Start by marking “The Twelve Days of Christmas” as Want to Read:
The Twelve Days of Christmas

The Twelve Days of Christmas

4.11  ·  Rating Details ·  2,453 Ratings  ·  62 Reviews
"On the first day of Christmas
My true love gave to me
A partridge in a pear tree."

For many centuries young and old alike have been singing about the maids a- milking, the lords a-leaping, and a partridge in a pear tree. A Christmas carol, a parlor game, and a delightful counting song-The Twelve Days of Christmas- is indeed a favorite of the holiday season.
In this book, su
Published by G. B. Putnam's Sons (first published January 1st 1986)

To ask other readers questions about The Twelve Days of Christmas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Twelve Days of Christmas

Dolly
Dec 15, 2010 Dolly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Gorgeous illustrations highlight this rendition of the classic Christmas song, "The Twelve Days of Christmas". Our oldest had so much fun singing this one with me as we looked through the pages.

With the tongue twister of a song, I recommend a second, silent read through just to look at the intricate detail in the illustrations. Jan Brett includes her classic borders, with lots of design and action going on, and I love the touch of adding Merry Christmas and Happy New Year in several different la
Oct 03, 2009 Laura rated it really liked it
Shelves: holiday, kids_books
This would get 5 stars, except the sequence of the days is wrong at the end: it's 9 drummers drumming, 10 pipers piping, 11 ladies dancing, and 12 lords a leaping (I learned 9 ladies dancing, 10 lords a leaping, 11 pipers piping, 12 drummers drumming).
Marcia Brisson  Van Camp
I never knew it was "colly" instead of "calling" birds!

Karen
Dec 23, 2015 Karen rated it really liked it
Shelves: jacob, ellie, mom
Wonderful illustrations. We love to look at the detail of Jan Brett's pictures..krb 12/23/15
Brynna Seitz
Nov 17, 2016 Brynna Seitz added it
Recommends it for: EVERYONE
Recommended to Brynna by: myself
ONE THE 13th DAY OF CHRISTMAS A UNICORN GAVE TO ME A REALLY FABALOUS BOOK!!!!!!!!!
Kaylynn Hennenfent
Nov 17, 2016 Kaylynn Hennenfent rated it it was amazing
Wow this book is just like the rest. FABALOUS!!!!!!!!! I recommend it!!!!!!!!
Abby Stever
Feb 21, 2017 Abby Stever rated it really liked it
Shelves: el-230
I chose this children's book because, I enjoy the Christmas season and this song reminds me of my time in elementary school. "The Twelve Days of Christmas" could be used in an elementary class as a song to spread the spirit of Christmas. Also, the book could be used around the Christmas season as a counting exercise. For example, "a partridge in a pear tree, two turtle doves," etc. The intended audience for this book would be young elementary students.
Katrina Lybbert
I love the illustrations, so beautiful. It is fun to figure out the language Merry Christmas is written in on each two page spread. Days 9 - 12 are in a different order than my preference, but still a wonderful book.
Zaidee
Feb 19, 2017 Zaidee rated it it was amazing
love her drawings
Chloe
Oct 13, 2016 Chloe rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christmas-winter
Jan Brett books are so beautiful! Childhood favorites!
Christine
Not my favorite rendition of this classic Christmas Carol as a picture book, but lovely nonetheless. As another reviewer pointed out, the gifts toward the end of the song are in a different order than I am used to, though I will admit I didn't even notice at first! Wondering now what the official/original order is. I loved the Merry Christmas messages in various languages in the border artwork -- there always seems to be something special on these borders that Brett includes in her illustrations ...more
Kitty
Dec 19, 2016 Kitty rated it really liked it
Instead of buying a book for the cover, I bought this for the pictures. I also have the pop up version AND I can sing the song all by myself.
Lisa Vegan
Dec 18, 2010 Lisa Vegan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Christmas reading/singing
I loved this book. Of course, I found it impossible to read; I had to sing it, and because of the singing, it was hard to look at the story unfolding via the illustrations, so I had to reread/re-sing it a few times.

