Start by marking “The Return to Zion (Zion Chronicles #3)” as Want to Read:
The Return to Zion (Zion Chronicles #3)

The Return to Zion (Zion Chronicles #3)

4.38  ·  Rating Details ·  2,641 Ratings  ·  45 Reviews
The Zion Chronicles series covers the events surrounding Israel's statehood in 1948. Each book vividly portrays the intense struggle of the Jewish people in the aftermath of the Holocaust and the forces, within and without, which engulf the Middle East in conflict and controversy even today. Will there ever be peace in Zion? The Jewish people wonder as they stream into the ...more
Published April 1st 2006 by Tyndale House Publishers (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about The Return to Zion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Return to Zion

Ed
This is book 3 of the Zion Chronicles. In all three of the books, I shed tears and I laughed at the things that happen in this series. Each book relies on the one previous to it. A great story, and I never really realized the persecution that the Jews faced even after World War II. But like the book of Esther in the Bible, you can see a provident God in the working. I also like all the Scripture references used by the author and how they reflect on the things that took place in the story.
Charyla Olsen
Oct 22, 2011 Charyla Olsen rated it really liked it
This is my twelfth book by the Thoenes. I just can't put them down and I'm grateful for the history that I absorb in the process. The stories are fast-paced and intriguing and the characters are well-developed.
Monica
Aug 14, 2011 Monica rated it it was amazing
This is the middle book in the series, but overall one of the strongest middle books that I have read. At the end I found myself disgusted for not checking out the fourth one to read right away.
Grayce
Feb 10, 2017 Grayce rated it liked it
Done and done...Shaul is a great dog.
Kirstin
I think this may have been my favorite of this series so far. The characters are consistent with the other books so you come into with an established familiarity. There is a slight review of the big events of the last book, but I would recommend reading them in close succession to avoid forgetting something important. This story picks up exactly where Daughter of Zion left off. Rachel and Moshe are together in the Old City and everything is joyous. With so much conflict around them, they know i ...more
Lady
This one starts out beautifully but is hard to reread when you know the twists. (view spoiler) ...more
Jeni Enjaian
A review from my old blog...

I cannot get enough of this series. When I left off reading this book this morning I almost made myself late for work when I had to find out if one of the characters had actually died in such a tragic manner. She was okay.

The fact that the the Thoenes were able to draw me in so easily like that speaks to their amazing writing ability. I usually skim just a bit when I read books and especially when I try to finish a book in a single day. :D With this books one simply c
Derek
Feb 22, 2012 Derek rated it it was amazing
The reason I chose 5 stars was because this series usually I walk past, but on a friends recommendation I picked up the first book. I was pleasantly surprised. I loved this book. So much that I bought the entire series in a nice collection. I loved the History and the fact that the characters and the events are actual events and real people that lived in these most trying times of faith and perseverance. I loved the fact that this book brought this History to life for me about the creation of th ...more
Jeri
Jan 07, 2017 Jeri rated it really liked it
This is book three of the series, giving us the story of the settlement of Israel in 1948. The Old City of Jerusalem is under siege, the US arms embargo against the Jews is in effect but the Arabs have all the weapons and seemingly all the power -- bent on the destruction of the Jews. Ellie and David have now fallen in love and have married, briefly, before he leaves for the states to hire pilots and buy planes. And then we have Mosche, whom we met in book #1, who has now wed a survivor of the h ...more
Anna
Sep 11, 2016 Anna rated it it was amazing
This book starts right out with two marriages and only grows from there. David flies back to America to recruit an Air Force, Ellie goes into hiding after a bomb incident, Moshe is arrested, and Rachel is left alone to take care of Tikvah in the Old City. All four have an amazing adventure throughout this book, and all of them realize the depth to which they are committed to this cause.

