Start by marking “Fifth Seal (A.D. Chronicles #5)” as Want to Read:
Fifth Seal (A.D. Chronicles #5)

Fifth Seal (A.D. Chronicles #5)

The little town of Nazareth is a long way from Jerusalem and King Herod's evil clutches. Yet is anywhere in Judea far enough?
Gossip swirls around the newlyweds Mary and Yosef. It is far too soon for her womb to carry the growing baby, neighbors say. Yet too much is at stake for Yosef to reveal the truth. He vows to protect Mary and the baby with his life, but how can he p
Published September 11th 2006 by Tyndale House Publishers (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Fifth Seal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fifth Seal

Sheila
Aug 18, 2012 Sheila rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it. I really enjoyed this one. There were some parts that made me cry. I actually teared up when baby Yeshua was born. I am looking forward to the next one. However, I know my history and I know that the next book will be about Herod and his orders to kill all the boys under the age of two. Not really looking forward to that part, but will read the book. This is a great series. I have laughed, smiled, thought, and cried through all of them. They are GREAT books. Thank you so much to my fri ...more
Anne
Apr 30, 2013 Anne rated it liked it
It took quite a while for me to finish this installment. Was that perhaps because the story is so well-known? Was it because I couldn't get scenes from THE NATIVITY out of my head? Actually I think it was the star-gazing and visits from Joseph the Dreamer. Just wasn't as riveting as the stories in the first three books. I am moving on to THE SIXTH COVENANT
Evan
Jun 15, 2009 Evan rated it liked it
Shelves: christian
The first book of this series was definately the best. after that... they are still good but then seem to go downhill. this one is very slow, so i never really got into it. a little bit of a let down after the brilliance of the first 3, but i still think that the Thoene's are amazing authors.
Jerry
Oct 21, 2016 Jerry rated it really liked it
Just like the previous book, this is an excellent retelling of one of the Bible's best-loved stories.
Meadow Frisbie
Mar 08, 2009 Meadow Frisbie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: jewish
Best series ever
Anne
Mar 06, 2017 Anne rated it it was amazing
I love how this book draws me in. Never in my life has a work of fiction drawn me to such a profound sense of worship. I love how reading this story of the birth of Christ helps me to understand to a new depth, the Biblical account of the first Christmas and the context of history He was born into. This series is just so wonderful!
Dyana
Feb 09, 2014 Dyana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the fifth in the series and continues the flashback of the previous book. It occurs during the time of Mary's pregnancy and culminates in Jesus's birth. In this historical fiction we get a glimpse into what Mary and Joseph might have been thinking and feeling. It is far too soon for Mary to be showing after their recent marriage and the townspeople are shunning her along with their vicious gossip. Mary and Joseph cannot reveal the truth of her conception, and Joseph vows to protect her a ...more
Amanda
Feb 05, 2010 Amanda rated it really liked it
"Here he comes! Such shoulders. He'll carry his father's beams, I warrant. A strong one he'll be. Push! No wonder you had such a hard time. There you go, Mary! Look at those big hands. Must be a boy with such hands. They're wide-open. See? He's reaching out to the world. Once more - yes, that's it! Now push. Harder. One more time! And...there! Yes! A son, Mary! A baby boy!"

You know what blows my mind? Jesus' birth. I hadn't really ever thought about the details surrounding the entire ordeal unti
Todd Coburn
Oct 17, 2016 Todd Coburn rated it it was amazing
The entire AD Chronicles series, starting with book 1, is some of the best writing I've encountered, both in the spiritual and secular realms. Bodie's insights into Scripture are consistently deep, often deeper than what I have seen from many pastors and teachers of God's Word. The fictional details that she creates to flesh out the details of the story not recorded in Scripture seem insightful and accurate to a surprising degree. I highly recommend this book and series as the pinnacle of Bodie ...more
Lizzy
Jul 12, 2008 Lizzy rated it it was amazing
This ends with the birth of Jesus and I had tears in my eyes. These are powerful authors.

I learned that Israel is symbolized by the constellation, Pisces, fish. They call it The Two Fish. In Hebrew the exact words are; "May they increase abundantly like fish" Within the constellation are 2 stars, 2 fish, that symbolize the blessing of Israel. The first represents Mannasseh, the elder brother, the physical descendants of the seed of Abraham. The second for Ephraim, the younger, the Gentiles, who
Mark Baker
Mar 19, 2014 Mark Baker rated it liked it
Shelves: 2006
Mary and Joseph deal with the fallout of getting married despite the fact that Mary is pregnant. However, with the political forces in play, what danger might they face. This was a slow moving book. The fictional characters were interesting, but it wasn't enough to save the book.

