Start by marking “Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions Trade Edition” as Want to Read:
Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions Trade Edition

Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions Trade Edition

4.43 of 5 stars 4.43  ·  rating details  ·  2,355 ratings  ·  64 reviews
Originally published in 1952, Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions, is the classic book used by A.A. members and groups around the world. It lays out the principles by which A.A. members recover and by which the fellowship functions. The basic text clarifies the Steps which constitute the A.A. way of life and the Traditions, by which A.A. maintains its unity.
Published February 10th 2002 by Alcoholics Anonymous World Services (first published 1965)

To ask other readers questions about Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions Trade Edition, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions Trade Edition

Meen
May 26, 2008 Meen rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People early in recovery (w/caveats!)
I really struggled with how to rate the "12 & 12." I've been sober for over 9 years now, and I stopped being a semi-regular AA probably 5 years ago. (And I was NEVER an "AA Nazi" at all. I never officially did all the Steps, and I'm pretty sure I've never even read the ENTIRE Big Book.) BUT, after I had been sober for 9 months on my own and went to my first meeting out of just a desperation to be around SOMEONE who might understand all the emotions I was going through, it meant so much to be...more
Chris Garcia
Aug 08, 2008 Chris Garcia rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: All of you drunks + everyone else
Beseeched by one of my clients to read it, I've found that this is surely one of the great spiritual texts. I would advise anyone to read it.

It does, however, contain some offensive throwbacks to the mid-twentieth century, when it was written, back when we were all the same, I guess. It's sexist -- all alcoholics are men, it seems, to the dismay of their wives. It's heterosexist (Oh, wait. That's not a throwback.).

Anyway, like the Bible and presumably many sacred texts, you have to ignore the ba...more
Cristin
I agree with my wise friend Wendell. This book addresses much more than alcoholism. There is something very simple and clear about the twelve steps and twelve traditions--something that can impart the sort knowledge that is useful to a broad spectrum of folks.

I am fascinated by the way the steps and traditions are arranged. They seem to be constructed in an exceedingly intelligent way-- a way that discourages corruption, greed, gossip...It encourages sensible democracy and economy of thought, f...more
James
A great and must-read adjunct to the Big Book, Alcoholic Anonymous. Whereas that was written very early in the life of the A.A. movement, when no one had more than a handful of years of experience of sober life, this was written with the benefit of much more insight and spiritual growth. This is a very practical how-to guide to applying the principles of the 12 Steps in one's personal life, and to applying the 12 Traditions to the thinking and decisions of groups. Both have proven themselves as...more
Mitch S
Helpful to those who have a drinking problem. My biggest issue with this book and the big book (alcoholics anonymous) was the "God Concept". Continually it mentions and thrives on this idea that you are "powerless over alcohol and that your life has become unmanageable." This is the centric theme of the texts but I can not accept it because I take the blame/responsibility of my actions for myself. Step 8 comes back to reality with "make amends with those you have harmed with your addiction" I ca...more
Tim Franzen
These essays where written 15 years after Bill Wilson wrote Alcoholics Anonymous. There's a tremndous amount of insight into human behavior her, truly a treasure trove for anyone interested in the human mind. the essays on the traditions are also an interesting proposal for an anarcistic governing system that actually has proven pretty successful. A system that treasures personal independence, and de-centralized local governing bodies.
Shannon
Great book. Explains the 12-step process of recovery, step by step. Includes information about the Traditions, or by-laws, of AA, which is how the organization has survived since 1935.
Patricia Atkinson
this book goes throught the 12 steps and traditions of a a it also has storys that you can read some groups in a a read this book and asks qestions after as part of the meeting,this book is a must read it helps you understand and lets you know others have been there too.
Holly
foundation of recovery. Love that its on my kindle....
not a huge exciting read, but I certainly have used it recently. It is part of some basic literature that is the foundation for a 12 step recovery program for personal growth, and self accountability. Its primary purpose is to help the person in recovery stay sober, but the 12 steps are so much more than that. They will help you learn about yourself, and grow in ways you would never imagine. The best part is its free!! All that is required is...more
Heather Key
This is just a a book the more clearly explains each step and tradition of the AA 12 steps and traditions. I would say if you are in AA this book would help you better understand why they were created.
Sheryl
A book to definately read with someone else. Reading this book allowed allows you to see things much clearer. Be ready, be willing and be open once you begin this book.
Paula
Oct 26, 2011 Paula is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Great read for any alcoholic or anyone working a 12-step program! If you find out you're an alcoholic, you're picked-up for something alcohol related, court-ordered to go to AA-or someone's worried about your drinking-get one! It will explain the 12 suggested steps of the program to you.

And take it with you to the step-meetings. They often read the chapter corresponding to the step discussed from the book. And if you think you might have a problem w/alcohol-but totally not sure-read Step One!
Momowithamic
I read this to better understand friends and family who struggle with alcholism and addictions. What I found was a very straightforward way of living that is useful for me and I imagine for many others. It is a dated read with sexism and the like, however, given the intent of the message and the times in which it was written not to mention most studies show there are more male than female alcoholics, I did not find it offensive.

