Start by marking “Almost, Maine” as Want to Read:
Almost, Maine

Almost, Maine

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating Details  ·  743 Ratings  ·  72 Reviews
Book annotation not available for this title.
Paperback, Acting Edition, 75 pages
Published January 1st 2007 by Dramatists Play Service, Inc.

To ask other readers questions about Almost, Maine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Almost, Maine

Our Town by Thornton WilderAs You Like It by William ShakespeareThe Comedy of Errors by William ShakespeareCat on a Hot Tin Roof by Tennessee WilliamsThe Glass Menagerie by Tennessee Williams
Independent Reading: Drama
46th out of 47 books — 2 voters
All Quiet on the Western Front by Erich Maria RemarqueThe Book Thief by Markus ZusakThe Outsiders by S.E. HintonOffbeat Love Stories and More by Jennifer K. LaffertyStuck in Neutral by Terry Trueman
Most sympathetic characters
9th out of 46 books — 8 voters

More lists with this book...

Bt
Oct 04, 2015 Bt rated it liked it
Recommends it for: You can read it if you have a good reason, but don't produce it again, PLEASE!
Recommended to Bt by: The whole world
You really probably shouldn't do this play because it is soooo overdone (the most-performed play in American high schools - beating all Shakespeare plays). I'm really disappointed that this is what we're producing the most. At least it's not terrible, but... there are so many truly great plays we can choose from!

Anyway, this play is cute but also kind of saccharine. And you're hearing this from someone who is very sentimental. It's like eating hard candy instead of dinner. And some of the charac
Kelly
Oct 17, 2012 Kelly rated it it was ok
Very corny, yet very accessible. John Cariani includes copious instructions throughout the script for people who may not have a lot of experience. Each scene is predicated on a simple set of character traits and usually a single, clear objective. It's great go-to source material for a beginning acting class. Fully produced productions are sure to be more memorable than the actual script, which is pretty thin. This is the kind of material that needs an abundance of creativity and personality to r ...more
Josephine
Feb 08, 2015 Josephine rated it liked it
"See, to be a town, you gotta get organised, so... we're just Almost."
Clearly I had to read this for a drama assignment, and I'm sort of more at a rating of 2.5 stars right now, however a little closer to 3.

While the play was incredibly short, it was fairly impacting. Although the scenes seemed to repeat themselves in some factor or another, it was sweet to read about. A lot of the stories within the play contained metaphor upon metaphor, and I really enjoyed deciphering it all. It was not a
Kathleen Coudle-King
Jan 06, 2011 Kathleen Coudle-King rated it it was amazing
Loved it! It's like a box of 8 delicious truffles. This collection, book-ended with plays involving the same characters, takes common expressions about love and dramatizes them, like having a "broken heart," and waiting for the "other shoe to drop" in love, and getting "weak in the knees" due to love. It is a charming, old fashioned valentine, but not old fashioned as in dated. No, not at all. Just . . charming.
Keith Moser
Jan 10, 2015 Keith Moser rated it it was amazing
Shelves: plays
[This review is being written over a year after reading the book--apparently I never wrote one or Goodreads lost it]

Read this because a local theatre was opening their 2014 season with it and I wanted to see if there was a role in it for me.

Loved the script, but ended up not auditioning for it and (sadly) not even seeing it.

The play is a collection of 9 different scenes set in the fictional town of Almost, ME. Each vignette is about love and some connect with others. The show can be done with a
Marijah
Oct 02, 2014 Marijah rated it did not like it
I seriously think most people giving this high marks are commenting on the play itself rather than the writing job in this script. The play is lovely and all I can say is thank GOODNESS audiences can't see all the useless, poorly written drivel John Cariani insists on including within the script. If you can unearth the play itself from all the unnecessary commentary, congratulations, you're halfway there! Apparently Mr. Cariani didn't trust his writing to stand on its own and felt it necessary t ...more
Alec
I'm not a particularly sentimental person, so when friends come to me about their relationship problems, they often accuse me of being an awful comforter or cold-hearted. Or an asshole. (Eh, whatever.) Almost, Maine, should not have worked for me because it's centered so heavily on love in this small, unincorporated town in Northern Maine, yet I found myself enjoying many aspects of the play.

This play is spilt into eight scenes with a prologue/interlogue/epilogue scene. Not every scene was quali
Cordelia
Jan 12, 2012 Cordelia rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: People who believe in love
You have to be careful with this play: Cariani himself describes it as "almost bad". If you don't quite understand it, take it too seriously or not seriously enough, it will seem saccharine and ridiculous. If you read it properly or, better yet, see it performed by a really good cast, it will be brilliant and tender.
Carolyn
Oct 25, 2011 Carolyn rated it liked it
Shelves: theatre
The author describes this as a "very funny, very sad romance." It highlights eight individual scenes that are theoretically all happening at the same time in an unorganized territory ("Almost") of Maine. The dialogue and characters are pretty simple, but the overall effect is charming.
Andrew
May 24, 2012 Andrew rated it it was ok
This play's scenes are different stories, (Excpet for the first, which continues two more scenes.) I didn't really get into it until the scene before the intermission. After that, it was really cute and pretty good.
Anna W.
Feb 15, 2016 Anna W. rated it really liked it
I thought this play was very interesting. We read it as a part of a Creative Drama class, and it is supposedly being adapted into a YA novel. I read another review--NY Times, I think--that said it was a cross between "The Twilight Zone" and Thornton Wilder (author of "Our Town") and I feel that is an incredibly apt description. It's weird, and not all occurrences could happen in our average, natural world, but the concepts discussed are very real. My favorite scene was called "Getting It Back" w ...more
Jessica Barkl
Sep 05, 2011 Jessica Barkl rated it really liked it
This is going to be the first play for the 2011-2012 season for Walla Walla Community College's Drama Department. We will be doing it in the China Pavilion...a smaller intimate space; which I think will work perfectly for it, except for the fact that it is a lighting design play and there are only 22 dimmers in that whole space...so either I'm going to have to get Provincetown Players clever or I'm going to have to beg to move it to the space that the theater department head hates that has 96 di ...more
Jacob
Jul 21, 2015 Jacob rated it liked it
The last straight play I read was "Waiting for Godot," so "Almost Maine" was precisely what my soul needed.
This piece is cheesy and magical-realist in exactly the ways I am a sucker for. And the individual scenes –happy or sad, and in spite of any fantastical elements at play – all seem to be rooted in a very authentic conception of love(s).
I saw "Almost, Maine" on stage years ago, and now think I shall have to again. And then read it again. And then see it on stage again . . .
Megan
Jul 12, 2016 Megan rated it it was amazing
This possibly my favorite play. This is a clever and funny play that will get in the mood for Christmas! This is the perfect play to read or go watch during Christmas time. The characters are quirky and it's easy to fall in love with them. I wish I was a part of this town. I wish they turned this play into a movie! If you want the feels and just have a good time then I would recommend this play.

