Start by marking “Character” as Want to Read:

COMPANIONSHIP IN MARRIAGE
THE DISCIPLINE OF EXPERIENCE
374 pages
Published 1871 by A.L. Burt Company, Publishers, New York

To ask other readers questions about Character, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Character

Tara
Nov 18, 2013 Tara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Only read one-third in so far, and a few comments:

I love that this book actually speaks to both men and women, of what virtues are "traditionally" expected of both. (i.e. women's character are private and in the home, rather than public, but they occasionally do become publicly known for character).

Samuel Smiles provide several examples of great people in history, many of them are in the British parliamentary. Given the age this book was written in, of course, all the examples of great men and w
Nicholeen
Jul 08, 2008 Nicholeen rated it it was amazing
If you want an epiphany every two sentences, this is the book for you.
Anthony Lord
Feb 26, 2013 Anthony Lord rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: People who enjoy reading older books. People who are looking to improve themselves.
Samuel Smiles

I decided to read this book after finding a stack of old books in my garage belonging to my late Grandmother Renee. I never met her, but from the stories I've heard of her it is fair to say she was a fairly bad ass woman. So of course the books she read must also be bad ass. Sifting through the boxes of books, I happened to come across Character. Character, by Samuel Smiles, was published in 1910 and is a self help book focusing on developing character within ones self. Interesting
Sandra
Jan 02, 2010 Sandra rated it it was amazing
Smiles is a word-master....and just for that reason, Character is an excellent read.
Here's a taste:

"Want of respect for the feelings of others usually originates in selfishness, and originates in selfishness, and issues in hardness and repulsivness of manner. It may not proceed from malignity so much as from want of sympathy and want of delicacy-a want of that perception of, and attention to, those little and apparently trifling things by which pleasure is given or pain occasioned to others."

"
Abdullah Almuslem
This is a great book that deals with lots of aspects in life. Samuel Smiles puts all his knowledge and wisdom in this book in which you feel you are reading "books" not one book. His arguments about the rise and fall of societies are impressive. He shows a deep understanding about the human being which gives his book a soul that will not die. This was truly one of the best books I have ever read and I would recommend it to anybody who wants to rise to higher place in his society.
Simon
Apr 14, 2013 Simon rated it it was amazing
Although this was written in the 19th Century, the underlying principles still apply today. If you like the classic's and are passionate about self development you can't go far wrong with any book by Samuel Smiles. "Character" will help you not only become a better person, but recognize the traits of success within others too.
Jill
Feb 25, 2008 Jill rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone
This has the potential to be a life changing book, it depends on what you bring to it. I loved it, it has wonderful, practical and powerful truths in it that motivate the reader to be a better person. I'm going to read this book again with my husband.
Alfonso Soto
Alfonso Soto rated it really liked it
Jan 03, 2017
Carlos Rodriguez
Carlos Rodriguez rated it it was amazing
Oct 19, 2013
theresa baylor
theresa baylor rated it it was ok
Mar 19, 2014
Doug
Doug rated it liked it
Jan 29, 2011
Victoria
Victoria rated it really liked it
Aug 14, 2016
Tyvius
Tyvius rated it it was amazing
Dec 28, 2015
Jason
Jason rated it really liked it
Apr 18, 2012
Joe Broadmeadow
Joe Broadmeadow rated it really liked it
May 18, 2015
İsmail Sönmez
İsmail Sönmez rated it it was amazing
Aug 03, 2014
Vijayalakshmi
Vijayalakshmi rated it really liked it
Oct 31, 2015
Tina Grey
Tina Grey rated it did not like it
Jun 01, 2015
Mihad Mohamed
Mihad Mohamed rated it really liked it
Mar 07, 2016
Lisa
Lisa rated it it was amazing
Jan 22, 2010
Gabe Long
Gabe Long rated it really liked it
Jun 06, 2014
Sarah rated it it was amazing
Mar 13, 2013
Karl Thompson
Karl Thompson rated it liked it
Jan 30, 2014
Christine Pefley
Christine Pefley rated it it was amazing
Jun 22, 2014
Vegetarian
Vegetarian rated it liked it
Jan 17, 2015
gin deih sian
gin deih sian rated it liked it
Oct 11, 2015
junghee jones
junghee jones rated it it was amazing
Jan 19, 2015
Derrick Quandt
Derrick Quandt rated it it was amazing
Jul 04, 2016
Man Hui chan
Man Hui chan rated it really liked it
Nov 01, 2012
cajunqueen
cajunqueen rated it it was amazing
Feb 19, 2013
  • Painless Writing
  • Show or Tell?  A Powerful Lesson on a Critical Writing Skill
  • The Ultimate Fiction Thesaurus - A Writing Study
  • How to Write a Damn Good Thriller: A Step-by-Step Guide for Novelists and Screenwriters
  • False Intimacy: Understanding the Struggle of Sexual Addiction
  • Guide to Fiction Writing
  • Telling Details
  • Writing Subtext: What Lies Beneath
  • Moral Essays: Volume III
  • Writing Science Fiction & Fantasy (Writing Series)
  • Time Travel
  • How to Write a Fiction Novel in 30 Days
  • Finding Your Voice: How to Put Personality in Your Writing
  • The Oxford American Writer's Thesaurus
  • Emotion, Conflict and Back Story (Writing Active Setting #2)
  • The Dramatic Writer's Companion: Tools to Develop Characters, Cause Scenes, and Build Stories
  • Shakespeare A to Z: The Essential Reference to His Plays, His Poems, His Life and Times, and More
  • Twitter for Writers (Writer's Craft)
Samuel Smiles (23 December 1812 – 16 April 1904), was a Scottish author and government reformer, who campaigned on a Chartist platform. But he concluded that more progress would come from new attitudes than from new laws. His masterpiece, Self-Help (1859), promoted thrift and claimed that poverty was caused largely by irresponsible habits, while also attacking materialism and laissez-faire governm ...more
More about Samuel Smiles...

“Whilst writing all this, I have had in my mind a woman, whose strong and serious mind would not have failed to support me in these contentions. I lost her thirty years ago [I was a child then]--nevertheless, ever living in my memory, she follows me from age to age.

She suffered with me in my poverty, and was not allowed to share my better fortune. When young, I made her sad, and now I cannot console her. I know not even where her bones are: I was too poor then to buy earth to bury her!

And yet I owe her much. I feel deeply that I am the son of woman. Every instant, in my ideas and words [not to mention my features and gestures], I find again my mother in myself. It is my mother's blood which gives me the sympathy I feel for bygone ages, and the tender remembrance of all those who are now no more.

What return then could I, who am myself advancing towards old age, make her for the many things I owe her? One, for which she would have thanked me--this protest in favour of women and mothers.”
5 likes
“Indeed, we can always better understand and appreciate a man's real character by the manner in which he conducts himself towards those who are the most nearly related to him, and by his transaction of the seemingly commonplace details of daily duty, than by his public exhibition of himself as an author, an orator, or a statesman.” 2 likes