Start by marking “My Heart's in the Lowlands: Ten Days in Bonny Scotland” as Want to Read:
My Heart's in the Lowlands: Ten Days in Bonny Scotland

My Heart's in the Lowlands: Ten Days in Bonny Scotland

My Heart's in the Lowlands: Ten Days in Bonny
Published February 20th 2007 by WaterBrook Press

To ask other readers questions about My Heart's in the Lowlands, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Heart's in the Lowlands

Shirley Shedd
Feb 24, 2008 Shirley Shedd rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone interested in Scotland, both historical or current.
This book is truly a travelogue--I feel I could take it and follow the descriptions even without a map. (But I get easily lost, so I probably would take a map.) Vivid description and the use of all the senses are techniques Higgs uses in all her books. This one is no exception. Because of the first person approach, talking to the rider (reader) in the other seat, the reader gains a sense of immediacy. I picked up this book to complement the reading of Higgs' four historical novels, including Gra ...more
Kalena
Dec 14, 2016 Kalena rated it it was amazing
Loved this book! It had the cutest drawings and great information. More to come!
Donna
Feb 14, 2017 Donna rated it liked it
I really expected to love this book. I love Scotland and have been there and hope to go back someday. I haven't read any of the other books by this author, so really don't have anything to compare to. I guess I just found the book somewhat boring and really wanting information about the area she was touring. I honestly can't really tell you anything I learned about the area she toured. I did think the illustrations were nice and I could tell the author loves Scotland. Just would have liked a lit ...more
J
Mar 22, 2016 J rated it did not like it
I've been thinking about how to describe this book... Stupid, was my first thought. But really, it is beyond that. It was kind of like searching through garbage trying to find something useful or interesting. I did find a FEW interesting things, but not sure I found anything useful if I was to ever travel to Scotland. This book was described as "an armchair travel book" by an author who writes best selling historical novels set in Scotland. Well, this travel book certainly did NOT make me want t ...more
Tarissa
Sep 27, 2012 Tarissa rated it it was amazing
"My Heart's in the Lowlands" is a book that, with a bit of imagination, you can effortlessly envision yourself on a 10-day trip to Scotland, right alongside author Liz Curtis Higgs. This could be referred to as "armchair travel"---where you have the opportunity to visit Scotland without ever leaving your comfy spot at home. Aye.

Mrs. Higgs has already been to Scotland many times before (in reality). She knows her way around, and how to get to the most alluring parts of the country. This time, she
Emily Barrus
Feb 15, 2017 Emily Barrus rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! Liz Curtis Higgs has been to Scotland several times and it definitely showed throughout the book with such descriptive detail. After reading this book, I can't wait for the opportunity to go to Scotland and tour the Lowlands!
Angie Fehl
Jan 19, 2015 Angie Fehl rated it liked it
It's not a bad read necessarily, but not the best piece of travel writing I've read. I've not read any of her Scottish themed novels, I mainly just picked this up because I like to live vicariously through travel writing books. There was something about her way of writing here that was alright at first but after awhile got irritating --- the over-animated tone had me picturing a woman who was doing the female squee of excitement that, when used at seemingly every moment, drives me battty. Also, ...more
Lisa
May 21, 2015 Lisa rated it liked it
There were a bit too many "Ayes" and "Dearies" from the author. I did get potato scones, haggis, black pudding and a savory scone with my Full Scottish Breakfast which she covers on page 72. When in Scotland sample their food. On page 73 she writes, "Judging by the grimace on your face, I'd say tiptoeing around the cemetery of the Kirkbean Parish Church after breakfast is not your idea of a good time." As a genealogist I've maxed out memory cards photographing tombstones in cemeteries where my r ...more
Kristin
May 09, 2012 Kristin rated it it was ok
Shelves: travel-regional
It was certainly strange to be reading a armchair travel book on the Lowlands of Scotland while traveling in Puerto Rico. Enjoying one vacation and looking forward to another, I guess!

Having read numerous books from this author, I was curious to learn more about the modern day status of the towns used in her stories. She did an excellent job of balancing descriptions of locations (e.g. churches, castles, towns, landscapes) with historic tales, detail of meals, notes on shopping and interactions
Marti
Nov 25, 2013 Marti rated it it was ok
Annoying so far... :P

Ok, I must admit that since I didn't complete this book I'm not the best judge. But I just. Couldn't. Finish. The whole pretending-the-reader-is-in-the-car-on-the-trip schtick was just too much. And italicizing every slightly non-American word and then giving an explanation? ["Lorry - it's what they call delivery trucks in the UK" "Pound - their currency; a pound coin feels like..."] And then there were the various Robert Burns poems and lines from the authors romance novels
Erin
May 15, 2009 Erin rated it did not like it
Shelves: travel
I did not care for this book. The writing style is very off-putting and there's a real shortage of substantial content here. The author's prose is ridiculously romanticized and so pandering that I felt a little insulted reading it.

I read a lot of travel writing, but this is not travel writing. This was sort of like reading a 13-year old's self-important travel journal. It didn't teach me anything new or interesting about Scotland, which is a real shame. I eventually gave up on the book, sorely
Audrey
Apr 22, 2014 Audrey rated it it was amazing
This book was charmingly delightful. The author invites the reader to go on a ten day journey to her favourite Scottish haunts where many of her fictional characters lived. It is well written and I thoroughly enjoyed my journey with her. She made Scotland seem real to me as if I was personally experiencing it for myself. I loved it and recommend it to anyone who loves history, travel, Scotland, and any other of her books.
Marthalie Thurston
Feb 15, 2013 Marthalie Thurston rated it it was ok
I like Liz Curtis Higgs's style. This book was more of a travel log that one could carry as they roamed the Lowlands.
Arriving @ "Sanct Johnis Kirk of Dalrye" pg 222 I got a novel' experience and it remained as we roamed the beginning of the Highlands.
Truly a GOOD book to read for much information, but do not approach your read in any way but well written travel log.
I do recommend this book and author,
Emily Ragsdale
Aug 01, 2015 Emily Ragsdale rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015-read
Galloway isn't on my itinerary for Scotland, but I loved this book nonetheless for the picture of Scotland as I hope I'll find it - charmingly cozy and stunningly beautiful, with weather so lovely it'll make me cry to come back to hot dry Kansas.

