Start by marking “Danzig Passage (Zion Covenant, #5)” as Want to Read:
Danzig Passage (Zion Covenant, #5)

Danzig Passage (Zion Covenant #5)

4.42  ·  Rating Details ·  3,615 Ratings  ·  65 Reviews
Opening in 1936, the Zion Covenant series tells the courageous and compelling stories of those who risk everything to stand against the growing tide of Nazi terrorism that is sweeping through central Europe under the dangerous and deceitful guise of Hitler's Third Reich. A new study guide is included in each book.
Published April 1st 2005 by Tyndale House Publishers (first published June 1st 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Danzig Passage, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Danzig Passage

Natalie Vellacott
Oct 31, 2014 Natalie Vellacott rated it really liked it
I love this series. It really captures the reign of terror in Nazi Germany and the effect on individuals from all walks of life. The books are well researched and historically accurate. You will find them hard to put down so make sure you have enough money to buy the whole series before you start! Recommended..
Eric Bjerke
Mar 25, 2017 Eric Bjerke rated it really liked it
One day I will write a longer review of these books, this series. They are wonderful on so many levels. I highly recommend the series to anyone who wants to learn more about the lead-up to WWII and the war itself. It is not a "war" book, but more about lives and people and how they were affected. Very well written and researched.
Lisa
Sep 17, 2008 Lisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this installment of the series. It dealt a lot with children escaping the Nazi regime, and how families were torn apart by Hitler.

I truly love how much these books have opened my eyes to so many things that took place leading up to World War II. There were so many people that closed their hearts and minds to the things going on, but thank goodness there were the few who helped, even if it signed their own death warrant. Another great read!
Lauren Owen
Aug 26, 2012 Lauren Owen rated it really liked it
Danzig Passage by Brock and Bodie Thoene opens on Kristal Nacht, or the Night of Broken Glass, November 9, 1938. The Nazis imprisoned the father of Lori and Jamie Ibsen. The Nazis thought Karl Ibsen was a threat Nazi cause because he refused to turn Jews away or preach Nazi propaganda sermons. Lori and Jamie Ibsen are in hiding with Jacob and Mark Kalner in their old church, which they think the Nazis have forgotten. Thoene grips the readers when the Nazis make a surprise entrance to the church ...more
Gloria
May 21, 2012 Gloria rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Historical fiction fans; people interested in World War II
Ashley Perham
Dec 31, 2015 Ashley Perham rated it really liked it
I really, really liked this book. It's a 4.5 probably! The characters were wonderful, the tension and action and emotion was beautifully done and made it so I decided to stop reading this before bed.... (I'm a wimp at times, I know. But I'm usually the last one awake, so I get spooked...) My favorite "mini-story" was probably the Ibsen and Kalner kids in the church. As a pastor's kid, and a soon to be former pastor's kid, I really sympathized with the Ibsen kids in knowing the best hiding places ...more
Jeni Enjaian
Just when I was starting to really like these books the Thoene's had to go and add way too many characters to easily keep straight. They introduced three new interweaving story lines (which included at least two new characters each) which often overlapped in theme. (Two of them involved young children trying to get out of Germany to safety.) Even though this series is already long, I feel like this book would be much better served to have been split up into two (or even three) books.
The good par
Hannah
Oct 05, 2016 Hannah rated it it was amazing
I loved this book!!! It was possibly my favorite book so far by the Theone's. All the stories were really amazing. I especially loved Jacob and Lori's story (I can totally see them getting married someday;) as well as Alphie and others. It was really an exciting book and I really loved all the different POV's and how they wove together. The stories are really challenging of people who stood up for Jesus even when that meant tragic death and persecution. It also made me see how there is a big pic ...more
Sherri Warenik
Jun 04, 2013 Sherri Warenik rated it really liked it
I'm really enjoying this WWII series that I started right after I got the first 3 books at Christmas, but after reading 5 in a row, I need to take a break from them. They are wonderful historical novels, but I did have a hard time getting started with this one. There are a lot of characters, real political characters from the time and the fictional ones, with many different story lines going on simultaneously. These each have taken me quite a while to get through (I've only gotten through 5 sinc ...more
Becky
Jul 05, 2011 Becky rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: love-it
I am giving this one four stars simply because it took me so long to short out all the new characters. It was distracting to find myself, 200 pages into the story, still asking how the characters fit in. I understood the need for their introduction, and by the end I was invested in each of their stories. In fact, I read until 3:00 a.m. just to make sure the children were safe. Probably not the best book to have finished, my son's first night, at his very first week long Scout Camp. I wanted to m ...more
Margaret
Oct 08, 2016 Margaret rated it really liked it
I really didn't want to put this book down.I enjoyed the way so many stories converged into one. Still horrified by what happened. I was struck by the comment that when people wondered why they hadn't prepared to defend themselves against something like Kristalnacht, they came to the conclusion that there was no way they could because noone ever aniticipated something so horrible could actually happen. The story is still depressing in that we know there is no happy ending for so many people, and ...more
Monica
Sep 05, 2012 Monica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So, it took me forever to read this book. I didn't like all the pain and agony in that book and yet, what book is free of that? We're living life and there is pain everywhere. I thought I was going to have to say that I didn't actually like one of Thoene's books, but guess what happened? The last 10 chapters grabbed me and I read with gusto until I had finished. And now... I want to know what happened to them. I want to read the next book.

