Start by marking “The Scribe: Silas (Sons of Encouragement, #5)” as Want to Read:
The Scribe: Silas (Sons of Encouragement, #5)

The Scribe: Silas (Sons of Encouragement #5)

4.09  ·  Rating Details ·  1,136 Ratings  ·  54 Reviews
Behind the men who shaped history are the heroes who forever changed it. The Scribe, the fifth and final book in the Sons of Encouragement series, beloved author Francine Rivers illuminates the life of Silas. Like the other Sons of Encouragement, this book tells the story of a lesser-known biblical character who made an impact on eternity. The Scribe tells the story of Si ...more
Published June 7th 2007 by Tyndale House

To ask other readers questions about The Scribe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Scribe

Madelyn
Feb 26, 2016 Madelyn rated it really liked it
Shelves: bible-history
This was an extremely enjoyable version of the story of Silas, scribe to Paul and Peter. She made connections throughout the gospels of stories that could have possibly been about Silas, such as the rich young ruler (in Luke it gives more detail of the account, and she presumes it refers to him).
I love how she fits the pieces together and wove an in-depth story of how he saw things, and how she presents a picture of the harsh persecution and what it was like to go through that. She displays the
Marlene Banks
Nov 17, 2014 Marlene Banks rated it it was amazing
Excellent!
Mandy J. Hoffman
MY REVIEW:

The Scribe is an amazing book that looks into the life of Silas and the apostles as the church began after Christ died and rose again. This book, the fifth in the Sons of Encouragement series, has a different feel to it. It is more personal versus a complete third person story.

I enjoyed the careful mix of fiction with biblical fact that creates a close up look at the experiences of well known Bible heroes like Paul and Peter and some not-so-well-known ones like Silas, Luke, and John M
Jeanine
May 04, 2010 Jeanine rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Lois, Katherine, Susan
Recommended to Jeanine by: no one - I love reading the author's books.
Francine Rivers has a way of taking the reader into the lives of Biblical men & women who lived & breathed and held for all times in the pages of history as told in the Bible. Silas is a person we know little about. So, by taking the little we do know, or rather gave much attention to, and bringing that which is known into a readable format, Francine Rivers has done him justice. I loved how he became a living person, one I could identify with in his struggles of faith & living a life ...more
Gloria
Nov 30, 2013 Gloria rated it it was amazing
This last book in the five book series follows Silas. The narrative switches between the present for Silas and his memories as he writes a scroll.

The author here conjectures that Silas was the rich young ruler and the second man on the way to Emmaus. It is also assumed that Silas wrote the book of Hebrews, under orders from Paul.

Silas is "recuperating" from being near Paul and Peter just being martyred under Nero. Epanetus suggested that Silas write his memoirs while he stayed there. Hence the
librarian4Him02
A friend of mine is a fan of Francine Rivers books and I've ben meaning to pick one up for some time now. When I saw this on my library's shelf I decided to give it a try. In addition, I like historical fiction set during the days of the early church. So, I looked forward to listening to this during my daily commute.

I wasn't disappointed. Rivers' use of scripture and thorough research brought the book to life for me. I came away wanting to know more about the real life Silas who served as fello
Kim♥
Feb 22, 2008 Kim♥ rated it it was amazing
The Scribe follows the journeys of Silas, the scribe who traveled with Paul and Peter. Along the way, it gives amazing insight into the lives and faith of early church believers and brings the New Testament to life.

This book is incredibly relevant to our lives today and made such an impact on me. So inspiring! I was in tears by page seven. It's easily one my favorites in this series (along with The Prophet) and from Francine Rivers in general. I didn't want the story to end, and I’m sure I will
Devin Vanderpool
Aug 07, 2015 Devin Vanderpool rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This was by far my favorite in this series. To look at someone - a writer, a teacher - with whom I have many shared interests, and to see how he succeeded in his craft and was able to use it as a tool for God was life-changing. My current recurring prayer to the Lord is for Him to use me as He did Silas. If that means helping others write books, great. If that means writing stories and books of my own...even better. I want to be malleable enough to be used by the Lord how He sees fit. Silas beca ...more
Sharon
Jan 02, 2013 Sharon rated it it was amazing
AS usual Francine Rivers writes a book that makes you look at events you thought you knew in a new light. Written through the eyes of Silas, it can teach ALL of us how to forgive ourselves for being less that we wanted to be in a situation.
Heather
Jun 25, 2012 Heather rated it it was amazing
This book, although fictional, helps the reader understand and learn about the beginnings of Christianity. It made me want to be an early Christian, facing persecution and all. Very poweful read. Made me think and reach for my Bible.
Veronica
Nov 15, 2014 Veronica rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned-books
I am so, so sad to see this series end. 'The Scribe' was another intensely moving installment. Despite having a slightly different feeling from the other books, this book was still excellent and opened my eyes to aspects of my faith I had never considered before.
Anna Meyer
Sep 06, 2015 Anna Meyer rated it it was amazing
This told Silas's story. I love reading historical fiction about the early church, and Silas, who spent time with both Peter and Paul, did not disappoint! This story was so encouraging!
Acarrawa
Aug 02, 2012 Acarrawa rated it it was amazing
This is my favorite of Francine Rivers' "Sons of Encouragement" novellas. She has done a masterful job of presenting the Gospel. Great writing! Very biblical (within the limits of fiction).
Wanda
Aug 31, 2013 Wanda rated it really liked it
The last of the series entitled Sons of Encouragement, the main character of this novella is Silas. Silac is a wealthy and well educated Jewish scholar who was a contemporary of Jesus and the Apostles. After accepting Jesus as the Messiah, Silas become involved in the formation of the Christian Church through his aid to both Paul and Peter. Most of his adult life was spent traveling either with Paul or Peter and recording their letters to be sent to beginning congregations.

