Blank-133x176
Miss Smithers

Susan Juby

Miss Smithers (Alice MacLeod #2)

3.4 of 5 stars 3.40  ·  rating details  ·  444 ratings  ·  33 reviews
iN sPite Of tHE premAtuRE publication of my 'zine and resulting renewed social ostracism, things are happening for me I've been stood up by the coolest girl in school, I have a Jesus bracelet, I ate dinner at a steak restaurant and lived to tell, I may be a virgin until I marry, I'm a Miss Smithers candidate, and I HAVE LEATHER PANTS Susan Juby's delightful second novel is...more
Published by Turtleback Books (first published May 1st 2004)

Meg Cabot
I'm pretty sure this is the one where she buys the leather pants. Or is the one with Jesus bus? Either way, I think I wet my pants, I was laughing so hard.
Helen
So Alice has been persuaded to enter the Miss Smithers contest as the candidate of the Rod and Gun Club, in spite of her family's militant vegetarianism and violent pacifism. (Her mother would bomb a lab which was using animals as test subjects.) Her mother is opposed because it is about as opposite to feminism as you can get, but Alice agrees, partly for that reason. The whole book is set around the pageant events: the fashion show where Miss Deschooling is forced into a hand crocheted bikini (...more
06sydneyj
Being in a pageant, isn't that something that every girl has wanted to do. Well in the book Ms. Smithers by Susan Juby that is exactly what Alice McLeod gets to do. This is a fiction book for young adults I would ecspecially reccomend it to teenage girls.

In this book that takes place in Smithers, Alice McLeod a 16 year old girl has the chance to be in a pageant for her town and to become Ms. Smithers. Unlike most girls though Alice wasn't very excited about this, she was just in it for the $400...more
Emma (Miss Print)
Long time readers might remember my previous demonstration of fondness for Alice, I Think by Susan Juby. By itself, the book was fantastically funny with some great plot points and characters. So imagine my happiness back in 2005 when I realized a sequel (set a bit after the first novel's events) had been published and was available from my place of employ.

