Start by marking “Feel: The Power of Listening to Your Heart” as Want to Read:
Feel: The Power of Listening to Your Heart

Feel: The Power of Listening to Your Heart

3.75  ·  Rating Details  ·  48 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
Many Christians simply aren't experiencing the abundant life. A focus on doing our duty and living by reason—when what we "know" trumps how we "feel"—can leave us feeling dead. We need to have our passion restored in order to live the life that Jesus came to give us. In "Feel, " Matthew Elliott takes a critical look at what our culture and many churches have taught about c ...more
Published March 19th 2008 by Tyndale House Publishers (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Feel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Feel

Trevor
Mar 03, 2009 Trevor rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio, 2009
Feel is a popularized (less academic) version of Elliott's earlier work (called Faithful Feelings). The book is aimed at two significant errors that Elliott observes in American Christianity:

1) "We have made our relationship with God more about fulfilling our duty than expressing our passion. We make our spiritual lives into a list of dos and don'ts. We pursue this list more than we actually pursue Jesus. And this leads to a life that eventually becomes tired and numb, devoid of feeling, dead."

Michelle
Apr 14, 2012 Michelle rated it it was amazing
This is one of the best books I've read about emotions by a Christian author. I read this book at an important time in my life when I was being told I needed to suppress my feelings, control my emotions, and basically NOT deal with it. It was coming out in bad ways and causing me to feel extreme guilt because I couldn't get it together. This book taught me it was ok to take the time to feel things, to evaluate what I felt and compare it to God's word, and to change my thoughts which were mostly ...more
Allison
Feb 02, 2013 Allison rated it really liked it
I put off reading this book for a long time, because I didn't want to have to deal with my "stuff," but I know the Lord wanted me to read it and soak it all in. Well, I'm still soaking, and I'm on the fence about this book. I would read one chapter and think, "No, that can't be right," and then read the next chapter and think, "Wow, that's exactly right." I rated it four stars, because it does cause you to reevaluate your ideas on emotions and the role they play in your life.
Laura Haske
Feb 12, 2012 Laura Haske rated it liked it
I struggled with the first 3/4 of the book, which seemed to go on and on about how distorted the church can become. Point taken, but the author didn't really need several hundred pages to make that point. Those of us who attend church regularly have a first-hand understanding of the imperfections of any church. My favorite part was the practical application of God's design of emotion for our spiritual lives in Christ. The last quarter of the book was great.
Amy
Oct 09, 2012 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am a little bias because he rights from what he knows and we come from the same city, so I was able to relate to him and form a bond that other class mates did not have. Just like the title, it is an emotional book. It is a journey on how to feel richer and deeper in your life and faith. I can think of a handful of people I would recommend it to, but it is not for everybody.
Jarm Del Boccio
Dec 17, 2012 Jarm Del Boccio rated it really liked it
"Feel" shows us that emotions are not to be avoided or feared. If we love God with all our heart, our emotions will not lead us astray. Here is a quote which summarizes the book: "Living in the heart of God is about immersing ourselves in this deep, personal heart knowledge of him. Our hearts inside of his heart. This is what you want. This is what he wants."
James
Dec 03, 2008 James rated it really liked it
"Feel" is a somewhat more accessible follow-up to the more scholarly "Faithful Feelings", building on the theological insights of the first book. Matthew Elliott asserts that, contrary to the common trend of much of modern Christianity, emotions are to be redeemed rather than controlled by reason.
Randy Alcorn
Feel is an engaging book that’s potentially liberating. God made emotions and Jesus expressed them; they need to be reclaimed and redeemed, not ignored or abandoned. Matthew Elliott does a service to the church through this thoughtful work.
Crystal Scott
Aug 02, 2012 Crystal Scott rated it liked it

This book has some good info but it's really hard to follow.
Bonita Rose
Jul 03, 2008 Bonita Rose rated it it was amazing
Shelves:
LOVE THIS BOOK!
Paige Owens
Paige Owens is currently reading it
Apr 21, 2016
Cody Swartz
Cody Swartz rated it liked it
Mar 27, 2016
Gina Slavik
Gina Slavik is currently reading it
Mar 23, 2016
MaryAnn Moffett
MaryAnn Moffett marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2016
Ray
Ray marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2016
Pam
Pam marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2016
Hilary Sticht
Hilary Sticht is currently reading it
Jan 13, 2016
Foster Dryden
Foster Dryden is currently reading it
Jan 09, 2016
Mookie J
Mookie J rated it really liked it
Jan 02, 2016
Patricia Boddie
Patricia Boddie rated it it was amazing
Nov 22, 2015
Lisa Amspacher
Lisa Amspacher marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2015
Kayvan
Kayvan rated it really liked it
Jan 24, 2016
Ginger Schlueter
Ginger Schlueter marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2015
Ian
Ian rated it liked it
May 06, 2015
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2015
Kyle
Kyle rated it it was ok
Apr 07, 2015
Emmaline Soken
Emmaline Soken rated it liked it
Apr 30, 2015
John
John rated it really liked it
Jan 18, 2015
JT Caldwell
JT Caldwell marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2015