Munich Signature (Zion Covenant, #3)

Munich Signature (Zion Covenant #3)

4.35 of 5 stars 4.35  ·  rating details  ·  3,868 ratings  ·  86 reviews
Opening in 1936, the Zion Covenant series tells the courageous and compelling stories of those who risk everything to stand against the growing tide of Nazi terrorism that is sweeping through central Europe under the dangerous and deceitful guise of Hitler's Third Reich. A new study guide is included in each book.
Published March 17th 2005 by Tyndale House Publishers (first published April 1st 1990)

Evangheline Farcas
Once more I was held captive by this book. Elisa and the struggle of the Jewish people is clearly portrayed in this book. Though it is fiction, often I forgot this as I read as I recognized many of the key events from the Holocost we incorporated into this book. Brock and Bodie Thoene showed us the great struggle as the few tried to raise the alarm to Hilter's dark nature. Murphy was an unforgettable character as he tried to get American's to open their eyes to the suffering and horror of the Je...more
Ruth Ann
When I was a teen, a young man told me about his parents being on a ship and traveling from country to country. Everyone turned them away and they were finally made wards of the United Nations. Some of the events in Munich Signature could have been their story. His parents too were fleeing from Nazi controlled territories.

The book is part of the Zion Covenant series of historical fiction covering WWII. Munich Signature relates events in the European Theatre in the late 1930's as Hitler expanded...more
Mindy
Even though I know the history of WWII, these books put a very personal insight into what went on with the people. Elisa is very "cloak and dagger" in this book as she is forced to be an undercover agent for the British to get her family passports to leave Praque.
I was brought to tears with the story of the "Darien", a ship full of jewish refugees, with no port to land in. They left there homes with nothing but the clothes on their back and the hope of a better future for their children. It is...more
Jen Stewart
I read this whole series several years ago. Each book was so well written. I was captivated by the characters, their stories and struggles. It was this series that really peaked by love for historical fiction.
Gloria
Apr 22, 2014 Gloria rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Historical fiction fans; people interested in World War II
Sarah (Goldberg) Friddle
I've already been a fan of Bodie & Brock Theone, and this third book in the Zion Covenant series was no disappointment for what I've come to expect from their compelling story-telling and engaging historical references. The writing style is such that the chapters flow along quickly and end with suspense that keeps me up much past my bedtime turning the pages for more. Main characters such as the beautiful Austrian violinist Elisa Linder, who finds herself in the thick of intrigue and incogni...more
Best in the series so far. It got my emotions and mind working and gave me so much to ponder about my own life and what should I be doing to help those around me and got me thinking about modern day immigrants. The poem at the end really put into words what I've been feeling for some time, that while I am overwhelmed by the need and I am only one person, I can do something.
Gracee
#3 of the series. Still fascinating, emotional, and gripping.

