Start by marking “No Roses for Harry!” as Want to Read:
No Roses for Harry!

No Roses for Harry! (Harry the Dog)

4.22 of 5 stars 4.22  ·  rating details  ·  6,816 ratings  ·  60 reviews
The popular hero of Harry the Dirty Dog does his best to be rid of Grandmother’s birthday present—a silly green sweater with yellow roses. ‘Will bring laughter and sympathy. Recommended for all picture book collections.’ —SLJ.
Published September 17th 1958 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about No Roses for Harry!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about No Roses for Harry!

Lara
I read this book soooooo many times as a kid. Partly I was just obsessed with dogs (okay, I still kind of am). But also, this story is just really, really cute! I reread it for the first time since childhood yesterday and yep, I still think it's great. I think maybe I could identify with Harry having to wear something he didn't like (although for the most part my parents let me dress myself, which, let me tell you, was brave of them), and it's nice that in the end Harry gets his way without hurt ...more
Diana
"No Roses for Harry" is a great book. I really enjoyed it. I love dogs and this.book is perfect for kids who love dogs.
Tanya
A 5-star story just as fun and enjoyable today as it was when written in the 1950s. Harry is the family dog. Grandma decides to give him a lovely give of a knitted sweater with roses all over it. Unfortunately, Harry does not like to wear roses on his sweater at all and begins to plot to get rid of the thing, trying to lose it here and there but just can't get rid of it! Finally, he pulls a thread lose and it starts to unravel. A bird notices and swoops down to grab the end of the thread, unrave ...more
Rosa Cline
Harry the Dog books are lovable wonderful books that children would enjoy being read to or read themselves. The illustrations are basic pastel colors but draws you into them so even without able to read the words a child would LOVE sitting and looking at the pictures.

In this one Grandma sends Harry a sweater with roses on it for his birthday. He HATES roses so he tries everything he can to get rid of his sweater but it is always found. UNTIL he sees it start to unravel and a bird takes off with
Lisa Vegan
I like this one just as much as Harry the Dirty Dog. Both are favorites from childhood that today's children enjoy also. They're funny and enjoyable for adults as well as kids.
Monica!
Any child forced to wear something Grandma has given them for Christmas will cheer Harry on as he manages to "lose" his ridiculous rose-patterned sweater.
Debbie
No Roses for Harry! is part of a series of books featuring the “white dog with black spots”. It was published in 1958 and I think my (taped & well-worn) copy of this charming tale was printed then.

Harry receives a gift from Grandma: a green sweater with yellow roses. He doesn’t like it much and tries to lose in a department store, to no avail. despite his cleverness trying to disguise the sweater in the spots he leaves it.Then a bird unravels a loose thread and takes Harry’s sweater to build
Catherine Boddie
This is one that I remember Mom reading to us as kids. I fell in love with the mischievous Harry. First published the year my mom was born, it's now a classic picture book that kids can still relate to today (especially with the continued trend of dressing dogs *cue bewildered head shaking*). As I've grown up, it is one of those books that I remember fondly and delight when I find it in my library to recommend to parents looking for books to read with their little ones (along with Caps for Sale, ...more
Libby
We love Harry the Dirty Dog, and when we saw this one that I don't remember seeing before, we got it right away. This was a funny story about Harry getting a hand-knit sweater...with roses that he does not like! The solution to Harry's problem is a bit far-fetched, but fun. The kids loved Harry, and I loved the knitting connection.
Lynley
I like the Harry series, or any picturebook with slightly anthropomorphised animals, really, but this one is based on the premise that looking like a girl (covered in rose patterns) is shameful if you have any dignity whatsoever. That's my main gripe with this book.
Lindsee Colglazier
Harry doesn't like his sweater, so he tries to get rid of it, but it keeps getting found and brought back to him. Finally whenever he ends up getting rid of it for good, he actually needs to wear it to show the person who made it for him that he likes it. A mother bird took it and created a nest out of it. This book teaches children to appreciate what they have. There is always someone out there who will appreciate having the things that someone else doesn't appreciate.
Pam
Fond memories of having this read to me as a child. I love the story and the pictures, so much of the reason why is because I remember it from my youth. That has such an impact on my enjoyment of the book later on in my life.
Rebecca Hernandez
This book can somewhat teach young students to be upfront and honest if there is something you don't like, instead log preventing the problem. It can also show them to appreciate what you recieve from others.
Meg Allison
Last week, I introduced Harry the Dirty Dog to my Kindergarten class, they loved it. Absolutely loved it. I used it as a tie in for how to take care of library books and if they should get dirty, well, let's not take a scrubbing brush to them, like Harry.