Liz Curtis Higgs can be over the top at times (why do writers of contemporary Christian fiction seem to think the more flowery their writing, the better?), but I didn't mind her gushing too much since, I mean...SCOTLAND.
Dianne Oliver
Dec 12, 2013 Dianne Oliver rated it it was ok
Shelves: travel
Having heard this writer lecture, and amused by her, I was disappointed that her humor didn't come across in her book, and I found her writing a bit amateur. However, I did learn some tidbits about Scotland.
Tammy Burger
Aug 09, 2015 Tammy Burger rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: geocaching
Bonnie Scotland

I can't wait for my visit to the Lowlands later this year with Liz. Her love of the area is contagious and evident within this book. My heart ached to come to the end.
Kirstin
Feb 27, 2012 Kirstin rated it did not like it
I couldn't finish it. Too much cutsey "Dear reader" talk and too many quotations from her other books. In my opinion, an author has to be incredibly well-written and critically-acclaimed to make it worthwhile quoting herself--and I'd never even heard of her before.
Karyn
Nov 25, 2008 Karyn rated it really liked it
Oh my heavens! This book was SLOW! And I'm one of those people who likes slow! Still, I liked the book. It slowly pulled me through the lowlands and gave me a brilliant picture of traveling through this part of Scotland.
Kathleen
Mar 15, 2009 Kathleen rated it really liked it
Although the writing style of "talking to" the reader as if you were her travel companion wore a bit thin after a couple of chapters, it was a great "trip" back to Scotland. I also discovered places I missed on my trip. They are on the list for next time.
Suzanne
Aug 09, 2012 Suzanne rated it it was amazing
This is an armchair traveler. So as you read the book, it is as if you are spending 10 days in the lowlands of Scotland with the author. I loved this book(of course) and would recommend it to anyone who is interested in Scotland.
Laurie
Mar 14, 2008 Laurie rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Aye, Those with Scotland in their hearts
A sedate car ride through the Scottish lowlands. An extremely knowledgeable guide, Higgs takes the reader with her up & down rolling hills and strolling through damp grounds to explore castles, kirkyards, inns & shops. Utterly charming.
Darlene
May 17, 2011 Darlene rated it it was amazing
This book made me yearn for a visit to Scotland! Wonderful descriptions and colorful, native vocabulary are abundant. Very informative!
Tanita S.
Nov 30, 2007 Tanita S. rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Adults who love romanticizing landscapes.
This was a gift I hadn't gotten around to reading. It's fair, but it's highly romanticized from the non-tourist Scotland I'm discovering - but people who enjoy travel narratives might like it.
Debbie
Aug 06, 2011 Debbie rated it really liked it
This book made me want to go to Scotland!!!! Loved it!!!
Kathleen
Jan 29, 2011 Kathleen rated it liked it
Liked the information, not so much the writing style. Clever convention to write like the reader and the author are traveling together...
Mary Kay
Oct 11, 2015 Mary Kay rated it really liked it
A wonder rm-chair trip through Liz's eyes. Next best thing to a book full of her photos & being there.
Kristina
Mar 20, 2013 Kristina rated it it was ok
Shelves: informative
Not the most interesting book. Though it was nice to learn a bit more about the modern day culture of Scotland.
Susan
Oct 28, 2013 Susan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
Wonderful book! Good travel writer.
Kelley
May 20, 2012 Kelley rated it really liked it
Wonderful read. I really enjoy Liz Higgs style of writing and witty character.
Grace
Apr 08, 2011 Grace rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in Scotland
I had a really hard time getting into this book. Not that it wasn't well written but a guess a travel documentary is not my thing.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Scotland: A Concise History
  • The Witness of the Stars
  • Magnificent Corpses: Searching Through Europe for St. Peter's Head, St. Claire's Heart, St. Stephen's Hand, and Other Saintly Relic
  • 13 Phantasms and Other Stories
  • Impressionists
  • The Middle Window
  • Get Married: What Women Can Do to Help it Happen
  • The Book of a Hundred Hands
  • Three Gothic Novels: The Castle of Otranto, Vathek, The Vampyre, and a Fragment of a Novel
  • The Mammoth Book of 20th Century Ghost Stories
  • The Life and Death of St Kilda
  • The Unshakable Truth
  • Folklore of the Scottish Highlands
  • A Gothic Treasure Trove
Former Bad Girl, grateful for the grace God offers. Happy wife of Bill, one of the Good Guys. Proud mom of two grown-up kids with tender hearts. Lame housekeeper. Marginal cook. Pitiful gardener. Stuff I love? Encouraging my sisters in Christ—across the page, from the platform, online, in person. Unpacking Scripture. Traveling wherever God leads. Listening to his heart. Leaning into his embrace.
More about Liz Curtis Higgs...

“A good friend of mine feels the same way about Italy and another adores a certain island in the Caribbean. For me it will always be Scotland - Galloway in particular. the musical lilt of a Lowland accent never fails to boost my spirits. I'm simply deliriously happy there.” 5 likes