Start by marking “Mines of the Minotaur (The Companions Quartet, #3)” as Want to Read:
Mines of the Minotaur (The Companions Quartet, #3)

Mines of the Minotaur (The Companions Quartet #3)

4.19  ·  Rating Details ·  1,925 Ratings  ·  64 Reviews
Thirteen-year-old Connie Lionheart is the only Universal Companion, able to communicate with all the mythical creatures hidden in our world. She is the most important member of a secret society sworn to protect the bonds between humans and creatures. But her power brings great responsibility and great danger.
Published May 1st 2008 by Two Lions (first published 2007)

Ahmad Sharabiani
Mines of the Minotaur (The Companions Quartet #3), 2008, Julia Golding
عنوان: همدمها جلد 3 : معادن مینوتار؛ نویسنده: جولیا گلدینگ؛ مترجم: پیمان اسماعیلیان خامنه؛ نشر: تهران، قدیانی، کتابهای بنفشه، چاپ نخست 1390، در 392 ص، شابک: 9786002511553، فروست: همدمها جلد 3، رمان نوجوانان، موضوع: داستانهای کودکان انگلیسی -- قرن 21 م
Characters: Connie Lionheart (11 year old girl), Colin (Col) Clamworthy (11 year old boy), Skylark (A young Pegasus), Evelyn Lionheart (Connie's Aunt), Lavinia Clamworthy (Col's G
Nicole
Apr 17, 2014 Nicole rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens, ya-fantasy
Rated 3.5 stars but I'll be generous (since there's dragons... even if they didn't do anything)

This installment provides us with some deep Connie reflection as we quite literally dive into her mind. However, I didn't quite like Connie as much in this book. While I understand that this book is about learning to accept oneself and others, both good and bad, the writing was not as compelling as the previous book.There was, once again, quite a deal of self pity (aka this is like the dreaded 2nd book
Grace Fullerton
Jun 05, 2015 Grace Fullerton rated it really liked it
I love the characters. I love the plot. The language is clear and focused. But as the series progresses the focus changes from the magical creatures to global warming propaganda. It loses the story for me and I may not finish the series for that reason. I feel as though I am being indoctrinated on the evil sin of mankind to 1) exist 2) need places to live and 3) shove out animals to accomplish 1 and 2. I am all about responsible use of the environment but I read books to escape the problems of t ...more
Tori
Feb 06, 2017 Tori rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
Michelle
Oct 04, 2016 Michelle rated it it was amazing
Appropriate for: age 12+
You will like this book if you like: Fantasy, mythological creatures

I enjoyed this sequel, although it's more of the same of her being outcast from the Society because she's different. There's a important lesson about telling the truth and it has a lot of other good messages.
Miss Clark
Book three of the Companions Quartet. A very slow moving volume. More than anything, it explores the nature and purpose of a Universal and in particular, how Connie must deal with her unique gift and the threat that she poses to everyone because of Kullervo's connection to her. At 13, Connie is raising dangerous storms in her sleep. Afraid to let anyone know that something is working through her unconsciously and wreaking havoc, Connie makes Col, who found her asleep on the shore after creating ...more
Julia
Mar 04, 2011 Julia rated it liked it
Dillon Mahoney
Sep 13, 2016 Dillon Mahoney rated it it was amazing
Easily my favourite book in my favourite series. It is the perfect blend of the mythical and real worlds, and Coddrington is an excellent villain. Rat is a one of my favourite characters in this book, even though I found him a bit annoying in the Gorgons Gaze. Connie and Col are both growing up, and you see far more of the amazing world that Julia Golding has created. I won't say much more because of spoilers, but you won't regret reading this book.
Sara
May 13, 2012 Sara rated it liked it
Shelves: like-it
Aminah G
Jul 28, 2012 Aminah G rated it it was amazing

First off let me say that Mr. Corridington
( however you spell his name) needs to seriously stop hating on Connie! He's been doing that from the start, trying to get her in trouble and expelled her from the society! He got what he deserved! HMPH!

