Start by marking “The Key to Zion (Zion Chronicles #5)” as Want to Read:
The Key to Zion (Zion Chronicles #5)

The Key to Zion (Zion Chronicles #5)

4.39  ·  Rating Details ·  2,428 Ratings  ·  37 Reviews
The Zion Chronicles series covers the events surrounding Israel's statehood in 1948. Each book vividly portrays the intense struggle of the Jewish people in the aftermath of the Holocaust and the forces, within and without, which engulf the Middle East in conflict and controversy even today. Will there ever be peace in Zion? The Jewish people wonder as they stream into the ...more
Published April 1st 2006 by Tyndale House Publishers (first published January 3rd 1991)

To ask other readers questions about The Key to Zion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Key to Zion

Hannah
Jan 23, 2016 Hannah rated it it was amazing
Wow. This whole series was SO good! I learned so much about the Jewish people and Israel itself. This book was a hard one though. There was so much sadness and death, but through it all they trusted God and His promise for a Jewish homeland. I would definitely recommend this series! Can't wait to start reading more of her books!
Ed
I finally finished reading the complete Zion Chronicles. The whole story is in chronological order from the beginning to the end, outside chapter 1 in each volume that takes you back to the year 70 AD and gives you something that could relate to each volume. If you decide to read through this series, then I recommend you read it in order starting with volume 1 and ending with volume 5. If you jump around to reading them in a different haphazard way, you will not get the full meaning of each stor ...more
Christy
Sep 07, 2012 Christy rated it it was amazing
The Zion Chronicles series covers the events surrounding Israel's statehood in 1948. Each book vividly portrays the intense struggle of the Jewish people in the aftermath of the Holocaust and the forces, within and without, which engulf the Middle East in conflict and controversy even today. "Will there ever be peace in Zion?" The Jewish people wonder as they stream into t...more The Zion Chronicles series covers the events surrounding Israel's statehood in 1948. Each book vividly portrays the i ...more
Derek
Feb 22, 2012 Derek rated it it was amazing
The reason I chose 5 stars was because this series usually I walk past, but on a friends recommendation I picked up the first book. I was pleasantly surprised. I loved this book. So much that I bought the entire series in a nice collection. I loved the History and the fact that the characters and the events are actual events and real people that lived in these most trying times of faith and perseverance. I loved the fact that this book brought this History to life for me about the creation of th ...more
Emily
Feb 11, 2012 Emily rated it it was amazing
*the occasional spoiler*
Awesome sauce! i loved the end to the series! yay for Yehudit and Dov! i knew they were meant to be!
for three quarters of the book, i thought Kane and Crabtree were the same people! i was so confused until i realized i made a dumb mistake.
I'm so sad that Sarai died, but so glad that she took Gerhardt with her ... i loved how her lilac dress was called 'the garden'...a wonderful way to describe it! Sarai and Rachael making peace by finding the connection between them was
Kw
Feb 08, 2013 Kw rated it it was amazing
Fabulous, fabulous, fabulous series. Sorry to see it end. I have learned so much about Israel's struggle for statehood, and I now plan to try to find the preceeding series (World War II) and read them. (A friend lent me the 12 A.D. Chronicles series, and those got me hooked.)
These authors are talented and their books are inspirational, informative, educational and heart-warming. I can't recommend them too highly.
Mary Chambers
Aug 03, 2011 Mary Chambers rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love Bodie Thoene's books. She is one of my top favorite authors. I recommend her books to anyone interested in history or historical fiction. Her husband, Brock, does magnificent research on each book. Whether you read one of her series or a stand-alone book, they are great. I've never been disappointed by a Bodie Thoene book.
Jeri
Jan 07, 2017 Jeri rated it really liked it
In the last of these books, you remain pretty spellbound by the main characters as they fight in their own ways for the future of Israel. Not going to tell you more because if you'd read the first four in this saga, you are certainly are hooked to read this last one.
Enjoy.....
Claudia
I thoroughly enjoyed the series. I learned a lot about the cultural, historical, and political situations of the times.
Kirstin
I am truly sad for this series to end. It is very fast paced with all 5 books fitting into just 6 months. This was an extremely volatile time. The world was still trying to process the truths of the Holocaust and what should be done to help all the suriviors. A Jewish homeland in Palestine was a kind of dream and one that came true throughout this series.

These characters are wonderful and will get under your skin in such a great way. Rachel and Ellie were my favorites. Rachel went through so mu
Sandy
Mar 18, 2016 Sandy rated it really liked it
A couple of weeks ago, Jon and I finished listening to this book on CD, the fifth and final in the Zion Chronicles series. Each set of CDs was 11-13 hours, so multiply that by five and Bodie Thoene managed to write an intriguing historical fiction of the area of Jerusalem and Palestine in the 1940s that kept us wide awake for many long hours of driving together in the car. By the fourth novel, we so looked forward to what would happen next to our favorite heroes that we took advantage of every 5 ...more
Beth Goehringer
Feb 11, 2013 Beth Goehringer rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Historical fiction and History lovers
On a scale of 1 to 5, 'The Zion Chronicles' series is a TEN! Historically accurate fiction of the birth of modern Israel. Bravo!

