Start by marking “Dunkirk Crescendo” as Want to Read:
Dunkirk Crescendo

Dunkirk Crescendo (Zion Covenant #9)

4.3 of 5 stars 4.30  ·  rating details  ·  752 ratings  ·  39 reviews
As spring 1940 unfolds in Paris, war is inevitble. AP journalist Josephine Marlow is asked to undertake a dangerous journey back into the borders of the reich--just when the Fuhrer is gathering his forces for another invasion. If she is successful, a child will live. If not, he will die. And many other children, too.

French colonel Andre Chardon knows that the undefeated Fu
Published July 1st 2005 by Tyndale House Publishers (first published June 20th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Dunkirk Crescendo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dunkirk Crescendo

Redeeming Love by Francine RiversA Voice in the Wind by Francine RiversAn Echo in the Darkness by Francine RiversAs Sure as the Dawn by Francine RiversThe Silent Governess by Julie Klassen
Best Christian Historical Fiction
458th out of 827 books — 894 voters
The Book Thief by Markus ZusakThe Diary of a Young Girl by Anne FrankThe Luck of the Weissensteiners by Christoph FischerThe Hiding Place by Corrie ten BoomNight by Elie Wiesel
A WWII Reading List
37th out of 196 books — 89 voters

More lists with this book...

Ellison
Last book in the series and no resolution with the characters who started the series?? Come on! Nine books - nine very good, informative, moving books. And I find out that to get the rest of the story on many of the main characters, I have to embark on another long series. Whew...that is very frustrating, given I've already invested so many hours, but I think I'll do it because it really is a fantastic series through which I've learned a lot about the build up to WW 2 and the settlement of Israe ...more
Colleen Atherton
The Zion covenant series is one of the best historical fiction series on pre-WWII Germany and Europe I have ever read. When I read historical fiction, I often look up information that is given in the story to check for accuracy. You will not be disappointed in these books if you like historical fiction that is researched and accurate.
Gloria
The very last book in the series ends with the evacuation of soldiers from Dunkirk. Lots of action. The plot still follows characters we have known in the prior books. It is revealed why certain characters were introduced in the second book.

It is a quite thrilling story, but that is because Germany began the invasion - instead of WAITING for it and French pride in the Maginot Line. The WAITING was known as the Phony War. In this book, the Germany army is tearing through the Netherlands, Belgium
Jeni Enjaian
Like two other books that I reviewed recently, I waited too long to write this review. I think I'll stick with what I've said about the other two books in the final trio of this series. It's good but the character development feels a bit stunted, most likely because this book was originally meant to be the last third of a single book, not a stand alone book. There are a few too many characters in my opinion but I enjoyed reading about each of them. I think the events in this book could have made ...more
Lauren Owen
Dunkirk Crescendo by Brock and Bodie Thoene is yet another captivating novel by the couple. At the beginning of the story, Josephine Marlow found herself able to admit that she is in love with Andre Chardon. He finally spoke openly of his daughter, Juliette, whom he had never met. As the threats of war increased in Luxembourg Andre’s desperation to get his daughter into safety likewise heightened, even if it meant going through her obstinate grandfather. Mr. Snow resented Andre strongly after A ...more
Wendy Parnell
I completely enjoyed this book as much as all the rest. Would recommend it to everyone. If you have not read the others you have missed out on a great educational series about the history of WWII

I would recommend this book to everyone. If you have not read the rest of the series you have missed a great opportunity to learn about the second world war.
Barbara
Brock and Bodie Thoene always produce a pleasing mix of Christian fiction and historical fact. This is a "director's cut" which contains portions of their previous book, "Twilight of Courage," along with new material. The entire Zion Covenant series is excellent; this particular book does have a little bit more military description and a little less personal storyline about each character. The descriptions of WW II are excellent and, in general, very exciting, but there are a couple of points wh ...more
Jerry
The Thoenes are known for their amazing historical fiction works, but this is not one of them. Although the writing was good and the story engaging--as always--the connection with the first six volumes, as well as the rest of the series, seemed a bit forced, not to mention tacked-on. Regardless, Dunkirk Crescendo is a enjoyable read, but it's still not what fans have come to expect from the Thoenes.
Diana
This was vol. 9 in the series on WWII. I loved the series, but I liked this book the least for two reasons. It didn't finish the war (it stopped before they even took over Paris), and it was a lot more war & fighting without as much focus on other stories going on during this time.

