Start by marking “MR Underbed” as Want to Read:
MR Underbed

MR Underbed

An irresistible bedtime tale, reissued with all-new illustrations

Jim wonders what to do when a shaggy blue head pops up from under his bed and complains about having to sleep on a hard floor. He kindly allows the monster into the bed, but he was not prepared for the monster's snoring. As he investigates other places in his room to sleep, he finds each spot is home to it

Published February 1st 1998 by Trafalgar Square Publishing (first published January 1st 1986)

To ask other readers questions about MR Underbed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about MR Underbed

Daydream Believer
Apr 28, 2016 Daydream Believer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sehr lustig ! ☺
Marilyn
Jan 04, 2014 Marilyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Todays book is the perfect choice for bedtime, especially for kids who have trouble coping with the dark and especially with the idea that perhaps there are alien monsters lurking about under the bed. The illustrations are truly amazing and the monsters depicted are polite, friendly and really quite adorable. The illustrations drive the text and give a great sense of calm and peace as the monsters smile, interact with Jim and curl up in his bed for the night. Just as he is about to doze off he h ...more
Daniel Smith
Oct 15, 2015 Daniel Smith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ks1

When Jim kindly allows Mr Underbed to sleep in his bed, he is totally unprepared for all the other unexpected visitors who want to share it too!

This story is a good example of an 'end of the day' book to read to young children as children will enjoy reading on to find out what other characters are going to pop up, this could lead to children predicting what is going to happen next.

For the above reason, I enjoyed reading this story as I too was unprepared for what new characters will emerge and h
ESF Tsing Yi
Mr Underbed is a reassuring tale about fear of the dark, with endearing illustrations by Neil Gaiman's longtime collaborator Chris Riddell. A fun, lighter companion read toThe Dark and other tales of things under the bed that go bump in the night.
Shanshad Whelan
Cute, but without a real cohesive story arc. I'm left wondering what our little boy is going to do with all these critters wanting to use the bed instead of their usual haunts. I thought he might opt for under the bed himself and find it comfy, but that isn't what happened and the critters don't seem to notice that the boy is sleeping on the hard cold floor. The illustrations are lively, but the story and writing just doesn't add up to a satisfying story!
Suzy Platt
Jan 28, 2015 Suzy Platt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mya
My 3 year old daughter loved this book and all the characters in it. I bought it for her as she says every bedtime that certain noises scare her and I thought it might help her. She loved it so much that she now wants all the characters to jump in her bed for a big cuddle! Success!
Raneem
Nov 18, 2016 Raneem rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Its a cute book with a cheerful illustration
Fran
Nov 17, 2015 Fran rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens, library
It says on the back that the copy I read is 'completely updated and re-illustrated'. It'd be interesting to compare it with the original version.
LoriAnn Kocialski
O
Husnah Naim
Mar 04, 2012 Husnah Naim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
This book is ideal for bedtime reading. I really like the monsters. They are adorable!
Pam
May 06, 2013 Pam rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2013
Cute. Didn't explain whether they were real or not. Loved the illustrations.
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
This one fell a bit flat for me. I have seen others that work more for this concept.
R
May 15, 2011 R rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-book
Our least favorite of our Riddell books the redone illustrations are great but the story isn't as good.
Della
Oct 10, 2012 Della rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I classic from years ago, love it.
Bernadette
Awesome illustrations in this updated edition!
Mirka
Mirka rated it really liked it
Sep 24, 2011
Stacey
Stacey rated it liked it
Sep 26, 2013
Betty
Betty rated it liked it
Mar 28, 2015
Monique Mixon
Monique Mixon rated it it was amazing
May 24, 2013
Eda
Eda rated it liked it
Feb 26, 2017
jennifer
jennifer rated it liked it
Feb 10, 2014
Kreete
Kreete rated it really liked it
Sep 29, 2016
X-626
X-626 rated it really liked it
Sep 17, 2015
Kate
Kate rated it liked it
Jul 25, 2011
Jennifer rated it liked it
Apr 20, 2011
miss t e reapy
miss t e reapy rated it it was amazing
May 02, 2017
Rayna So
Rayna So rated it liked it
Apr 26, 2012
Laila
Laila rated it it was amazing
Jun 23, 2013
Angelo Kaye
Angelo Kaye rated it it was amazing
Oct 03, 2016
« previous 1 3 next »
Chris Riddell was born in Cape Town, South Africa, where his father was an Anglican priest and a member of the ANC. The family moved to England in 1963, when Riddell was one year old, and he spent his childhood in a number of different locations, as his father moved between parishes. Both of Riddell's parents continued to be active in the anti-apartheid movement.

Chris Riddell is an internationally
More about Chris Riddell...