Start by marking “Sophie's Heart” as Want to Read:

4.22  ·  Rating Details  ·  8,091 Ratings  ·  252 Reviews
After the tragic death of his wife, Alec Riley struggles to put his life back together. He and his three children are lost in their grief... until Sophie walks unexpectedly into their lives. Having left her native Czechoslovakia, Sophie has discovered the land which seemed so bright with promise is far from her dream. A highly educated woman, Sophie now finds herself keepi ...more
Published June 1st 2004 by Harvest House Publishers (first published July 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Sophie's Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sophie's Heart

Redeeming Love by Francine RiversThe Shack by Wm. Paul YoungA Voice in the Wind by Francine RiversUnconventional by J.J. HebertPhenomena by Susan Tarr
Best Christian & Inspirational Fiction
19th out of 815 books — 847 voters
Redeeming Love by Francine RiversThe Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. LewisA Voice in the Wind by Francine RiversThe Shack by Wm. Paul YoungThe Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis
Best Christian Fiction
99th out of 1,843 books — 2,220 voters

More lists with this book...

Nelly
Aug 26, 2011 Nelly rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2011
This book was on my to-read list for a while and I bought it a few months ago, but just now got around to reading it throughly. I actually do like some christian fiction, sometimes I'm in the mood for a clean romance,so the point is I didn't miss the smut, but I did miss a good entertaining plot, the whole book was just about how she baked, cleaned, and in the middle of the book her boss noticed she was a woman and a not-so-dumb one, because she can speak FIVE languages, yeah that's it FIVE, I'l ...more
Jessica
Jan 27, 2012 Jessica rated it it was ok
I was extremely disappointed in this book. I've read one other book by Lori Wick and I really enjoyed it. But this one was way over the top and too much. By the end I couldn't get through it fast enough and I ended rolling my eyes and some of the cheesy conversations. I thought the characters were too sentimental. They cried way too much and too often, they prayed ALL the time. It seemed like there was at least one prayer on every page. I remember there was a time that Sophie and Mr. Riley were ...more
Lauren
Character development: 2
Plot development & flow: 2
Enjoyment Factor: 1
Overall Rating: 1

I give this book a one based on the fact that I didn't finish it. I bought this book on my kindle but returned 3/4 of the way through because I really didn't care how it ended and wanted my money back.
This book is about an immagrant named Sophie during the late 1980's who travels to America fulfilling her and her grandmothers life long dream.
In Chicago s
Tonya
Sep 05, 2008 Tonya rated it it was amazing
This is another of my favorite books. It is about a woman who moves to the US from Prague in the 1980s. She has to find her place in this country while she works as a house keeper for a family that has recently lost their mother/wife. As with all of Lori Wicks books, it involves a romantic relationship between an man and woman as well as different character's relationship with God. It is uplifting and almost every time I read one of her books I find something that applies to my life right now ei ...more
guardedmodesty
Dec 20, 2007 guardedmodesty rated it it was amazing
I read this EVERY year, it's a tradition. Timeless story, amazing characters, wonderful lessons, awesome ending. What more could you want?
Joy Avery Melville
May 19, 2011 Joy Avery Melville rated it it was amazing
I think this is one of my favorite Christian Fiction books. It's the first Lori Wick novel I ever read. I've put it on my 'keeper' shelf in my personal library. This book will be on the list of 'must-reads' for my granddaughters.
Sometimes we see Christian Fiction as either preachy or fake - this is neither. I've seen first hand the kind of grief, survivors guilt, growing love between a child's nanny and her employer (not myself) and am able to see this character-driven story as true to life. It
Sara R.
Feb 17, 2014 Sara R. rated it it was amazing
I smiled, and i cried. A lot! But oh so good. If you have a couple slow days and want a really good story, read this.
Brooke
Mar 28, 2008 Brooke rated it it was amazing
I've also read this book several times over the years. It is a bit more of an undertaking than The Pricess but still every bit worth it. This is another modern day fiction book that takes place after the mother of the family dies and Sophie, a new immigrant, comes to live with the family. There are many funny parts as Sophie tries to fit into the culture and many serious moments as she tries to help this family with their grief. This book always makes me cry! (in a good way, I love when a book c ...more
Jul 12, 2013 Sarah rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2013
Re-read today and remembered why I didn't like it all that much. There are some sweet moments, but it's not a very well-crafted or well-written book, and it seems like many elements are only included for their "preach factor". Jesus and Christianity are so much bigger and more beautiful than a few tacked-on moral sentiments or a deathbed conversion scene can hope to convey, and while some of the ways the characters lived and/or expressed their faith were more realistic and deep, the incongruitie ...more
Anna Marie
Dec 22, 2014 Anna Marie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I own this book, and it's my seventh time reading it (or something... starting to lose track). But I've been going thru a 'wilderness' period, and needed something gushy, and that's the time to pull out a Lori Wick book.

