Start by marking “The Scribe: Silas (Sons of Encouragement, #5)” as Want to Read:
The Scribe: Silas (Sons of Encouragement, #5)

The Scribe: Silas (Sons of Encouragement #5)

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  915 ratings  ·  42 reviews
Behind the men who shaped history are the heroes who forever changed it. "The Scribe, " the fifth and final book in the Sons of Encouragement series, beloved author Francine Rivers illuminates the life of Silas. Like the other Sons of Encouragement, this book tells the story of a lesser-known biblical character who made an impact on eternity. "The Scribe" tells the story o ...more
Published June 7th 2007 by Tyndale House (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Scribe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Scribe

Redeeming Love by Francine RiversThe Shack by Wm. Paul YoungUnconventional by J.J. HebertPhenomena by Susan TarrA Voice in the Wind by Francine Rivers
Best Christian & Inspirational Fiction
107th out of 565 books — 700 voters
Redeeming Love by Francine RiversA Voice in the Wind by Francine RiversAn Echo in the Darkness by Francine RiversAs Sure as the Dawn by Francine RiversThe Silent Governess by Julie Klassen
Best Christian Historical Fiction
373rd out of 884 books — 972 voters

More lists with this book...

Randy Tramp
Silas by Francine Rivers
The Book
The Scribe, the fifth book in the Sons of Encouragement series, Rivers tells the life of Silas. This man, a lesser-known biblical character but not lesser in eternity. The man behind the scenes recorded much of the New Testament. The early church and the trials of Paul, all portrayed in this book.

My Thoughts:
I listened to this book as I traveled to Wager, South Dakota, to conduct Kid’s Church. I saw through Silas’s eyes during a dangerous, yet exciting time. Franc
Mandy J. Hoffman
MY REVIEW:

The Scribe is an amazing book that looks into the life of Silas and the apostles as the church began after Christ died and rose again. This book, the fifth in the Sons of Encouragement series, has a different feel to it. It is more personal versus a complete third person story.

I enjoyed the careful mix of fiction with biblical fact that creates a close up look at the experiences of well known Bible heroes like Paul and Peter and some not-so-well-known ones like Silas, Luke, and John M
Gloria
This last book in the five book series follows Silas. The narrative switches between the present for Silas and his memories as he writes a scroll.

The author here conjectures that Silas was the rich young ruler and the second man on the way to Emmaus. It is also assumed that Silas wrote the book of Hebrews, under orders from Paul.

Silas is "recuperating" from being near Paul and Peter just being martyred under Nero. Epanetus suggested that Silas write his memoirs while he stayed there. Hence the
Jeanine
May 14, 2010 Jeanine rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Lois, Katherine, Susan
Recommended to Jeanine by: no one - I love reading the author's books.
Francine Rivers has a way of taking the reader into the lives of Biblical men & women who lived & breathed and held for all times in the pages of history as told in the Bible. Silas is a person we know little about. So, by taking the little we do know, or rather gave much attention to, and bringing that which is known into a readable format, Francine Rivers has done him justice. I loved how he became a living person, one I could identify with in his struggles of faith & living a life ...more
Wanda
The last of the series entitled Sons of Encouragement, the main character of this novella is Silas. Silac is a wealthy and well educated Jewish scholar who was a contemporary of Jesus and the Apostles. After accepting Jesus as the Messiah, Silas become involved in the formation of the Christian Church through his aid to both Paul and Peter. Most of his adult life was spent traveling either with Paul or Peter and recording their letters to be sent to beginning congregations.

As usual, Francine Riv
Veronica
I am so, so sad to see this series end. 'The Scribe' was another intensely moving installment. Despite having a slightly different feeling from the other books, this book was still excellent and opened my eyes to aspects of my faith I had never considered before.
Luke D
Not so much an exciting story, but really brings alive the times of the early Church (through Silas writing his history). It's extremely personal, which adds to the depth of the emotion conveyed. Really enjoyed it. Brilliantly written.
Lizzy
started a bit slow and much of the book is a backwards reflection of his life, but I loved learning more about Silas because I've never really focused on his story and how it intertwines so closely with Paul and Peter's stories
Kim♥
The Scribe follows the journeys of Silas, the scribe who traveled with Paul and Peter. Along the way, it gives amazing insight into the lives and faith of early church believers and brings the New Testament to life.

This book is incredibly relevant to our lives today and made such an impact on me. So inspiring! I was in tears by page seven. It's easily one my favorites in this series (along with The Prophet) and from Francine Rivers in general. I didn't want the story to end, and I’m sure I will
librarian4Him02
A friend of mine is a fan of Francine Rivers books and I've ben meaning to pick one up for some time now. When I saw this on my library's shelf I decided to give it a try. In addition, I like historical fiction set during the days of the early church. So, I looked forward to listening to this during my daily commute.