My only complaints are that it left us hanging (which is a good thing, in a twisted way), and I would have lik
Alissa
Jan 04, 2016 Alissa rated it liked it
Shelves: series, historical, 2016
The one where everyone gets married and dies. This is more of an "interlude" type novel where some stuff has to happen to propel you to the action of the fourth book and I found it harder to get into. However it's a necessary bridge to cross to keep in sequence. It was disappointing that the real action doesn't start until the 4th book - but the 4th book starts immediately where this left off so be sure to have it on hand.
Deb
Feb 14, 2010 Deb rated it really liked it
This is the 3rd book in the Zion Chronicles series. I really like historical fiction including this series. These books are extremely interesting since they deal with the Jews in Palestine shortly after WWII. I plan to read the last 2 books as well. I recommend them to anyone who likes this type of fiction.
Beth Goehringer
Feb 14, 2013 Beth Goehringer rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: history buffs & lovers of historical fiction
Superb recreation of the siege of the old city of Jerusalem and Jewish strategies to liberate it including the initial creation of an air force and Ben Gurion's leadership prior to the 1948 creation of the state of Israel. Bodie Thoene's books are well researched and incredibly well written. Riveting.
Hanna-col
May 19, 2015 Hanna-col rated it really liked it
Definitely my favorite so far of the Zion Chronicles series. It took me a bit to get into book one, in book two I had to adjust to relationship changes between characters, but here in book three things seem to have smoothed out in my picture of the characters. I still love the way Mr. and Mrs. Thoene can weave so many POVs together in one story.
Hannah
Jan 23, 2016 Hannah rated it really liked it
Wow. The Return to Zion was definitely the most exciting book I've ever heard read (or read for that matter!) ! It happened in only a week or so, but was still thick and full of adventure and mystery! It was sad in some ways though because there was a lot of death and evil in certain people. ) : I really enjoyed it though and can't wait to hear the next book read!
G
Feb 05, 2011 G rated it really liked it
I am really loving the historical part of this series. The Jews trying to return to their homeland after WWII. A lot of Middle Eastern history and how the Arabs were trying to take over Jerusalem. A lot about the Old Testament promises to the Jews and waiting for the Messiah to save them from all the persecution and hatred. Very interesting, from LDS perspective.
Heather Painter
Mar 27, 2016 Heather Painter rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another Great Read!

I have truly enjoyed this series. What I find most interesting is the struggle of the Jews to establish the nation of Israel. This book was great, from start to finish! Part love story, part war novel, and part political intrigue, it kept me interested and engaged! I am looking forward to the next book in the series!
Coral
Feb 12, 2009 Coral rated it really liked it
This historical fiction series deals with Isreal becoming a nation in 1947-48. I read it about every 5 years. I'm sure it is biased toward Isreal (versus Palestinians), but enjoyed reading and understanding what was happening in a novel format.

I own this series and would be happy to lend them.
Carolyn Tye
Jan 21, 2016 Carolyn Tye rated it really liked it
This is a good historical novel. It is heartbreaking to know that these atrocities actually occured. While not a page turner, it did keep my interest better than the first two books in the series.
Wendy
Aug 05, 2011 Wendy rated it really liked it
I have to reread all the Zion books from the beginning again.
Partridge Public
Oct 16, 2007 Partridge Public added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: INS Tho
Shelves: inspirational
Thoene, Bodie PB
Margaret
May 07, 2014 Margaret rated it really liked it
I'm really enjoying this series. The books are very hard to put down.
Jim Moffett
Aug 12, 2013 Jim Moffett rated it really liked it
07-07
Jen
Nov 22, 2008 Jen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm over the cheesy, preachy, gushyness of it all (actually I'm just pushing it aside and not paying attention to it any more) and now I'm enjoying the story. Finally. Good stuff.
Twila
Mar 10, 2015 Twila rated it it was amazing
Best in this series so far. Love the historical fiction. Couldn't put it down.
Nov 17, 2008 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Great historical fiction. Love the Israeli history.
Victoria
Sep 06, 2009 Victoria rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: no one
Recommended to Victoria by: my School
i liked the Montgomery twist
Elizabeth Painter
Jun 13, 2016 Elizabeth Painter rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed all the twists and turns this book took. I love a book that is unpredictable and has a rich storyline.
Misty Moreno
Aug 31, 2012 Misty Moreno rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Amazing!!
Abby
Jul 28, 2011 Abby rated it it was amazing
the beginning might have been a little slow but after that...WOW!!!
  • Travail and Triumph (The Russians, #3)
  • Cannons of the Comstock (Saga of the Sierras #5)
  • Heirs of the Motherland (The Russians, #4)
  • Under Eastern Stars (Heart of India, #2)
  • The Saintly Buccaneer: 1777 (The House of Winslow)
BODIE AND BROCK THOENE (pronounced Tay-nee) have written over 45 works of historical fiction. These best sellers have sold more than 10 million copies and won eight ECPA Gold Medallion Awards.

Bodie began her writing career as a teen journalist for her local newspaper. Eventually her byline appeared in prestigious periodicals such as U.S. News and World Report, The American West, and The Saturday E
More about Bodie Thoene...

Zion Chronicles (5 books)
  • The Gates of Zion (Zion Chronicles #1)
  • A Daughter of Zion (Zion Chronicles #2)
  • A Light in Zion (Zion Chronicles #4)
  • The Key to Zion (Zion Chronicles #5)

“There is often grief that comes with loving, Moshe. But it is worth it.” 9 likes
“And when Yeshua walked this earth, He wept for us as well. Because He knew our battle is not against flesh and blood but against those powers of darkness who would destroy our lives for eternity.” 0 likes