Start by marking “The Baby Plan” as Want to Read:
The Baby Plan

The Baby Plan

What he wants…

…is a baby. A child of his own. Jake Manning more or less raised his younger siblings; he loves kids and knows he's a natural father. However, he's had zero success as a husband. So he comes up with a baby plan, one that requires a woman but not a wife.

What she needs…

…is money. Security. An education. A home. Harley Emerson might be a crack mechanic, but

Paperback, Harlequin Superromance #1103, 304 pages
Published December 1st 2002 by Harlequin Books

To ask other readers questions about The Baby Plan, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Baby Plan

Saly
This was a really good book, the hero Jake is someone really good who loved taking care of his siblings and now that they are married wants one of his own but is having problems, his wife chose her career over him and his efforts at adoption gave him heart-break & he is considering the option of surrogacy.

Then he meets Harley who loses her job as a mechanic when something from his car is taken, Jake knows she didn't do it and feels guilty so he visits her & finds that she lives in povert
LLCSpokane
Mar 20, 2012 LLCSpokane rated it really liked it
Very good read. This book touched on very real issues/problems from childhood that can cause problems in developing adult relationships. The heroine after being abandoned by her mother and then her father dying when she was 10 was raised in foster care. She suffered from feeling abandoned, alone and unworthy. As an adult she was convicted of a crime she did not commit and as a result had difficulty in finding employment.
This book had a very sweet romance but more than that I liked how it address
Jacqueline
Very readable book. The heroine had a rough upbringing and a rough recent life. The hero wants children and but doesn't want to get remarried in order to have them. So they get together on a surrogacy. I liked the down on her luck heroine and the kind but rather dim hero. After all he should have figured out that he really wanted her sooner. The brother that didn't approve was a nice touch and I really liked the parole officer. The ending was pretty great and the hero really came through for he ...more
Kay
Aug 17, 2012 Kay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks
4 1/2 Stars! ~ Jake's a natural when it comes to parenting, successfully raising his brother and sister who both now had families of their own. But divorced, he doesn't fancy another marriage, and now he's been rejected twice for adoption. He's come to the conclusion that the only way he's going to be able to keep a child is if he's the actual biological father. So Jake starts to look for the perfect surrogate mother. Harley is a young woman who's always had to fight to prove herself worthy. Wro ...more
Melody Cox
Dec 07, 2013 Melody Cox rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance
***4.5 Stars***

Fabulous book! The characters were well developed and the storyline was a bit different from other romance books.

Jake was a divorced, hunky man of 35, who desperately wanted a child...but no wife. He has tried to adopt and is considering a surrogate. His wife walked out on him and shattered his heart. He had to find a way to have a baby without a wife.

Harley, a female mechanic who has been wrongly charged of a crime, seems like the perfect choice for a surrogate. She doesn't want
Bukcrz
Feb 13, 2013 Bukcrz rated it liked it
As an HP book, it's better than the average hp our there. The heroine at least stands up for herself when she's not 'frozen', or tired/sick, or second guessing herself, or moping in 'poor-is-me' mood. A lot of unsatisfactory or rushed resolution in the book. Like the h's arresting officer. I would have put the over-eager/half-c police officer to the 'cleaners' for his harassment of the then very pregnant and upset heroine.
I do want the hero's brother to bleed though in this story. Like cut him
Wyrdness
Feb 01, 2015 Wyrdness rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
This is not the most original, complex or realistic story ever told (though it does touch on real issues), and at times I wanted to give the little brother a smack in the face for being a judgmental arse as well as shake some awareness in to Harley (especially when she seemed to use her crappy past as an excuse to wallow in misery). Yet for all the "problems" this is an incredibly sweet story about two people getting everything they didn't think they wanted without the usual bag of stupid misund ...more
Megan
Not bad. I certainly didn't like the parts where he sort of speaks down to her while she is pregnant regarding what she can and cannot eat.
I however felt so much for her regarding being scared about being a mother. I am so scared and I'm not pregnant! When he said about his sister dropping her baby after Harley had done the same to Dusty's child I thought huh, my mum did that to me too! Or rather like that situation I rolled off the changing mat. Must be a common parental mistake!!

