Start by marking “My Utmost for His Highest” as Want to Read:
My Utmost for His Highest

My Utmost for His Highest

4.38  ·  Rating Details  ·  45,099 Ratings  ·  567 Reviews
This edition of Oswald Chambers' golden book features the updated language edition with a leather-like cover, gold gilded page edges, and a ribbon marker. This best-selling devotional includes complete subject and Scripture indexes along with 366 timeless, inspirational devotions in a classic but affordable burgundy leather-like binding. Ideal for both the Chambers devotee ...more
Published May 1st 1993 by Discovery House (first published November 30th 1926)

To ask other readers questions about My Utmost for His Highest, please sign up.

Albert Root amazing. I will read it for the rest of my years over and over again.
Sandi Yes, because it IS inspired! I will read it over and over. You may have heard not to use the words "never" and "always". For instance, "never say…moreYes, because it IS inspired! I will read it over and over. You may have heard not to use the words "never" and "always". For instance, "never say never." Well, Chambers uses both words and when he does, you pay attention!, he strikes a precious chord . . . (less)

Miriam
Jul 20, 2012 Miriam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read it when I can in the evening. This is not a typical mushy coffee table devotional, not at all. In fact I usually have to read the short entries three times to grasp its meaning. There is so much to chew on with practically every word written. And it is not the easy stuff either- no fluffy emotions. This is testing of faith! No more fluffy good feelings but true inspiration for a radical life of faith.
David Johnston
Aug 04, 2011 David Johnston rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The copy of My Utmost for His Highest that I have was originally given to my son as a graduation present by the youth pastor of our Church. He left home, went to college, got married and now has a son of his own. Oswald Chamber's classic sat on our shelf for many years, unread, unappreciated and gathering dust beside an equally neglected copy of the Complete Works of Shakespeare. It was only a few months ago when I was going down to visit him and his lovely wife and the uber grandson that I ran ...more
Jes
Dec 04, 2008 Jes rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
Recommended to Jes by: My Mom
This devotional has put things into perspective for me so many days in a row. Oswald has a way of wording things that really gets deep down inside of you!

I have given two copies of this devotional away as gifts and I am about to give my third....it's a great gift idea, because it's really neat to be able to discuss what this means to another individual seeking christ...

Here is just one small taste of one cool exert:

Nov 30
"There is only one relationship that matters and that is your relationship
Arcyllin Arcilla
Nov 17, 2008 Arcyllin Arcilla rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: sold-out disciples of Christ
Recommended to Arcyllin by: Raya Bambico-Llanto
After finishing this year-long devotional, the depth of my faith has tremendously deepened. I have not yet found an equal to this material. This is worth going through again for the second, third, even fourth time!
Mark Uncommon Valor
Jan 01, 2009 Mark Uncommon Valor rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: devotional
" Stand fast therefore in the liberty by which Christ has made us free . . . " ( Galatians 5:1 ).

A spiritually-minded person will never come to you with the demand . . . " Believe this and that " ; a spirtually-minded person will demand that you align your life with the standards of Jesus. We are not asked to believe the Bible , but believe the One whom the Bible reveals (see John 5:39-40 ). We are called to present liberty for the conscience of others, not to bring them liberty for their though
Nathan Eilers
Jan 01, 2010 Nathan Eilers rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all Christians
Recommended to Nathan by: Dan, Lisa, et al.
This was the best book I read in 2009, and I couldn’t choose any other. This is a stellar book and an especially good book of devotions. Chambers consistently and insistently reminds the reader of the powerful reality of the Redemption, and he bases all of what he writes on this one fundamental truth. The result of this is daily writings on the Christian walk that are permeated with power and hope.

My Utmost came recommended to me by everyone who had ever read it. Now I add my voice to the choir
Sheryl Tribble
This book makes me so crazy. He'll say something like, "An average view of the Christian life is that it means deliverance from trouble. It is deliverance in trouble, which is very different." (August 2) And I'll say, "Yes, and Amen." Then, two paragraphs later, he'll say, "God does not give us overcoming life; He gives us life as we over come." And I'll say, "What? No." Jesus HAS (past tense) overcome the world -- John 16:33. We don't overcome the world so much as live in that belief -- 1 John ...more
Rob
Apr 12, 2009 Rob rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christianity, shelved
Going throught this in a small group setting. I recommend this method so that more meat is in the lessons. There is much there but the way the general points are made may take some Scripture out of context or focus on one point that is not really the purpose.
We are on 14 Jan...once a week study.
Debbie Phillips
Dec 29, 2012 Debbie Phillips rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All Christians, older teen and up
Recommended to Debbie by: Kassel
Shelves: spiritual
So... how did I like this book??? I gave it 4 stars out of 5 and I sticky noted 48 pages out of the 365 days as my favorites! I would say that is pretty good. I did not give it 5 stars because I have to admit that some of the devotionals just didn't apply to me and some I was left dumbfounded by. Some of those that I didn't understand my hubby was able to explain to me. I am thankful that we read this together or I probably would have quit before we finished, and there were some gems in those la ...more
Brent McCulley
Dec 10, 2013 Brent McCulley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: devotional, favorites
A masterpiece devotional writer, and excellent evangelist and teacher, Oswald Chambers has become near and dear to so many Christian families with the enduring "My Utmost for His Highest." Arguably the most popular classic devotional of all time, there is a reason why Oswald is read and beloved by so many saints around the world.

