Start by marking “Silk (Heart of India, #1)” as Want to Read:
Silk (Heart of India, #1)

Silk (Heart of India #1)

3.93  ·  Rating Details ·  1,155 Ratings  ·  35 Reviews
Two worlds clash as a young English heiress and an orphaned boy, an "untouchable," become inextricably entwined,
Coral Kendall is an heiress to the Kingscote Silk Plantation in northern India in the last decade of the 1700s. Breaching cultural boundaries and shunning the scorn of her wealthy English family, she adopts a young orphaned boy, an "Untouchable" from the bottom o
Published March 1st 1993 by Bethany House Publishers (first published February 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Silk, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Silk

Debbie
Aug 16, 2012 Debbie rated it liked it
Shelves: historical, christian
"Silk" is a Christian historical novel set in 1793 to 1799 in northeast India and in London, England. This book is the first in a trilogy, but I didn't realize that when I picked it out. I kept waiting for the pace to pick up so that something would get resolved before the end, but it didn't. Very little was resolved, and it ended like the end of a chapter instead of the book. (The next book does, indeed, pick up exactly where this one left off.)

Though the back cover book description indicates t
Olivia
This is a FANTASTIC trilogy that deserves to be better known. (My favorite of the books is the second, "Under Eastern Stars".)

One of the best things about this series is that the characters' personal relationships with Jesus was strongly emphasized (was reminded of this by someone else's review). Having read a lot of historical Christian fiction, I've been disappointed several times with the fact that authors market their stories as Christian, but instead focus almost solely on a love story that
Anita
Aug 11, 2008 Anita rated it it was ok
This was a bit of a disappointment. The christian theme was over powering and I felt unrealistic for instance the year is 1793 and the main characters mother baptizes a native in India. I felt that was far fetched for the time period. I kept waiting for a resolution between the love interests, only to find that the book is the first in a series that is more like a soap opera than a seperate book in a series. Bugging! I don't think I'll read the other books in the series, the only reason I finish ...more
Paige Cuthbertson
Dec 27, 2016 Paige Cuthbertson rated it really liked it
I wish Goodreads allowed you to rate with half stars. I would give this book probably more of a 3 and a half rather than a 4 star rating.

What I didn't like about this book:
1. There were a couple weird things: A woman performs a baptism at the beginning of the book; and really?? Jace and Coral couldn't recognize each other at all after 5 years? Really??
2. The story lagged a little bit. Sometimes I wondered, "where is this going?"
3. Too much unnecessary detail. I don't need to know what Jace or C
Jul 19, 2013 Sarah rated it it was amazing
The India silk plantation of Kingscote has always been Coral's home. Her father owns Kingscote and Coral is a silk heiress. But she's no ordinary silk heiress concerned only with dresses and finding a husband with wealth enough to match her own. When Coral selflessly promises to raise her dying friend's baby boy, she places herself in the middle of a complex and far-reaching web of secrets. That some will stop at nothing to hide. When the Gem, the boy that Coral has come to see as her son, is ki ...more
Karen
Jan 05, 2017 Karen rated it really liked it
I like books that inform me historically about a culture. This is one. The book is based on the cast system in India. The unbreakable system is being broken by a hard headed young woman from one of the controlling families of the time. Just when you are thinking, "where can the book go from here", is has another interesting turn. When you approach the last few chapters of the book you are very aware this book must be read as a series because none of the problems have even been remotely solved. S ...more
Valentina
May 03, 2009 Valentina rated it it was amazing
AHHHH!!! I just love this triology!
It is probably one of my most favorite. I have read it in two languages and own it.
It is about a youngwoman named Coral Kendall that lives in India, with her family on the Kendall plantaion that makes silk. She adopts her friend's baby boy after she [her friend:] dies giving birth, and names the boy Gem. Then one night he is forcefully taken away from her, and killed and thrown into the river. But Coral has her doubts that the dead child was really Gem. The st
Hoover Public Library Adult Fiction
Silk is book one of the Heart of India Trilogy by Linda Chaikin. The story follows Coral, the daughter of a silk plantation owner and Christian missionaries living in India. After her best friend, an untouchable, dies in childbirth, Coral adopts her friend's son and plans to raise him as her own. When her son is kidnapped, Coral must uncover his true identity if she plans to save him from almost certain death.