I have just finished reading this series for the second time - this time out loud to my husband. It played in our imaginations like an intense, suspenseful video. Only the limitations of my voice kept us from speeding through to the end. On a scale of 1 to 5, The Zion Chronicles are a 10! A time capsule of history that made us feel like we were right there.

A blockbuste
Lady
May 26, 2014 Lady added it
This book made me realize how I don't like Ellie much and how little there is to her character. She's the focus of the first book but has very few scenes in any if the others (some for very specific reasons). But it seems like she's only capable of a handful of emotions: fear and stubbornness. She's constantly saying, "David, I'm scared." or freaking out about something and he has to calm her down or crying.

It's never fun to see the flaws in something beloved.

But the odd thing is, even though
Cinda
May 28, 2010 Cinda rated it it was ok
More of the same. I can't read it very long at one setting--too depressing. Occasionally I'm irritated over Thoene's preachiness. She seems to throw every bad thing she can think of at the main characters. There's nothing lacking in their bad luck. I don't think I'll keep these books; I'll never read them again.
Kait Palmer
Dec 03, 2012 Kait Palmer rated it really liked it
Great ending to a great series. Such incredible stories that I kept going online to check the validity of the history. Was amazed to find it historically accurate every time I checked. Continuing the series with The Zion Legacy series.
Toni Rae Halladay
Jun 21, 2008 Toni Rae Halladay rated it really liked it
Recommended to Toni Rae by: Janet Halladay
The Zion Chronicles are historical novels. I enjoyed reading these books and they helped me understand in some small measure the Israel/Palestine conflict even though the books favored Jewish statehood.
Kammie
Mar 07, 2014 Kammie rated it liked it
I couldn't believe how interconnected the spies, leaders, and players in the story come to a finality. This story wants you to hope for the best, but expect the worst! Loved the history of how Britain, U.S., Jews, and Arabs all have their interest in Jerusalem.
Alissa
Jan 04, 2016 Alissa rated it really liked it
Shelves: series, christian, 2016
A rousing finish to the series. Now I need to decide if I'm going to read the Jerusalem series which continues after statehood is declared. I really like these characters and was sad to see them go - lots of people grew in their faith since book 1.
Karen
Apr 03, 2009 Karen rated it liked it
Definitely the most spiritually rich book in the series.
Carolyn Tye
Jan 27, 2016 Carolyn Tye rated it it was amazing
This book did a good job tying all the characters and plots together. It is hard to read some of this history, but we need to know it.
Abby
Jul 28, 2011 Abby rated it it was amazing
good conclusion
Ris
Jun 24, 2012 Ris rated it liked it
3.5
Michelle
Jul 13, 2009 Michelle rated it it was amazing
My favorite one of the series!
Megan
Aug 04, 2008 Megan rated it really liked it
Shelves: 1998, fiction
With (above)
Terri Beede
Aug 04, 2008 Terri Beede rated it it was amazing
I love the history that is bound around this series; all five books cover the span of six months of Israeli history in 1948.
Sheridan
Mar 26, 2008 Sheridan rated it it was amazing
Historical fiction about Israel's struggle for statehood. Book 5 in a series.
Claudia
Jan 05, 2016 Claudia rated it it was amazing
The price of freedom was so very high. This book though fiction is so historically accurate, I felt I was reading the authentic documentary on these times.
Pam
Jan 20, 2016 Pam rated it it was amazing
#5 in Zion Chronicles series; skimmed over again in September 2012
Rick
Aug 06, 2008 Rick rated it really liked it
Their first two series set the standard for the entire genre IMHO.
Karen
Jan 05, 2012 Karen rated it it was amazing
Another informative and enjoyable series by the Thoenes.
2017 Reading Chal...: A book set where you want to visit 1 26 May 18, 2015 01:40PM
  • Dawn of Liberty (Secret of the Rose, #4)
  • Riders of the Silver Rim (Saga of the Sierras, #2)
  • Heirs of the Motherland (The Russians, #4)
  • The Gentle Rebel: 1775 (House of Winslow #4)
  • While Mortals Sleep (Songs in the Night #1)
BODIE AND BROCK THOENE (pronounced Tay-nee) have written over 45 works of historical fiction. These best sellers have sold more than 10 million copies and won eight ECPA Gold Medallion Awards.

Bodie began her writing career as a teen journalist for her local newspaper. Eventually her byline appeared in prestigious periodicals such as U.S. News and World Report, The American West, and The Saturday E
More about Bodie Thoene...

Zion Chronicles (5 books)
  • The Gates of Zion (Zion Chronicles #1)
  • A Daughter of Zion (Zion Chronicles #2)
  • The Return to Zion (Zion Chronicles #3)
  • A Light in Zion (Zion Chronicles #4)

“Being brave...is not always being unafraid. Maybe it's more like doing what you know is right even when you're too tired. Or scared. It's going on and doing it anyway...even when you think you can't take one more step.” 12 likes