Each day is a new topic, with a specific scripture wherein Oswald not only leaves plenty of spiritual milk to drink, but also tons of spiritual meat to chew. Each senten
Rebekah
Jan 07, 2016 Rebekah is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
1/1/16: I was given this book as a graduation present (way back in 2002) by my youth pastor. I have read random pages over the years but never cover to cover. This year on top of reading the entire Bible I will be using this book as my devotional. From time to time I will add to this review my thoughts on readings that really speak to me.

1/7/16: Yesterday I overslept and had to rush out the door and skipped the reading- thinking I'd make sure to pick it up the second I got home. Well that didn'
Clay Winters
Nov 25, 2015 Clay Winters rated it it was amazing
Rarely do I come across a daily devotional which offers the wisdom and insight that My Utmost provides. Coming from an author who died early into the 20th century, the journal entries seem to jump off the pages in overall relevance and knowledge that is current to today's worldly affairs. Oswald Chambers was gifted with extracting the essence of biblical principles and condensing them into potent, thought-provoking, and life-changing devotions. They say it takes close to 3 weeks(or 21 days) to d ...more
Libby Baker Sweiger
This is the best devotional book I have ever read. Along with my bible it is going to remain a staple in my devotions from here on out. It is so well written and so real...guiding one to giving their all to God. I read it through, but I will keep it out to read one devotion each day along with my Bible reading, which is how I believe it is mean to be used.

Oswald Chambers' walk with God is so close and so real and down to earth he conveys this so well in this beautiful book, it brings home the p
Nathan Parker
Nov 07, 2015 Nathan Parker rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Classic devotional from Oswald Chambers. Every Christian should read this. It has been a true blessing during my devotional time with the Lord.
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja)
In order to have written the most successful review for this book, I should have started with Day 1 and wrote something about each entry every day. Sadly, I didn't do that. So I'll just do my best to write a summary of my thoughts of this devotional over the year-long experience of reading it. I hope that any reader of this review finds that helpful.

Oswald Chambers is a man who definitely had an ongoing encounter with God. His thoughts tap into every aspect of the experience of following Christ
Tom
Aug 11, 2012 Tom rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spiritual, devotional
Showing my spiritual immaturity and literary ignorance, I only learned about this masterpiece through working with the Billy Graham Evangelism Association in raising funds for the 1993 Pittsburgh Crusade. What a wonderful time and this was but one of the jewels found during this experience. This is one of the world's great books. Surely one belonging in the "classics" category. It is the all-time "best-seller" among Christian devotionals.

And the story of how Chambers' widow was called and perfe
Bill
Dec 06, 2012 Bill rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
- This book makes you look at yourself, think, and act.
- If you are typical, you will use this book every day for the rest of your life!
- No book, except the Bible, has influenced my walk with Christ at such a deep and maturing level.
- This book constantly reminds me that the ground of faith and experience is the person of Jesus Christ. The basis of faith is always Jesus Christ Himself.

- These daily readings have been selected from various sources; chiefly from the lectures given at the Bible Tr
Francis Gahren
Apr 18, 2013 Francis Gahren rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian, classics
Oswald Chambers, a Scotsman who converted to Christianity in his teens under the ministry of Charles Spurgeon has been affecting Christians with his devotional words since “My Utmost for His Highest” was first published in 1935. This acknowledged classic contains 365 daily readings that take heady doctrine and make it practical, realistic, and intensely personal. With humor and humility, Chambers speaks plainly to the common man struggling with devotion to Christ I n daily living. Richard Halver ...more
Tim Kruse
Sep 20, 2007 Tim Kruse rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Hungry Christians
Shelves:
Compiled by his wife, (he burned all of his personal writings) this collection of sermons and talks from her verbatim short-hand notes are very inspirational.

The profound depth of these writings goes beyond philosophies developed by a man. These are the writings of one who has experienced true, transforming relationship with the Creator of All in every area of life.

Its practicality is almost a hindrance in understanding it to me. I read it to find some deep spiritual meaning, and find that what
Chris
Mar 21, 2015 Chris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is by far the best daily devotional I've ever read. Every day brings something deep and meaty and somehow always relates to where I'm at that day. This book has helped me tremendously with my daily walk.
Katie Van
Aug 19, 2012 Katie Van rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this devotional every morning for 7 years, until it was so familiar that I didn't need to read certain days because they had been imprinted on me. I still find myself quoting or referring to MUFHH, and have notes in the margins of my first bible of MUFHH with a date when I would make connections between a truth highlighted by Oswald and what I learned in Scripture. What a blessing - it really shaped my theology and grounded me in the Lord as a new believer. It was the perfect length read ...more
Philip
Mar 10, 2011 Philip rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great friend and missionary once recommended this work to me when I was but a teenager. I had never heard of it before, but picked it up with great vigor. Although Chambers' theology is a bit funky from time to time, he hits the mark more often than not. Chambers has a unique insight into the heart of man and applies Scripture to the hearts and motives of his readers. This is not a book for those who would like to read a little and then continue in a life unchanged by the Word. No, this is a b ...more
Sue
Dec 31, 2013 Sue rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A small devotional that packs a big punch. The introduction states that they are excerpts from lectures given at a Bible Training College. If these are excerpts...wow....I wonder what the entire messages were like. Although each entry is short (the dimensions of the book are about 4x6), there is enough meat in each entry to give you plenty of food for thought during the day. It is easily something that could be followed for a year and then start right back at the beginning again with it being j ...more
Mandy J. Hoffman
On the back of this book it says: "Kid-sized devotions with big-time truths!" I think that is the best way to sum up this adorable little devotional book that is full of sweet illustrations and wonderful, never-changing Biblical truth.