First was Berlin, then Austria, then Czechoslovakia..and onto Europe - part of Hitler's "success" was the "it won't happen here" attitude, and the "as long as we're alright, we need not be a part of their disputes.." These allowed Hitler to march into many of these places with hardly a shot fired. Men that knew better, that knuckled under to this mad-man. The "rounding up" of "non Aryan races" really didn't make riveting news in Americ...more
Jeni Enjaian
The thing that impressed me the most about this book is the Thoene's ability to weave in the stories of other characters while still telling the compelling stories of the original characters. That ability helps them extend their series far beyond what they would otherwise reach if they centered on the lives of just a few main characters.
While there are aspects of this book that stretch the limit of suspension of disbelief (aka things working out uncannily (though not perfectly) for almost all of...more
Carolyn  C.
This is the third book in the series and I've read all three. I LOVED the first two books...the author does a great job of writing and I feel I've learned so much about the time leading up to WWII. I also feel invested in the characters. Although it's a continuing story she does a good job of wrapping up the story and giving a satisfying ending. Having said that, I did not love this book. Well, let me rephrase that...I really enjoyed it up until the ending. It felt rushed and frankly I was angry...more
Judy Scholl
Book 3 of the series. Fascinating how so many of the Germans finally figured out that Hitler was crazy but were still unable to stop him. Page turner.
Nicole
I liked this one better than the last and I'm still enjoying the history lessons surrounding WWII. I feel like Elisa is finally coming into herself - finally. I did not like that some of the Jewish characters were converted to Christianity. Not because I don't believe this may have happened during this tumultuous time but because the authors (Christian authors) didn't explain or explore any more of their conversion other than the fact it happened. This is a huge life change that would affect cha...more
Jane
The third in a series...WWII time frame. Intriguing and entertaining.
Enigmaticblue
This installment will keep you on the edge of your seat.
Vikki Kestell
I love Bodie's books and have read just about all of them!
Sherrie
*spoilers*
finally finished this book. i took a break half way through and read like 3 other books. plot wasn't as exciting as first two books. best part at the end when thomas got wand. and the darien ship plot breaks my heart. they have this whole book build up to whether or not this ship will find somewhere to port...then it up and sinks at the end. just like that. they're all dead. will go on to read #4 and hope the plot thickens and gets a bit more interesting...
Nancy Anderson
My favorite so far in this series. Interesting
to find Czechoslavakia better prepared to fight Nazi Germany than any other European country & even England @ that time in history. That coup failure of the high ranking German officers was tough..I assume this is correct historically..Munich Agreement wiped out their plan to get Hitler & his staff! So interesting the attitudes of the nations..character counts is what I take from the immigration trials.
Jessica
It was a good book, though sometimes I felt that I liked the first two books better. I almost felt as though the authors tried to pack too much into this book and I felt myself getting lost, at times. However, I did like the way that the authors used certain characters in certain ways that left the reader stunned. I am looking forward to reading the rest of the series and am curious as to whom/what each book will focus on.
Charissa
I was bored and had nothing else to read, so picked this off my shelf and read it again; I read it about 20 years ago and this series was my favorite for many years. I still liked it the 2nd time around, but not as much as I used to. The World War II history in this series is very good, although it is biased very much toward the Jews and makes all Arabs seem bad (which isn't my view from being in Israel).
Wendy Roberts
Once again, a little long. Some of the scenarios are so obviously meant to pull at your heartstrings...it feels a little contrived. But still, the authors do have a mission to highlight the suffering of the Jewish people. There is so much suffering here that I was having bad dreams. I am learning a lot about the lead-up to World War II, and particularly about the policies of Hitler and the Nazi regime.
B
... i'm totally sucked into this serious now...off to get the next one at the library!
and I am not an historical fiction person. or a "christian lit" person. enjoying these books though, and would rec'd the series. the 2nd and 3rd books were actually better than the first. grab a pile of them for a summer reading mental getaway and pick up some history along the way...
Olivia
Jan 20, 2014 Olivia rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Olivia by: Mom
My mom lent me these books to read. I feel like the author develops the characters really well and yet still brings in so much information on World War II. Some character's misunderstandings or repetitive defeats can get mildly frustrating, but I think they're definitely some of the best, most informative historical fiction I've read about this time period.
Hilda Reilly
This is the third of the Zion Covenant series that I've read. I must say, the Thoenes know how to tell a thumping good story. While I don't share their religious views, and find their evangelistic preaching obtrusive at times, I still enjoy the reading experience and it stimulates me to explore a period of history I don't know all that much about.
Charyla Olsen
The continuing saga of Nazi domination traces the lives of those in the first book and adds a colorful array of characters, all of whom are impacted by Hitler and his Third Reich. The politics of the nations is explored in memorable ways and the Thoenes are to be commended for their research and storytelling abilities.
Nikki
3rd book in the Zion Chronicles six book series. Based on the demise of Europe through the reign of Adolf Hitler and the beginnings of WWII. Historically accurate with a fiction storyline woven between the non-fiction characters. I am loving this series! Thanks, Jamie, for introducing me!
Lisa
Wonderful read. The story is getting more and more tense as you get more and more attached to these wonderful characters. It is amazing how she is able to build suspense, even though we know the direction things will go. I really loved learning so much about Czechoslavacia (sp?) in this book.
Jolene
Amazing series. So well researched and well written. I'm convinced that Bodie and Brock are the perfect team for writing books. It has everything that I love (music and European history) all in one. This series also just gets better with every book! Highly recommended.
Linda
This is the best so far of the Zion Covenant Series. I had a hard time putting it down, and the ending was heartbreaking! The main characters are so endearing, and that's what keeps me reading this series. Besides, I'm learning so much about World War II.
Laurel
Nov 15, 2011 Laurel added it
Shelves: abandoned
I might return to this in a few months. I love the series, but it's too intense to plow through (9 books in all) without a break. I was starting to get irritable and grumpy. With the holidays upon us, I need a shift to something lighter!!
AlixJamie
I really enjoyed this one. Although it was heart-wrenchingly sad, the story is one that makes an impression on the mind. I felt the helplessness with the passengers on the Darien. Where do you go when no one wants you?
  • A House Divided (The Russians, #2)
  • While Mortals Sleep
  • Kingscote (Heart of India #3)
  • Heirs of the Motherland (The Russians, #4)
  • The Indentured Heart: 1740 (The House of Winslow)
BODIE AND BROCK THOENE (pronounced Tay-nee) have written over 45 works of historical fiction. These best sellers have sold more than 10 million copies and won eight ECPA Gold Medallion Awards.

Bodie began her writing career as a teen journalist for her local newspaper. Eventually her byline appeared in prestigious periodicals such as U.S. News and World Report, The American West, and The Saturday E...more
More about Bodie Thoene...
Vienna Prelude (Zion Covenant, #1) Prague Counterpoint (Zion Covenant, #2) Jerusalem Interlude (Zion Covenant, #4) Danzig Passage (Zion Covenant, #5) The Gates of Zion (Zion Chronicles #1)