Blank-133x176
The Long Lavender Look...

John D. MacDonald

The Long Lavender Look: Featuring the Famous Travis McGee No. 12 (Travis McGee #12)

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  2,036 ratings  ·  45 reviews
While driving along a darkened stretch of Florida road, Travis McGee and friend Meyer encounter a young girl wearing little more than a frightened look as she leaps out from the shadows directly in line with their headlights. A skillful swerve saves the girl but finds McGee and friend upside down in ten feet of swamp water. Not two minutes later they are dodging bullets fi...more
Paperback, Fawcett Gold Medal, 256 pages
Published 1970 by Fawcett

To ask other readers questions about The Long Lavender Look, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Long Lavender Look

Kemper
In one of the Travis McGee books, he and his best buddy Meyer are out fishing when someone dumps a woman off a bridge in front of them, and this gets them mixed up with a bunch of criminals. In this one, a woman runs across the road which causes them to wreck and gets them involved in more murderous mayhem. These guys are like magnets for women randomly appearing and causing shit storms.

McGee and Meyer are driving home on a Florida back country road late at night after attending a wedding. Sudde...more
Gerald
Time was, I was a big fan of John D. MacDonald (he was still alive then). I believe I read all of the Travis McGee books, of which this is one. I also read Condominium, one of his attempts at literary fiction, and predictably it was a disappointment. The power of the McGee books is in the genre and in the attitude. Dirty dealings and benign cynicism.

Trav is a very 'Sixties hero, with parallels to James Bond. Like Bond, McGee is a garbage-collector of the vile detritus left behind by the world's...more
Mark
This one, #12, is the latest in my publication-order read of John D. MacDonald's Travis McGee series, which I somehow missed out on for the first 40 or so years of my life.

The series, with Trav as the philosophical bare-knuckle hero, is set up according to the normal tropes of the PI genre, except instead of being a PI McGee is a "salvage expert"--operating without a license, he helps people "recover lost property" and, if he's successful, takes 50% of the profit. I felt that the first in the se...more
Tony
THE LONG LAVENDER LOOK. (1970). John D. MacDonald. ***.
When you get to read (or reread) the earlier Travis McGee novels, you quickly recognize that MacDonald hit his best stride early on. The plots are more solid and the dialog is more realistic than you will find in the later adventures. He never does learn to handle women if they have any love interest in McGee. Both the women and McGee use endearments straight from Victorian England. All that aside, this is still a good thriller that is fast-...more
Andrea
I fell into this tale immediately! It opens with Travis and Meyer getting stranded on the Tamiami Trail (US-41), one of the two main highways that go through the Everglades. It reminded me a lot of the night after my first wedding. I was moving from Spring Hill on the west coast of FL to Ft Lauderdale on the east coast. Eric was driving my '72 Nova through Alligator Alley (I-75, the other way through the Everglades) when, overloaded with my possessions and pushed into the red, it overheated and...more
DR
In the smallest hours of the morning on a dark swamp-country road, the beloved “Miss Agnes” blows out a tire and careens into a canal with McGee and Meyer on board. Lucky to escape the submerged Rolls Royce pickup truck, the jubilant but soaking-wet pair is inexplicably shot at from a passing vehicle by an unseen stranger. Then, the hard-ass local sheriff promptly locks up our two heroes as suspects for a hideous torture-murder. The ensuing mystery, especially as the corpses begin to pile up, is...more
Richard Bradley
Apr 27, 2010 Richard Bradley rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone.
Recommended to Richard Bradley by: Personal experience.
Travis McGee!!! Automatic 5 stars!!!

That's what I said when I started reading it. Sure enough, now that I'm done with it: genuine 5-star John D. MacDonald's Travis McGee in 1970.

