Start by marking “Miss Smithers” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Miss Smithers

Susan Juby

Miss Smithers (Alice MacLeod #2)

3.44  ·  Rating Details  ·  508 Ratings  ·  39 Reviews
iN sPite Of tHE premAtuRE publication of my 'zine and resulting renewed social ostracism, things are happening for me I've been stood up by the coolest girl in school, I have a Jesus bracelet, I ate dinner at a steak restaurant and lived to tell, I may be a virgin until I marry, I'm a Miss Smithers candidate, and I HAVE LEATHER PANTS Susan Juby's delightful second novel is ...more
Published by Turtleback Books (first published May 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Miss Smithers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Miss Smithers

Meg Cabot
Apr 12, 2012 Meg Cabot rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm pretty sure this is the one where she buys the leather pants. Or is the one with Jesus bus? Either way, I think I wet my pants, I was laughing so hard.
Cathy Cramer
Someone told me not to read this book, that it wasn't a very good one, but for some reason, I did anyway. It's not really a book that I would recommend, but it did have some funny parts- the restaurant scene, some of the commentaries. Very confused teen girl, which is the point, and she also has some very confused adult figures in her life. Topics: fitting in, peers, teens and sex, teens and alcohol

The person who told me not to read this book said that they kept reading it, hoping it would get b
Helen
Dec 12, 2013 Helen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So Alice has been persuaded to enter the Miss Smithers contest as the candidate of the Rod and Gun Club, in spite of her family's militant vegetarianism and violent pacifism. (Her mother would bomb a lab which was using animals as test subjects.) Her mother is opposed because it is about as opposite to feminism as you can get, but Alice agrees, partly for that reason. The whole book is set around the pageant events: the fashion show where Miss Deschooling is forced into a hand crocheted bikini ( ...more
06sydneyj
Oct 23, 2011 06sydneyj rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-reports
Being in a pageant, isn't that something that every girl has wanted to do. Well in the book Ms. Smithers by Susan Juby that is exactly what Alice McLeod gets to do. This is a fiction book for young adults I would ecspecially reccomend it to teenage girls.

In this book that takes place in Smithers, Alice McLeod a 16 year old girl has the chance to be in a pageant for her town and to become Ms. Smithers. Unlike most girls though Alice wasn't very excited about this, she was just in it for the $400
Emma
Jan 24, 2015 Emma rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Long time readers might remember my previous demonstration of fondness for Alice, I Think by Susan Juby. By itself, the book was fantastically funny with some great plot points and characters. So imagine my happiness back in 2005 when I realized a sequel (set a bit after the first novel's events) had been published and was available from my place of employ.