Read my full review at Carstairs Considers.
Karen
Jan 05, 2012 Karen rated it it was amazing
What can I say - it was great. Love the authenticity and the storylines in the Thoenes' books. The story of Yeshua's birth was well-told (rather convenient about the midwife...), but tied all the elements together nicely. I did feel that the "signs in the heavens" sections stretched on a bit, but I still very much enjoyed the story.
Jeni Enjaian
I thought for sure that I'd already written this review. Guess I hadn't. The latter books in the series are so short that I'm finishing them more quickly than I can get the reviews out making my ability to review that specific book difficult. Instead of racking my brain to review this specific book, I'm going to refer to my reviews of the other books in this series.
Sarah Bfrown
Sep 08, 2007 Sarah Bfrown rated it liked it
This was the least of all of their books. I had to make myself finish it. They had too much "teaching" in it and not enough story. The characters were not deep and parts of the story seemed contrived. It was based on a true Bible story. They should have just left the story the way God wrote it and not tried to glorify Mary and mystify everything. Most of their other books are excellent.
Elizabeth B.
Dec 30, 2009 Elizabeth B. rated it it was amazing
During Christmas break 2009, I am rereading these books. While there may be some minor points of historical or doctrinal disagreement, the Thoenes are very successful in animating the events told in the Gospels and enhancing them with some very impressive Torah scholarship as well. These books have made an invaluable contribution to my understanding of the Bible epic.
Amanda
Oct 06, 2011 Amanda rated it really liked it
"For unto us a child is born, unto us a Son is given." This book tells what it really might have been like for Mary, Joseph, their families, the shepherds and their families at that time. It makes it seem more real, much less of a fairy tale, to remind us that they were all real people. Praise God for sending us His Son! We need to remember the miracle of Christmas all year long.
Linda
Mar 17, 2015 Linda rated it it was amazing
Fifth Seal covers Mary's pregnancy, including the town gossip; Mary and Yosef's journey from Nazareth to Bethlehem; the birth of baby Yeshua; the angelic announcement to the shepherds; and part of the journey of the Magi from Parthia (Persia).
Kw
Apr 17, 2012 Kw rated it it was amazing
I appreciate the research and prayer that must have gone into the writing of these books. They are great narratives, interesting and imaginative while being incredibly informative. So thankful to be privileged to read them!
Denyse Taylor
Aug 22, 2014 Denyse Taylor rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed reading this book and am looking forward to the next one in the series.
The way the authors give background to the story from history is great and to realize that Mary and Joseph were ordinary people who God chose to use wonderfully and amazingly at that time.
Monica
Aug 14, 2011 Monica rated it it was amazing
This book covers the point up to Jesus' birth. It's interesting to read, once again, what could have happened to Joseph and Mary during this time. Also I love the historical aspects and how much the Bible truly pointed to the Messiah's birth.
Jul 25, 2012 Jennifer rated it liked it
The Thoenes are successful in bringing to life the events of the New Testament. I don't agree with many of their interpretations of doctrine--in this book, particularly about Eve--but they have created an enjoyable and thoughtful read.
Joy
Sep 09, 2012 Joy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: adult
Giving a picture of the strength, love, and innocence of Mary and the trusting spirit and faith of Joseph, this book makes Jesus' earthly parents seem more real. I applaud the Thoene's on this brilliant piece of prose.
Ruthe Turner
Sep 24, 2016 Ruthe Turner rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The 5th book of the A.D. Chronicles continues with the events and people surrounding the Nativity and all the drama and intrigue it contains – from wicked Herod to Zadok the shepherd, as well as far-away Melchior the astronomer reporting his exciting discoveries. Read by talented Sean Barnett.
Cassandra
Apr 07, 2015 Cassandra rated it really liked it
The Thoene's A.D. Chronicles series helps me to remember that the people who lived when Jesus walked the earth were real people who were a lot like us.
Rhonda Martin
Mar 27, 2012 Rhonda Martin rated it it was ok
This is a good retelling of events that led up to the birth of Christ, but was not as engaging and exciting as previous books in this series.
Michael
Feb 21, 2014 Michael rated it it was amazing
What a joy was this book was to read. The Promised Messiah comes alive.
Sheri
May 23, 2010 Sheri rated it really liked it
This is the fifth in a series about the life of Christ and I loved the first 4 and I'm sure to love the next 4. I'm not sure how many are in the series of the AD Chronicles.
Chrissy
Jan 24, 2008 Chrissy rated it liked it
This 5th book of the series I was actually a little disappointed. It was shorter than the others and ends at a really awkward place such that there should be two or three more chapters at least.
Audrey
Mar 23, 2013 Audrey rated it it was amazing
Oh! it was awesome! the birth of jesus! Christmas will never be the same for me. it will only be better!!
Brooke
Jan 06, 2009 Brooke rated it really liked it
Beautiful and informative account of Christ's birth. Really provided historical context. Not as exciting as other books in this series, but beautiful all the same.
  • Sequoia Scout (Saga of the Sierras #4)
  • Faith of My Fathers (Chronicles of the Kings, #4)
  • Prelude (American Anthem #1)
  • Dark Hour
  • Dawn of Liberty (Secret of the Rose, #4)
  • The Last Sacrifice
  • Passage Into Light (The Russians, #7)
  • The Reluctant Bridegroom: 1838 (The House of Winslow #7)
  • His Watchful Eye
BODIE AND BROCK THOENE (pronounced Tay-nee) have written over 45 works of historical fiction. These best sellers have sold more than 10 million copies and won eight ECPA Gold Medallion Awards.

Bodie began her writing career as a teen journalist for her local newspaper. Eventually her byline appeared in prestigious periodicals such as U.S. News and World Report, The American West, and The Saturday E
More about Bodie Thoene...

A.D. Chronicles (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • First Light (A.D. Chronicles, #1)
  • Second Touch (A. D. Chronicles #2)
  • Third Watch (A. D. Chronicles #3)
  • Fourth Dawn (A.D. Chronicles #4)
  • Sixth Covenant (A. D. Chronicles # 6)
  • Seventh Day (A. D. Chronicles #7)
  • Eighth Shepherd (A. D. Chronicles #8)
  • Ninth Witness (A. D. Chronicles, #9)
  • Tenth Stone (A. D. Chronicles, #10)
  • Eleventh Guest (A.D. Chronicles, #11)

“From that time on, what mankind could not touch they proclaimed did not exist. What they could not comprehend they mocked.” 0 likes