Start by marking “One Red Dot: A Pop-Up Book for Children of All Ages” as Want to Read:
One Red Dot: A Pop-Up Book for Children of All Ages

One Red Dot: A Pop-Up Book for Children of All Ages

4.41  ·  Rating Details  ·  172 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
A Classic Collectible Pop-Up

One Red Dot is a stunning tour de force from David A. Carter, the creator of the bestselling Bugs in a Box books.

Each of the ten magnificent pop-up sculptures challenges readers to find the one red dot. From the flip-flop flaps to the whimsical wiggle-wobble widgets, each page is an original piece of artwork to cherish and admire.

Hardcover, Limited Edition, 18 pages
Published January 10th 2006 by Little Simon (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about One Red Dot, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One Red Dot

Joe Bananas
Feb 28, 2015 Joe Bananas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really attractive book that wont pass many childlike handling tests. Its tricky paper 3D pop up sculptures are as interesting and funny as fragile and easy to wreck. Despite that fact, to move through the pages of this book is a really delightful experience for children and not so youngsters. Recommended both if you don't care about seeing how most of the pages get broken after the first views or if you can carefully help your children to use it.
Terry
Young Reader Reaction: I fully expected to hear "this is a baby book," but I did not. My preteen spent hours with this book. She wasn't as interested in looking for the red dot as she was playing with the pages and figuring out how they were constructed.

Adult Reader Reaction: This is a wonderful book for exploring with a young child. Where other books let you ask questions about what's happening on the page, with One Red Dot the kids can play with the book to find the answer.

Pros: Toddlers to te
Kristina
Dec 01, 2014 Kristina rated it liked it
Shelves: edrd-314
I liked the book for younger kids. The pop-ups really would get their attention. It's a quick read and easy to get through while keeping your attention for the whole time. Might be good for kids who are starting to read.
5inabus
Jan 25, 2013 5inabus rated it it was amazing
Yes, Yes, Yes! A pop-up book to compete with the best of them. The concept is this: a single red dot on each page, hidden somewhere within the pop up which springs out of each page in a burst of colour. Boxes pop, orbs pivot, curly tails hang from seuss-like trees - it's impossible to see the little red dot without getting down on all fours, studying the pages to be the first to find it.

Meant to buy this years ago, being an avid pop-up fan, but couldn't never bring myself to spring for the price
Sandra
Mar 20, 2014 Sandra rated it really liked it
The kids were a little underwhelmed, but I was pretty impressed with the sophisticated pop-ups in this book.
Drusilla
Sep 14, 2015 Drusilla rated it it was amazing
Great fun searching for the red dot amongst some great popups!
Kelli Carlson
Nov 20, 2012 Kelli Carlson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pop-up-book
One Red Dot by David A. Carter is a pop up book that asks children to find "one red dot" on each page. The pop-ups in the book are very complex, futuristic and fun to look at and move. As you read the book you begin to anticipate where the red dots going to be and the challenge is fun. The book sparks the imagination and it a creative aside to informational books. I think it gives readers a break from reading and makes it more of an experience. I think its an excellent book to have in your class ...more
Nina
May 11, 2012 Nina rated it really liked it
David A. Carter is the most amazing pop-up book paper engineer I've come across. He creates fantastical scenes, objects, plants and other nonsensical doodads that twist, bends, twirls, saws and pops into life with every page. David A. Carter's pop-up books are for all ages, with the exception of the very very young, who might be a tad grabby and rough with books.