Anyway, Mines of the Minitaur counties Connie's journey as a universal as she faces a dangerous force in her mind that threatens to take over her. But with the help of friends, can Connie find out what's causing her strange behavior? And how can she get
Anna
Mines of the Minotaur was always my least favourite of all the four books. But now that I've read it again, I feel like I appreciate this one more that I did before.
Yes, this is definitely the most angsty of all four books, but I really like how it brings forward all the different qualities of the characters.

The plot evolved differently in this book than the others, the conflict is more emotional and doesn't really require quite as much fighting and diplomacy as the others.
One of the things I re
May 09, 2013 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Summary:
Connie is dealing with her battles with Kullervo who has forged a bond with her. He continues to control her as her powers are growing out of control. She is expelled from school and is sent to her Great Aunt. In the process, she runs across a Minotaur. The Minotaur helps her deal with her inner demons and save creatures in the process.

My thoughts:
I am partial to character development. This is the first time that we really get to know Connie. We discover, along with Connie, all of her st
Kirsti
Feb 12, 2012 Kirsti rated it really liked it
Connie is facing her darkest test yet; Kullervo has forged a bond in her mind, and she can't help but follow his orders when her defenses are at their weakest. It is only with the help of her friends and their companions that she can make it through, and thankfully many come to her aid just as she needs them. Connie and Col are growing up, and a future romance is hinted at but not yet explored. I really enjoyed this one, as Connie was struggling and not everything worked out the way it should. A ...more
Belen
Nov 01, 2009 Belen rated it really liked it
In another one of my favorite book series, Connie Lionheart is back. Now, she's been expelled from the Society by her enemy, accused of voluntarily summoning storms and trying to kill Col and Dr. Brock. Connie starts a journey deep into her mental labyrinth with a minotaur to find out what is wrong with her. Meanwhile, a windfarm is being built, much to the complaints of the High-Flyers. And, of course, Kullervo is lurking in the shadows, waiting for Connie.

This was another great book that took
Therese
Mar 20, 2013 Therese rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, series
I'm baffled. I don't know what to rate this.

It was an okay book. I enjoyed the first two books of the series so I thought I'd read this one. I wasn't disappointed. We explored more of Connie's adventures... or more of lack of adventure. She's been banished from the society because their leader (view spoiler) thought that she was summoning dangerous storms. Really, Connie was never fully conscious when she created those storms, but that didn't

