Start by marking “Almost, Maine” as Want to Read:
Almost, Maine

Almost, Maine

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  441 ratings  ·  52 reviews
Book annotation not available for this title.
Paperback, Acting Edition, 75 pages
Published January 1st 2007 by Dramatists Play Service, Inc.

To ask other readers questions about Almost, Maine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Almost, Maine

Little Women by Louisa May AlcottThe Cider House Rules by John IrvingThe Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel HawthorneA Prayer for Owen Meany by John IrvingThe Crucible by Arthur Miller
New England Books
328th out of 421 books — 216 voters
The Book Thief by Markus ZusakAll Quiet on the Western Front by Erich Maria RemarqueOffbeat Love Stories and More by Jennifer K. LaffertyStuck in Neutral by Terry TruemanThe Light in the Piazza by Elizabeth Spencer
Most sympathetic characters
7th out of 42 books — 6 voters

More lists with this book...

Kelly
Very corny, yet very accessible. John Cariani includes copious instructions throughout the script for people who may not have a lot of experience. Each scene is predicated on a simple set of character traits and usually a single, clear objective. It's great go-to source material for a beginning acting class. Fully produced productions are sure to be more memorable than the actual script, which is pretty thin. This is the kind of material that needs an abundance of creativity and personality to r ...more
Bt
Apr 29, 2014 Bt rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: You can read it if you have a good reason, but don't produce it again, PLEASE!
Recommended to Bt by: The whole world
You really probably shouldn't do this play because it is soooo overdone (the most-performed play in American high schools - beating all Shakespeare plays). I'm really disappointed that this is what we're producing the most. At least it's not terrible, but... there are so many truly great plays we can choose from!

Anyway, this play is cute but also kind of saccharine. And you're hearing this from someone who is very sentimental. It's like eating hard candy instead of dinner. And some of the charac
Kathleen Coudle-King
Loved it! It's like a box of 8 delicious truffles. This collection, book-ended with plays involving the same characters, takes common expressions about love and dramatizes them, like having a "broken heart," and waiting for the "other shoe to drop" in love, and getting "weak in the knees" due to love. It is a charming, old fashioned valentine, but not old fashioned as in dated. No, not at all. Just . . charming.
Cordelia
Jan 12, 2012 Cordelia rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People who believe in love
You have to be careful with this play: Cariani himself describes it as "almost bad". If you don't quite understand it, take it too seriously or not seriously enough, it will seem saccharine and ridiculous. If you read it properly or, better yet, see it performed by a really good cast, it will be brilliant and tender.
Carolyn
The author describes this as a "very funny, very sad romance." It highlights eight individual scenes that are theoretically all happening at the same time in an unorganized territory ("Almost") of Maine. The dialogue and characters are pretty simple, but the overall effect is charming.
Marijah
I seriously think most people giving this high marks are commenting on the play itself rather than the writing job in this script. The play is lovely and all I can say is thank GOODNESS audiences can't see all the useless, poorly written drivel John Cariani insists on including within the script. If you can unearth the play itself from all the unnecessary commentary, congratulations, you're halfway there! Apparently Mr. Cariani didn't trust his writing to stand on its own and felt it necessary t ...more
Andrew
This play's scenes are different stories, (Excpet for the first, which continues two more scenes.) I didn't really get into it until the scene before the intermission. After that, it was really cute and pretty good.
Jessica Barkl
This is going to be the first play for the 2011-2012 season for Walla Walla Community College's Drama Department. We will be doing it in the China Pavilion...a smaller intimate space; which I think will work perfectly for it, except for the fact that it is a lighting design play and there are only 22 dimmers in that whole space...so either I'm going to have to get Provincetown Players clever or I'm going to have to beg to move it to the space that the theater department head hates that has 96 di ...more
J3llyfish
I cannot even begin to describe how amazing this play is. It is by far the best show I have ever been in. The people who I shared the experience with have become my best friends, and it will be hard if not impossible to experience something as wonderful as I experienced that summer in Almost.
Isaac
Let's just get this out of the way: John Cariani's Almost, Maine is cute. Ludicrously cute. It's a sugary, saccharine candy bouquet. Normally, I don't care much for warm-and-fuzzy romantic comedy type things, but I couldn't help but adore this play; it does "cute" very, very well. It sets up a perfect and dreamy environment that is incredibly appealing and engaging - the scenes loop in and out of themselves with a pretty lovely subtlety. You start to figure out what's going to happen about midwa ...more
Monica
A sweet and sincere collection of vignettes make up this play about one night in the small almost town of Almost, Maine with people united by three things in common: the Northern Lights, their location, and love.
Megan Rotunno
Hilarious to read and to perform, I almost feel bad that the audience can't get a copy of the script! Cariani is the perfect balance of detailed and left to interpretation and never ceases to make you chuckle.
Adam Hegg
Boy howdy do I want to do this show. It is simultaneously heartbreaking and heart affirming. I love it. I don't know if it right for our next season but it is totally going to happen in the next few years.
Matthew Martignoni
This play is adorable with so many interesting and unique characters. I really enjoyed it.
Anna
saw play a couple years ago. loved it and quite interesting.
Tiffany Day
I'm not too sure about this one. It has some really sweet moments - and some funny ones, too - but overall, it has a trying-too-hard, drama class feel to it. I think a really strong, natural cast could pull it off and bring out the warmth and realness of the characters... but too few will do it right. It's just lacking too much - too much to really be a romance and too much to really be a comedy - and there's just enough awkwardness to prevent it from being strong drama. I hate giving it only 2 ...more
Bella
Its alright.. but not great. Pretty dull.
Brigitte
read for the first time in September of 2012