Like many good stories, Miss Smithers starts with an offer that Alice can't refuse--especially if she wants to prove to everyone that she rea
Lbaker
I enjoyed this book which is so easy to relate to the teen age angst of a Canadian girl growing up in a small town. Alice's family, friends, acquaintances are such a mixed bag - quirky, silly, goofy, funny.
Debbie
Nov 24, 2010 Debbie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Alice MacLeod is a sixteen-year-old Canadian girl. After several years of homeschooling, she now attends the alternative school. She has few friends and considers herself a total misfit. She never would have considered participating in the local beauty paget, but when the Smithers Rod and Gun Shop needed a representative, Alice agrees to be a contestant. The $400 clothing allowance motivated her step outside her comfort zone. Pagent activities inspire her to socialize with new people and to writ ...more
Sue
Mar 13, 2015 Sue rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult, 2015
Am trying to find a funny teen book for my girlfriend and her niece. This was not as funny as I'd hoped, but I still found myself laughing out loud a few times at this book. I would definitely read other books by this author. And I'll be shipping this book to my girlfriend, because I think that it's just what they need.
Melissa
Sep 09, 2014 Melissa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Funny at times, but ultimately falls flat. Girl with liberal parents enters a pageant and discovers herself.
Very funny series, better than the first.
Candy Boisvert
Jun 19, 2008 Candy Boisvert rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone!
Recommended to Candy by: No one
Title: Miss Smithers
Author: Susan Juby
Copyright date: 2004
Publisher: Harpertrophycanada
How many pages: 344 pgs
Category: Fiction
I learned about this book from: the TV series
Comments: As I read more into this series, I find that I have a lot in common with Alice. Besides the hippie mother and the smart brother, I am Alice to a tee...which is why this series intrigues me so much...I have even thought about going to some thrift stores while reading this. :P
Julian
Aug 30, 2007 Julian rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
Decent sequel to Alice, I Think. The continued exploits of a social-skill-less homeschooled teenager in a small Canadian town, in her first year of regular school and while she enters a pageant. Contains some brilliant one-liners and the main character is fun to read/sympathize with/be horrified about.
Jenny
Mar 23, 2011 Jenny rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teen
Alice returns, and she isn't a social outcast anymore. She has $400 clothing allowance and has entered the Miss Smithers beauty contest. Her thriftstore style, kooky friends, and a prematurely published 'zine has catapulted her into a whirlwind of adventures and activities.
Nothing
Feb 18, 2012 Nothing rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I think I would have enjoyed this book more had the narrator been even the least bit likable. She was so arrogant, never admitted a mistake and seemed to have a hard time fathoming that she isn't the center of the universe. She doesn't even try to be likable.
Morgan
Jan 07, 2012 Morgan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Precisely what I expected from Juby. Great fun to read. It's a sequel but I don't think you have to have read the first book to understand it; although you'll probably want to after reading Miss Smithers. Quirky and Canadian. Just how I like my books.
Tara Eglington
Feb 21, 2013 Tara Eglington rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is dangerous - in that people around you will be staring as you barely hold it together from laughing. Some of the most unique, and ridiculous yet endearing characters to make onto the pages of a YA novel. Must read!
Heather
I liked the was Juby made the book in a 'diary' format. It gave the book a nice touch. I think the author could have described Alice a bit more. For example; how tall is Alice? Other than that I really enjoyed it.
Viviana
Feb 25, 2008 Viviana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: sarcastic witty people
Shelves: 2008
Alice, oh Alice. You gotta love her and her witty thoughts. Her speech for the Mother Daughter Tea was priceless. I am in love with Alice, she is smart and her clothes is really original and creative.
Katrina
Alice is incredibly self-centered, which gets obnoxious at times, but is not unrealistic because I know quite a few teens who would fit that bill. Another quick, light, enjoyable read.
Alyssa
Mar 28, 2008 Alyssa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Canadians
Shelves: young-adult
A good equal sequel to Alice, I Think. Going upwards and onwards, plan to read the third book Alice MacLeod, Realist at Last. Alice is just as...interesting as always.
Siennache
Aug 09, 2011 Siennache rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An awesome book about an awesome girl. It really has a good handle on the themes of being yourself no matter what. This girl goes up against society basically.
Goldie Marie
Aug 02, 2007 Goldie Marie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: bueatyqueens
It was an honest to god classic book. The book was a totally new idea and it was executed beautifully; the teen angst was played to it's most delightful humor.
Libby
Jun 03, 2011 Libby rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Kind of cheesy, and stereotypical. Not what I find funny at all, and I was continually annoyed and never amused/endeared to Alice.
Kimmyh
Jan 21, 2011 Kimmyh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was the sequel to 'Alice, I Think' and was just as quirky and funny as the original.
 10-12 Jaycie
This book is verry well written and filled with encouraging words that are verry well written!
Mari Cuthbert
Way too long winded. Way too boring. It tries to make a profound statement and fails miserably.
Marna
Apr 01, 2016 Marna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not as funny as the first but still pretty amazing. (I remember zines...sort of).
Nifty
Oct 29, 2012 Nifty rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
AMAZING AND PERFECT AND BEAUTIFUL AND AMAZING AND I CAN'T EVEN DO THIS RIGHT NOW
Halle21
Sep 27, 2010 Halle21 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book it was good. Maybe a little too long, but a good story line :)
Jasmin
Dec 09, 2008 Jasmin rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Horrible! Horrible! Horrible. This book is just plain weird!!!?!
  • The Outside Circle
  • Inferno
  • Leading Lines
  • Fruit
  • Esther
  • (You) Set Me on Fire
  • The Droughtlanders (Triskelia, #1)
  • Rabbit Ears
  • Alone at Ninety Foot
  • Are You Seeing Me?
  • Dead Water Zone
(from her website)

I was raised in Smithers, BC, Canada and lived there until I moved to Toronto at age 20. I had a brief and unsuccessful career as a fashion design student and, after I worked at a series of low paying jobs, such as server, record store employee, etc., I began a degree in English Literature at University of Toronto, which I finished at the University of British Columbia. After gra
More about Susan Juby...

Alice MacLeod (3 books)
  • Alice, I Think (Alice MacLeod, #1)
  • Alice MacLeod, Realist at Last (Alice MacLeod, #3)