass by Philip Pullman
Most Interesting Magic System
141st out of 1,461 books — 4,986 voters
The Name of the Wind by Patrick RothfussHarry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. RowlingA Storm of Swords by George R.R. MartinHarry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. Rowling
Best Fantasy Books of the 21st Century
187th out of 1,372 books — 4,963 voters

More lists with this book...

Stephen
Sadly, this is a classic example of a star crossed reader/book relationship. Photobucket

I am only giving this 3.0 stars and yet I have almost nothing but positive comments to make about the novel. This is a well-written, terrific story with a nice balance between detail and pacing and with characters drawn and developed with enough weight that you can really care about them. The problem is simply that traditional high, epic fantasy and I have lately just not been clicking. It's all become a big, confusing
Jim
Again, no bloody map in the book! The only maps are in the 3d & 6th books. I paid over $10 each for these paperbacks, so you'd think they could spring for a damn map. There's a good selection here:
They're supposed to be for your computer wall paper, but print out in monochrome well.

contains a lot of maps of specific areas. I didn't find it all that useful & there are maps throughout the series, so it contains
Jeffrey
Apr 02, 2010 Jeffrey rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: butcher fans of the codex alera.
Shelves: fantasy, read-in-2008
Tom
5 AGAIN! BTW I plagiarized my review below from a message I sent a friend as a rec...haha

Every book gets better and after every book I said how is it going to get better than this?!?! And it does! The first book I could see being a 4 star but I loved it and was in the mood for a world building adventure and wasn't really on the fence with my rating of 5 at the time. I question it now when compared to the rest of the books though. The next was a no doubt about it and every book got better till 5
Kate Coombs
My five stars are for the entire series, but I'm too busy (lazy!) to write a review for each book. I had faithfully read all of the Dresden Files books, but was less interested in the Alera series. Then I picked up the first one, and pretty soon I was madly reading the other four, completely engrossed. When I read something this compelling, I'm reminded why I'm a Reader!

When we first meet our hero, Tavi, he lives on a steadholt in the outer reaches of Alera with his uncle Bernard and his aunt Is
Susanne
Jan 07, 2009 Susanne rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: absolutely everyone
Shelves: sff
Butcher delivers once again. I bit many a nail waiting for this book, and then many more while reading it. Extensive action and battle sequences in this one, executed fantastically. What I love most about the Codex Alera, however, are the characters. Starting this book was like a family reunion, and sure enough, everyone's there. Tavi, Kitai, Max, Crassus, Magnus and Fidelias are travelling with the Canim to their home world. Amara, Bernard and everyone else is soon locked in deadly battle with ...more
Rob
Executive Summary: Princep’s fury was more enjoyable than I remember. Like it’s predecessors, it’s a blend of war, politics, romance, humor and magic that makes for a fun read.

Audio book: Kate Reading once again does gives an enjoyable reading. I’m pretty much repeating what I’ve said for the last 4 books. She’s becoming one of my favorite readers now.

Full Review
My recollection was this book was a step down after Captain's Fury. However I find myself changing my mind on this reread. Unlike that
Richard
Feb 12, 2013 Richard rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fans of epic fantasy and/or the Dresden Files
I finished all six volumes in Jim Butcher’s Codex Alera series, so I’m writing one review to cover the whole set. Regardless of which of the books this review is attached to, if you want to read this epic saga, start with the first book: Furies of Calderon . I’ve also read all fourteen of the full-length books in his Dresden Files, and there are some interesting points of comparison.

First and foremost, this is a well-crafted and engrossing tale — definitely worth reading.

The tale follows the lif
Cheryl Landmark
What an action-packed, adrenaline-rushed, chaotic book! Tavi, now known as the Crown Prince and Gaius Octavian, once more found himself battling seemingly insurmountable odds and an enemy that just kept coming and coming despite every fury and weapon thrown against it.

The Vord were decidedly creepy, terrible, inhuman foes determined to destroy or subjugate everything in their path. Tavi once more had to rely on his wits, intelligence and clever brain to battle against such incredible demon spawn
M.F. Soriano
An epic fantasy series that's getting too epic for it's own good. A lot of the fun in the first novels came from big personalities colliding, and from the sense of skill and resourcefulness shown by the protagonists during those collisions. The best parts in this book follow similar parameters, but the series' need to continue raising the stakes has forced most of the rest of the plot into bloated battles featuring hundreds of thousands of combatants. There isn't much room, anymore, for the clev ...more
Mike (the Paladin)
First let me say I'm a Jim Butcher fan. There are a few things here that keep me from going 5 stars on this book, but then in some ways this series suffers in that it will inevitably be compared to JB's other series about Harry Dresden. While these books are good, they just don't meet that mark.

I feel I need to be somewhat apologetic in saying that as I know the series means a lot to Mr. Butcher and he really wanted to write it. Don't get me wrong, Codex Alera is a great read.