I wasn't disappointed. Rivers' use of scripture and thorough research brought the book to life for me. I came away wanting to know more about the real life Silas who served as fello
Kristine
Tried the audiobook on a long trip and after the first chapter I gave up. Didn't seem to have a plot
Jeri
Overall, the five men series was not as good as the five women series. However, that said, these books did make me want to delve into the Bible to read their stories more in-depth for myself....and that was the author's purpose. I'm glad that I bought these, and I would read these again. Silas was my least favorite of the five.
Christine
Dec 03, 2007 Christine rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Biblical History buffs
A short novella about the life of Silas, a scribe for both Peter and Paul. He did meet and hear Jesus but did not follow him until after he was crucified and appeared to Silas. An interesting read about those days following the resurection of Christ and how the disciples lived and spread the "Good News".
Chrissy
This is last book written in the Sons of Encouragement series. I recommend reading this first of the five since the Biblical text has a lot less to draw from in terms of characters and dialog. It was still very good and really helps you understand what shepards do/did.
Grant Davis
Pretty good book. As any historical fiction book that is based around the scriptures, one must keep their eye on if it feasible for the author to fill in gray areas, but this author did a rather impressive job of it while keeping the story seamless and interesting.
Leah
I am ejoying this book as I have enjoyed any and all of Francine Rivers' works. If you have ever wondered (as I have) what the daily grind of Biblical people could have been like, this book and the four others in this series help very much.
Bruce
Second book I read by Francine Rivers. This is a book of historical fiction based on a colleague of Paul, Silas was in part a scribe and co-evangelist. Not necessarily all the viewpoint of Rivers, but how she felt Silas may have seen theings.
Sharon
AS usual Francine Rivers writes a book that makes you look at events you thought you knew in a new light. Written through the eyes of Silas, it can teach ALL of us how to forgive ourselves for being less that we wanted to be in a situation.
Beckie Wendorf
I was a bit disappointed by this book. The other books in the series were about one individual. This book was about the one individual telling about everyone else around him instead of being about him. But this does complete the series.
Heather
This book, although fictional, helps the reader understand and learn about the beginnings of Christianity. It made me want to be an early Christian, facing persecution and all. Very poweful read. Made me think and reach for my Bible.
Claire
These books about the people from back then, always REALLY challenge me. Silas was a guy much mentioned, but little known from hanging out with the big shots like Peter and Paul. This version tells his side of the story. I even cried.
Lynda
I am currently reading. The books in this series are such a fast read becaused you can't put them down. The Scribe is going a little slower. But its the first one I picked up my Bible and other resources to move it along.
Gerald Curtis
After the compelling drama and inspiration of Redeeming Love, I was very disappointed in this book. I like Biblical novels, but I found no drama or inspiration in this book and did not even bother to finish it.
Connie
Though the subject matter is really good, giving increased personality to the followers of Jesus in Acts and insight into an otherwise inconspicuous follower of Jesus, this book was a slow read for me.
Acarrawa
This is my favorite of Francine Rivers' "Sons of Encouragement" novellas. She has done a masterful job of presenting the Gospel. Great writing! Very biblical (within the limits of fiction).
Patty
i have not enjoyed this series as much as the "lineage of grace" series. I am having a harder time getting through this book than the 4 others in the "sons of encouragement"
Ashley
The Scribe is the 5th of Rivers' male novellas. She always chooses a man who has served in the shadow of another and for some reason I really love that. This one is about Silas.
Bri O'Connor
It was an interesting story that connected the Gospels and other New Testament books. This book is definitely written from a Protestant understanding of Scripture.
Jenny
Good book love these fictional biblical history ones really make the people come alive and I can remember things this way. Just have hard time remembering it's fiction.
  • Among the Gods (Chronicles of the Kings, #5)
  • The Hidden Flame (Acts of Faith, #2)
  • Thunder from Jerusalem (The Zion Legacy, #2)
  • Bathsheba (The Wives of King David #3)
  • The Shepherd's Voice
  • Martha
  • Magdalene
  • Hadassah: One Night with the King
New York Times best-selling author Francine Rivers began her literary career at the University of Nevada, Reno, where she graduated with a bachelor of arts degree in English and journalism. From 1976 to 1985, she had a successful writing career in the general market, and her books were highly acclaimed by readers and reviewers. Although raised in a religious home, Francine did not truly encounter ...more
More about Francine Rivers...

Sons of Encouragement (5 books)
  • The Priest: Aaron (Sons of Encouragement, #1)
  • The Warrior: Caleb (Sons of Encouragement, #2)
  • The Prince: Jonathan (Sons of Encouragement, #3)
  • The Prophet: Amos (Sons of Encouragement, #4)
Redeeming Love A Voice in the Wind (Mark of the Lion, #1) An Echo in the Darkness (Mark of the Lion, #2) The Atonement Child As Sure as the Dawn (Mark of the Lion, #3)