'One Red Dot' is a rhyming picture puzzle in 3D. The reader is asked to look up, down, in between, sideways and through three dimension
Jul 11, 2014 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tom, children
A family favorite thanks to Tom!
Kate
Jan 25, 2014 Kate rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kid-s-books
Beautiful book - one of Cole's favorite
Katrina
May 19, 2009 Katrina rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Concept Storytime and Teacher Collections
This pop-up book is an elegant, beautiful object, or series of objects, one on each fold-out spread. It's nominally a number book, counting from 1 to 10. Each page opens to create a wonderful 3-D construction, each hiding one red dot. One page wiggles as you pull a tab, one makes noise as zigzags rub against each other, one has 9's that dangle from Seuss-like trees. They're all great fun.
Megan Mccormick
Sep 30, 2014 Megan Mccormick rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: edrd-314
I loved this book so much, it is one of my favorite interactive books. The structures inside that pop up are incredible and it teaches the kids to look at their surroundings and really look at everything in order to find the one red dot. I will definitely be having this in my house for my kids because I loved it so much I'm sure my kids and students will enjoy it as well.
Louise (A Strong Belief in Wicker)
A great take on the 1-10 counting book. Amazing design, with incredible pop-ups will astound both kids and adults. Sadly, as with every pop-up book it doesn't seem robust enough to withstand too much toddler love. Fun to find the one red dot too.
Alisa
Nov 01, 2008 Alisa rated it it was amazing
I picked up a copy for my boy, thinking he'd like the bright colors. To my surprise, I discovered it's a sophiscicated pop-up book of masterfully engineered designs. Screw the kid, I'm keeping it for myself.
Franco Vite
Trovato grazie alla recensione su "il manifesto" di Francesca Borrelli.
Un libro meraviglioso, imperdibile, straordinario e via con i superlativi.
Non fatevelo scappare!!!!
Ksmom
Feb 26, 2009 Ksmom rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens, own
WOW! Another favorite. We got this for our son for his 2nd birthday and he absolutely loved it...still does at almost 4. Heck, I think it is a great book too.
Mindy
Jan 24, 2008 Mindy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Of the three that he has put out so far, it is my favorite. There are two more in the series coming. Beautiful paper sculptures, as he calls them, but I totally agree.
Clare
Jan 31, 2009 Clare rated it it was amazing
Amazing art.
Had to buy a second copy for my son because he loved it so much that he damaged most pages. Fun for the eyes & fun for little ones to grab.
Muffy Kroha
Nov 18, 2007 Muffy Kroha rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Children of all ages
This is the best pop up book I have ever seen- It is groovy and above all, every tableau is fully functional even after abuse- It is GREAT!!!!
Puja Patel
Apr 11, 2011 Puja Patel rated it it was amazing
Shelves: colors, counting
This fun, great, pop-up book keeps the children interactive and teaches them how to count. This a fantastic book for young readers.
Amanda
Oct 20, 2010 Amanda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kid-s-books
This was much easier for a preschooler than 600 black dots. The pop-ups are AMAZING and he looked through it several times on his own.
Pirate
Jan 03, 2009 Pirate rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kid-books
I wish I had time to make pop-up books. This one and the Yellow Square are truly amazing, both for little and big folks.
Susan
Jun 16, 2013 Susan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
Children love finding the spot hidden on each page if colorful, ingenious popups.
Jessica
Feb 21, 2011 Jessica rated it it was amazing
Amazing book that allows your inner child to come out and play! :)
Sophia W
Sep 20, 2015 Sophia W rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another amazing example f what you can do with paper.
Sarah-jane Lowes
Oct 06, 2012 Sarah-jane Lowes rated it it was amazing
Breathtaking!Hooray for David Carter and motion books!
K
Feb 25, 2009 K rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
Visually stunning, but it's also pretty fragile.
Pier
Jan 23, 2013 Pier rated it it was amazing
Beautiful pop up art!
Christopher Maxwell
Christopher Maxwell marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2016
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2016
  • The Day No One Played Together: A Story about Compromise
  • My Bike
  • Round Is a Tortilla: A Book of Shapes
  • Groundhog Weather School
  • It's an Orange Aardvark!
  • Circle, Square, Moose
  • Water Sings Blue: Ocean Poems
  • Frankenstein Takes the Cake
  • Auntie Claus and the Key to Christmas
  • An Awesome Book of Love!
  • A Walk in London
  • Road Work Ahead
  • Do You Know Which Ones Will Grow?
  • My Mom Has X-Ray Vision