Split Ends: Sometimes the End Is Really the Beginning

Split Ends: Sometimes the End Is Really the Beginning

3.6 of 5 stars 3.60  ·  rating details  ·  828 ratings  ·  66 reviews
She's armed--with hot irons, sharp shears, and a flair for color.

She's dangerous--truly bad news for bad hair.

And she's going to do whatever it takes to make a place for herself in the exclusive Beverly Hills salon.

Even if that means sweeping hair, emptying trash, scrubbing dummy heads, and making soy lattes for the stars that come to Yoshi's salon.

Even if it means hiding...more
Published April 1st 2007 by Integrity Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Split Ends, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Split Ends

Redeeming Love by Francine RiversA Voice in the Wind by Francine RiversThe Yada Yada Prayer Group by Neta JacksonAn Echo in the Darkness by Francine RiversThe Master's Plan A Novel About Purpose by Stephany Tullis
Christian Chick Lit
17th out of 403 books — 411 voters
The Master's Plan A Novel About Purpose by Stephany TullisUnconditional by Tanya EavensonThe Gladiator by Carla CapshawA Voice in the Wind by Francine RiversThe Duke's Redemption by Carla Capshaw
Inspirational Romances
463rd out of 493 books — 215 voters

More lists with this book...

Erika
Ugh. The best part of this book was that each chapter had a quote from a Hollywood legend: Sofia Loren, Cary Grant, Ingrid Bergman, etc.

I wasn't loving the book at first, but decided to continue on. Not sure that was the best course of action. In addition to having a main character that seemed to be a contradiction in terms, to put it nicely, no character in this book was anyone I would want to spend time with. Plus, and this is a bad one, the editing off the book was poor. Most of the errors w...more
Cookielover
Um, this book was amazing. Seriously. It's my favorite book...yes, I know I have at least three *cough, cough, ten*. This book made me read others by Kristen but none of them has surpassed Split Ends. I love the quotes before each chapter, Dane-I really love Dane-, and Sarah-Claire should be real so I can be her best friend.
Dawn Turner
I cracked up off and on through this whole book. Not an unusual experience for me with Kristin's work. Such a sweet story, with those humorous moments that had me laughing so hard I got cramps in my side. And SO relieved to know I'm not the only who noticed the "plastic". LOL
Heidi Petterson
Definitely my favorite of this author that I have read. It is her funniest one and the character is not annoying like Ashley Stockingdale (I'm sorry but could she be whinier?). Read this one first which is why I read the A.S. series.
Hanna
I had read a book by Ms Billerbeck before and had been seriously underwhelmed. I decided to give her a second chance and I'm glad I did. Split Ends is cute and romantic and just what I was in the mood for.
Gwyn
This picked up speed as it went along, and then it was pretty entertaining. I'd give it a 3.5 if I knew how!
Kandra
I just finished this book, and it reminded me that I really need to reread the first Kristin Billerbeck title I read last year...A Billion Reasons Why. I know I liked it then, but I think I would love to take another look. Another taste. That's what books are to me!
Anyway, back to Split Ends...when I received it, I thought I would probably coast through it and then pass it on to someone else. But I find myself savoring it, knowing I will want to enjoy it again sometime down the road, so I am giv...more
Lynne Valle
“Split Ends” by Kristin Billerbeck is entertaining; a great read. Ms. Billerbeck is an exceptional author with a keen ability to draw the reader into her wonderful imagination.

The leading lady, Sarah Claire Winowski, learns that the grass isn't always greener on the other side when she leaves her home town in Sable, Wyoming to live with her cousin, Scott, in LA.

Sarah's dream is to be the hairstylist to the stars. Scott is a celeb stylist who loves his younger cousin and wants to save her from th...more
Nicole Alder
I liked the plot line in this book. Who can resist the girl from the wrong side of the tracks having her dreams come true. That being said there were a few time that I felt the emotional responses of the characters were lacking. Sarah Claire's mother comes to L.A., gets in trouble at the airport, crashes a mentor meeting that Sarah is at, and is hauled away by the police, and Sarah goes home and cuts her roommates hair?! I felt that this particular part of the book could have been more realistic...more
Jane
I liked the prologue; short with a hint of what's to come but not necessarily how you expect it, and you recognize read it again near the end in context.
Interesting story about a girl trying to make it in the hair business after moving away from her small hometown and her alcoholic mother.
I liked this story more than three stars, but not necessarily as much as a full four. Since I have to choose and it was quite good, it gets four. Can't quite put my finger on why other than I want to say it w...more
Shellys♥ Journal
It's kind of a trite little Christian romance novel set in Hollywood. I think I'm a little too old for this book, but really wanted something lighter after my last read. It had some humorous characters and situations, and also some sadness. Lots of cliches, but surprisingly no gay hairdressers. (Or not, after all it is a Christian book. I was so waiting for that shoe to fall.)

It kind of went out there with a few things, but it did have that pull to get me to the end to see what was going to happ...more
Lindsey
Split Ends is a fun-filled trip to Beverly Hills through the eyes of Sarah Claire, an extremely likeable character with a terrific sense of humor. As someone who thought she didn't like chick lit, I found myself pleasantly surprised. I will never be able to say again that I don't enjoy this genre – Kristin Billerbeck has changed my mind. I highly recommend this humorous and inspiring story!

