Start by marking “No Woman No Cry: My Life With Bob Marley” as Want to Read:
No Woman No Cry: My Life With Bob Marley

No Woman No Cry: My Life With Bob Marley

3.98  ·  Rating Details  ·  848 Ratings  ·  85 Reviews
A memoir by the woman who knew Bob Marley best--his wife, Rita.

Rita Marley grew up in the slums of Trench Town, Jamaica. Abandoned by her mother at a very young age, she was raised by her aunt. Music ran in Rita's family, and even as a child her talent for singing was pronounced. By the age of 18, Rita was an unwed mother, and it was then that she met Bob Marley at a recor
Published May 5th 2004 by Hachette Books (first published April 2nd 2004)

DARCINA
Sep 09, 2012 DARCINA rated it it was amazing
I truly love this book....I love Bob and Rita Marley equally...The love that this woman had for this Man and the connection that they had throughout their careers and relationship is amazing...Sometimes i questioned how did she do it? The older i get I realized she did it with Love....Great Book...
Kp
Jun 05, 2011 Kp rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
It was interesting to read about Rita and Bob Marley's early life in Jamaica, and I enjoyed reading this book. Overall I didn't think it was very well written, and that was especially true in the last half, after Bob died. I think the book needed a lot more editing and flushing out. She talked a lot about Bob's beliefs and the Rastafarian religion, but she never really said what they were. Sorry, but I don't really know that much about Bob Marley, so I was a little interested in that. There were ...more
Nakia
This book was very eye opening regarding the choices in love that Bob Marley made throughout his life. Rita meets Bob as a teenaged mother working on her nursing career who also likes to sing. They fall in love after spending countless hours in the studio before Bob becomes a success. Living together in Trench Town, in a small shack, with little to eat, the couple struggle to spread Bob's music while creating a family together. Rita makes do, while Bob sings. And then babies enter the picture, a ...more
Aaminah Shakur
Sep 05, 2010 Aaminah Shakur rated it it was amazing
one of the most powerful books i've ever read. i am, of course, a huge Bob Marley fan, but i think Rita did an excellent job of providing a balanced realistic portrayal of him. she also writes very candidly about her struggles, essentially raising their children alone while he worked and was pulled in directions he didn't mean to go. also Rita writes of struggling with his relationships with hangers-on, including other women, and raising children from those relationships. a musician, singer and ...more
Alicia
Sep 05, 2007 Alicia rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Life can be tough, but persevrance and loved ones make it worthwhile
Jessica
Dec 27, 2012 Jessica rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
My Curled Up Review: Rita Marley’s new book about her life married to and collaborating with reggae musician Bob Marley is the poster book for the great old cliché “behind every successful man is a woman.” Of course, in Ms. Marley’s case, she is not just the woman behind his success but also the woman willing to have and raise his children, promote his career, and look the other way when Bob was blatantly engaging in extra-marital affairs.

Rita’s story begins when she is just a child being raised
Michael Martin
Dec 05, 2013 Michael Martin rated it really liked it
This book was very appealing to me, particuraly because it has so much to do with my culture. Reggae happens to be my favorite genre of music, so this book was a "goodread" for me. This book was very touching and emotional at parts because it talked abou how Bob Marley used to sleep on the ground of a studio at night and how his wife, Rita Marley, washed his one pair of underwear for him to wear day in and day out. No one had expected Bob to become known all over the world. He broke their expect ...more
Evan
Mar 09, 2010 Evan rated it it was amazing
this book really shows that you can leave the slums and make it as a hugely world know artist. it is a really inspiring book. this book was writen by bob marleys wife and it really shows her life with bob marley. its nice to read a story from another person in his familys perspective. he had many affairs withother women that he did not hide from her and she still stuck with him. i think that shows the love between them was very strong. growing up in trenchtown jamaica, the town with drugs, gangs ...more
Zanele
Sep 03, 2012 Zanele rated it it was ok
Picking up this particular book, I really wanted to experience Bob Marley the legend...big mistake! All I got was Bob Marley the ordinary man. The fact that he beat his wife just descended him from the pedestal that I put him on. I guess he was human like the rest of us after all. The rest of the book was enjoyable..reading about humble beginnings that resonate with my township upbringing made the story even more real. I have a new found respect for Rita because of all she endured and this someh ...more
Kim
Nov 14, 2008 Kim rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Bob Marley fans
To fulfil my recent Bob Marley obsession, I decided to read the only book I knew I could trust. I am so amazed that through all of Marley's infedilities and womanizing ways, his loyal wife, Rita, stuck by his side, along with their five children. She even took part in raising the children (which include Damian) he had out of wedlock with other women. It was terrible the way he developed melenoma. Just a little advice: if you injure your big toe, PLEASE get it looked at.