~Megan~
Bob
Jan 06, 2015 Bob rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Actors
Shelves: scripts
We're running this show at the Owen Theatre in Conroe at the end of January. Funny, sometimes poignant, definitely romantic. Also, plenty of great monologue material. Each scene is two people (two with a third). Can run with 2M, 2F with doubling up to 19 actors.

Group read-through was on Jan 5, 2015. (2nd reading. First reading was in December, after auditions.)
Shawn
Mar 07, 2016 Shawn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: plays
A lovely, wonderful little play that I thoroughly enjoyed. This play is a series of vignettes all about love. A romantic look at couples in various stages of love, set in a town called Almost, Maine. These events all happen at the same moment in time on the same night. I loved this play tremendously.
Thomas
Nov 14, 2015 Thomas rated it really liked it
Shelves: plays
This is not my normal fare, but I had the opportunity to see a college production of it and discovered myself having kind of a soft spot for it. I can't really defend myself for that, so I'll just be honest about it and say that even old bastardly curmudgeons sometimes go soft.
James
Jan 05, 2016 James rated it really liked it
An interesting attempt at "American Magical Realism" , these short vignettes feel like a cross between "Our Town" and "Northern Exposure". The individual vignettes are great for scene study; taken together, they make for a loopy, charming evening of theatre.
Isaac
Jun 09, 2013 Isaac rated it really liked it
Shelves: on-the-shelf
Let's just get this out of the way: John Cariani's Almost, Maine is cute. Ludicrously cute. It's a sugary, saccharine candy bouquet. Normally, I don't care much for warm-and-fuzzy romantic comedy type things, but I couldn't help but adore this play; it does "cute" very, very well. It sets up a perfect and dreamy environment that is incredibly appealing and engaging - the scenes loop in and out of themselves with a pretty lovely subtlety. You start to figure out what's going to happen about midwa ...more
Laura Russo
Jul 02, 2015 Laura Russo rated it liked it
Really sweet play. I wouldn't do it as a production unless it was a smaller venue. It would be great for scene work in class but really lacked many of the elements that make up a true production in my opinion. The playwright's stage directions were a obsessive and annoying.
Amy
May 15, 2016 Amy rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed reading this! It was quick and entertaining. John has a very distinct voice that I could find throughout, which I thoroughly appreciated. I also have a soft spot for New England, so it was a great read.
Monica Fumarolo
Aug 19, 2014 Monica Fumarolo rated it liked it
A sweet and sincere collection of vignettes make up this play about one night in the small almost town of Almost, Maine with people united by three things in common: the Northern Lights, their location, and love.
Megan Rotunno
May 27, 2014 Megan Rotunno rated it it was amazing
Hilarious to read and to perform, I almost feel bad that the audience can't get a copy of the script! Cariani is the perfect balance of detailed and left to interpretation and never ceases to make you chuckle.
Adam Hegg
Mar 13, 2014 Adam Hegg rated it it was amazing
Boy howdy do I want to do this show. It is simultaneously heartbreaking and heart affirming. I love it. I don't know if it right for our next season but it is totally going to happen in the next few years.
Jamie Dacyczyn
2015 Reading Challenge: A play

DNF. Read partway through but found the author's notes to be too distracting. I would like to see this actually performed on stage...but on paper it wasn't working for me.
Lauren Deal
Jun 02, 2015 Lauren Deal rated it really liked it
It reminds me of a theatre version of Love Actually. Seeing it performed might bump my rating to 5 - has a lot of potential!
Mel
Oct 04, 2015 Mel rated it liked it
Good play with lots of notes for beginners. Looking forward to putting this on with my drama class.
Brandon Henriquez
Aug 19, 2015 Brandon Henriquez rated it it was amazing
My favorite play.ever.
I performed this in Highschool Sophomore year and i played Chad.BEST EXPERIENCE EVER.
Brian Cowlishaw
Dec 16, 2015 Brian Cowlishaw rated it really liked it
I'm disappointed that our community theater won't be performing this play. It's fun and sweet.
Caitlin
Apr 22, 2016 Caitlin rated it it was ok
Saccharine and quirky is normally my cup of tea. Can't quite peg why this one was not.
  • Lend Me a Tenor
  • Reasons to Be Pretty
  • In the Blood
  • Good People
  • Five Women Wearing the Same Dress
  • Time Stands Still (TCG Edition)
  • Middletown (TCG Edition)
  • Little Shop of Horrors: Script and Lyrics