Amaranth
Jun 01, 2012 Amaranth rated it liked it
Shelves: wonderful-worlds
I haven't read the earlier two books yet (I couldn't find them in the library), but I still found the concepts in the book fascinating. My favorite part was the beginning, when Connie summoned the horses from the ocean in the middle of the tempest. Then they talked about different magical creatures that had bonded with people which I thought was a pretty cool idea, kinda promoting having pets or animal companions, only with magical creatures. Kinda makes me wish the creatures were real.
Neverthel
Nov 23, 2011 Jennifer rated it really liked it
I'm starting to like this series more as it progresses. The characters and their relationships become more complex as the series progresses, and the themes become darker. This is particularly true of this volume, in which the protagonist must come to terms with the fact that everyone, including she, holds darkness within the "labyrinth" of her mind, and that she must not only lean on others to navigate this darkness, but allow them in (quite literally in this book's plot) so that they can fend o ...more
Ellen
Nov 10, 2014 Ellen rated it it was ok
Marginally better than book two, Mines of the Minotaur explores the aftermath of Connie's joining with Kullervo in the last book. She finds herself unwittingly letting her powers out in dangerous ways that threaten the society. This plot was much better than book two, but unfortunately the author still feels the need to include inappropriate language references such as hell as an expletive. It looks like I won't be adding this series to the classroom library after all.
Kimberly Wood
Sep 20, 2011 Kimberly Wood is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I just started this book yesterday, September 19, 2011, monday. It's the 3rd of the series of The Companions Quartet, the first 2 being "The Secrets of the Sirens," and "The Gorgon's Gaze." Enjoyed the first 2. Might buy the series.
Monnette
not as much action and adventure but happily not as much protect the environment litany... this one was more... more. definitely written for a middle school or younger crowd I couldn't help but hope for romance like a ya novel.
Amelia
Nov 13, 2010 Amelia rated it it was amazing
Connie has mysteriously been summoning storms and when Mr. Coddrington finds out he bans her from the society. She can't see any of her friends and discovers other creatures in need who say they need her help. Somehow she has to return to the society and save the hurt companions.
Anna
Sep 04, 2013 Anna rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: people who've read the 2 first books
It's really good, as the third book. It's quite dark and angsty, and you really start to doubt a lot of Things you've read in the other books. Is everyone in the society really as they say? It's a fantastic book, and the action scenes keep you captured for a long time. It's amazing.
Ellen
Nov 11, 2010 Ellen rated it it was amazing
I've read this series twice now and I would have to say that this book and the 4th book(The Chimeras Curse) are my favorite books in the series. Though the 1st(Secret Of the Sirens) and the 2nd( The Gorgons Gaze) are really good too! The books in the series in general are all good.
Joleene
Mar 29, 2010 Joleene rated it really liked it
This series is surprising me! I started reading them based on a recommendation from a friend. Each book gets a bit weirder and better. So far, this one is my favorite. Very unique premise and definitely not anything out right now is like it. All of them are pretty quick reads.
Hadessephy
Jan 24, 2014 Hadessephy rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014, fantasy, mythology, mg
I think this is my favorite of this series so far. I love caves and mines and the Minatour was awesome. It was good to see everyone rally for Connie and there was some insight to some of the creatures that we haven't seen yet.
Serena
Jan 07, 2012 Serena rated it really liked it
Third in this series, I was glad to see that the story didn't stagnate and that the characters are evolving. I cannot wait for my son to finish Harry Potter. I think he'll really enjoy this series too.
Kiersten Robertson
Jul 05, 2010 Kiersten Robertson rated it really liked it
I still really like Julia Golding's books. Connie is getting into more and more adventure and excitment as this series goes on! I really like this idea about modern times crossed with mytical creatures.
Amy
I really liked the twist in this story. These twists keep each installment from being the same and the characters grow some. I appreciate the environmental message as well - though I can see where some young adults could get turned off by it depending on their age and how they see global warming.
Filippa
Jun 30, 2016 Filippa rated it it was amazing
This book/series.

I loved it. I read it a few years back, and am now reading it again. Seriously great books for someone who loves fantasy and has a pinch of childishness inside.
Niki
Mar 15, 2014 Niki rated it it was amazing
Really good book! I read couldn't put it down; literally (unless i had to!!!). Great book now I only need to read 2 and 1 in the series ;D
  • Seven Sorcerers (Seven Sorcerers #1)
  • Karneval, Vol. 6 (Karneval, #6)
  • The Peskie Spell (Fairy Realm, #9)
  • The End of the World Club (Jaguar Stones, #2)
  • The Silver Dolphin (Mermaid Curse, #1)
  • Lily (Lily, #1)
  • Fur For All (Fixed, #5)
  • The Book of the Sword (The Darkest Age, #2)
  • Circle of Death  (Damask Circle, #2)
  • 騎士基本理論 (吾命騎士, #1)
  • The Fire Thief (Fire Thief Trilogy, #1)
  • Escape from Castle Cant
  • Simon Bloom: The Octopus Effect (Simon Bloom, #2)
  • The Fiend and the Forge (The Tapestry, #3)
My journey to becoming an author has been a roundabout one, taking in many other careers. I grew up on the edge of Epping Forest and was that dreamy kind of child who was always writing stories. After reading English at Cambridge, I decided to find out as much as I could about the wider world so joined the Foreign Office and served in Poland. My work as a diplomat took me from the high point of to ...more
More about Julia Golding...

The Companions Quartet (4 books)
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
  • The Gorgon's Gaze (The Companions Quartet, #2)
  • The Chimera's Curse (The Companions Quartet, #4)