I like Harley
Oana S
Jul 04, 2012 Oana S rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
It was an amazing story.

A girl that has no one, find her prince charming, who doesn't believe in evil but brings out the best in people, from his obnoxious lovable pets, to his over protective, hardheaded brother.

It brings a little bit of everything, an easy read and wonderfully written story that catches the attention of the reader without making stress over the little details.
Tia
Dec 23, 2011 Tia rated it it was amazing
Read in September 2008.

I remember this book and thought the hero took advantage of the heroine when I first started reading it. Then as the heroine listed her demands, I was like 'Ohhh, he's screwed!' It was an awesome novel.
Kathleen
Should've been a good solid sweet story if not for the flip-flop character of Harley

"I don't want to be turned away."
after a few hours.....
"I'm leaving because I love you."
Me: Really? Are you kidding me?
Jimmy Smith
Nov 02, 2014 Jimmy Smith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Couldn't put it down!

A very good Cinderella story, I love it, fell in love with Jake and Harley. This book has a great plot and wonderful character development. And of course a lovely ending.
Rachael Albert
Dec 22, 2015 Rachael Albert rated it it was amazing
I absolutely adore this book... It's one of my comfort reads!!
Camilla
Aug 20, 2013 Camilla rated it really liked it
Such a sweet book!!! I loved Harley and Jake! Jake is every woman's dream man!
Amalia
Aug 20, 2013 Amalia rated it really liked it
I wasn't expecting much from this book but I was pleasantly surprised. The story line is very cute and a quick read.
Cornelia
Sep 12, 2012 Cornelia rated it liked it
Shelves: epub, harlequin
I read this book several years ago on one sleepless night. con't remember much expect that was nice.
Cassandra
Great book!
Biba
Aug 26, 2013 Biba rated it really liked it
This was such a cute book. I loved Harley and Jake. The epilogue was perfect. I'm glad Harley had a happy ending she totally deserved.
Krista
Oct 13, 2013 Krista rated it really liked it
The book was an easy fun read the characters seem real can kind of relate. Different love story must read!
Sue
Aug 19, 2013 Sue rated it really liked it
Shelves: contemporary
Absolutely loved it! Harley was amazing and Jake god what a heart. Quick read that rung a few tears from me, very HEA. With a little sass at the end.
Beate
Jul 14, 2012 Beate rated it really liked it
Review to come.
E_bookpushers
Well written but for some reason just didn't work for me.
Nicky
Feb 14, 2014 Nicky rated it liked it
Sweet story. I enjoyed Harley and Jake's journey.
Dinjolina
Dinjolina rated it really liked it
Jul 09, 2011
RD
RD rated it really liked it
Jul 10, 2010
Tammy
Tammy rated it it was amazing
Jan 13, 2013
Oursonne
Oursonne rated it liked it
Mar 11, 2012
Ari
Ari rated it it was ok
Sep 23, 2011
Paula Elvar
Paula Elvar rated it really liked it
Jan 03, 2016
  • Baby Business
  • A Not-So-Perfect Past
  • First Comes Baby
  • His Son's Teacher
  • Bring Him Home (Special Forces, #3)
  • Nine-Month Protector (The Precinct: Vice Squad #2; The Precinct #6)
  • The Long Shot (The Fallon Brothers, #1)
  • The Bride's Proposition - Proposal Pernikahan (Salvatore Brothers, #3)
  • A Taste of Texas (Oak Stand, #4)
  • The Boss's Baby
  • The Farmer's Wife (Luchettis Brothers #1)
  • The Best Laid Plans
  • The Marine's Baby
  • One Night, One Baby
  • Take Me
  • The Salvatore Marriage (Foreign Affairs)
  • The Other Soldier (Castle Creek, #1)
I live in Erie, PA, with my husband and son, who both support me in this crazy venture of becoming a published author, an English Mastiff, who doesn't really care one way or another as long as she's fed and someone rubs her belly, and a large aquarium full of fish. (They belong to the dh and son.)

Books have always been my constant companions, all the way back to when I was reading Gus, The Friendl
More about Susan Gable...