I still can't believe I read 9 volumes and they didn't finish WWII, I want to ask them why they stopped.
Carmen
It was lots of war and conflicts with the Germans having the advantage most of the time. It was hard to imagine all the bad things that happened. It showed the strength of the people and their loyalty to their country. It was sad and hard to read sometimes because the dates and places were true. This one was not as good as the other 8 of the Zion Covenant books.
Amy
I have LOVED this whole series! Each book adds an additional layer to the previous ones and draws you into the historical events that otherwise might seem boring if not woven with intriguing characters. If you enjoy reading about the Holocaust and don't tire of learning - pick up this series and enter this terrifying world of fact meeting fiction.
Kathleen
The tone of this book was very different from the rest of the series. It was written more from the battle scenes and less from personal stories. It was, therefore, not as compelling. It was the end of the series but I feel that there is not closure because of all the story lines that were unconcluded.
Olivia

Had to read it just to finish off the series but I was pretty disappointed in this book overall. There wasn't much storyline, the characters were all new from within the last 3 books, and it just didn't seem to tie up loose ends very well considering it was the last of a 9 book series.
Tammy
Felicia
Overall I give the series 3 stars. The quality of the writing, as well as the story lines and character development, differed from book to book and sometimes from chapter to chapter. It was a good read to kill the time, but definitely not great literature.
Jeannie Rawlins
I really liked the series but I'm left hanging. There is no conclusion on some of the charactors. I feel like I'm left in supense and I want to know what happens next. Are there other books that I just don't know about? Is there a book 10?
Roses2u
Loved the series. I don't remember this specific book, but I do remember that the earlier books in the series of nine were better and more in depth than the latter ones. I'd give the series a 4 out of 5 star rating.
Beverley McPherson
I like the book .However, it was not one of my favorite. The war was well represented with its colorful fighting. I missed some of my favorite characters. I hope I will learn of their fate in the next series.
Jen Stewart
I read this whole series several years ago. Each book was so well written. I was captivated by the characters, their stories and struggles. It was this series that really peaked by love for historical fiction.
Kimberly
Loved the book but wish there had been more to the series as it ended just as WW1 gained intensity and so many characters were still in the middle of what could be pivotal roles.
Rachel
Least favorite of the series. I didn't like that new characters were still being introduced. I thought this one was slow and very long. Maybe because I wasn't into it.
Jim Mcmahan
I just finished the series of 9 books for the second time and thoroughly enjoyed them all. Great way to learn history through the eyes of characters. I love historical fiction.
Becki
I liked it, of course, but it seemed to end too fast. I still have questions about some of the characters. I hope they'll be answered in the Zion Chronicles series.
Gracee
What an AWESOME series... 9 books in the Zion Covenant. If world history was taught in this form..I'd be a history major. Love the characters, love the books.
Kasia
I really like this series, it is a very good historical novel it helped me to think and remember the people who witnessed Hitler's "twisted mind".
Jenny
I found there were many war scenes which I skipped through to get to the characters. I did not enjoy this as much as the other books in the series.
Wendy
I enjoyed this series, quite long though. I was glad I listened to most of them on CD while I quilted, more entertaining that way.
Cassie
The last few books focus on battles and don't even mention characters from the previous books. Wish they had stayed on theme.
Ebookwormy
The consistency of the Thoene writing team is amazing. Another excellent work. If you've never read anything by them, Start.
Missy
I thought this was the best out of the three in this series. It was a great read.
  • The Eleventh Hour (Secret of the Rose #1)
  • While Mortals Sleep
  • The Hadassah Covenant
  • The Man from Shadow Ridge (Saga of the Sierras, #1)
  • White Nights, Red Morning (The Russians, #6)
  • The Shield of Honor (Wakefield Dynasty #3)
BODIE AND BROCK THOENE (pronounced Tay-nee) have written over 45 works of historical fiction. These best sellers have sold more than 10 million copies and won eight ECPA Gold Medallion Awards.

Bodie began her writing career as a teen journalist for her local newspaper. Eventually her byline appeared in prestigious periodicals such as U.S. News and World Report, The American West, and The Saturday E
More about Bodie Thoene...
Vienna Prelude (Zion Covenant, #1) Munich Signature (Zion Covenant, #3) Prague Counterpoint (Zion Covenant, #2) Jerusalem Interlude (Zion Covenant, #4) Danzig Passage (Zion Covenant, #5)