Start by marking “Dunkirk Crescendo (Zion Covenant, #9)” as Want to Read:
Dunkirk Crescendo (Zion Covenant, #9)

Dunkirk Crescendo (Zion Covenant #9)

4.32  ·  Rating Details  ·  938 Ratings  ·  43 Reviews
As spring 1940 unfolds in Paris, war is inevitble. AP journalist Josephine Marlow is asked to undertake a dangerous journey back into the borders of the reich--just when the Fuhrer is gathering his forces for another invasion. If she is successful, a child will live. If not, he will die. And many other children, too.

French colonel Andre Chardon knows that the undefeated Fu
Published July 1st 2005 by Tyndale House Publishers (first published June 20th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Dunkirk Crescendo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dunkirk Crescendo

Natalie Vellacott
Mar 21, 2016 Natalie Vellacott rated it really liked it
I love this series. It really captures the reign of terror in Nazi Germany and the effect on individuals from all walks of life. The books are well researched and historically accurate. You will find them hard to put down so make sure you have enough money to buy the whole series before you start! Recommended..
Ellison
Nov 18, 2012 Ellison rated it liked it
Last book in the series and no resolution with the characters who started the series?? Come on! Nine books - nine very good, informative, moving books. And I find out that to get the rest of the story on many of the main characters, I have to embark on another long series. Whew...that is very frustrating, given I've already invested so many hours, but I think I'll do it because it really is a fantastic series through which I've learned a lot about the build up to WW 2 and the settlement of Israe ...more
Colleen Atherton
Feb 17, 2011 Colleen Atherton rated it it was amazing
The Zion covenant series is one of the best historical fiction series on pre-WWII Germany and Europe I have ever read. When I read historical fiction, I often look up information that is given in the story to check for accuracy. You will not be disappointed in these books if you like historical fiction that is researched and accurate.
Gloria
May 07, 2014 Gloria rated it really liked it
The very last book in the series ends with the evacuation of soldiers from Dunkirk. Lots of action. The plot still follows characters we have known in the prior books. It is revealed why certain characters were introduced in the second book.

It is a quite thrilling story, but that is because Germany began the invasion - instead of WAITING for it and French pride in the Maginot Line. The WAITING was known as the Phony War. In this book, the Germany army is tearing through the Netherlands, Belgium
Jeni Enjaian
Like two other books that I reviewed recently, I waited too long to write this review. I think I'll stick with what I've said about the other two books in the final trio of this series. It's good but the character development feels a bit stunted, most likely because this book was originally meant to be the last third of a single book, not a stand alone book. There are a few too many characters in my opinion but I enjoyed reading about each of them. I think the events in this book could have made ...more
Lauren Owen
Oct 10, 2012 Lauren Owen rated it really liked it
Dunkirk Crescendo by Brock and Bodie Thoene is yet another captivating novel by the couple. At the beginning of the story, Josephine Marlow found herself able to admit that she is in love with Andre Chardon. He finally spoke openly of his daughter, Juliette, whom he had never met. As the threats of war increased in Luxembourg Andre’s desperation to get his daughter into safety likewise heightened, even if it meant going through her obstinate grandfather. Mr. Snow resented Andre strongly after A ...more
Heather Painter
A Great End to a Wonderful Series!

I have truly enjoyed rereading this series, and this book is no exception! This book chronicles the amazing rescue of hundreds of thousands of English and French soldiers from the Germans at Dunkirk. The battle scenes are very exciting, and dramatic. Plus, it was nice to see how the stories of some of the characters finally resolved. A great story!
Wendy Parnell
Dec 07, 2014 Wendy Parnell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I completely enjoyed this book as much as all the rest. Would recommend it to everyone. If you have not read the others you have missed out on a great educational series about the history of WWII

I would recommend this book to everyone. If you have not read the rest of the series you have missed a great opportunity to learn about the second world war.
Bethany
Mar 21, 2016 Bethany rated it it was amazing
I love this series. This is a great historical fiction book set in the WWII era. Thoene does an amazing job with describing historical events, while bringing a fictional story alive. It is well researched and historically accurate. I really felt connected to the characters and couldn't put the book down. I would definitely recommend this book to others.
Barbara
Brock and Bodie Thoene always produce a pleasing mix of Christian fiction and historical fact. This is a "director's cut" which contains portions of their previous book, "Twilight of Courage," along with new material. The entire Zion Covenant series is excellent; this particular book does have a little bit more military description and a little less personal storyline about each character. The descriptions of WW II are excellent and, in general, very exciting, but there are a couple of points wh ...more
Jerry
Mar 02, 2012 Jerry rated it liked it
The Thoenes are known for their amazing historical fiction works, but this is not one of them. Although the writing was good and the story engaging--as always--the connection with the first six volumes, as well as the rest of the series, seemed a bit forced, not to mention tacked-on. Regardless, Dunkirk Crescendo is a enjoyable read, but it's still not what fans have come to expect from the Thoenes.
Pam
Feb 09, 2016 Pam rated it liked it
Last and final book (#9) of the Zion Covenant series...lots of air battles and ground battles--it was just okay :( Missed Bodie's influence.
Diana
Aug 23, 2010 Diana rated it liked it
This was vol. 9 in the series on WWII. I loved the series, but I liked this book the least for two reasons. It didn't finish the war (it stopped before they even took over Paris), and it was a lot more war & fighting without as much focus on other stories going on during this time.

