Start by marking “Desperation” as Want to Read:

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  83,688 ratings  ·  1,338 reviews
Something is terribly wrong in Desperation, Nevada -- a small mining town just off Route 50 with a played out open pit copper mine. The streets are wind swept and deserted; animals have the run of the town and something horrific is brewing in the now abandoned mine pit. You won't have a good day in Desperation.

En route to Lake Tahoe for a much anticipated vacation, the Car
Audio CD, 22 pages
Published 1997 by Recorded Books (first published 1996)

Dirk Grobbelaar
Why, what a splendid book. Gosh! Tak.

”I see holes like eyes.”

Desperation is one of the downright scariest books I’ve read, and the scares come early. King manages, for the most part, to keep the tension up throughout the novel, which makes it one hell of an uneasy read. Some sequences are somewhat bizarre, and others are bluntly offensive, although this is only what you’d expect from a novel such as this: it’s not meant to be easy reading after all.

Something about this bothered [him], but for n
Nicholas Armstrong
I'm an indecisive rater and my rating on this will probably fluctuate with mood and memory but regardless of that this is a great read.

What I always found insulting was how easily critics, snobs, and pretentious twits write-off Stephen King because he writes stories about realistic people in fantastic situations. So what? Seriously, he writes amazingly so why give a damn what he writes about? Desperation is a perfect example of horror and fantastic writing and anyone who doesn't think so can go
Mari Biella
Say what you will about Stephen King, but you’ve got to hand it to our man in Maine: sitting down with one of his novels is never a struggle. Having read a number of his books, I’ve gradually come to think of him as being a bit like an old friend: a charming, chatty old friend who, for the price of a paperback, will happily sit down with you and tell you one of his numerous stories, stories whose occasional nastiness seems quite at odds with their mild-mannered narrator. On this level, Desperati ...more
Lane Wilkinson
So, I dropped the pretention and read a Stephen King novel. True, I read several of King's middle school...but I thought that it was time to give him another chance. After all, King's popularity is eclipsed only by, oh, I don't know...Jesus? Well, not Jesus...but someone popular.

I'll admit, the story was engaging. King has a way with propelling his story-lines over hundreds of pages without taking a breath. Or so it would seem. Unfortunately, the mediocrity of his prose is, at best, d
Mauoijenn ~ *Mouthy Jenn* ~
I closed the book with a wicked smile across my face.
First, the boy character made this book.
Second, the way this story makes you feel like you're right there. Third, how can you not love a 600+ page King novel. The bigger the better in my opinion. One of his best for sure.
Edward Lorn
The first time I read Desperation, I read it back to back with The Regulators in the fall 1996. Had I been reviewing in my teenage years, I probably would have given this two stars, and The Regulators four stars. The latter is a fun book from beginning to end, while Desperation takes off like a crackhead escaping police custody only to run out of steam about halfway to the sanctuary of his crack den. Sad Panda.

This read was a little bit better than the first because I was expecting the slow-as-
Jess ❈Harbinger of Blood-Soaked Rainbows❈

Oi, this book is a doozy! I read it months ago but only just finished its companion novel so I think I'm finally ready to organize my thoughts and write a review of this thing. I know I rated it three stars but that's really only in comparison to King's other work. Because compared with other writers, this book is far better, but compared to a lot of his other novels, it is just on the lower end of the Stephen King spectrum for me. Which really is too bad be
This is probably the 4th or 5th time that I've read this book. I have always liked this story, although not as much as it's other half, The Regulators, but I have to say that this time, unfortunately, Desperation lost a little something for me. I actually downgraded it from a 4 star to a 3 star rating (OK, 3 1/2 maybe).

Maybe this is due to the fact that I'm on something of a King kick, and I've been reading a lot of his stuff within the past few months. I think, because of this, some of his les
Overall I enjoyed Desperation and I'm still planning on reading The Regulators. Religion was more of a theme with this book than the somewhat subtle undertones King usually uses but it didn't detract much for me. I'm not religious either, its just something I can accept if its used seriously as part of the story. It felt like King relied on it more sometimes than he could have though. It comes full circle through the characters and while King managed to create characters with human flaws, desire ...more
Ruth Turner

Audiobook - Narrated by Stephen King - Surprisingly good narration.

