Yesterday's Promise (East of the Sun, #2)

Yesterday's Promise (East of the Sun #2)

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  284 ratings  ·  20 reviews
He fought to seek his fortune.
Would he lose a greater treasure: the love he left behind?

As the son of the squire of Grimston Way, aristocrat Rogan Chantry has fought hard to win his independence from Sir Julien Bley and the British South Africa Company. Now, his pursuit of a mysterious deposit of gold, marked on a map willed to him by his murdered uncle, Henry Chantry, i...more
Published February 16th 2010 by WaterBrook Press (first published February 17th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Yesterday's Promise, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Yesterday's Promise

Proud Book Nerd
This is another book that I received as part of a blog tour. Before reading the book, I was disappointed to find out that this was Book 2 in a series. I hate starting a series (not just books, but anything - TV series, movies, etc.) anywhere but the beginning. Normally, I would table the book until I'd read the previous one in the series. But, I had agreed to read this one and post a review this week. As this was one of two books I was to review this week, I didn't have the time to read Book 1 i...more
Tabitha
For me the novel Yesterday’s Promise, by Linda Lee Chaikin, was a little bit hard to get into. I figure this is due to the fact that it is the second book of Chaikin’s “East of the Sun Series,” and the first book of the series I’ve read. However, being that I hadn’t read the first book of the series I don’t feel that took anything away from the story. If I would have read the first book this one would have been richer for me of course, but I still really enjoyed it. The only historical novels I...more
Linda Jennings
This book just never "took off" for me. It had a good plot, but not developed. maybe because if just have this one book and had no background from the 1st book of the series.?
Renee
Yesterday's Promise is the continuing story of Evy Varley and Rogan Chantry as they each seek to find the answers of their pasts so they can move on with their futures. This book like the first is split between 19th century South Africa and England. The scenery in this book is wonderful. I could actually picture the Big Hole, where diamond mining took place as well as the African wilderness. Rogan Chantry is still as roguish as ever and you can't help but cheer him on as he stands up to Julien B...more
Lilly W.
This book is amazing! It all starts out with Evy in her cottage alone during a storm she heard something in the attic so she went up opened the door and saw a black figure rushing towards her then she was pushed and got knocked out. When she wakes up she is in London in a hospital about to be transported to the Chantry Townhouse. So she has a high chance of her legs not healing completely and she just might have to be in crutches the rest of her life. Now while she is in London her "boyfriend"...more
From My Blog....[return][return]Yesterday's Romance is the second book in Linda Lee Chaikin's East of the Sun Series. While I have not read the first novel, Tomorrow's Treasure, I was quite easily able to follow along with this wonderful historical romance novel. I was pleasantly surprised to discover just how deeply historical Yesterday's Promise is and found the writing to be both fluid and exceedingly engaging. The two main characters Evy Varley and Rowan Chantry are well written and quite en...more
Linda B
Yesterday's Promise is the second of three East of the Sun series. It is an involved story with mystery, adventure and romance. I would recommend reading the first, Tomorrow's Treasure first. I think it would give a better grasp of the people and situations involved in the story. There are interesting situations and places with valuable treasure, tribal difficulties, and power struggles. I appreciated the author's historical information and a list of historical dates following the story. The wri...more
Jennifer Defoy
I couldn't get into this one. The story starts out great, but after that I kept getting lost. I don't know why I didn't like this one, I really can't pinpoint it, but it just didn't work for me.

I got about half way through this one and had forgotten the intricacies and relationships between the characters. There weren't a ton of characters, but for some reason I just couldn't keep them straight.

The biggest reason why I didn't like this one is that I just felt so confused through it. The basic s...more
Mandy Hoffman
Yesterday's Promise is the second book in the East Of The Sun trilogy and yet it is possible to read it as a stand alone and still enjoy the story. Set in the 1800's, it's the story of aristocrat Rogan Chantry and Evy Varley and their love that is separated by mystery, blame, and intrigue until finally the truth sets them free. The plot is thick, the mystery deep, but if you enjoy historical romance and suspense this is a good read for a great value.
Mary-Jo
This book was 2 out of three in the series. This book is almost as good as the first. The plot got a little complicated with trying to figure out the political undertones of the English, Dutch and South Africans. Lots of detail given to geography of Africa. Got confusing at times, but good to wade through it as the story is full of suspenseful twists and turns. Cannot wait to read the 3rd book!
Andrea
I was looking forward to the East of the Sun series to continue with this book, but I have to admit that part of the story was dragging for me. I know there's something to keeping your readers in suspense, but the Africa part that quite of the story dragged with just wasn't what I wanted to read. I do like historical fiction, and things got better after awhile. Guess I'm just not very patient.
Jeni Enjaian
Though this is not my favorite of the series I still enjoyed it. My one main complaint is that Rogan and Evy are apart for so much of the book and as much as I enjoy the Africa portions, it just wasn't as compelling for the above reason. This book is wonderful light reading that will definitely stay a long time in my personal library.
Ellie
I liked it...but didn't like as much as I did the first one in the series. I wished that the the main character and the guy she falls in love with were interacted a bit more than the author had them. But other than that, it was good.
Jill
This is the second in a trilogy of books. Continues the adventures in the first book, a little more historical but I did enjoy it and will be reading the third book.
Jamie
Not as good for me as the first one, mostly because it doesn't have as much of the romance. But still some great mystery and history, a wonderful read!
Diane Duncan
I really enjoyed this 'East of the Sun' series and will look for other books by this author
Julie
Really should be more like 3.5 stars. Review will be posted on my blog soon.
Sparky
2nd in the series. Interesting but a bit drier than the first book.
Afifa
it was really great
heel leuk geschreven!
Corrah E
excellent book & and excellent series!!!
Kclyn
Kclyn marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014
Anna Mae
Anna Mae marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2014
  • Deirdre (Fires of Gleannmara #3)
  • Here Burns My Candle (Here Burns My Candle, #1)
  • The Golden Cross (Heirs of Cahira O'Connor #2)
  • Somewhere a Song (Daughters of Fortune #2)
  • Sweet Boundless (The Diamond of the Rockies #2)
  • The Dowry Of Miss Lydia Clark (Gresham Chronicles #3)
  • Ransome's Crossing (The Ransome Trilogy, #2)
  • Ekaterina (Heirs of Anton, #1)
  • Embrace the Dawn (Scottish Higland #1)
  • An Absence So Great (Portraits of the Heart, #2)
  • The Blue Enchantress (Charles Towne Belles, #2)
  • Toward the Sunrising (Cheney Duvall, M.D., #4)
  • Beneath a Southern Sky (Natalie Camfield, #1)
Linda Chaikin is a Christian fiction author with a focus on historical fiction. She sometimes publishes using the name L.L. Chaikin.

Linda was the youngest of 10 children and her father died shortly after she was born. She wrote her first full-length novel with pen and paper at the age of 14 - this novel was later rewritten as Wednesday's Child, part of the Day to Remember series.

She met her husban...more
More about Linda Lee Chaikin...
Silk (Heart of India, #1) Kingscote (Heart of India #3) Under Eastern Stars (Heart of India, #2) Daughter of Silk (The Silk House, #1) Arabian Winds (Egypt Trilogy #1)