Start by marking “Shiloh Autumn ” as Want to Read:
Shiloh Autumn

Shiloh Autumn

Who could have known their way of life would be blown away with the wind . . . in one day?

In the autumn of 1931, Birch and Trudy Tucker are proud of what they’ve built with their love and labor in Shiloh, Arkansas. The farm produces fine cotton. The pantry and cellar are full of food for the winter. Tom and Bobby are old enough to help with the family chores but young enou
Published July 1st 2006 by Tyndale House Publishers (first published October 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Shiloh Autumn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shiloh Autumn

Blood on the Snow by David        CookLiberty or Death by David        CookRebecca by Daphne du MaurierThe Legend of Sleepy Hollow by Bo HamptonThe Hound of the Baskervilles by Arthur Conan Doyle
Autumn Leaves
121st out of 158 books — 75 voters
The Secret of Pembrooke Park by Julie KlassenWith Every Breath by Elizabeth CamdenBeyond All Dreams by Elizabeth CamdenThe Princess Spy by Melanie DickersonDeluge by Lisa Tawn Bergren
Christian 2014-2015 Fiction You Can't Wait To Read!
78th out of 164 books — 81 voters

More lists with this book...

April
Sep 03, 2008 April rated it it was amazing
This book is actually the sequel to the Shiloh Legacy trilogy. I really like all of the books, but this is my favorite. I was very engaged by the characters and when I had finished the book, I felt depressed that I wouldn't be able to follow the lives of these people anymore. It is very well written and, although it probably sounds cliche, it made me laugh and cry. It's historical fiction, which is a genre that I really love, which made it even better.
Karen
Jun 10, 2012 Karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: american-history
The Great Depression is well, depressing, but I couldn’t put this book down because I just wanted something good to happen to the main characters.

Jeff figured by the measure of his own days that life was mostly like that – layer upon layer of happy and sad all mixed up with ordinary days.

The story had layers of happy and sad but the days were far from ordinary. In Arkansas 1931, the farmers are dealing with the Depression, a drought and a devastating drop in the price of cotton. The poverty and
Michelle
Sep 05, 2008 Michelle rated it it was amazing
Finished this book tonight. I love how it is based on the story of Bodie's grandparents. The spiritual truths are bold and well-stated. Great read! Encouraging and educational about times after the depression.
Dianne
Aug 11, 2012 Dianne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful descriptive look at the 1930's Arkansas farmers and what all they went through - right at the time of the depression, drought, dust storms and harsh land owners which all led to the move to CA.

Excellent read. Could not put it down!
Jessica
Oct 11, 2007 Jessica rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who loved the first three
I loved this series! I really liked this last one a lot. It was, in my opinion, a lot more emotional, but ends beautifully! I wish they'd write more in the series!!! :)
Kathy
Mar 02, 2009 Kathy rated it it was amazing
I read this in one sitting (or should I say one laying), all 470 pages. It was wonderful. A continuation of the Shiloh Legacy series.
Vicki
Sep 07, 2009 Vicki rated it it was amazing
I have read a lot of the Thoene books and have not found one I haven't loved. They are historical novels based in many different places and I have learned a lot about history from them. Great read!
Margaret Fraleigh
Excellent book - couldn't put it down

Highly recommended

Julie Ritter
Nov 18, 2008 Julie Ritter rated it really liked it
Great book. Really appropriate for our economic times. Slow at times but quality literature.
Ginny
Sep 08, 2011 Ginny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult, christian
Excellent read on the effects of the Great Deppression on the people of the Arkansas mountains.
Jomariem
Jan 17, 2016 Jomariem rated it really liked it
This is really an enjoyable, riveting read, filled with a lot of drama and some sadness, but hope as well, even though things gradually go from bad to worse as the depression increases, cotton prices fall and rich greedy landowners take everything from those who have very little. Tragedy strikes the Tucker family, but they stick together and hold onto their faith, just as the Canfields do. I enjoyed this book, and feel that there should be at least ONE more book to follow this one. There are ...more
Robyn Hall
Aug 13, 2016 Robyn Hall rated it liked it
Recommended to Robyn by: Garden Park book club
I liked this story but it seemed too long. I liked the historical part of these families and their struggles in 1930's Arkansas. The Washington DC riot between the veterans and the military were unbelievable! There are things in our history that are so sad and cruel.

