Start by marking “Missy's Murder” as Want to Read:
Missy's Murder

Missy's Murder

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  246 ratings  ·  22 reviews
On October 1, 1985, teenager Missy Avila was lured into the woods, beaten, tortured, and drowned. Karen Severson, Missy's best friend, publicly vowed to find the killer and moved in with Missy's family to help. Three years later, a surprise witness exposed the murderers--Missy's two best friends--one of whom was Karen Severson. Photographs. Original.
Published November 3rd 1991 by Dell

To ask other readers questions about Missy's Murder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Missy's Murder

Margaret Fraleigh
This is one of Karen's books she wrote while a newspaper reporter. This I believe is a true story.

I read one of her other books - Deadly Pretender that she wrote around this same time period.

There are two more - Finals Vows and Snake and the Spider.

After writing these books, Karen chose to be a bearer of light, She began writing redemptive hope-filled fiction. These stores are awesome. I would encourage any and all to read her books.

Kelly Brown
This was Karen Kingsbury's first novel- a true crime novel at that, which is very different from what she writes now. It was pretty good. I picked it for a reading challenge I am doing, for I would not normally read this genre. It was about young girl named Missy that was murdered by her supposed two best friends. The story was interesting and easy to read- it was just so sad. Hard to put down...some of the things I read I could not believe happened to Missy and her family.
Paula Strome
My First True-Crime Novel

But not my last. I was engrossed from the beginning. As is often said, "You can't make this stuff up!" I came to feel things about the people involved that I wouldn't have thought myself capable of. This is definitely not a book for children, due to the subject matter. I would give it (at least) a PG-13 rating.
Briana C Kennedy-Kessler
Different

For Karen Kingsbury book this is very different however Karen explains at the end that this is where she got her beginning in writing. In this case the murderer also wrote a book. I much rather Karen get money for a book then the murderer.
Missy
Jun 26, 2014 Missy added it
Interesting read. Shocking that this a real life event and the emotional drawing it brings out is incredible. Sympathy, empathy, ANGER, it all is unbelievable. it does drag a little with a lot of repeating, but still very interesting and worth while story.
Linda Duff
Was justice served?

Very engrossing read of a true crime. The author describes the crime in a sense I felt I was there. I also appreciated the fact the story wasn't ruined by offensive language. This story is so sad.
Amanda
Read it!

Great book to read, I didn't want to put it down. Missy's Murder is a very emotional book and the writer really makes you feel and want justice for the Avilia family.
Debbie Copeland
Very touching

This true life story pulls the heart for this family. As the story is presented, the verdict.should.have been different. There are several.typos in this book.

Jessica
Way, way too much fiction, would rather have had more facts than all the speculation, which had me rolling my eyes and skipping past a lot of it.
Myra Jean Harris
Bad story

I have read about all of her books and I don't think you did a good idea with this book
Mary Beth
This is an excellent book, that I didn't realize was nonfiction until the end. What a chilling story!
Nancy
Another real-life crime story. Compelling, but disturbing.
David Corrigan
Great read, sad story.
Nedra Haymon
Very sad and gripping story. Touched me deeply
April
Such a sad story....
Melissa
Feb 04, 2012 Melissa rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: mmm
Good true crime book.
One of my favorite Lifetime movies as a teen so it was neat to read the real story.
Much more detail about what really went on.
An early example of "mean girls" and what jealousy mixed with instability can do.

Kassie Sanders
I enjoyed this book. Very sad but relatable. A lot of characters to keep up with but author did a great job of developing them. Always enjoy Karen Kingsbury books.
Rachael
this story is so shocking that its scary. it really makes u wonder and pay more attention to what and who your kids are around.
Alexaraye
I watched the movie alot before reading the book and found the book more intesting.
Ginny
read this years ago and still gives me chills thinking about it.
Janie
it was very sad that it took that long to find the killers.
Gladdish Cinco
Gladdish Cinco marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2015
Sherry Wilson
Sherry Wilson marked it as to-read
Sherry
Sherry marked it as to-read
Anna
Anna marked it as to-read
Sharon
Sharon marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2015
Angie
Angie marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2015
  • Dead And Buried: A Shocking Account of Rape, Torture, and Murder on the California Coast
  • Final Truth: The Autobiography of Mass Murderer/Serial Killer Donald "Pee Wee" Gaskins
  • Dismembered
  • A Stranger in the Family: A True Story of Murder, Madness, and Unconditional Love
  • Victim: The Other Side of Murder
  • Blood Lust: Portrait of a Serial Sex Killer
  • If Looks Could Kill
  • A Death in White Bear Lake: The True Chronicle of an All-American Town
  • The Sex Slave Murders: The Horrifying True Story of America's First Husband-and-Wife Serial Killers
  • The Killer Book of True Crime: Incredible Stories, Facts and Trivia from the World of Murder and Mayhem
  • A Descent Into Hell
  • Picture Perfect: The Jodi Arias Story: A Beautiful Photographer, Her Mormon Lover, and a Brutal Murder
  • Finding Chandra: A True Washington Murder Mystery
  • If I Can't Have You: Susan Powell, Her Mysterious Disappearance, and the Murder of Her Children
  • Little Lost Angel
  • Until the Twelfth of Never: The Deadly Divorce of Dan & Betty Broderick
  • The Red Parts: A Memoir
  • Perfect Victim
FROM AUTHOR'S WEBSITE:

USA Today and New York Times bestselling author Karen Kingsbury is America’s #1 inspirational novelist. There are more than 15 million copies of her award-winning books in print, including several million copies sold in the past year. Karen has written more than 40 novels, ten of which have hit #1 on national lists.

Karen has a true love for her readers, and she has nearly 1
More about Karen Kingsbury...
Redemption (Redemption, #1) Even Now (Lost Love Series, #1) Remember (Redemption, #2) One Tuesday Morning (9/11 Series, #1) Leaving (Bailey Flanigan, #1)