I recommend this title.
Kirk
What can be said about a book that literally saved my life? Really helps in the understanding of the cornerstones of the recovery process, the steps and traditions. Although there are those that minimize the importance of this particular book in the recovery process, I found it to be very helpful and used it extensively early in my sobriety.
Jim
This discusses, in detail & order, the 12 steps that a recovering alcoholic/addict must take in order to get their act together. The reasoning behind the steps & traditions are explained. Well worth reading if you are part of any 12 step program. Anyone who isn't would probably be better off devoting their time to the Big Book.
Carla
Not the Big Book. Some good & useful stuff, but creates confusion regarding the program of recovery. Dr. Bob urged Bill NOT to publish this. Bill did after Dr Bob's death.
This book was never intended to be a guide to the program of recovery and/or steps. It is a collections of articles, letters and personal opinions.
Jane
I loved reading this book and understanding the workings behind AA. It teaches about the traditions or guidelines of the organization. I can see the blessings of keeping these traditions in place and it has blessed the organization to thrive over the years to bless so many lives, including my own.
Wendell
While this has been--and I'm sure will continue to be--a priceless book for recovery, anyone going through rough times can benefit from the wisdom contained herein. My take is that you don't necessarily need to be religious for the "higher power" step(s), but at least *some* form of humility is recommended.
Marv
Aug 22, 2009 Marv rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: A Twelve Step Sponsor that's not too nutty to be dangerous.
Recommended to Marv by: Good God multitudes...
Sucks. Gross over complication of the Twelve Step Process. "Keep it simple stupid". That goes for you too, Mr. Bill Wilson (rest in peace you wonderful old sot). If you are new to recovery, avoid this book. Please. It will only make a difficult task seem complex as well.
Messengerlikeyou
This is a book that has helped save so many lifes. A wonderful man and a wonderful message. This book I think needs to be discussed among a group to really understand it, one can not digest it`s full meanings without discussion with others. Thank you Bill :)
Chuck Oleary
Along with The Big Book, this book changed my life in every way! In June, I will celebrate 7 years sobriety in AA. One day at a time. Only by the grace if God.
These 2 books helped me learn how to live the AA way of life. I still read them today.
David Ward
Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions by Alcoholic Anonymous (Alcoholics Anonymous World Services 1981)(616.861). This guide to self-help rehab is the second most important AA text after “The Big Book”. My rating: 7.5/10, finished 2006.
Jd Guinn
Personally I believe this to be the most important document in the AA lexicon. I have heard it referred to both within the AA circle and without as "a guide to better living". That for me is exactly what it is!
Maureen
if you're looking for solid literature on the twelve steps- this is your book! it is my favorite program literature in print. it is practical and plain. helps me not be so self- diluted.
Chavonne
Jun 29, 2012 Chavonne rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone in or helping those in recovery
I am pretty glad that "12 and 12" books exist in that they help flesh concepts out for step work. I read this as a way to prepare for work with clients and found it helpful.
April
I live by this book. I use the 11th step prayer every morning to this day. For anyone that has had to walk down the path of Alcohol recovery, this book is a lifesaver!
John Yarbrough

great book and good reminders of the purpose of each step and tradition. I know that i'll use this as a reference for the future.
Cheryl Meares
I have read this book and will continue reading this book over and over for the rest of my life.

This book holds the tools to live a great life
Cheryl Meares

This book holds the tools to live a great life
Ann
This book changed my life. I have been sober since 8-12-1985!
I think working the 12 steps are essential to staying sober and living a great life.
  • One Day at a Time in Al-Anon
  • Codependents' Guide to the Twelve Steps: New Stories
  • Adult Children of Alcoholics
  • Narcotics Anonymous
  • The Sermon on the Mount: The Key to Success in Life
  • My Name Is Bill: Bill Wilson--His Life and the Creation of Alcoholics Anonymous
  • A New Pair of Glasses
  • Facing Codependence: What It Is, Where It Comes from, How It Sabotages Our Lives
  • It Will Never Happen to Me!
  • Healing the Child Within: Discovery and Recovery for Adult Children of Dysfunctional Families
  • The Spirituality of Imperfection: Storytelling and the Search for Meaning
  • The Courage to Heal Workbook: A Guide for Women Survivors of Child Sexual Abuse
  • The Courage to Heal: A Guide for Women Survivors of Child Sexual Abuse
  • Healing the Shame that Binds You
  • Drop The Rock: Removing Character Defects - Steps Six and Seven
  • Waiting: A Nonbeliever's Higher Power
  • The 12-Step Buddhist: Enhance Recovery from Any Addiction
Books can be attributed to "Anonymous" for several reasons:

* They are officially published under that name
* They are traditional stories not attributed to a specific author
* They are religious texts not generally attributed to a specific author

Books whose authorship is merely uncertain should be attributed to Unknown.
More about Anonymous...
Holy Bible: King James Version The Arabian Nights: Tales from a Thousand and One Nights The Epic of Gilgamesh Holy Bible: New International Version The Bhagavad Gita

“We have learned that the satisfaction of instincts cannot be the sole aim of our lives.” 21 likes
“We sometimes hurt those we love because they need to be “taught a lesson,” when we really want to punish. We were depressed and complained we felt bad, when in fact we were mainly asking for sympathy and attention. This odd trait of mind and emotion, this perverse wish to hide a bad motive underneath a good one, permeates human affairs from top to bottom. This subtle and elusive kind of self-righteousness can underlie the smallest act or thought. Learning daily to spot, admit, and correct these flaws is the essence of character-building and good living. An honest regret for harms done, a genuine gratitude for blessings received, and a willingness to try for better things tomorrow will be the permanent assets we shall seek.” 5 likes