Like many good stories, Miss Smithers starts with an offer that Alice can't refuse--especially if she wants to prove to everyone that she rea...more
Debbie
Alice MacLeod is a sixteen-year-old Canadian girl. After several years of homeschooling, she now attends the alternative school. She has few friends and considers herself a total misfit. She never would have considered participating in the local beauty paget, but when the Smithers Rod and Gun Shop needed a representative, Alice agrees to be a contestant. The $400 clothing allowance motivated her step outside her comfort zone. Pagent activities inspire her to socialize with new people and to writ...more
Candy Boisvert
Jun 19, 2008 Candy Boisvert rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone!
Recommended to Candy by: No one
Title: Miss Smithers
Author: Susan Juby
Copyright date: 2004
Publisher: Harpertrophycanada
How many pages: 344 pgs
Category: Fiction
I learned about this book from: the TV series
Comments: As I read more into this series, I find that I have a lot in common with Alice. Besides the hippie mother and the smart brother, I am Alice to a tee...which is why this series intrigues me so much...I have even thought about going to some thrift stores while reading this. :P
Julian
Decent sequel to Alice, I Think. The continued exploits of a social-skill-less homeschooled teenager in a small Canadian town, in her first year of regular school and while she enters a pageant. Contains some brilliant one-liners and the main character is fun to read/sympathize with/be horrified about.
Jenny
Alice returns, and she isn't a social outcast anymore. She has $400 clothing allowance and has entered the Miss Smithers beauty contest. Her thriftstore style, kooky friends, and a prematurely published 'zine has catapulted her into a whirlwind of adventures and activities.
Nothing
I think I would have enjoyed this book more had the narrator been even the least bit likable. She was so arrogant, never admitted a mistake and seemed to have a hard time fathoming that she isn't the center of the universe. She doesn't even try to be likable.
Morgan
Precisely what I expected from Juby. Great fun to read. It's a sequel but I don't think you have to have read the first book to understand it; although you'll probably want to after reading Miss Smithers. Quirky and Canadian. Just how I like my books.
Tara Eglington
This book is dangerous - in that people around you will be staring as you barely hold it together from laughing. Some of the most unique, and ridiculous yet endearing characters to make onto the pages of a YA novel. Must read!
Heather
I liked the was Juby made the book in a 'diary' format. It gave the book a nice touch. I think the author could have described Alice a bit more. For example; how tall is Alice? Other than that I really enjoyed it.
Viviana
Feb 25, 2008 Viviana rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: sarcastic witty people
Shelves: 2008
Alice, oh Alice. You gotta love her and her witty thoughts. Her speech for the Mother Daughter Tea was priceless. I am in love with Alice, she is smart and her clothes is really original and creative.
Katrina
Alice is incredibly self-centered, which gets obnoxious at times, but is not unrealistic because I know quite a few teens who would fit that bill. Another quick, light, enjoyable read.
Alyssa
Mar 28, 2008 Alyssa rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Canadians
Shelves: young-adult
A good equal sequel to Alice, I Think. Going upwards and onwards, plan to read the third book Alice MacLeod, Realist at Last. Alice is just as...interesting as always.
Siennache
An awesome book about an awesome girl. It really has a good handle on the themes of being yourself no matter what. This girl goes up against society basically.
Goldie Marie
Aug 02, 2007 Goldie Marie rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: bueatyqueens
It was an honest to god classic book. The book was a totally new idea and it was executed beautifully; the teen angst was played to it's most delightful humor.
Libby
Kind of cheesy, and stereotypical. Not what I find funny at all, and I was continually annoyed and never amused/endeared to Alice.
Kimmyh
This was the sequel to 'Alice, I Think' and was just as quirky and funny as the original.
 10-12 Jaycie
This book is verry well written and filled with encouraging words that are verry well written!
Mari Cuthbert
Way too long winded. Way too boring. It tries to make a profound statement and fails miserably.
Nifty
AMAZING AND PERFECT AND BEAUTIFUL AND AMAZING AND I CAN'T EVEN DO THIS RIGHT NOW
Halle21
I really liked this book it was good. Maybe a little too long, but a good story line :)
Jasmin
Horrible! Horrible! Horrible. This book is just plain weird!!!?!
Dana
Pretty good. Slow at the beginning, but it picked up.
Emzily
May 29, 2010 Emzily rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: young adults or girls like me.
Recommended to Emzily by: a librarian.
SOOOOOOO GOOOD!!!! a must-read kinda book.
Meleah
loved it! I recommend this book to anyone!
Vanessa ...
not as good as the first book...
Victoria Vogel
Alic McLeaod is my hero. Hero-ine.
  • Search of the Moon King's Daughter
  • The Droughtlanders (Triskelia, #1)
  • Throwaway Daughter
  • True Confessions of a Heartless Girl
  • The Canning Season
  • The Fifth Rule
  • La Route de Chlifa
  • Dooley Takes the Fall (Ryan Dooley, #1)
  • Tribes
  • More Than You Can Chew
  • Something Wicked
  • Bigfoot: I Not Dead
  • Margaux with an X
  • Diary of a Chav (Diary of a Chav, #1)
  • Wild Orchid
  • Motorcycles & Sweetgrass
  • The Second Trial
  • Parallel Parking (Dating Game, #6)
(from her website)

I was raised in Smithers, BC, Canada and lived there until I moved to Toronto at age 20. I had a brief and unsuccessful career as a fashion design student and, after I worked at a series of low paying jobs, such as server, record store employee, etc., I began a degree in English Literature at University of Toronto, which I finished at the University of British Columbia. After gra...more
More about Susan Juby...
Alice, I Think (Alice MacLeod, #1) Getting the Girl: A Guide to Private Investigation, Surveillance, and Cookery Home to Woefield Another Kind of Cowboy Alice MacLeod, Realist at Last (Alice MacLeod, #3)