This was a great and insig
Madison
Oct 21, 2009 Madison rated it it was amazing
A beautifu, heartbreaking story of Bob Marley's inspiration, his rock, his wife, Rita Marley. Her story is profoundly inspirational, and while it paints Bob in a light that is less than heroic, it is Rita's faithfulness that is the heart of this story. She held her family together against what seems like impossible odds, and her strength amidst heartbreak is what makes this book one of the best books I've ever read.
Ninette
Jan 30, 2013 Ninette rated it really liked it
I picked the book up with expectations of purely reading about Bobs fame. I am really really happy that the book was not all about the rise but also the falls (of which there were many) it gave me deeper insight into the Marleys life in the years which I personally think mattered the most, the years that helped shape the legend that is Bob Marley but also his equally hardworking lady Rita Marley, a great read!
Mishelle
Bob Marley was a musical genius. I'm shocked to discover that they had many physical fights in their marriage and that he didn't bother to hide his numerous affairs from Rita or the children from those relationships. She's one strong woman!
Rae
Mar 24, 2012 Rae rated it it was amazing
I loved this book for some reason. Im not a die-hard Bob Marley fan but I still found it super interesting. I definitely felt for Rita the entire book. Bob Marley was a god father, but a horrible husband. But I felt for him too.
David Dacosta
Feb 28, 2014 David Dacosta rated it liked it
Rating: 3.5 stars

Some men know how to pick them. For Reggae icon and notorious philanderer, Bob Marley, his wife Rita was just the right type of woman to carry the load and rarely ever raise a stink. No Woman No Cry is as much about Rita and Bob’s rollercoaster marriage, as it is the telling of the rise and untimely passing of Jamaica’s first and only global superstar. For much of her marriage to Marley, Rita went well beyond the call of duty, enduring extended periods of neglect and heartbrea
Anika
Sep 04, 2008 Anika rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: People who want to learn about Bob Marley
Awesome book. Even though it was the autobiography of Rita Marley I really feel like it was also a Bob Marley Biography. I also read 'Catch a Fire' and this was much better.
Hubjeanne
Jul 27, 2010 Hubjeanne rated it it was amazing
GREAT story about a very real intelligent human caring kind man, Bob Marley. I would be honored to meet his wife, Rita. What an awesome woman!!!
Briánna
Sep 04, 2011 Briánna rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone
Recommended to Briánna by: husband
Great book for Bob Marley fans. You see him in a different light, from Ritas point of view.
Dawn Secrease
Aug 18, 2007 Dawn Secrease rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: EVERYONE!!
Shelves:
What I learned most from this book was how strong of a woman Rita Marley is,I love this book.
Kemal
Sep 04, 2009 Kemal rated it it was amazing
Really nice read. Gives Bob a human face and makes you better understand his music.
Stephanie
Jul 03, 2011 Stephanie rated it really liked it
This books shows that behind every strong man there is an even strong woman!
TruEssence
Dec 13, 2008 TruEssence rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of Bob Marley/ Fans fo Roots Reggae
Excellent autobiography! Full of triumphs and courage!
Ebonique Jones
May 10, 2015 Ebonique Jones rated it liked it
Rita seems deliberate and determined to highlight her contribution to Bob's legacy. I'm sure she played a role. Careful not to jade her image in anyway....although, anyone who is able to read between the lines will see that she put her love for Bob(or Robby as she calls him) over her own children. lastly, it's odd that she doesn't really mention Bob's other children by name as if unimportant...she's been accused of treating his other children as less than worthy. it was a good story tho (shrugs)
Roger DeBlanck
Aug 10, 2015 Roger DeBlanck rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Rita Marley offers up an honest and revealing memoir about her relationship with the iconic Bob Marley. She was only nineteen and he twenty-one when they married in 1966. From that time onward, Rita remained his wife until Bob’s passing in 1981. Early on in their relationship, Rita explains how she cared for Bod in a “sisterly” way. He reciprocated her care by showing concern for her daughter from another father. Their romance commenced primarily due to each of them fueling off the other’s love ...more
Urs
Jun 03, 2010 Urs rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
I bought this book in hopes of learning more about Bob Marley, and I did learned a lot about Bob and Rita Marley in this book. Neverthess, I felt like Rita was just saying words. I felt like the story was told with no real sense of emotion about what was happening.