As usual, Francine Riv
Elijah Abanto
Aug 29, 2016 Elijah Abanto rated it it was amazing
I knew God has given Rivers an enormous writing prowess, having read several of her books through the years, and again I was not disappointed. Sometimes it is more difficult to write a novel about someone who is historical such as Silas, because if you are not careful you might contradict what the historical record (like the Bible) says. But she studied the Bible well, and written this novella very carefully, and the way she wove events is seamless. I have never so learned much about Silas than ...more
Randy Tramp
May 19, 2015 Randy Tramp rated it really liked it
Silas by Francine Rivers
The Book
The Scribe, the fifth book in the Sons of Encouragement series, Rivers tells the life of Silas. This man, a lesser-known biblical character but not lesser in eternity. The man behind the scenes recorded much of the New Testament. The early church and the trials of Paul, all portrayed in this book.

My Thoughts:
I listened to this book as I traveled to Wager, South Dakota, to conduct Kid’s Church. I saw through Silas’s eyes during a dangerous, yet exciting time. Franc
Su
Dec 18, 2016 Su rated it it was amazing
Francine Rivers is the only Christian writer I'll read. She's an incredible writer and it's such a delight to read anything she's written.

I have a bit of a soft spot for Silas and have often wished we knew more about him, and this story woven about what little bits of his life we have access to is beautiful. Love!
Jeri
Apr 30, 2010 Jeri rated it liked it
Overall, the five men series was not as good as the five women series. However, that said, these books did make me want to delve into the Bible to read their stories more in-depth for myself....and that was the author's purpose. I'm glad that I bought these, and I would read these again. Silas was my least favorite of the five.
Christine
Dec 03, 2007 Christine rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Biblical History buffs
A short novella about the life of Silas, a scribe for both Peter and Paul. He did meet and hear Jesus but did not follow him until after he was crucified and appeared to Silas. An interesting read about those days following the resurection of Christ and how the disciples lived and spread the "Good News".
Tara
Oct 22, 2015 Tara rated it it was ok
This book was good but, not one of my favorites by the author Francine Rivers. It follows the life of Silas, a scribe for the early church. While Francine Rivers has weaved in many notable new testament biblical moments, I just couldn't get that interested in the storyline as it felt very jumbled to me.
Luke D
Dec 31, 2014 Luke D rated it really liked it
Not so much an exciting story, but really brings alive the times of the early Church (through Silas writing his history). It's extremely personal, which adds to the depth of the emotion conveyed. Really enjoyed it. Brilliantly written.
Lynda
Mar 27, 2009 Lynda rated it liked it
I am currently reading. The books in this series are such a fast read becaused you can't put them down. The Scribe is going a little slower. But its the first one I picked up my Bible and other resources to move it along.
Grant Davis
Pretty good book. As any historical fiction book that is based around the scriptures, one must keep their eye on if it feasible for the author to fill in gray areas, but this author did a rather impressive job of it while keeping the story seamless and interesting.
Connie
Nov 05, 2007 Connie rated it liked it
Shelves: biblical-novel
Though the subject matter is really good, giving increased personality to the followers of Jesus in Acts and insight into an otherwise inconspicuous follower of Jesus, this book was a slow read for me.
Bruce
Apr 14, 2013 Bruce rated it really liked it
Second book I read by Francine Rivers. This is a book of historical fiction based on a colleague of Paul, Silas was in part a scribe and co-evangelist. Not necessarily all the viewpoint of Rivers, but how she felt Silas may have seen theings.
Leah
Sep 02, 2008 Leah rated it really liked it
I am ejoying this book as I have enjoyed any and all of Francine Rivers' works. If you have ever wondered (as I have) what the daily grind of Biblical people could have been like, this book and the four others in this series help very much.
Lizzy
Feb 05, 2014 Lizzy rated it really liked it
started a bit slow and much of the book is a backwards reflection of his life, but I loved learning more about Silas because I've never really focused on his story and how it intertwines so closely with Paul and Peter's stories
Claire
Oct 14, 2007 Claire rated it really liked it
These books about the people from back then, always REALLY challenge me. Silas was a guy much mentioned, but little known from hanging out with the big shots like Peter and Paul. This version tells his side of the story. I even cried.
Chrissy
Jan 24, 2008 Chrissy rated it liked it
This is last book written in the Sons of Encouragement series. I recommend reading this first of the five since the Biblical text has a lot less to draw from in terms of characters and dialog. It was still very good and really helps you understand what shepards do/did.
Beckie Wendorf
May 18, 2012 Beckie Wendorf rated it liked it
I was a bit disappointed by this book. The other books in the series were about one individual. This book was about the one individual telling about everyone else around him instead of being about him. But this does complete the series.
  • Among the Gods (Chronicles of the Kings, #5)
  • Second Touch (A. D. Chronicles #2)
  • The Hidden Flame (Acts of Faith, #2)
  • Hadassah: One Night With the King
  • The Shepherd's Voice
  • Abigail (The Wives of King David, #2)
  • Dark Hour
New York Times best-selling author Francine Rivers began her literary career at the University of Nevada, Reno, where she graduated with a bachelor of arts degree in English and journalism. From 1976 to 1985, she had a successful writing career in the general market, and her books were highly acclaimed by readers and reviewers. Although raised in a religious home, Francine did not truly encounter ...more
More about Francine Rivers...

Sons of Encouragement (5 books)
  • The Priest: Aaron (Sons of Encouragement, #1)
  • The Warrior: Caleb (Sons of Encouragement, #2)
  • The Prince: Jonathan (Sons of Encouragement, #3)
  • The Prophet: Amos (Sons of Encouragement, #4)