This is one of those books that I have read every year for the last 10 years. That is
Raechel
Oct 01, 2012 Raechel rated it it was amazing
This was my second time reading this lovely book though it has been a couple years. Still, I adored it this time around just as much as the first. I may be a little biased in my utter love for it so I cannot give a proper review. XD
I am head-over-heels in love with Jace Buckley...I think he at the top of my fiction-crushes list for sure. :)

This book is delightful, exciting, sweet, and strong in its faith values.
Anna
Jul 11, 2011 Anna rated it really liked it
At first this book was very interesting then when you got to the middle it satrted slowing down a bit but it picked back up again by the end. Really moving story about Coral and Gem and her desire to find him if he is still alive. I like looking at everything from Jace's perspective what he went through growing up and his life. Really excited to read the next one!
Tanya
Jul 08, 2013 Tanya rated it liked it
Loved the last obvious suspense of a romantic story born and sustained through all the usual break-ups. Great historic setting from England to India,not forgetting Spain. Great christian and spirituality setting too,atleast it makes you relate.
Morgan Cleere
Aug 19, 2010 Morgan Cleere rated it really liked it
This is a book full of both internal and external conflict. Their is betrayal, adventure, romance, peril... I really enjoyed it. Although I first read it in Middle School, it is a book that I enjoy reading over again and again.
Jeannie
May 24, 2013 Jeannie rated it really liked it
It was good. A little disappointed that it did not wrap things up at the end, especially since the 2nd book in the series is not available at my local library. It looks like I will have to buy book 2 if I am going to finish the series.
Thomasin
Haven't thought about this author or book in a decade. I remember loving the story. Cannot promise I'd feel the same way today, but would be interested in a re-read at some point.
Simran
Jan 29, 2011 Simran rated it it was amazing
Shelves: india
A+
Ariana Jones
Apr 17, 2015 Ariana Jones rated it it was amazing
I LOVE this lady and I LOVE these books!!! Such fun to read!! I feel in love with Jace and Coral and everyone and I think you will too. Well written.
Lydia Granger
Excellent - easy reading. Mystery and romance fill the chapters.
Joy
Jul 29, 2015 Joy rated it it was ok
Recommendation from my Mom. :)

It was OK, but since I haven't been able to read as often as I would like to, I had to move on to the next in the library stack.
Jen
Oct 13, 2016 Jen rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the story but it was truly only getting going by the end of this book. Looking foward to reading the next two.
Michelle
good--need to get sequel--lot about India and missionaries
Melinda
Feb 07, 2012 Melinda rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christianfiction
Well, its official. I'm obsessed.
Erika
Apr 22, 2015 Erika rated it it was amazing
This is one of my favorite historical series! The characters are engaging and believable and the story is gripping. I have read this book multiple times and plan to read it again in the future!
Adrianna
Nov 21, 2011 Adrianna rated it really liked it
I have enjoyed this series, these books really fuel your imagination.........I think I'll make a trip to India....
Shasta Bos
Sep 24, 2014 Shasta Bos rated it it was amazing
Love this trilogy!! These books have put a desire in my heart to visit India someday. These are beautifully written books.
Annah
Feb 25, 2011 Annah added it
Used to be my favorite book set until I became Catholic. Now I see many misinterpretations of the Church and it is obvious they are from someone who has no experience with the Church.
Lexy
Mar 27, 2013 Lexy rated it it was amazing
What better way to spend the Easter long weekend than re-reading this old favorite?! Looking forward to continuing Jace and Coral's journey in the next 2 books!
Olean Public Library
Sep 01, 2009 Olean Public Library rated it really liked it
Awesome family saga about the silk trade in India in the 1880s. Great characters and scenery descriptions.
Carrie Loofbourrow
Feb 28, 2011 Carrie Loofbourrow rated it it was amazing
This is one of the most amazing novels I have ever read! Definitely a top favorite book and author!!! Seth and I highly recommend =)
Jenny Hintz
Jan 22, 2008 Jenny Hintz rated it it was amazing
Linda Chaikin is an excellent author and all of her books contain a lot of romance, drama, and suspense. My favorite series by her is Heart of India. The exotic location adds to the appeal.
Prettyinpink Cutiepie
Mar 16, 2010 Prettyinpink Cutiepie marked it as to-read
It was okay. but the story line just wasn't drawing me to read it constantly.
  • A City Not Forsaken (Cheney Duvall, M.D. Series #3)
  • The Cat's Pajamas (Jacques and Cleo: Cat Detectives, #2)
  • The Patriots (American Family Portrait #3)
  • Travail and Triumph (The Russians, #3)
Linda Chaikin is a Christian fiction author with a focus on historical fiction. She sometimes publishes using the name L.L. Chaikin.

Linda was the youngest of 10 children and her father died shortly after she was born. She wrote her first full-length novel with pen and paper at the age of 14 - this novel was later rewritten as Wednesday's Child, part of the Day to Remember series.

She met her husban
More about Linda Lee Chaikin...

Heart of India (3 books)
  • Kingscote (Heart of India #3)
  • Under Eastern Stars (Heart of India, #2)