(Full review here: http://www.bookloons.com/cgi-bin/Revi...)
Bonnie Rose
Sep 20, 2007 Bonnie Rose rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Girls
Shelves: christian, fiction
It was a good book. My complaint is that near the end after the climatic portion, it seemd as if the author was strapped down to finish the book and really skimmed over some very important scenes. It did end on a good note as the last couple pages were up to par with the rest of the book. A good read. I also enjoyed the quotes at the beginning of every chapter and how it had an old hollywood and hairstylist theme. I probably would not read it again though.
Collette
I am definitely in summer reading mode, and this book was a fun one. Billerbeck is a Christian writer who doesn't beat you over the head with her religion. Her characters are very much a part of the current world. I think this is her best. I loved the Spa Girls series, but I don't remember much about them a month or so later. This one is more memorable. These will never be classics, but a great light read! My High School girls would love her.
Idawati Wiguno
A friend of mine lend me this one. After "The Trophy Wives Club", I think I'll just give it another chance. After all, the author IS known as best-selling author. And I admire her (come one, it's not easy to write a novel!!)
But the result is the same. Nope, didn't like it. Same feeling I got. The character, the plot, everything is too shallow.
I guess Kristin Billerbeck's is just not for me. =P
Heather
Love this book. It's a quick read and fun. The author has a talent for moving plot forward, likable characters, and good dialogue. In some ways it's mildly unrealistic, but no more so than any chick flick. I enjoy the movie references and the subtle Christian perspective, as well as the encouraging truths Sarah learns. Overall, I recommend as great Christian chick lit and will likely read again.
Erin
Not as good as other Billerbeck books I've read. I am so glad I live where inner beauty is cultivated, and I never feel that more than when I read a book where people have to have the latest hair style and color, designer clothes, and plastic skin. Eeks!

This was fun, but also contained some "mild" words, especially at the beginning, which are not considered appropriate at my house.
Lisa
Love this author... her books are fun, light hearted Christian fiction... all the chick-lit rage and they never fail to deliver.

Main character Sarah Clarie leaves Wyoming for LA to become a star hair stylist. Lots of drama from her past follows her and of course there may be love on the horizon. I found myself laughing out load as I read through the story.

I'd recommend it...
Dovie
This book was really just ok. I was tempted to give it 2 stars, actually...but think that's a touch harsh.

Biggest complaint is that it felt like too much and not enough all at the same time. Bizarre.

A quick read, though...so not totally a waste of time. I did laugh a few times out loud, and know i cracked a smile a few times on the train as I was reading it.
Katrina
The main character was super annoying for most of the book. She acted VERY strange towards the main guy in the book, with her whole "Hollywood moments" and stealing his fedora. I normally like Kristin Billerbeck (Trophy Wives Club was great!), but this book didn't do it for me.
Jessica
This was a rare find, I think. It was a cute read, and even though it was a Christian fiction book, I still liked it. Not that Christian fiction books are bad, they are just usually too cheesy romantic or too preachy for me. And this one was neither. It was very cute and worth reading!
Dara
It was ok--nothing great. The story didn't compel me that much and I didn't really feel all that connected with the characters. But I finished the book (which is more than I can say about many books I attempt to read). For me, it was fluff, but a relaxing read.
Claudia
Jul 17, 2008 Claudia rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: this one's for all romance fans -- G rated
Recommended to Claudia by: Adrienne bought it for me to read
Shelves: chick-lit
Funny, some good lines. Sarah moves from Wyoming to Hollywood, to make her mark on the beauty world. She meets some interesting characters, gets a job at a high-power salon, and meets the man of her dreams. But there is a hitch...there's always a hitch!
Darleen
Picked this up at Walmart for a good price ( under 5 bucks ) i'm zippin through it as it is pretty good so far. Haven't done much readin lately so i was surprised that i found myself WANTING to read this one and see what happen's.
Kelli
This would be something I would classify as a beach read. Its easy to read, doesn't take a lot of effort. It is definitely chik-lit, with a big emphasis on hair. It's worth looking into for a sunny day outside.
Belinda
Weak book, very very light read. Hairstylist from small town moves to big town to make it big. Followed by alcoholic mother, best friend. Falls for an alcoholic. Not real believable
Sharon
This is a very feel good read. I couldn't put it down. However with that said I must say that the ending was so predictable. I'm not sorry I choose this book to read. I loved the humor!
Peggy Parsons
2 stars, actually, but don't want to discourage any young women who want to read Christian Fiction. Shows my determination not to give up on the genre. I'm getting close though.
Lindsay
I had to force myself to get through this book. There were a few too many church-going references for my liking. The book never got very deep into any of the story lines.
Angie
I'm approximately 50 pages in to this book...I love it!!!
Excellent book!!! I was sad that I had to return it to the library...I'm hoping to pick up a copy eventually.
  • The Guy I'm Not Dating
  • Perfecting Kate
  • The Book of Jane
  • You Had Me at Good-bye (Drama Queen #2)
  • My Life as a Doormat (In Three Acts)
  • Million Dollar Dilemma
  • The Cubicle Next Door
  • Rematch (Lauren Holbrook, #2)
  • Miss Invisible
  • Lost in Rooville
  • Lost in Nashvegas
  • Everything's Coming Up Josey (Josey #1)
About Kristin
I grew up with a strong sense of justice. I simply knew the way things should be. And since I’m not smart enough to be a district attorney, I am a novelist. My childhood was slightly confusing. I blame my parents for this. Oh heck, I’m going to blame them for everything. I think I would have turned out normal if it weren’t for them.
the billerbeck's

Okay, probably not. I am a fourth-g...more
More about Kristin Billerbeck...
What a Girl Wants (Ashley Stockingdale, #1) She's Out of Control (Ashley Stockingdale, #2) With This Ring, I'm Confused (Ashley Stockingdale, #3) She's All That (Spa Girls, #1) A Billion Reasons Why