Krystyna Smith
I really love this play I have never read a play like this ever. Simply Amazing.
Julie
Apr 22, 2013 Julie rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: play
"Almost, Maine" was presented by the Alfred University College of Liberal Arts & Sciences Division of Performing Arts April 17-20, 2013. It was a student directed & designed production. My son, Nate, did an inspired job of the set design for this play. All the students involved, director, crew & actors put a lot of effort into their work. Whilst I enjoyed several of the individual performances overall I found the script shallow & uneven. My rating reflects my dissatisfaction with ...more
Jon
Nov 14, 2009 Jon marked it as to-read
Shelves: fiction
I had the privilege to see this performed last night in the Polsky Theatre at the JCCC Carlsen Center.

Elements I particularly liked included a well timed visual gag of the old cliche' 'waiting for the other shoe to drop.'

Also the story that bookmarked the play and the interludes between scenes ended with a nice touch. Originally, the girl exited the stage and at the end of the play returned via the opposite side, reuniting with her beau after, assumedly, traversing the globe. Cute.
Eddie
i absolutely love this play. it is flawless in every way and i hope to one day be able to perform in it. it is one of those shows, that you can do multiple times, and it will never be the same and every time you read it, you get something new out of it. the couples presented in the play are real and can be related to any couple in today's time. i highly recommend that not only theatre fanatics read this, but everybody read this play for the lessons it provides.
Alex
I know that in the beginning of this play, the writer says that "cute will kill this play" but oh my god it is the cutest thing. I think it's meaningful and powerful and fantastic BUT IT ALSO MADE MY HEART WANT TO VOMIT EVERYWHERE.
I would love to be in this play. I can't even formulate thoughts. It was such a refreshing read. I'm kind of sick of people being endlessly dark in stories -- there is depth to be found in themes like love.
Karen
Charming. Heart-breaking and heartwarming all at the same time.
Ashley
This play is simply heartwarming. It's a bunch of short snippets about how love really works, like through a couple about to get divorced, or a pair of friends recognizing deeper feelings, or watching the person you love get married. It's wonderful and happy and sad and sappy and definitely worth a read. Or, even better, a viewing if a theater near you ever performs it.
Mia
The individual stories in this play are cute on their own, but back-to-back become very redundant. My uni did this play last year and the theatre department kind of has an inside joke regarding the stage directions Cariani uses - because they're awful. It's like he's one of those playwrights who can't let go of his script and trust future directors with it.
Wendy
I did sound design for a local performance of this play, it is a sweet and honest look at how people love and what love can do. It was an amazing production, being done in a small space (seats 50) in the round. Four actors are took on all the characters and we used the original musical score. I would enjoy see other productions to compare in the future...
William
Maybe a four and a half, but why quibble. The various stories reminded me a little of James Thurber's Fables for Our Time and William March's 99 Fables, tossed with dash of Ionesco for a little flavor. In any case it was a pleasant way to spend a cold, rainy afternoon, just wish I could see it on stage one day. Something else to look forward to.
Sherry (sethurner)
This is a charming two act play, set in fictional Almost, Maine. Each scene explores personal relationships between people. I could see high school or community theater groups performing this. The tone varies from wistful to whimsical, and while the play was written for four actors, more could be cast.
Marwin Fernandez
My school is going this play for its fall production.

This play is so romantic and sweet. I can even relate to some of the situations.

I love the symbolism in this play, I wouldn't have known the connotations of the aurora until it was explained to me by the author.
  • Lend Me a Tenor