At the beginning of the book, there is the actual music with lyrics included, but the lyrics were hard to decipher and figure out; I assume that the music will play the song though and the book’s text is the lyrics. It reminds me of a game I have that’s a guess the next lyrics in song
Glen
Dec 11, 2016 Glen added it
Shelves: christmas
Very beautiful illustrations as with all Jan Brett books.
Kieran
Nov 30, 2012 Kieran rated it really liked it
The book The Twelve Days of Christmas by Jan Brett provides vivid images to accompany the classic Christmas carol. Brett is known for her intricate illustrations. On each page, one verse of the song is written out, with a picture to match. The book includes sheet music at the beginning, and it has an explanation of the origin of the song in the back.
Jan Brett is notorious for including margin photos in her book. In the margins of this book, a family prepares for the holidays. The illustrations
Lisa Rathbun
Dec 11, 2013 Lisa Rathbun rated it it was ok
Shelves: christmas-books
I liked a lot about this book: Jan Brett's details gave lots of fun things to look at on each page. But that was part of my problem too: I expected more attention to detail. As each day is described, across the top of the page is a branch from a Christmas tree showing that day's gift as a Christmas ornament. On the final page, a huge Christmas tree is shown covered with all the ornaments so I looked for ones from each day with my child. However, I could NOT find the pipe OR the partridge. Maybe ...more
Megababy
Dec 21, 2015 Megababy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Megababy by: nana k
Shelves: own
Mom review: Baby loved it as we sang along to this book. Lots of giggles. Beautiful illustrations! I especially love the critters in the bottom corners with Christmas greetings in a different language on every page. Interestingly, this book had me googling when I was done with it, due to its mention of four colly birds, where I'd always heard "calling". Apparently this is a real thing, and means 'black' in some dialect of English. Also my husband and I were both pretty sure that they put the thi ...more
Brianne Larson
Dec 06, 2016 Brianne Larson rated it it was ok
I did not enjoy this book. It is a Christmas song, and I didn't feel the book was Christamsy enough. It felt plain and boring.
Stacy
Jan 28, 2016 Stacy rated it really liked it
Shelves: children, christmas
Kelly Sommers
Dec 02, 2013 Kelly Sommers rated it it was ok
Shelves: eng261
This book is based off the favorite holiday carol "The Twelve Days of Christmas". However, this version is a little different. In the book 'Merry Christmas" is written in eleven languages, and a vast array of woodland animals are scattered throughout the pages.The intracite pictures make the book captivating to readers. I personally did not care for the book. It was simple, but there was nothing that really drew me in. However, I did like that the illustrator added in his own personal touches.

Kelly
My kindergarten students and I read this in preparation for a "12 Days" series of skits put on by our school's senior class. The kids enjoyed the book because of the song's repetition and their enthusiasm for Jan Brett's illustrations. (We've read all her gingerbread stories.) Their favorite image was of the three French hens. The book is a very vivid representation of an idealized European Christmas-tide, if you go back a century or two.
Cameron Thompson
Dec 07, 2014 Cameron Thompson rated it liked it
Meg McGregor
Dec 30, 2014 Meg McGregor rated it it was amazing
Take one astounding artist, Jan Brett...

Add 12 breathtaking illustrations for each of the 12 Days of Christmas...

Sprinkle in Merry Christmas greetings from different lands...

You have the perfect holiday story.

Just be sure to sing the carol. It is so much more fun that way!!!
May 20, 2008 Sarah rated it it was ok
Shelves: seasonal-holiday
If you like Jan Karon's artwork you will like this book. I find no fault with the illustrations, it is the song lyric that drive me nuts. The song never ends and is soooooo repetitious. Ugh! I prefer the Sesame Street version (...five argyle socks...)
Chrissy
Dec 15, 2011 Chrissy rated it really liked it
Shelves: kid-s-stuff
We loved this one. I sang the whole thing and we stopped on each page to follow the story going on in the background and try and pronounce "Merry Christmas" in different languages. Lots of laughs when we got to Russian.
Cindy
Sep 03, 2007 Cindy rated it it was amazing
I love Jan Brett. This book is fun because each day is illustrated highlighting a different European country and says "Merry Christmas" in that language. Part of the fun is trying to figure out which country it is!
Wendy Daniel
Apr 24, 2014 Wendy Daniel rated it really liked it
Shelves: lis-4700
This beautiful book makes reading enjoyable and fun during the holidays. Allowing children to uncover the gifts in the side photos makes for a wonderful interactive experience. The love of books (Print Motivation) is clearly conveyed in the song and the illustrations.
Pam
Dec 08, 2013 Pam rated it it was amazing
I can't believe it, THIS song again! :) Thankfully my oldest sang it for me this time....onto some other Christmas song, please!!
Rebecca Grace
Jan 29, 2008 Rebecca Grace rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
Once again, Jan Brett's fabulously detailed illustrations and faithful retelling of a classic story won me over. One of our favorite Christmas stories, and a great one for counting practice, too.
Eva Nel
Dec 04, 2015 Eva Nel rated it it was ok
I have never been a fan of this as story, or any medium. But I had to read it since it's a Christmas classic!
  • The Little Drummer Boy
  • Carl's Christmas
  • The 12 Days of Christmas: A Pop-Up Celebration
  • The Twelve Days of Christmas
  • An Orange for Frankie
  • I'll Be Home For Christmas (Toot & Puddle)
  • Night Tree
  • Wombat Divine
  • Who is Coming to Our House?
  • The Year of the Perfect Christmas Tree: An Appalachian Story
  • Mortimer's Christmas Manger
  • You Are My Miracle
With over thirty three million books in print, Jan Brett is one of the nation's foremost author illustrators of children's books. Jan lives in a seacoast town in Massachusetts, close to where she grew up. During the summer her family moves to a home in the Berkshire Hills of Massachusetts.
As a child, Jan Brett decided to be an illustrator and spent many hours reading and drawing. She says, "I reme
More about Jan Brett...