*maybe a very useful talent was fading, my ability to sense what people were after-what made them struggle and what made them give up
*it looked as if all the far cities of the world were burning
*trashy folk, running in a pack with the other trash
*cruelty itself is a philosophical abstraction

I'm not going to tell you what...more
Jenna
I'm considering myself lucky to be among the many readers savoring the "Travis McGee" adventures, and can't wait to read another exploit of his....... a salvage consultant philosopher McGee was just full of toughness, skill, and sensible character that'll keep you on the edge.

McGee was heading home with his best friend an Economist Meyer after attending a friend's wedding in Cypress County with "Miss Agness" ( an ancient rolls-royce car converted into a pick up)suddenly a young woman run into Mi...more
Chuck
Apr 12, 2013 Chuck rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Chuck by: Phil Henry
I have enjoyed the John D. MacDonald mysteries that I have read to this point. This one, however, had a different setting and some very perverse people. I particularly enjoyed his bisecting his characters emotions and defining their motives, strengths and weaknesses. It's like he wanted to major in psychology, but decided that drinking and dating was easier. This story was a little too complicated and convuluted for me. It had twists and turns that seemed never to end. I enjoyed the book which w...more
JSA Lowe
Ah, Trav. I like you more and more the more and more depressed and disillusioned you become. Also, women who want to go have a drink with you should reconsider, because in sixty pages they're going to wind up trussed up somewhere like a Christmas goose only naked and extremely dead. WOMEN, DO NOT DATE TRAVIS MCGEE, anyway not casually. (If you're invited to the Busted Flush for a three-month in Grand Cayman you're going to be fine, but apparently you gain a lot of weight and may get skin cancer...more
Stven
Several lifetimes ago I read all the Travis McGee books and every other novel I could get my hands on by John D. MacDonald. The series was successful in a way that grew and grew, so that when the last Travis McGee novel came out, it went immediately to the best-sellers list. Then MacDonald died, and everybody knew we'd read the last of McGee, and the fervor seemed to waft away.

But here we are in another century, and a nice new edition enticed me into reading this one again, reading it a lot like...more
Larry Hostetler
Starting through the Travis McGee series again. Don't remember this book, and enjoyed reading it. Somewhat unique in my memory of the series, it is set in inland Florida and is more about Travis getting out of a jam than his recovery work. While Meyer plays a role, it is enough different from teh formula to be interesting in its solution.

As always, a good read, and quick. Not quite quick enough to be read on a round trip flight between Sacramento and Seattle, but quick enough it didn't make it o...more
Zachary Smith
May 26, 2008 Zachary Smith rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mystery fans
Definitely a sexy murder-mystery - some brilliant social commentary, too.

It took me a little while to get used to MacDonald's choppy, verbless way of telling a story.
Honestly though, the bizarre narrative language became sort of a selling point for returning to the series: I guess an original way to write makes for an original way to read.

The plot scheme was an irregular one, but one I've encountered before. Sometimes the book was running VERY slow ... and others it was through the roof exciting...more
Harv Griffin
pic of my copy of THE LONG LAVENDER LOOK

This puppy is my favorite Travis McGee novel; and it’s a good reminder to you that the Bad Guys out to kill you can belong to any profession and/or any sex.

THE LONG LAVENDER LOOK is also a good reminder to me that connections, powerful friends in high places, are part of the equation that allows McGee to survive; and may be necessary for me to prosper as a writer.

In my opinion, John D. was at the absolute top of his game when he wrote this. ©1970. I think he peaked with this one. That’s just me....more
Don
I think I had read a few of the Travis McGee series way back when, but I have no recollection of them. I bought a couple recently to see why there was such a following and why genre writers see MacDonald as such a role model.

This one was written in 1970 and is about the 12th in the series. This was written at the height of the "sixties" era, but with the exception of a handful of casual references to the length of the hair of one or two peripheral young male characters, the story and descriptio...more
Aaron Martz
This is one of the more brutal and violent of the McGee adventures. This time around, he and Meyer are suspected of murder in a small hick town ruled with an iron fist by your typical colorful southern sheriff, and the resulting mystery involves crooked cops, a prostitution ring, $900,000 in stolen money, and a pretty high body count. A body count so high in fact that the revelation of the bad guy is superfluous because he is the only one left standing. Despite the letdown of the ending, the res...more
Jim
McGee and Meyer are stuck in a rural Florida county. The body count is high, with the plot revolving around a deputy running a hooker operation out of the sheriff's office and a $900,000 heist. Of course, McGee figures it all out with an exciting knife fight thrown in.

