Start by marking “The Snake and the Spider” as Want to Read:
The Snake and the Spider

The Snake and the Spider

It began with a teenager kissing his mother good-bye. It ended with the discovery of human bones in the Florida underbrush. Two Michigan teenagers were enjoying their dream vacation in Daytona Beach, Florida. Then, along came a spider and a snake....

Spider was a bone-thin loser. Snake was the real thing- pure evil and armed to the teeth. For the two teenagers, these madmen
Mass Market Paperback, 386 pages
Published October 1st 1995 by Dell

To ask other readers questions about The Snake and the Spider, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Snake and the Spider

Delinda Mauney
Oct 20, 2014 Delinda Mauney rated it it was amazing
This book is very good and well written as is usual with Karen Kingsbury. It was captivating but sad knowing what the ultimate outcome was going to be. The fact that it was written based on true events, makes it even sadder.

The story gives a good insight as to how our legal system from the detectives to the judges have to jump through hoops to make a case, find missing people, and finally decide it is more than just 2 boys who have run away. I cannot imagine the parent's nightmare when their boy
Paula Strome
Feb 26, 2015 Paula Strome rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fascinating, But not for Everyone

This is the second of Karen Kingsbury's true crime novels that I've read (the other was "Missy's Murder"). Both were real page-turners and well written. She only wrote two others, both of which I plan to read. I wish there were more.

Miss Kingsbury is a Christian. For that reason, there is virtually no bad language, etc. That having been said, I would rate this book R. The nature of the story itself is dark and cruel. It was told as tastefully as possible. But it
Russ
Sep 28, 2014 Russ rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
True Crime novel

Inspired by the actual events of the brutal murder of two young men, the author, Karen Kingsbury, gives flesh to their Christian families to make the story more compelling. No doubt that the truth would never have been exposed without a dedicated effort. A worthy read.
Valerie
Nov 10, 2014 Valerie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When innocence meets evil

The book holds your interest from page one. Details aren't tedious, rather they help the readers feel every emotion they are meant to feel while unraveling evil. A painfully touching look at the result of life and laws and human failings.

Diane L. Cole
Oct 23, 2014 Diane L. Cole rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent read

I enjoyed this book, although sometimes sickened by the facts of the case, I was very impressed with the private investigator Bob Brown I honestly believe he was the true hero of the story. Parents should read this and take heed.
rebecca andre
Jan 27, 2015 rebecca andre rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I gave this book a five star the snake and the spider

I liked that the boys were found, I dislike how the judge overturned the decision for the death penalty by electric chair and that the murders could go free and are they free today??
Kiwanda
Feb 05, 2015 Kiwanda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great read!

Karen Kingsbury is one of my favorite authors. I like to read books about true stories/crimes. It was great having them both in one! Thanks for taking out the foul language. That's the downside to the other crime books I read.
Ranada Humes
Jul 27, 2015 Ranada Humes rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book. I had a hard time putting it down.

A real life story that has you engaged the entire time. Hard to put down. Loved it! Good read for anyone who likes suspenseful story lines.
Nancy
Jan 14, 2015 Nancy rated it really liked it
This was so compelling to read, yet heartbreaking and disturbing at the same time. This is a real-life crime story told from all sides of those involved/affected by the crime. Not a "happy ever after" kind of story.
Rebecca Miller
Jul 21, 2014 Rebecca Miller rated it really liked it
Through most of this book, I completely forgot that Karen Kingsbury was the author. That being said, it was exceptionally well written and has proven to me that Kingsbury is a great writer. Though this was depressing, it was informative and a reminder to always be on guard.
Gary L McNally
Mar 16, 2015 Gary L McNally rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Breathtaking

A book appropriate for ages teenagers and adults. No objectionable language. Makes some think about what can happen to unsuspecting people.
Pam
Jun 22, 2014 Pam rated it it was amazing
Based on a true homicide, this read like a novel. Too scary to think that this was true, but the book read like a great mystery as the story unfolded.
April
Apr 22, 2014 April rated it it was amazing
Good read. Scary to think that your kids go on vacation and they never come back.
Ronnie Cramer
Oct 20, 2014 Ronnie Cramer rated it liked it
Highly fictionalized (sometimes ridiculously so), but sincere and interesting.
Nedra Haymon
Jan 23, 2015 Nedra Haymon rated it it was amazing
Good story. Sadly, this crime really happened. Well written. Just have some tissues ready.
John Gilchrist
sad tenagers killed during florida trip
Delinda Mauney
Oct 29, 2014 Delinda Mauney rated it it was amazing
This was a different book by Karen Kingsbury. Although written in regards to a true story, it is heartbreaking to see how people can be so evil and lost. As you read the book, you realize the ending is going to be sad and sickening. The faith and these boys parents knowing what the ending probably is going to be is reflective of how everyone of us should handle life's situations. God is our strength and will pull us through anything. All we have to do is trust and ask.

Shelly
Feb 05, 2015 Shelly rated it really liked it
wow, heartbreaking true story and well written.
Suzy
Nov 20, 2009 Suzy rated it really liked it
Good, solid true-crime fun. Quick read!
Brandy
Jul 29, 2012 Brandy rated it really liked it
A well written true crime story!
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2016
Paul
Paul marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2016
Michelle See
Michelle See marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2016
Esther Wilson
Esther Wilson rated it really liked it
Sep 13, 2016
Gail
Gail marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2016
Jennifer Lynn
Jennifer Lynn rated it it was amazing
Sep 02, 2016
Tiffany
Tiffany rated it it was amazing
Aug 31, 2016
Tonja
Tonja rated it did not like it
Aug 30, 2016
Debra Smilanich
Debra Smilanich rated it really liked it
Aug 29, 2016
Jenni Dickey
Jenni Dickey is currently reading it
Aug 28, 2016
  • Is He Dead?
  • Murder myself, Murder I am.
  • Cold Storage
  • The Sex Slave Murders: The Horrifying True Story of America's First Husband-and-Wife Serial Killers
  • Perfect Victim
  • Evil Eyes
  • Blood Lust: Portrait of a Serial Sex Killer
  • Bogeyman - He Was Every Parent's Nightmare
  • Serial Murderers and Their Victims
  • Hard Twisted
  • Finding Chandra: A True Washington Murder Mystery
  • I Have Lived in the Monster: Inside the Minds of the World's Most Notorious Serial Killers
  • Murder in Little Egypt
  • The Dead Janitors Club: Pathetically True Tales of a Crime Scene Cleanup King
  • The Yoga Store Murder: The Shocking True Account of the Lululemon Athletica Killing
  • The Trader's Wife (The Traders, #1)
  • My Mother Killed Christ: But God Loves Me Anyway
  • Ransomed Bride (Brides of Montclair, #2)
Karen Kingsbury, #1 New York Times bestselling novelist, is America’s favorite inspirational storyteller, with more than twenty-five million copies of her award-winning books in print. Her last dozen titles have topped bestseller lists and many of her novels are under development with Hallmark Films and as major motion pictures. In addition, it was recently announced that Roma Downey and MGM Studi ...more
More about Karen Kingsbury...