This is the story of an immigrant woman in 1989 who comes to be housekeeper for a widow and three children in Wisconsin, and of course she wins the hearts of the family and falls in love with the father. And it's really, really well done... for a Wick book.

When I say that, I mean
Abbie
Nov 30, 2010 Abbie rated it it was amazing
I read this book many many moon's ago but I still remember it. I might even have to reread it. Its a great story and I remember not being able to put it down. The story line(a bit hard to remember since its been at least 10 years since I read it) was about Sophie who be comes a nanny to three children who's mom has died. The father is still dealing in his grief. Sophie slowly starts to bring love and God back into the family and ends up finding love alone the way.
Stephanie
May 02, 2014 Stephanie rated it really liked it
Christian romance is not my typical genre, but on a recommendation from my mother-in-law I dived into Sophie's Heart by Lori Wick. I flew through the novel in about a week, and I found it to be an enjoyable, if predictable, romantic read.

I had a few quibbles with some of the theology in the novel, but I also was rather surprised to find myself inspired by the devotion of the title character, Sophie. Rather than falling prey to worry or self-pity when encountering difficult circumstances, Sophie
Valerie
Jul 15, 2014 Valerie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
A recent Czech emigre, Sophie is battling language difficulties, thoughtless cultural stereotyping, loneliness, and financial hardship. A church friend helps her land a job as a housekeeper to Alec Riley.

Alec has lost his wife in a car crash. He reacts by desperately turning himself into a workaholic and emotionally abandons his three children (ages 16, 12, 10) to wander in their own pain-filled daze. Sophie arrives and wonderful life-changing mayhem ensues.

Sophie's tenuous grasp of English h
Judine
Jul 18, 2008 Judine rated it it was amazing
This is quite possibly the perfect romance, with all the right themes and messages. Rita was by far my favorite character and I'd love to see her return in a later novel -- maybe finding her own unique path to love the way Alec and Sophie did. I fell more in love with the children than the main characters.
Rachel
This was such a wonderful book. It is a well written and truly sweet Christian novel about both romance and family. I really loved the characters and their development throughout the book, which has definitely earned a place on my favorites' list.
Elizabeth
May 08, 2013 Elizabeth rated it it was ok
all Lori Wick's books are pretty cheesy and this one was no exception... I was left wondering, "why exactly did I read this??" probably because I don't know what to read and it's driving me crazy.
Georgia Herod
Dec 29, 2014 Georgia Herod rated it liked it
This was my first Wick book, though I know women who’ve read everything by her. Christian romance.

Having left her native Czechoslovakia, Sophie has discovered the land which filled her dreams is filled with hard realities. Though Sophie is highly educated she becomes housekeeper for Alec, a widower, and his three children, including two teens. Sophie loves the children and comes to love Alec! They face fear, conflict, and tension as they realize they love each other. But they become a family! B
Jenni
Nov 22, 2008 Jenni rated it liked it
A bit predictable, but a beautiful read. Lovely how Sophie gently works her way into the hearts of the children.
B.J. Nicol
Mar 28, 2016 B.J. Nicol rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-fiction
Sophie's Heart ws one of the first Lori Wick books I ever read, but certainly not the last. Lori has provided me with many hours of enjoyment as I happily receive the stories she so expertly offers.

Sophie's heart will go straight to your heart. The characters are real; they don't feel manufactured or fictional. As you read and root for them to find happiness, they seem like your neighbors next door, not characters printed on the pages of a book.

If you find yourself in need of a good read that wi
Liz
Jun 11, 2016 Liz rated it really liked it
Lyndalou
Jul 11, 2015 Lyndalou rated it it was amazing
Now this versatile writer turns her hand to a more recent era with a tender story of love and promise that will captivate Wick's loyal fans and attract new readers looking for contemporary Christian fiction. The first morning the woman slipped into Janet Ring's Bible study, she caught Janet's attention. A little frightened, but desperate for friendship, the visitor sits quietly through the study. Afterward, she leaves so quickly that Janet has time to learn only that her name is Sophie. Followin ...more
Kristy
Nov 11, 2014 Kristy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian, 2014, 2001
Rating: 6/10