I say surprisingly good, because years ago I listened to something Stephen King read (can't remember what) and found his voice to be flat and emotionless. So I was severely disappointed when I downloaded this book and found it was narrated by the author. But, eventually, I decided to give it a try, and I have to say that I was surprised. He did an excellent job. It was like having him in my living room, an old friend come to vis
Todd Western-Normanton
Absolutely brilliant! I am usually a slow reader and expect to take a while to digest a book of great size (as this book is over 700 pages long), this book took me less than a week to read! The book was gripping at every sentence. The characters were formed to high standard and the chills and elements of horror and survival were peaked beyond enjoyment! This has got to be my favorite Stephen King book so far! Its one hell of a read (pun intended).
Just can't get into this one, nothing really compelling me to keep reading. Into the abandoned book pile it goes.
Jeremy Bates
One thing I find fascinating is how many critics write off Stephen King as a hack because he writes horror novels. Unlike literary authors, who write about extraordinary people in regular situations, King writes about regular people in extraordinary situations, and that’s just fine with me.

Desperation is reminiscent of King’s magnum opus The Stand, and King revisits many familiar themes such as good versus evil, salvation, redemption, faith, so forth. There’s also a lot of blood and gore, which
Jason P
Close your eyes.
Picture yourself driving down Highway 50. Windows are down and the wind is blowing your hair back like you're in front of a high powered fan. Tunes are blaring out of the front speakers, and everything is going perfect. You and your mate are having the time of your lives.
That's when you see the blue/red lights flash behind you, and a quick 'whoop whoop' flagging you down for you to pull over.

A strange man that looks like an officer of the law slowly makes his way to the side you
Samuel Richards-hastings

The first half, maybe even two thirds and I was all HEY THIS MIGHT BE MY FAVORITE KING NOVEL. A creepy rural Nevada cop starts kidnapping innocent travelers!? Like all post-AA King, they're all thinly veiled representations of parts of his personality/personal history!? THE COP IS POSSESSED BY AN ANCIENT EARTH-GOD WITH POWER OVER THE LOWER BEASTS OF THE DESERT?@?!!? DUDE!

There's a movie adaptation where RON PERLMAN PLAYS THE COP!? DOUBLE DUD
I closed the book and said "wow". And then I cried. I was rather surprised at King's handling of God and religion. Usually, those kinds of characters turn out to be dangerous. This one, though, made faith seem sweet and not kitschy. I loved the way the story tied up in a neat little package. As always, I loved the camaraderie between the strangers thrown together in a terrifying situation. Their strengths and their weaknesses. I love the attraction between the older guy and the younger girl that ...more
Dec 12, 2007 Mary rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Stephen King fans, horror fans, people who dig religious-themed stories
Shelves: horror, thriller
It's pretty much guaranteed that if Stephen King wrote it, I'll like it. I can't honestly say that this is one of his best books. It's certainly very menacing, and extremely tense, but it was also kind of predictable and the ending seemed a bit too easy. A lot of King endings are vaguely unsatisfying, though, and I blame that primarily on the fact that he builds up the story so much that there's really no way to end it on a satisfying note.

Still, something about Desperation got to me. It played
Franco  Santos
No me gustó.

Partía de una gran idea que me prometía una historia más madura y desarrollada que su par cuasihomólogo Posesión, sin embargo me encontré con algo, si bien más sazonado, supinamente denso. Hubo partes en las que el sopor provocado por esta lectura superaba cualquier resistencia que podía contraponer (disculpen el pleonasmo). Me resultó muy difícil terminar esta novela.

Algo positivo que tengo que mencionar es que tiene muy buenos personajes; también el final: fue una gran conclusión
Desesperación es un infierno constante. Creo que divido el libro en dos partes. La primera es muy violenta, e imposible de dejar de leer. Luego empiezan las "revelaciónes", en lo que llamaría segunda parte, y todo queda a criterio del lector.

No imaginaba que King, en un libro así, cerraria con un tinte religioso, pero al final todo toma cierto sentido aunque algunas cosas no queden claras.

Me gustó? Si. Fue una genialidad? No. Es un buen libro de King? Puede ser
If I were rating this book on story alone, I would probably only give it 2 stars, but because the style in which it's written means as much, if not more, to me as story, I'm saying 3 stars. As disturbing, sad, and at times disgusting as this book was, I wanted to know how it ended, who lived, who died, and WHY. Most of all, why?, but I was left a little disapointed on that score.

