Start by marking “The Fun House” as Want to Read:
The Fun House

The Fun House

4.39 of 5 stars 4.39  ·  rating details  ·  346 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Published February 1st 1988 by Harpercollins

To ask other readers questions about The Fun House, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Fun House

We decided to have a carnival show and we decided to have it on a day when no one's parents would be anywhere except at work. Our main attraction was going to be: "Things Lighted on Fire."

Awesome! Now, THAT'S a childhood well spent!

Just about all the joys and nightmares of anyone's youth can be found in this collection of cartoons.

School pictures, paper plate art projects, square dancing in gym class, talent shows, field trips, plastic army men, moving to a new house, bad haircuts, not being in
Wonderful for being honest about what being a kid is really like. Lots of panels I would like to tape to my desk for 'keeping it real' purposes.
Funny and sadly accurate (judging from my own life) short illustrated stories from the author's childhood.
Diane Fraser
This book is a prized book on my bookshelf, as are all the Lynda Barry books.
I'm not crazy about the two sisters. Slightly surreal, so that works, but I don't find them funny or elucidating any sort of wisdom the way her other characters do. And I kept getting confused about who was who — they look exactly alike and it seemed at first that the same one was always on the same side, then she started moving them around so you'd have to go back and re-read and look for clues as to which one was which and you couldn't always tell and sometimes you needed to know. I liked the ...more
Aug 29, 2015 Karen marked it as to-read
This is real life.
Nov 04, 2008 Ciara rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: lynda barry fans, marlys fans, divorced kids
honestly? i don't remember shit about this. i gave it three stars because it's by lynda barry & i like her stuff. maybe this is the one where her characters move in with their aunt? no idea. if you like lynda barry & marlys, you probably won't regret reading this. sorry, i'm the wrong person to ask about graphic novels & comics, as a general rule. i am just not a visual person.
Sep 14, 2007 Cindywho rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: those who remember what childhood was really like
Shelves: graphic_novel
I miss the revelation of Marlys' that I used to get picking up the Village Voice at the library in the late 80s. This brought me back with some funny and sad pieces of Marlys' world and some from Lynda's. I ran across the existence of this collection in Good Reads. Yay!
Cecilia Tavira
Entrañable historia sobre la relación entre un padre y su hija. Una exploración muy personal sobre las relaciones primarias y como estas afectan nuestras decisiones futuras.
Cassandra Carico
Lynda Barry never disappoints me. She is funny in the most "wrong" of ways.
Probably one of the finer comic books you'll ever read.
a lot sadder and less hopeful than Ernie Pook
Lynda Barry's books are magic!
Elaine Frew
Elaine Frew marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2015
Jen Farr
Jen Farr marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2015
Aellon marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2015
Tanya Bigos
Tanya Bigos marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2015
Layan Jawdat
Layan Jawdat marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2015
Chica15 marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2015
Judith marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2015
Sophia Christos
Sophia Christos marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2015
Chloe Chambers
Chloe Chambers marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2015
S marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2015
Chloe A-L
Chloe A-L marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2015
  • 365 Days
  • New, Improved! Dykes to Watch Out For (DtWOF, #3)
  • Jokes and the Unconscious: A Graphic Novel
  • Yeah, I Said It
  • Little Lit: Strange Stories for Strange Kids
  • Aya: Love in Yop City (Aya #4-6)
  • Girl Stories
  • My Dirty Dumb Eyes
  • No Other Story (Whole Nother Story, #3)
  • Unlovable
  • Over Easy
  • Simon's Cat: Feed Me!
  • The Best American Comics 2013
  • A Girl Like I
  • How Loathsome
  • The Best American Comics 2009
  • Special Exits
  • Grandville Bête Noire (Grandville #3)
Lynda Barry is an American cartoonist and author, perhaps best known for her weekly comic strip Ernie Pook's Comeek.
More about Lynda Barry...
One Hundred Demons What It Is Cruddy The Greatest of Marlys The Best American Comics 2008