I still can't believe I read 9 volumes and they didn't finish WWII, I want to ask them why they stopped.
Carmen
May 02, 2013 Carmen rated it really liked it
It was lots of war and conflicts with the Germans having the advantage most of the time. It was hard to imagine all the bad things that happened. It showed the strength of the people and their loyalty to their country. It was sad and hard to read sometimes because the dates and places were true. This one was not as good as the other 8 of the Zion Covenant books.
Amy
Aug 21, 2008 Amy rated it really liked it
I have LOVED this whole series! Each book adds an additional layer to the previous ones and draws you into the historical events that otherwise might seem boring if not woven with intriguing characters. If you enjoy reading about the Holocaust and don't tire of learning - pick up this series and enter this terrifying world of fact meeting fiction.
Kathleen
May 21, 2009 Kathleen rated it liked it
The tone of this book was very different from the rest of the series. It was written more from the battle scenes and less from personal stories. It was, therefore, not as compelling. It was the end of the series but I feel that there is not closure because of all the story lines that were unconcluded.
Olivia
Oct 29, 2012 Olivia rated it it was ok

Had to read it just to finish off the series but I was pretty disappointed in this book overall. There wasn't much storyline, the characters were all new from within the last 3 books, and it just didn't seem to tie up loose ends very well considering it was the last of a 9 book series.
Tammy
Aug 05, 2014 Tammy rated it did not like it
Felicia
Nov 21, 2009 Felicia rated it liked it
Overall I give the series 3 stars. The quality of the writing, as well as the story lines and character development, differed from book to book and sometimes from chapter to chapter. It was a good read to kill the time, but definitely not great literature.
Jeannie Rawlins
Jan 06, 2010 Jeannie Rawlins rated it liked it
I really liked the series but I'm left hanging. There is no conclusion on some of the charactors. I feel like I'm left in supense and I want to know what happens next. Are there other books that I just don't know about? Is there a book 10?
Roses2u
May 03, 2010 Roses2u rated it liked it
Loved the series. I don't remember this specific book, but I do remember that the earlier books in the series of nine were better and more in depth than the latter ones. I'd give the series a 4 out of 5 star rating.
Beverley McPherson
Jul 16, 2012 Beverley McPherson rated it really liked it
I like the book .However, it was not one of my favorite. The war was well represented with its colorful fighting. I missed some of my favorite characters. I hope I will learn of their fate in the next series.
Jen Stewart
Nov 30, 2011 Jen Stewart rated it it was amazing
I read this whole series several years ago. Each book was so well written. I was captivated by the characters, their stories and struggles. It was this series that really peaked by love for historical fiction.
Kimberly
May 21, 2014 Kimberly rated it it was amazing
Loved the book but wish there had been more to the series as it ended just as WW1 gained intensity and so many characters were still in the middle of what could be pivotal roles.
Rachel
Aug 30, 2010 Rachel rated it it was ok
Least favorite of the series. I didn't like that new characters were still being introduced. I thought this one was slow and very long. Maybe because I wasn't into it.
Jim Mcmahan
Mar 10, 2013 Jim Mcmahan rated it really liked it
I just finished the series of 9 books for the second time and thoroughly enjoyed them all. Great way to learn history through the eyes of characters. I love historical fiction.
Becki
Aug 31, 2009 Becki rated it really liked it
I liked it, of course, but it seemed to end too fast. I still have questions about some of the characters. I hope they'll be answered in the Zion Chronicles series.
Gracee
What an AWESOME series... 9 books in the Zion Covenant. If world history was taught in this form..I'd be a history major. Love the characters, love the books.
Kasia
Aug 30, 2010 Kasia rated it really liked it
I really like this series, it is a very good historical novel it helped me to think and remember the people who witnessed Hitler's "twisted mind".
Jenny
Dec 28, 2012 Jenny rated it liked it
I found there were many war scenes which I skipped through to get to the characters. I did not enjoy this as much as the other books in the series.
  • Dawn of Liberty (Secret of the Rose, #4)
  • The Man from Shadow Ridge (Saga of the Sierras, #1)
  • The Ramparts of Heaven
  • Kingscote (Heart of India #3)
  • The Colonists (American Family Portrait #2)
BODIE AND BROCK THOENE (pronounced Tay-nee) have written over 45 works of historical fiction. These best sellers have sold more than 10 million copies and won eight ECPA Gold Medallion Awards.

Bodie began her writing career as a teen journalist for her local newspaper. Eventually her byline appeared in prestigious periodicals such as U.S. News and World Report, The American West, and The Saturday E
More about Bodie Thoene...

Zion Covenant (9 books)
  • Vienna Prelude (Zion Covenant, #1)
  • Prague Counterpoint (Zion Covenant, #2)
  • Munich Signature (Zion Covenant, #3)
  • Jerusalem Interlude (Zion Covenant, #4)
  • Danzig Passage (Zion Covenant, #5)
  • Warsaw Requiem (Zion Covenant, #6)
  • London Refrain (Zion Covenant, #7)
  • Paris Encore (Zion Covenant, #8)