For instance, at one point in the book, Rita tells the story of when Bob found Neville Garrick in her room. Bob lifted her up in the air, and then he dropped her. All she had to say about this was things like "Neville was so frightene
Debbie
Apr 09, 2013 Debbie rated it liked it
I found it interesting that Bob Marley was a rock star just like any other. He ran around with groupies, spawned numerous illegitimate children, did drugs and collected an expanding entourage of hanger-ons as his fame grew. This was a revelation to me as I always thought of Bob Marley as a spiritual leader as well as a musician. I suppose no one, not even a faithful rasta, is immune to the corruptions brought by world-wide fame.

This is a solid 3.5 star book. I very much enjoyed reading it. I fou
Brandon Bott
Aug 17, 2014 Brandon Bott rated it liked it
It was an interesting experience reading about a legend's early days. Learning about the Jamaican life style including the Rastafarian religion was an eye-opener.

Although in my opinion, the book was poorly written. Reasons being that Rita Marley, the author focused more on drama and the trouble she encountered throughout her life time when Bob was around.

I recommend the book to whoever is interested in the old Jamaican life style or Bob Marley's road to success through his music.
Yasmill
Dec 11, 2014 Yasmill rated it it was amazing
AMAZING! If your into music searching and is a fan of BOB MARLEY you'll learn a lot about his wife and her child hood about Bob and the wailers. You'll will mostly learn where he gets some of his songs from.This book is split into many chapters and from these chapters if you look for some clues you'll find where it fits into his songs and where some of his inspiration came from.this is a book I highly recommend .im a fan and I can't help it... Please try this book.
Mary Jo Malo
Aug 08, 2015 Mary Jo Malo rated it it was amazing
What a wonderful memoir of Rita Marley's life as wife of Bob Marley and mother to her children, their children, and his other children! Told as a wise and painful journey of authenticity, through her missteps and his, who emerges is a remarkable woman made stronger through evolving love and compassion for so many. Rita Marley was his rock during his rise to fame, the humble and shameless caretaker of her own needs, and the queen of his legacy.
Leah Mclarty
Feb 21, 2015 Leah Mclarty rated it it was amazing
this was one of those books i did not want to end. i am so grateful that rita marley wrote this book. it was a pleasure to read and learn about her and bob marley. a great storyteller, she has a refreshing and grounded voice. i love her strength and spirit. one of my favorite parts were her anecdotes and quotes of bob, to get to know him through her on a personal level was really cool. what can i say, im a sucker for a good love story.
  • Bob Marley: My Son
  • Stripped: The True Story of Depeche Mode
  • Searching for the Sound: My Life with the Grateful Dead
  • Against All Hope: A Memoir of Life in Castro's Gulag
  • Hapa Girl: A Memoir
  • Fourth Uncle in the Mountain: The Remarkable Legacy of a Buddhist Itinerant Doctor in Vietnam
  • Willie Nelson: An Epic Life
  • Feather in the Storm: A Childhood Lost in Chaos
Alpharita Constantia Anderson, better known as Rita Marley is the widow of legendary Reggae musician Bob Marley, and a member of the trio the I Threes, Bob Marley's back up singers.
More about Rita Marley...