Start by marking “The Fun House” as Want to Read:
The Fun House

The Fun House

4.4 of 5 stars 4.40  ·  rating details  ·  329 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Published February 1st 1988 by Harpercollins

To ask other readers questions about The Fun House, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Fun House

Melki
We decided to have a carnival show and we decided to have it on a day when no one's parents would be anywhere except at work. Our main attraction was going to be: "Things Lighted on Fire."

Awesome! Now, THAT'S a childhood well spent!

Just about all the joys and nightmares of anyone's youth can be found in this collection of cartoons.

School pictures, paper plate art projects, square dancing in gym class, talent shows, field trips, plastic army men, moving to a new house, bad haircuts, not being in
Autumn
Wonderful for being honest about what being a kid is really like. Lots of panels I would like to tape to my desk for 'keeping it real' purposes.
Mark
Funny and sadly accurate (judging from my own life) short illustrated stories from the author's childhood.
Angela
I'm not crazy about the two sisters. Slightly surreal, so that works, but I don't find them funny or elucidating any sort of wisdom the way her other characters do. And I kept getting confused about who was who — they look exactly alike and it seemed at first that the same one was always on the same side, then she started moving them around so you'd have to go back and re-read and look for clues as to which one was which and you couldn't always tell and sometimes you needed to know. I liked the ...more
Ciara
Nov 04, 2008 Ciara rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: lynda barry fans, marlys fans, divorced kids
honestly? i don't remember shit about this. i gave it three stars because it's by lynda barry & i like her stuff. maybe this is the one where her characters move in with their aunt? no idea. if you like lynda barry & marlys, you probably won't regret reading this. sorry, i'm the wrong person to ask about graphic novels & comics, as a general rule. i am just not a visual person.
Cindy
I miss the revelation of Marlys' that I used to get picking up the Village Voice at the library in the late 80s. This brought me back with some funny and sad pieces of Marlys' world and some from Lynda's. I ran across the existence of this collection in Good Reads. Yay!
Cindywho
Sep 14, 2007 Cindywho rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: those who remember what childhood was really like
Shelves: graphic_novel
Cecilia Tavira
Entrañable historia sobre la relación entre un padre y su hija. Una exploración muy personal sobre las relaciones primarias y como estas afectan nuestras decisiones futuras.
Cassandra Carico
Lynda Barry never disappoints me. She is funny in the most "wrong" of ways.
William
Probably one of the finer comic books you'll ever read.
Simar
a lot sadder and less hopeful than Ernie Pook
Molly
Lynda Barry's books are magic!
Mialou
Mialou marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2015
Chelsey Vance
Chelsey Vance marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2015
Kelly
Kelly marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2015
drublood Duro
drublood Duro marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2015
Casseroll
Casseroll marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2015
Will M
Will M marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2015
Natfoxxfiends
Natfoxxfiends marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2015
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2015
Star Glover
Star Glover marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2015
Matty
Matty marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2015
Tarn Wilson
Tarn Wilson marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2014
Alex Weiss
Alex Weiss marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2014
Danielle
Danielle marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2014
  • 365 Days
  • Spawn of Dykes to Watch Out For (DtWOF, #5)
  • Aya: Love in Yop City (Aya #4-6)
  • Yeah, I Said It
  • Grandville Bête Noire (Grandville #3)
  • Simon's Cat: Feed Me!
  • No Other Story (Whole Nother Story, #3)
  • My Dirty Dumb Eyes
  • Girl Stories
  • Over Easy
  • How Loathsome
  • The Best American Comics 2013
  • Bandette, Volume 1: Presto!
  • Unlovable
  • Hemingway's Chair
  • The Best American Comics 2009
  • Stuck in the Middle: 17 Comics from an Unpleasant Age
  • Allegra Maud Goldman
Lynda Barry is an American cartoonist and author, perhaps best known for her weekly comic strip Ernie Pook's Comeek.
More about Lynda Barry...
One Hundred Demons Cruddy What It Is The Greatest of Marlys The Best American Comics 2008