This book picks up
Yodamom
I just love this series, this author and all these characters. This one stepped it up another notch and had me holding my breath at many points in the story. I am so sad that there is only one more book in the series. There is good news, they are nice big books and last.
I can't tell you much without spoiling a fabulous journey. This is a series that must be followed from the beginning. I can tell you that there is huge escalation in the story line, a major character dies, and many truths are un
Kevin
Another great book in the Codex Alera series by Mr Butcher. Book five in a series of six and it is pretty much a series you need to read from book one onwards to book six. I look forward to reading and finishing the series and I highly recommend this book to epic fantasy fans.
Nimrod Daniel
Another great book in the series!

The series so far is great, I really enjoy reading it. Maybe this one falls a bit in comparison to the superb first 4 books in the series (just a bit), the ending was great though (and it's funny that reading the last 20% took me much more time than reading the first 80%, but only due to lack of of time).

4.75-5 / 5
Kat H.
"All things pass in time.
We are far less significant than we imagine ourselves to be. All that we are, all that we have wrought, is but a shadow, no matter how durable it may seem. One day, when the last man has breathed his last breath, the sun will shine, the mountains will stand, the rain will fall, the streams
will whisper—and they will not miss him."

You may be right Gaius Sextus,but until that day,the ones who matter will remember.People will remember a great man.He can achieve immortality
Enzo
This might sound repetitive but I think its merited. Jim Butcher keeps getting better and better. But this is not about him only its about his world Alera. The Codex Alera series has been getting better and better. I couldn't think of a way that it could get better then "Captains Fury" but he has with "Princeps Fury".
We pick up a couple of months after the ending of "Captains Fury" with the First Lord convening a High Lords Council to advise on a new threat on Alera this time by the Vord. This i
Algernon
By this fifth volume all I'm interested in is to finish this series and get it over with.
It's not that it's a badly written story, or that the characters are unlikable, it's just that the plot is so ridiculously apocalyptic, the dialogue bombastically heroic and the good guys always face ridiculous odds and almost always come up to fight another day. The one exception is easy to guess if you check the title of the next book.
This fifth volume maintains the tone and the pace set in the previous bo
drey
Princeps' Fury is book number 5 in the Codex Alera series. Tavi has been recognized by his grandfather as the Crown Prince, and leaves to guide the Canim home, along with the Free Alerans. More for his own safety than anything, really. Seems the Alerans might have a problem with a Crown Prince without any furies.

What he finds when they reach the Canim mainland confirms his worst fears. The Vord have laid waste to the Canim lands, and only one holdout warrior-state remains. Tavi and Varg must con
June
Mar 14, 2011 June rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Alera fans
Shelves: fantasy
Marcela (BookaholicCat)
4 ½ Stars
Another great installment... Now, onto the next and last audiobook in this series.
♡Esra♡
I'm probably in love with this series. After the third book it became hard to let it go. I'm just jumping from book to book and now I'm sad that I'm moving on to the last book. I'm glad that these are not short books but still, I wouldn't mind 4 or 5 books more about this world.

I love Varg and I find the relationship Tavi have with the Canim really interesting so I was happy to be in their world this time. And actually can't wait to get to the biggest battle of them all, with everybody, every e
Cissa
About 2/3rds of the way in: Butcher has sat on some of his quirks in this one, Thus far, my highest count-per-page for "quietly" used to modify "said" is 3, and that only happened once; in the previous volume, I had at least 2 hits of 5 per page. I'm not sure that I enjoy "rumbled" as a synonym for "said", especially not 2+ times per page... but at least it's not the overuse of "quietly".

I wish the plot was twistier, though; it's more in the Good Guys/Bad Guys line. And i don't think the Vord- t
Gabrielle Morgan
It's crazy to me that I /know/ I read this book, but I couldn't remember a single thing about it. Every plot point, save one, was entirely a surprise to me. And the one is the only reason I'm absolutely sure my memory of reading it is accurate.

Which I guess really leads to my only real complaint with the book, and the series as a whole to this point. For everything that happens, it's so hard to really /feel/ for the characters. I enjoy them a lot, several of them, but with a couple exceptions, I
Heather Thomas
Let me just start of by saying that I am a huge supporter of Jim Butcher. I have devoured all of the Dresden files (all eleven with in 3 weeks). So when I say the Captain's Fury and the Princep's Fury sitting their on the library shelf I was grinning ear to ear.

However a sad reality of my beyond humanly possible high expectations is that every one is human and tries to please the masses by what is known and comfortable. This is a good summation of about 75-100 pages of the story. One of my worst
Kat  Hooper
Tavi and his companions are escorting the Canim back to their home across the sea. When they arrive they find that the Canim’s land has been invaded by the Vord. Back home in Alera, unbeknownst to Tavi, his countrymen are also being overrun by the Vord and Amara, Isana, Bernard, and the First Lord are on the front lines. Will the Vord conquer both Alera and Canim, or can Tavi and Isana negotiate alliances with a couple of Alera’s enemies so they can fight the Vord horde together?