In re-discovering No Roses for Harry!, we can talk about "characters" - perfect new vocabulary word for the new Kindergarteners and we can explore themes of friendship and respect. And perhaps respect for each other's reading tastes, even if th
Andrea Blythe
My Review: No Roses for Harry! is a childhood favorite of mine. When Harry the white dog with black spots receives a knitted sweater from Grandma with roses on it, he plots to get rid of it if he can. The art is fun an playful and the story that unfolds is adorable with a wonderful surprise at the end.

My Niece's Review: This was one of her birthday gifts when she turned one year old and she loved it! She kept pointing at Harry and squeeled as I told the story. Toward the end she was a bit antsy
Phuong Dao
This book is about a dog name Harry who is owner had gave him a sweater with rose on it. Harry hate it so much because he is a white dog with black spot. From time to time he try to get rid of the sweater but he couldn't. One day while he was outside a bird flew by and took the wool from his sweater and flew away with it. Harry was so happy because he doesn't have have to wear it anymore. One day when the grandmother came, Harry walk with her and the children to the park. He saw the bird made a ...more
Cynthia
I loved this story, about what to do with a gift that you really hate, even though you love the person who gave it.
Heather
This is one of my classic childhood books I was always drawn to the simplicity of the colors.
Weeny
ハリーはいつも通り可愛いけど、おばあちゃんが作ってくれた薔薇柄のセーターをそこまで嫌がらなくてもいいのに・・とちょっと悲しい気分になったので、4つ。何回も読みたいと思う話ではなかった。 ...more
Anna H
Hmmm, a sweater he can't loose...or maybe not...a great childhood story!
Joy
A cute story of Harry trying to get rid of an ugly sweater.
Aine
My favorite of the Harry series. I love how even a dog has good taste and unravels it so that he doesn't have to wear it - and it ends up being a nest for a bird! Just so darn cute! My boys laugh and laugh at that. In that story the kids learn that sometimes it's okay not to like a gift given, and if you find out your gift isn't liked the way you thought it would be, it's okay - love them and learn what they like for next time. Something I think the adult world could learn! Harry made his debut ...more
Maggie
I've decided to start marking books that were my favorites as a child so I don't forget to buy them for the children in my life.
===========
No Roses for Harry is a story of a frustrated be-sweatered dog who diligently tries to rid himself of his rosey knit masterpiece. I can't remember exactly why I loved it, but considering I remember the name of the book 20 years later, it had to have been good!
Samma
Oh, those Grandmas... Their hearts are in the right place, but they never quite get it right the first try for their "cool" grandkids, do they? And when one of your grandkids is a dog...well, they're pickier than the human ones! A cute little story that has withstood the test of time. Another character that has stood out for almost 60 years and will continue to entertain for generations.
Kristine Pratt
Poor Harry is given a truly ugly dog sweater. His solutions are humorous, as are the expressions of the family when they see what he's up to. His solution though is perfect (and not really his fault), and there's some real emotion when he finds out that the giver of the sweater is coming to visit. Good story all the way around. Harry is indeed a classic!
Kaye
Harry (dog) received an ugly rose sweater from grandma. Harry tried to lose it. Harry snags a thread and a bird pulled the loose end and unravels the entire sweater. When Grandma visits they discover the thread woven into a bird's nest up in a park tree. Grandma makes Harry a new "B&W" spotted sweater. 1950’S art work. Fun Story. Series.
Ann
I laughed and laughed at this story of a little dog trying to get rid of a sweater he hates, probably because it reminds me of the kinds of things I do to my own dog and how much she hates wearing costumes. I loved the 1950s atmosphere of the pictures, too. It's just completely charming and old-fashioned, in the best sense.
Jacqueline
Tee
I didn't like some of the really negative sentences about how harry didn't like roses in the first couple pages so I skipped them when I read the book to Micah. But Micah really latched on to this book. I think he liked the illustrations and the ending :) We've read it over and over the last cpl days.
  • A Birthday for Frances
  • Sammy the Seal
  • The Saggy Baggy Elephant
  • Owl at Home
  • Alexander and the Wind-Up Mouse
Born on October 5, in 1913, Gene Zion attended the New School of Social Research and the Pratt Institute. In 1948, he married artist Margaret Bloy Graham, who then collaborated with him on all his picture books. When their marriage ended in 1968, Zion also ended his career as an author. Zion is best known for his creation of the rascally dog, Harry, who appears in such books as HARRY THE DIRTY DOG ...more
More about Gene Zion...

Harry the Dog (4 books)
  • Harry the Dirty Dog
  • Harry and the Lady Next Door
  • Harry by the Sea
Harry the Dirty Dog Harry and the Lady Next Door  Harry by the Sea A Harry The Dirty Dog Treasury: Three Stories The Plant Sitter