There is a dated page for each day of the year that contains a devotional that is short enough for young attention spans, but is deep enough to start some good conversation with your children. I highly recommend you take a year to go through this with your childre
Vernita Naylor
Jan 17, 2016 Vernita Naylor rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: inspiration, religion
My Utmost for His Highest My Utmost for His Highest has been my go to book for years. Every four years I begin reading this book on the date that I picked it up. This book has never failed me, it is always on point to as to what is going on in my life at the time.

My Utmost for His Highest is a daily devotion guide that provides a scripture that is tied to words of wisdom and encouragement from Oswald. Oswald died at an early age but he spent a lot of time and sacrifice tuning into the world and
Glenn Crouch
Dec 30, 2015 Glenn Crouch rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: theology
I read this book as a daily devotional about 30 years ago, so I thought for 2015 it would be a good idea to include it again as part of my daily devotional time.

I must admit throughout the first third of the book, I found myself wondering why I had such fond memories of this resource. I wasn't finding it all that inspiring nor devotional. Had I changed so much in the 30 years... Perhaps, but I was determined to continue - since it was not that the readings were bad rather I had expected much mor
Catherine Mullaney
I've probably read this book 5 different years. If I am not mistaken, I read it in 1997, '98, and '99. It is a devotional from a thoughtful chap who lived across the Big Pond in the 19th century and died early in the 20th. You can read more about him here http://utmost.org/oswald-chambers-bio/. Each page is thought provoking and great food for thought and/or debate concerning the Christian life.
I love his talk about our "white funeral" we all have to admit that we were dead, we all have to be w
Jonathan Kirby
Nov 29, 2015 Jonathan Kirby rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oswald Chambers was a great man of God. This book is one of the finest Christian books I've read - though I have not gone into it deeply. I have it with me. It is essential reading for a truly born-again Christian. I've read quite a few books by Oswald Chambers, and I rate him very highly. He belongs to the early years of my Christian experience.

I find him very sound and solid. His writing style is taut and tough; he doesn't waste words. You have to read him carefully, slowly, letting his words
Kristi Stoughton
A beautiful little book with a treasure for every day! If you don't already spend time with God each day, this book is a great way to get started. The single-page daily readings are unintimidating but pithy and practical and contain excellent insight and Biblical truth. I like to use this in addition to my regular study and time with God. Even going through it every year, it doesn't lose its ability to bless, convict, and teach.
Donna Sandidge
Apr 23, 2013 Donna Sandidge rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have put this down for a while as I don't have a lot of extra reading time and am reading the Bible this year. It is a wonderful spiritual resource. I love that the writing and thoughts are very traditional and take time to understand. I feel like God is really talking through the author. I haven't read every page but have picked it up often over the course of several years and will definitely be returning to the book!
InHisCare Reading...: PRAYER FOR THIS WEEK 1 2 Nov 20, 2013 04:51PM
Mansfield Public ...: My Utmost for His Highest Review by Joanna Auriantal 1 4 Jul 23, 2013 10:34AM
  • Streams in the Desert
  • Morning and Evening, Based on the English Standard Version
  • Experiencing God: Knowing and Doing the Will of God, Workbook
  • Shadow of the Almighty: The Life and Testament of Jim Elliot (Lives of Faith)
  • The Normal Christian Life
  • Devotional Classics: Selected Readings for Individuals and Groups
  • The Journey of Desire: Searching for the Life We Always Dreamed of
  • Operation World: When We Pray God Works: 21st Century Edition
  • No Wonder They Call Him the Savior: Experiencing the Truth of the Cross
Oswald Chambers was born to devout parents in Aberdeen, Scotland. At age 16, Oswald Chambers was baptized and became a member of Rye Lane Baptist Chapel. Even as a teenager, Chambers was noted for his deep spirituality, and he participated in the evangelization of poor occupants of local lodging houses. Oswald married Gertrude in May 1910, and on May 24, 1913, Gertrude gave birth to their only chi ...more
More about Oswald Chambers...

“Have you been asking God what He is going to do? He will never tell you. God does not tell you what He is going to do; He reveals to you Who He is.” 171 likes
“The most important aspect of Christianity is not the work we do, but the relationship we maintain and the surrounding influence and qualities produced by that relationship. That is all God asks us to give our attention to, and it is the one thing that is continually under attack.” 74 likes