Start by marking “Adopted Son: Washington, Lafayette, and the Friendship that Saved the Revolution” as Want to Read:

They were unlikely comrades-in-arms. One was a self-taught, middle-aged Virginia planter in charge of a ragtag army of revolutionaries, the other a rich, glory-seeking teenage French aristocrat. But the childless Washington and the orphaned Lafayette forged a bond between them as strong as any between father and son. It was an unbreakable trust that saw them through betray ...more
Published January 29th 2008 by Bantam (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Adopted Son, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Adopted Son

Jerome
Jun 25, 2014 Jerome rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed Clary’s history of the Mexican-American war, and this book was just as good. Clary tells the story of the friendship between Washington and Lafayette, and how Washington became a father figure to Lafayette. The book doesn’t really tell the story of Lafayette’s contribution to the war effort, or at least not as well.

The book is quite lively, and the story of Lafayette, the teenage general who constantly disobeyed the orders of his French superiors in his quest for glory, is well told. L
Robert Krenzel
Adopted son is a readable and well-researched account of the life of Lafayette, on of the best-known but least appreciated generals of the American Revolution.

The author clearly did his work in sorting out the background that enabled Washington and Lafayette to come together and develop a life-long bond that shaped both the American and French Revolutions. His insights are fascinating.

The book suffers a bit from the heavy reliance on letters between Washington and Lafayette. While they do offer
Kelsey
Aug 19, 2015 Kelsey rated it liked it
In all actuality, 3.5 stars. And I apologize in advance for this review because there is no way that I can accurately describe the love these two men shared for each other, and the way that affected me.

Ok, so even though this wasn't my favorite book of all time, I'm sad that I (finally) finished it! I'm going to miss my daily dose of the Marquis. He was just so adorable and funny. At many points I laughed out loud reading about the things he had said or done.

Anyway, to jump into the real review.
Brian
Nov 01, 2011 Brian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a fascinating book about the lives of George Washington and the Marquis de Lafayette. I was especially interested in the life of Lafayette since I knew very little about him. I didn't realize how young he was when he came over to the New World (against the wishes of the King).

I believe that Clary did a good job capturing the personalities of both generals. Neither were perfect. Lafayette often became offended over little things and he was not good at saving his money. he adored Washingt
Jessica
Feb 18, 2014 Jessica rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-of-2014
I found this a hard book to keep interested in. The first 100 pages or so were good but then it just dragged. My cat ended up taking many a nap on it, though. Basically it's a so-so book, but a great cat pillow.
Anita
Oct 09, 2012 Anita rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book provided a new perspective on one of my favorite periods in history, the American Revolution. A thorough telling of Lafayette's life, as well as the little-known personal bond he had with Washington.
Melissa
Apr 19, 2008 Melissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Parts of this book are tremendously engrossing; parts weren't and I skimmed these. I never realized how close Washington and Lafayette were.
Tobi
May 17, 2012 Tobi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great read about the friendship between Washington and Lafayette. Their friendship inspires me and I envy it.
Craig Bolton
"Adopted Son: Washington, Lafayette, and the Friendship that Saved the Revolution by David A. Clary (2008)"
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2016
David
David marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2016
Sandro Candinho De Jesus
Sandro Candinho De Jesus rated it it was amazing
Sep 20, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Eunice
Eunice marked it as to-read
Muzette Alcocer
Muzette Alcocer marked it as to-read
Madison
Madison marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2016
SHEILA A
SHEILA A marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2016
Tavisshine Lee
Tavisshine Lee marked it as to-read
Bill Abercrombie
Bill Abercrombie marked it as to-read
Snow
Snow marked it as to-read
Linda Rolande
Linda Rolande marked it as to-read
Adeline G.
Adeline G. marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2016
Michael Romo
Michael Romo marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2016
Eleanor
Eleanor marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2016
Kim Kasanic
Kim Kasanic marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2016
Kay
Kay marked it as to-read
MA Tian
MA Tian rated it it was amazing
Ronald S Wanat
Ronald S Wanat marked it as to-read
prakashgadre
prakashgadre rated it liked it
Sep 09, 2016
  • The Drillmaster of Valley Forge: The Baron de Steuben and the Making of the American Army
  • General George Washington: A Military Life
  • For Liberty and Glory: Washington, Lafayette, and Their Revolutions
  • George Washington's War: The Forging of a Revolutionary Leader and the American Presidency
  • Martha Washington: First Lady of Liberty
  • Martha Washington: An American Life
  • Setting the World Ablaze: Washington, Adams, Jefferson, and the American Revolution
  • The Winter Soldiers: The Battles for Trenton and Princeton
  • The Perils of Peace: America's Struggle for Survival After Yorktown
  • George Washington
  • When Washington Crossed the Delaware: A Wintertime Story for Young Patriots
  • Patriot Pirates: The Privateer War for Freedom and Fortune in the American Revolution
  • Founding Father: Rediscovering George Washington