The story opens with a crazy cop on the rampage. He lives in the small desert town of Desperation, and scans the road
Ellen Hopkins
Closer to his early work, which I liked.
Bark's Book Nonsense
Cleaning out some old gems of mine. I tried reading this one many years ago and remember giving up midway. I have it on audio from the library and hope to get through it this time but I don't know . . . the thing is 18 discs long!

Later: Well, I managed to get through all 18 discs but I think I'm a glutton for punishment. If I had been reading this the traditional way I would've given up early on. Some of the characters were okay but mostly they seemed all too familiar. There was the religious bo
Campbell Mcaulay
A disparate collection of travellers are abducted by an insane cop and incarcerated in the jail of a small Nevada mining town in the middle of nowhere. It quickly becomes clear that the cop isn't just insane - he's posessed - and an ancient tunnel recently uncovered at the mine may hold the clue...

King's novels are rather variable in quality. I suspect that most careful and discerrning readers, even King's Constant Readers, will acknowledge that as true. I'll qualify the statement and state that
An enjoyable read on my second time through. It's still not one of my favorite King books, but it is still good. It would probably rate higher if King didn't set the bar so high, as this one falls in the average pile of his body of work.

Lots of fun though, looking for links to the Dark Tower series and to The Regulators....
Nick Iuppa

In an interview a year or so ago, Stephen King said that he CHOSE to believe in God... wasn’t compelled to by some divine revelation, he just chose to. Why is that important here? Because Desperation is all about God and religion. And it is not just any God, this is a Christian God right out of Sunday School. Little David, one of the major players in these adventures, performs a version of the miracle of the loaves and fishes (the miracle of the sardines and crackers). Before entering
Nov 28, 2014 MiLi rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Amantes del terror
Shelves: terror, ficcion
Para mí, Stephen King es sinónimo de genialidad. Cada uno de sus libros tiene un estilo propio acorde a la historia que se cuenta, y al mismo tiempo cada historia muestra la realidad de un mundo propio, con normas y personajes creados para alimentar la fantasía de un lugar único. Desperation es, ni más ni menos, un ejemplo de estos mundos concebidos por King, una realidad que se aleja de todo lo que conocemos.

La novela empieza con una pareja que se encuentra viajando tranquila en auto por una ru
Uggh. This book was...unfortunate. This book was the other half of the two book album King released in the late 90's. The other was "The Regulators." In each King used a lot of the same characters but in different roles with different stories that contained many similarities. You can read my review on "The Regulators." It was bad, but this...King went big on this one.

It is his most overtly religious book since "The Stand" and it may be more religious than that. "Desperation" has hints of a cool
I absolutely loved this book. I think aside from the DT series this is my favorite King book. But of course I say that about every King book I read. *shrugs*

Something about spirituality in books really hits the spot for me. Its always interesting to see God from a different perspective. In the end its up to the reader to decide what they thought of God in this story. Or decide if they think King hit the mark or not. Personally, I see some truth in Kings portrayal.

On to The Regulators...
Read back-to-back with "Bachman"'s The Regulators and my brain felt like King drop-kicked it when I was done.

The mini-series was kinda... bad, too.
Companion book to The Regulators. I thought it was a brilliant combination.
What did you think about this book? 3 21 Sep 16, 2015 06:22AM
Stephen King Fans: This topic has been closed to new comments. Desperation Book 2 21 Feb 26, 2015 07:12PM
English 11 Block ...: Desperation 1 14 Sep 30, 2012 01:06PM
Stephen King Fans: Desperation. 2 37 Dec 05, 2010 08:45PM
  • The Bachman Books
  • The Inhuman Condition  (Books of Blood #4)
  • Strange Highways
  • Night Visions 5
  • The Association
  • Stephen King's The Dark Tower: The Complete Concordance
  • Endless Night
  • The Ghosts Of Sleath (David Ash, #2)
More about Stephen King...
The Shining (The Shining, #1) The Stand It Carrie Misery

“Dolls with no little girls around to mind them were sort of creepy under any conditions.” 274 likes
“Oh shit, the mummy's after us, let's all walk a little faster” 81 likes