3 favorite quotes:

Trudy: "Books denied those things she saw close up and felt and knew to be true about her life. Black print on white paper gave a voice to her inner self, asked questions she had not known to ask, held up a mirror t
Hope
I love this book. I think that's a good way to start out... :)

This is a stand-alone novel that is also a "sequel" to the Shiloh Legacy Series (or Trilogy...whichever you prefer).

Anyway, I loved it...but I have to say that I struggled through it. Not because it wasn't interesting, but because I didn't really have time for it this summer, working five days a week and all. Luckily I did find enough time to get through it before the summer was entirely spent.
Shiloh Autumn covers such a broad range
Jeni Enjaian
This one sank back into predictability. Only the avoidance of blatant clichés kept me reading .(That and the fact that I've read the rest of the series...why stop now?)
The scope of the narrative shrunk even more with the early departure of Max and Davey Meyer, leaving only Birch, Trudy and Jefferson as original characters from the first book. (Poor Ellis Warne, his character gets the short end of the stick in these books.)
It all made sense though when I read the author's post script and realized
Sheila Thonen
Oct 13, 2015 Sheila Thonen rated it it was amazing
This magnificent historical fiction book is one of the best stand alone novels I've ever read! The tragedy of struggling through the great depression is told in such a way that my heart breaks for each and every family of that era. Bodie and Brock bring to life the gut wrenching heartbreak of the evil of "lack" and yet....sigh....something we do not get to experience in our modern generation (with 24 hour grocers,express medical facilities) is the genuine goodness, love, and never-ending ...more
AlixJamie
Sep 28, 2012 AlixJamie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Barry
May 25, 2012 Barry added it
Having been reared by my grandmother, a woman who was just beginning to raise a family in the midst of the Great Depression and happy to share her own stories, this book cerainly rang true. Forget about the wealthy businessmen jumping from windows, the middle class workers selling apples to survive. This story deals with the impact of the collapse of the cotton market in the south in 1931, and the toll upon the denizens of Shiloh, Arkansas. The characters are real , the stories are captivating. ...more
Sasha (whispersofthesilentwind)
“Sometime the only way t' keep goin' is t' keep goin'.”

I didn't know that this was a sequel to The Shiloh Legacy trilogy or else I might had read it sooner. This book wasn't a disappointment but it wasn't a really great book in my opinion. I love Thoene as an author but I don't think this was her best work. I did enjoy that it was based on real people and real events. I found that to be very neat.

This book reminded me of the Grapes of Wrath, perhaps because it takes place in the 1930's or pe
Kw
Jun 12, 2013 Kw rated it really liked it
Families struggling with drought, the Great Depression, and evil extortionists in 1931-32. Heartbreaking to think so many endured so much, and that those in power money-wise could be so cruel and so greedy.