MacDonald tends to write his ass off for the first 20 pages, but then reverts to a more regular style.

"... that bone crunching, flesh smashing thud which, once heard, lingers forever in the part of the mind where echoes live."

The...more
Nancy Moore
I've read all of this series and loved every one. I read them in order - I always read a series in order, in fact, I'm compulsive about it - because I like to follow the character's life and the author's writing as they both grow. Mr. MacDonald never disappointed - each one is a great thrill ride and they got better each time. Read my review on "The Deep Blue Good-by" to meet Travis, and get ready for some great reading!
Jeffrey
Number 12 in the series. Good stuff. Southern hospitality - and McGee in jail. Great start to a book. McGee has good friends and he makes it out of this one with some help. But Meyer takes a beating.

Some great characters, including Mrs. Arnstead. Well described, and classic folks. The usual twists and turns and lovely ladies.

Good beach reading

David Ward
The Long Lavendar Look(Travis McGee #12) by John D. MacDonald Fawcett 1970)(Fiction-Mystery)- these are wonderfully written mysteries, light as a feather, disposable as a tissue, and a s dated as a rotary telephone. They are all great fun! My rating: 7/10, finished 1990.
Cheryl Jane
Every now and then I love to go back read a Travis McGee adventure...
D-day
Another solid addition to the Travis McGee series, The Long Lavender Look is number twelve in the series. This time McGee is framed for a murder and has to try and clear his name. No-one does backwoods, red neck menace like John D. MacDonald.
Tabitha
This is one of the better of the series. The reader gets to take a look at the wild side and see a classic case of wrong-place, wrong-time. In the end, Travis learns the truth and in turn the reader learns a bit more about Travis.
Jenn Farris
I've enjoyed all of the Travis McGee books and this one is no exception. These books are excellent brain candy - well-written, lots of fast reading action, but not overly complicated.
David Horney
i'm a big mcgee fan, but this one just seemed kinda phoned in. there were so many coincidences that conveniently carried the plot forward, mcgee himself makes note of it.
Kenny
McGee is in trouble with the law in a small Florida county in the swamps. The more he learns, the more tangled plot gets. Fine characterization. Fast-moving plot. A must-read.
Alleycatfan
It started off great. Toward the end it began to meander and it a little more philospophical than I was prepared for. I really like he's succint characterizations.
Kel
At first, I thought this was like other J.D.M. books I've read. However, there were some interesting plot twists and McGee is interestingly introspective.
JoAnna Spring
My fav Travis McGee so far. Has it all - intresting charcters, a good mystery, great action, sexy intrigue and timeless musings on modern life.
Kathleen
This is classic John D. McDonald at his best. Travis is a complex person who is always pushed to make difficult decisions.
  • Even the Wicked (Matthew Scudder #13)
  • Pale Kings And Princes (Spenser, #14)
  • The Big Sleep; Farewell, My Lovely; The High Window
  • Find a Victim
  • Slayground (Parker, #14)
John D MacDonald was born in Sharon, Pa, and educated at the Universities of Pennsylvania, Syracuse and Harvard, where he took an MBA in 1939. During WW2, he rose to the rank of Colonel, and while serving in the Army and in the Far East, sent a short story to his wife for sale, successfully. After the war, he decided to try writing for a year, to see if he could make a living. Over 500 short stori...more
More about John D. MacDonald...
Cape Fear The Deep Blue Good-By (Travis McGee #1) A Deadly Shade of Gold (Travis McGee #5) Free Fall in Crimson (Travis McGee #19) Nightmare in Pink (Travis McGee, #2)