Princeps’ Fury i
James
Once again, this will be short as I have read these books way to fast to separate them well enough in my mind to give detailed reviews in each.

The plot. It wasn't as good as the previous books I feel. It was necessary, and I appreciate that, but at the same time I feel that it didn't add as much as it did in the previous books. That of course is not to say that it is a bad plot; not by a long shot. It is captivating, fun and most of all intriguing and well within the boundaries of excellence of
Rachel Blackman
While we've always had diverging storylines in the Codex Alera books, this is the first time that the two storylines did not directly intersect (well, until the last paragraph of the last page!), which I found slightly disorienting. Hence the four stars.

On the other hand, many threads from earlier books are starting to come together, and this was overall as enjoyable a read as I've come to expect from the Alera books. We finally get to understand a bit more of what happened to Septimus all those
Dantezgirl

Nice finally got to see Lord Antillas in action (Bad ass) He really does sound like a tired old legion missing his sons and home. Actually, glad he does speak of BOTH his sons. It's nice. Why weren't more Ladies/Lords out fighting?

Tavi and Co are off on their journey to the Cane Islands. Once again, poor Tavi was seasick. Poor guy. I just find it humanly reassuring.

Ehren is on a mission, and natch, runs into the Vord LOL. By accident no less. A good action packed start. Ah shit. Forgot you can
Joe Moley
Wow.

First off, I am a huge fan of Butcher's Dresden books. His fantasy series has always played second fiddle in my opinion. Don't get me wrong, they're good. But so far, they've been simply that. I don't enjoy the series enough to fork out the extra cash for hardback releases so I've been stuck waiting on the paperback version. Having the kindle gave me an opportunity to purchase this at a lower cost so I figured what the heck.

I'm so glad I did.

Easily the best book in the series by far. I cou
Nick TheLibraryGuy
First off, I enjoyed Princeps' Fury, so don't misunderstand the puny 3 star rating. What prevented it from reaching higher was my overall feeling while reading of "been there, done that."

Tavi's major encounters this time around are too familiar: The Canim and the Vord are the only major players from outside Alera. Yes, the Icemen are the focus of the introduction; I had high hopes that the constant state of war with them would finally get some treatment.

But it never came to pass.

Instead, I had t
  • Imager's Challenge (Imager Portfolio, #2)
  • Rise of Empire (The Riyria Revelations, #3-4)
  • Shadow's Edge (Night Angel, #2)
  • Dragon Blood (Hurog, #2)
  • King's Shield (Inda, #3)
  • Hammered (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #3)
  • Zero Sum (Zero Sight, #2)
  • Spellbound (Grimnoir Chronicles, #2)
  • The King's Own (Borderlands, #2)
  • Elantris (Elantris, #1)
  • When Darkness Falls (Obsidian Mountain, #3)
  • Victory of Eagles (Temeraire, #5)
  • The Spirit War (The Legend of Eli Monpress, #4)
  • The Dresden Files:  Storm Front, Volume 1:  The Gathering Storm
  • The Line of Illeniel (Mageborn, #2)
Jim Butcher is the author of the Dresden Files, the Codex Alera, and a new steampunk series, the Cinder Spires. His resume includes a laundry list of skills which were useful a couple of centuries ago, and he plays guitar quite badly. An avid gamer, he plays tabletop games in varying systems, a variety of video games on PC and console, and LARPs whenever he can make time for it. Jim currently resi ...more
More about Jim Butcher...
Storm Front (The Dresden Files, #1) Fool Moon (The Dresden Files, #2) Grave Peril (The Dresden Files, #3) Summer Knight (The Dresden Files, #4) Death Masks (The Dresden Files, #5)

“Knowledge is your weapon...Kill them with it.” 24 likes
“Isana stared at Gaius for a moment. Then she said, "How can you live with yourself?"

The First Lord stared at her for a moment, his eyes cold. Then he spoke in a very quiet, precise, measured voice. "I look out my window each day. I look out my window at people who live and breathe. At people who have not been devoured by civil war. At people who have not been ravaged by disease. At people who have not starved to death, who have not been hacked apart by enemies of humanity, at people who are free to lie and steal and plot and complain and accuse and behave in all manner of repugnant ways because the Realm stands. Because law and order stands. Because something other than simple violence shapes the course of their lives. And I look, wife of my son, mother of my heir, at a very few decent people who have had the luxury of living their lives without being called upon to make hideous decisions I would not wish upon my worst enemies, and who consequently find such matters morally appalling when they consider them--because they have not had to be the ones who dealt with them." He took a short, hard swallow of wine. "Feh. Aquitaine thinks me his enemy. The fool. If I truly hated him, I'd give him the Crown.”
14 likes