Maybe later.

Enough of Hitler for now.
Kathy
May 30, 2016 Kathy rated it really liked it
For the longest time, I was not liking this book as much as the others because there were too many story lines, making it hard to keep track of what was happening. There were also so many different characters that it took me quite a while to remember who was who without flipping back to previously read sections. However, I must say that as I neared the end, I was totally absorbed in it. The ending was well worth the initial discomfort!
Emo
Sep 19, 2010 Emo rated it it was amazing
This is my review for all of these books. They are set during WWII and have some gory (sp) true stories, but they're melded into the same characters. I love these books, but I haven't read them for years. They sit on my shelf tempting me. And, now that I've looked them up to rate them and tell other people to read them, I see that there are more. I am very excited!!!! I'll have to go and look for them. :)
Susan Tietjen
Mar 28, 2013 Susan Tietjen rated it really liked it
Heart wrenching. All young people should be required to read this before they graduate from high school . . . and maybe even younger if they're good readers. Children need to grow up to be responsible members of society, and American children especially need to know the price of freedom and the insanity of throwing it away. A fabulous series and a classic for all time.
Lois Courtney
Aug 17, 2014 Lois Courtney rated it liked it
This book was a slow start but really ramped up in the last 100 pages. But then it ended without resolving any of the story lines. I was so disappointed. I do have the next book on my shelf but was unable to start it right away. I am now ready to read book 6 knowing the story will continue right where is left off.
AlixJamie
Jun 12, 2010 AlixJamie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wendy Roberts
Dec 15, 2007 Wendy Roberts rated it liked it
The writers again introduce new characters while retaining the old. There is a very thrilling part where some Jewish children have to flee Berlin while being chased by the Gestapo...I really could hardly put the book down. The writers do a good job of providing a mostly happy ending, but don't sugarcoat the terrible things that were happening to people throughout Europe...truly chilling
Anita
Oct 01, 2014 Anita rated it really liked it
This book has more than the usual number of stories going at one time, and setting the stage for each one took some time. It took me a while to settle in, but once I did, I couldn't put it down. As usual for this series, the historical backdrop is compelling. Highly recommend, but start at the beginning and read the series in order!
Rachel M.
Mar 12, 2011 Rachel M. rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011
This was book 5 of 9 in the series. There are now approximately 60 characters, each with their own detailed story line and I'm dying to know what happens to all of them! Tonight when I listened to hear about Hitler's latest blunder on the nightly news I realized I've been reading a lot of WWII books lately. My brain is stuck in 1939.
Lynette
Feb 23, 2014 Lynette rated it really liked it
This is book five of the series about WW11. It's hard to stay this long in a world where Hitler exists, it's very emotionally draining. It has great character development though. I find myself needing these people in the story to find an escape to freedom. I have learned a bunch of history ... Always a good thing.
Heather Painter
Jan 21, 2015 Heather Painter rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another Winner in this Series!