This was a favourite of mine when I was in my teens. Obviously I am a lot older and thus a different person so the soppiness and cheese got to a point where it was too much. Also their grief was touching to beginning with but after awhile, you get a little over reading about them crying over everything. I do think that it is a sweet story especially in the beginning when Sophie doesn't expect people to be kind and generous with her. Once her love interest develops it becomes too sick
Krystal
Aug 22, 2014 Krystal rated it did not like it

Goodness gracious. I had heard so much about Sophie's Heart before I had ever even cracked open the book. It was highly recommeneded by my both of my aunts, my grandmother and several ladies at my church. And yet- it fell flat for me. I kept thinking that there needed to be more to the plot, and then in the very next breath I would decide that the plot was lacking and needed more action. It was all terribly frustrating and I am sad to say, boring.

Maybe I was bored because there was never a "wo

Carolyn
Jan 22, 2009 Carolyn rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, 2008
Sophie's Heart has been the latest book in my list of 15 to read, and though I'm not normally a reader of "Christian Romance" it was nice to read a different type of book. It was sweet and sentimental and a great "chick book" to read. All thanks goes to Kali for lending it to me.

The story is about a woman named Sophie who is from Czechoslovakia, circa 1989 during the cold war, and how her faith leads her to the US where she, by chance, becomes a nanny for a family where the wife and mother has d
V. Gingerich
I never thought I'd read another book by this author; the two I read as a starry-eyed young girl were sufficient. Then I found this one. I think it's comparable with Janette Oke's They Called Her Mrs. Doc, a surprisingly refreshing read in a forest of mediocre series books.

I wonder if Sophie's Heart would be different if written today, and if it couldn't be much, much better than it is. Reading it, you feel like you're up in the ceiling fan, looking down on everything that's happening. You're n
Colleen
Jan 13, 2016 Colleen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sophie's Heart

This is one of Lori Wick's most endearing novels. I have read this book 3 times in paper form and was delighted to find it on Kindle. This is the journey of Sophie, a young Czechoslovakian woman. It is the story of her move to America before the fall of the Berlin Wall and the reorganization of the Soviet Union. It is the story of how Sophie's beautiful Spirit filled heart heals the hurting hearts of widower Alec Riley and his three children.
Tracie
Apr 12, 2015 Tracie rated it really liked it
I'm not sure how I have managed to not read this book in the ten years it has been out, but it was definitely worth the wait! I LOVED this book. Sophie is a WONDERFUL character and a great teacher. I love it when God uses Christian fiction to teach me something new! Sophie's Heart is full of wonderful learning experiences that I am trying to instill in my everyday life.
Sheri
May 22, 2010 Sheri rated it it was amazing
This was a wonderful Christian book about a Czech woman coming to the States during a politically turmoltous time in her country to make a life. She leaves her grandmother back home which is very hard for her.
At first she finds a job in Chicago as a busgirl in a nice restaurant but it is very hard and she is not treated well. Because she does not speak English well, she is treated as ignorant when in reality she knows 5 languages fluently and worked as a translator in her native land.
She meet
Louise
Jul 20, 2009 Louise rated it it was amazing
The most beautiful, touching and heartfelt novel I've ever read! I'll be reading this one over many times. If we could all strive to be the kind of person Sophie is, what a wonderful world this would be.

From back cover:

"After the tragic death of his wife, Alec Riley struggles to put his life back together. He and his three children are lost in their grief until Sophie walks unexpectedly into their lives.

Having left her native Czechoslovakia, Sophie has discovered that the land which seemed so br
☮ mary
it is too bad some authors make inspirational romances so dull & pompous. writing about love and faith should be emotional and powerful but here there is only vacuous mentions of God and tiresome monologues ...
don't bother with that book it is not what romance is about.
fantastic book 11 49 Mar 28, 2015 09:54AM
  • Secrets (Glenbrooke, #1)
  • Heart of the Wilderness
  • Waiting for Morning (Forever Faithful, #1)
  • The Healer (O'Malley #5)
  • The Stars for a Light (Cheney Duvall, M.D., #1)
  • Kingscote (Heart of India #3)
  • The Still of Night (A Rush of Wings #2)
  • June (Brides of the West, #2)
FROM THE PUBLISHER:
Lori Wick is known as one of the most versatile Christian fiction writers on the market today. From pioneer fiction to a series set in Victorian England to a contemporary novel, Lori's books (over 5 million in print) continue to delight readers and top the Christian bestselling fiction list. Lori and her husband, Bob, live in Wisconsin with "the three coolest kids in the world."
More about Lori Wick...