The march of World War I veterans on Washington, asking that their bonus be paid then instead of in 1946 (for goodness' sakes!) adds more pathos. I don't want to spoil it for anyone, but if you read this (and you should read Anything the Thoene's write!), you will be appalled at the hatred and
Jackie
Jan 04, 2010 Jackie rated it really liked it
What a hard and terrible time the people of this country had during the depression. Makes me grateful for all that I have, and reminds me that it can all change in a day.
I loved the characters in this book, even the mean and evil Missus Jensen. She reminded me of Mrs. Olsen on "Little House", only worse!
I didn't realize this book is part of a series, but the authors do a good job of letting the book stand on it's own. I never felt confused or lost, and, as with some series, they didn't restate a
Lydia
Oct 13, 2012 Lydia rated it really liked it
This is a very compelling story which in fact I did not enjoy! This has to be on of the most heart wrenching stories I've ever read! Knowing it is based on real people...I cried and the story stayed with me for a long time. I give 4 stars because it is so well written, but I did not enjoy the story and only wished I could somehow change what happened!! But it is history and lives did in the end triumph over the tragedy.
Kat
Jun 14, 2008 Kat rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christian
Wow! Awesome book! A great way to wrap up the Shiloh Legacy books. I can't believe how hard people in the town of Shiloh had it yet not too far away in a neighbor city people were flourishing and taking advantage of the people of Shiloh. And yet the people in Shiloh held onto their dignity through all that. Amazing.
Biggest thing learned.....that our tough financial times are way easier than the tough times these people faced.
Elaine
Jun 07, 2009 Elaine rated it really liked it
If you ever want to slog through the depression read this book or if you don't have a clue what it was like to live in Arkanses in the early 30's read this book. The characters Trudy and Birch are in the Shiloh Legacy series by this author, but this book can stand alone. Once again, it is their unwavering faith that sees them through one day at a time. I enjoyed this book, but hard to read about their circumstances. The characters are based on the grandparents of the author.
Sue
A sequel to the Shiloh trilogy by Bodie Thoene, this is also complete in itself although it makes more sense when read as a sequel. Set in the early 1930s, as the American economy collapses, with a Christian message and a good picture of everyday life for small-town people.

Interesting; gripping in places, but in a way I wish I hadn't read it after the trilogy as there were some rather upsetting subplots.
Lorraine Besmer
Mar 03, 2014 Lorraine Besmer rated it it was amazing
This is the first book I have read by Brodie and Brock Thoene. It will not be the last! I absolutely loved the story as well as the history behind the book. (Yes I looked up an event mentioned in the book on the Internet and learned some American History of which I was not aware!) I laughed, cried and enjoyed the story of the poor people from Oklahoma in the 1930's.
Aldafan
Aug 13, 2009 Aldafan rated it did not like it
This is the 4th and final book of the Shiloh series that Gertrude gave me. It ranks up there with Angela's Ashes for depressing. Nothing happy happens until almost the last page. And then it still doesn't feel finished. Plus we never learn what happened to the other wo guys from the first three books.
Universitybabe
May 05, 2008 Universitybabe rated it liked it
A good read but I almost closed it as it didn't keep me rivited like the other three. I only kept reading because the characters were so real to me from the other books. By the end I was captured and for whatever reason shed a few tears so I still reccommend it but be for warned the beginning is pretty slow.
Mary
Sep 03, 2015 Mary rated it really liked it
Enjoyed the writing of this book. A fairly quick read that tells the story of an Arkansas family during depression years. Faith and friends' support helps the Tuckers through some terrible struggles.
Amy
Jan 10, 2009 Amy rated it really liked it
This is a book that is connected to the three book Shiloh Series, which explores the 1920s from the point of view of those living in New York and in the South as well. Again, I learned a ton from this Christian author about that time period.
Cheryl
Aug 07, 2011 Cheryl rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
book 4 of the shiloh legacy this series takes place before the zion chronicles but does not need to be read before the chronicles. this series deals with some of the parents of characters you will meet in the other series
  • Riders of the Silver Rim (Saga of the Sierras, #2)
  • Travail and Triumph (The Russians, #3)
  • Titus: A Comrade of the Cross
  • Self Raised
  • Ester Ried
  • Sword of Truth
BODIE AND BROCK THOENE (pronounced Tay-nee) have written over 45 works of historical fiction. These best sellers have sold more than 10 million copies and won eight ECPA Gold Medallion Awards.

Bodie began her writing career as a teen journalist for her local newspaper. Eventually her byline appeared in prestigious periodicals such as U.S. News and World Report, The American West, and The Saturday E
More about Bodie Thoene...

“It always is harder to be left behind than to be the one to go...” 335 likes