Silk (Heart of India, #1)

Silk (Heart of India #1)

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  837 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Two worlds clash as a young English heiress and an orphaned boy, an "untouchable," become inextricably entwined,
Coral Kendall is an heiress to the Kingscote Silk Plantation in northern India in the last decade of the 1700s. Breaching cultural boundaries and shunning the scorn of her wealthy English family, she adopts a young orphaned boy, an "Untouchable" from the bottom o...more
Published March 1st 1993 by Bethany House Publishers (first published February 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Silk, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Silk

Graceofthevalar
This is a FANTASTIC trilogy that deserves to be better known. (My favorite of the books is the second, "Under Eastern Stars".)

One of the best things about this series is that the characters' personal relationships with Jesus was strongly emphasized (was reminded of this by someone else's review). Having read a lot of historical Christian fiction, I've been disappointed several times with the fact that authors market their stories as Christian, but instead focus almost solely on a love story that...more
Debbie
"Silk" is a Christian historical novel set in 1793 to 1799 in northeast India and in London, England. This book is the first in a trilogy, but I didn't realize that when I picked it out. I kept waiting for the pace to pick up so that something would get resolved before the end, but it didn't. Very little was resolved, and it ended like the end of a chapter instead of the book. (The next book does, indeed, pick up exactly where this one left off.)

Though the back cover book description indicates t...more
The India silk plantation of Kingscote has always been Coral's home. Her father owns Kingscote and Coral is a silk heiress. But she's no ordinary silk heiress concerned only with dresses and finding a husband with wealth enough to match her own. When Coral selflessly promises to raise her dying friend's baby boy, she places herself in the middle of a complex and far-reaching web of secrets. That some will stop at nothing to hide. When the Gem, the boy that Coral has come to see as her son, is ki...more
Valentina
AHHHH!!! I just love this triology!
It is probably one of my most favorite. I have read it in two languages and own it.
It is about a youngwoman named Coral Kendall that lives in India, with her family on the Kendall plantaion that makes silk. She adopts her friend's baby boy after she [her friend:] dies giving birth, and names the boy Gem. Then one night he is forcefully taken away from her, and killed and thrown into the river. But Coral has her doubts that the dead child was really Gem. The st...more
Thomasin
Haven't thought about this author or book in a decade. I remember loving the story. Cannot promise I'd feel the same way today, but would be interested in a re-read at some point.
Anita
This was a bit of a disappointment. The christian theme was over powering and I felt unrealistic for instance the year is 1793 and the main characters mother baptizes a native in India. I felt that was far fetched for the time period. I kept waiting for a resolution between the love interests, only to find that the book is the first in a series that is more like a soap opera than a seperate book in a series. Bugging! I don't think I'll read the other books in the series, the only reason I finish...more
Hoover Public Library Adult Fiction
Silk is book one of the Heart of India Trilogy by Linda Chaikin. The story follows Coral, the daughter of a silk plantation owner and Christian missionaries living in India. After her best friend, an untouchable, dies in childbirth, Coral adopts her friend's son and plans to raise him as her own. When her son is kidnapped, Coral must uncover his true identity if she plans to save him from almost certain death.

This is one of those books that I have read every year for the last 10 years. That is...more
Anna
At first this book was very interesting then when you got to the middle it satrted slowing down a bit but it picked back up again by the end. Really moving story about Coral and Gem and her desire to find him if he is still alive. I like looking at everything from Jace's perspective what he went through growing up and his life. Really excited to read the next one!
Tanya
Loved the last obvious suspense of a romantic story born and sustained through all the usual break-ups. Great historic setting from England to India,not forgetting Spain. Great christian and spirituality setting too,atleast it makes you relate.
Jeannie
It was good. A little disappointed that it did not wrap things up at the end, especially since the 2nd book in the series is not available at my local library. It looks like I will have to buy book 2 if I am going to finish the series.
Morgan Cleere
This is a book full of both internal and external conflict. Their is betrayal, adventure, romance, peril... I really enjoyed it. Although I first read it in Middle School, it is a book that I enjoy reading over again and again.
Jenny Hintz
Linda Chaikin is an excellent author and all of her books contain a lot of romance, drama, and suspense. My favorite series by her is Heart of India. The exotic location adds to the appeal.
Alexandra Momčilović
What better way to spend the Easter long weekend than re-reading this old favorite?! Looking forward to continuing Jace and Coral's journey in the next 2 books!
Carrie Loofbourrow
This is one of the most amazing novels I have ever read! Definitely a top favorite book and author!!! Seth and I highly recommend =)
Adrianna
I have enjoyed this series, these books really fuel your imagination.........I think I'll make a trip to India....
Olean Public Library
Awesome family saga about the silk trade in India in the 1880s. Great characters and scenery descriptions.
Joy
This was my favorite book when I was younger. So great(: I have very fond memories of this one.
Prettyinpink Cutiepie
Mar 16, 2010 Prettyinpink Cutiepie marked it as to-read
It was okay. but the story line just wasn't drawing me to read it constantly.
Michelle
good--need to get sequel--lot about India and missionaries
Zuzana899
I like the romance. The religious parts not so much.
Tabatha
a good book about christianity and love
Melinda
Well, its official. I'm obsessed.
Phage
A very good book.
Annah
Feb 25, 2011 Annah added it
Used to be my favorite book set until I became Catholic. Now I see many misinterpretations of the Church and it is obvious they are from someone who has no experience with the Church.
Jesseca
LOVE ITTTTT!!!!!!!
Jacinta
Jacinta marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2014
Julia
Julia is currently reading it
Aug 25, 2014
  • A City Not Forsaken (Cheney Duvall, M.D. Series #3)
  • Sonnet to a Dead Contessa (Lady Trent Mystery #3)
  • Travail and Triumph (The Russians, #3)
  • Heirs of the Motherland (The Russians, #4)
  • Puritans (American Family Portrait #1)
  • Castles: Maidens Meet Their Knights
  • Surrender the Night (Surrender to Destiny, # 2)
Linda Chaikin is a Christian fiction author with a focus on historical fiction. She sometimes publishes using the name L.L. Chaikin.

Linda was the youngest of 10 children and her father died shortly after she was born. She wrote her first full-length novel with pen and paper at the age of 14 - this novel was later rewritten as Wednesday's Child, part of the Day to Remember series.

She met her husban...more
More about Linda Lee Chaikin...
Kingscote (Heart of India #3) Under Eastern Stars (Heart of India, #2) Daughter of Silk (The Silk House, #1) Arabian Winds (Egypt Trilogy #1) Port Royal (Buccaneers #1)