I have been rereading the books in the Zion Covenant series for the first time in several years, and this book definitely ranks as one of my favorite books in the series! What I like best about this book is it intertwines the themes of good vs. evil and miracles. It was very easy to stay engaged in the book, from the beginning to the end.
Lillian
May 31, 2011 Lillian rated it really liked it
With this entire series, my heart goes out to the charachters. My heart is pounding with fear for them as I read through their frightful expierences. This book especially makes me think. Would I be able to hold true to the 'True' Word of God under torture or the torture & death of my friends and family?
Bethany
Mar 21, 2016 Bethany rated it it was amazing
This is a great historical fiction book set in the WWII era. Thoene does an amazing job with describing historical events, while bringing a fictional story alive. I really felt connected to the characters and couldn't put the book down. I love the WWII time period, and I learned a lot from this book. I would definitely recommend this book to others.
Lawrence
Jan 06, 2011 Lawrence rated it liked it
Well written. I've read the 4 books prior to this one also. Found myself emotionally drained because of the tension in the story. Will need to psyche myself up to read number 6, but believe it will be just as well done.
Sep 16, 2013 Laura rated it it was amazing
This series is phenomenal - very well researched World War II novels, heavy in detail but very engrossing. Some of the books are better than others but a definite must read if you like historical fiction.
Jolene
Mar 19, 2013 Jolene rated it it was amazing
Amazing series. So well researched and well written. I'm convinced that Bodie and Brock are the perfect team for writing books. It has everything that I love (music and European history) all in one. This series also just gets better with every book! Highly recommended.
Kathleen
Jan 20, 2009 Kathleen rated it liked it
Continuing the story of people in World War II. It is well written--easy to feel the tension and struggling of people living through these events. In this book, the "preaching" was a little too obvious. The plot was good and built to a good climax.
Anne Marie
Jan 04, 2009 Anne Marie rated it really liked it
Another great novel by Thoene that centers around WWII. With each book she writes, she expands on the lives of characters, some minor, from her previous books. My only criticism of this one is that she switches storylines too quickly and too often at times.
Sally
Jan 27, 2016 Sally rated it really liked it
I went straight onto book six after this! So now the two are all mixed together in my head. Will put my combined review at Warsaw Requiem.

• A House Divided (The Russians, #2)
  • Under Eastern Stars (Heart of India, #2)
  • Heirs of the Motherland (The Russians, #4)
  • The Honorable Imposter: 1620 (House of Winslow #1)
  • While Mortals Sleep (Songs in the Night #1)
BODIE AND BROCK THOENE (pronounced Tay-nee) have written over 45 works of historical fiction. These best sellers have sold more than 10 million copies and won eight ECPA Gold Medallion Awards.

Bodie began her writing career as a teen journalist for her local newspaper. Eventually her byline appeared in prestigious periodicals such as U.S. News and World Report, The American West, and The Saturday E
More about Bodie Thoene...

Zion Covenant (9 books)
  • Vienna Prelude (Zion Covenant, #1)
  • Prague Counterpoint (Zion Covenant, #2)
  • Munich Signature (Zion Covenant, #3)
  • Jerusalem Interlude (Zion Covenant, #4)
  • Warsaw Requiem (Zion Covenant, #6)
  • London Refrain (Zion Covenant, #7)
  • Paris Encore (Zion Covenant, #8)
  • Dunkirk Crescendo (Zion Covenant, #9)