Start by marking “Final Vows” as Want to Read:

Final Vows

The shocking tale of a felon, the woman who loved him, and an unspeakable crime--from the award-winning author of Missy's Murder. This electrifying chronicle recreates the chilling events that led up to the murder of Carol Montecalvo and takes readers inside the courtroom for the shocking trial of her husband Dan who, four years later, still professes his innocence. Photog ...more
Published September 1st 1992 by Dell

To ask other readers questions about Final Vows, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Final Vows

April
Apr 22, 2014 April rated it liked it
I found this recently and decided to read it because I enjoy Karen Kingsbury novels. As I understand it this was from the beginning of her writing career. It held my interest, but there needed to be an update on the case. I had to Google to find out he suspect died in prison without a re-trial or resolution. I saw the case was featured on Unsolved Mysteries at one point. An extra chapter explaining this would of been more fulfilling.
Dana
May 21, 2015 Dana rated it it was amazing
Before Karen Kingsbury started writing Christian fiction, she was a newspaper reporter for the "Los Angeles Times" who covered prominent crimes. She wrote four true-crime books including "Final Vows."

This is an incredible tale of Don & Carol Montecalvo who met and married while Don was incarcerated. After almost a decade of marriage, while Don is plagued by gambling debt and Carol has over half a million dollars of life insurance, Carol is murdered. The police say Don killed Carol, while Don
Becky
Mar 22, 2014 Becky rated it liked it
Interesting book written early in author's career as a news reporter for the LA Times. BUT.....why did she not add an update on the case? Did the accused and convicted remain in prison? Did he ever file an appeal? She wrote an update on her career changes but no update on the book. Ridiculous!! The writing and story were 4 star but I gave it only three due to the incompleteness.....no update included.
Kathy Humphrey
Sep 22, 2014 Kathy Humphrey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty good

I chose to give this book four stars,while it was true, it was not a riveting read. Ms Kingsbury does a great job of setting the scene, developing the characters and stating the facts. But, it was just too detailed.
What this story, this very real murder did, was teach me some character flaws can never be overcome in the eyes of justice.
Linda Brueggeman
Mar 05, 2014 Linda Brueggeman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Final Vows

This was a good story, but I feel an additional chapter should have been added to update the ending and tell the reader the true ending. I'm curious as to what happened to the characters, since it is a true crime novel, that could have been written to satisfy me.
Anne
Jul 10, 2014 Anne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Karen Kingsbury was my mom's favorite author, and do it interested me to read a true crime novel written by a well-known Christian fiction quiet. It was well written and interesting, but I'm ready to go back to my happy ending books. I did enjoy reading it as a former legal Secretary. Brought to mind all the frustrations of trying to help a client and not being able to.
Etha Carson
Oct 11, 2014 Etha Carson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
True crime drama

The documentary concerning the life and death of the victim, the investigations and murder trial relates the web of truth, fiction and inability of man to reach the clarity true justice requires even while earnestly working and searching for truth.
Frederick W. Goodling
Good read after slow start

I enjoyed the book immensely but it took me a while to get into it. At first I did not understand why all the background on all of the characters, but as the book progressed I saw the benefit. sad ending, but it depicts real life.
Dawn Traylor
good

This was a good book, but the storyline was continually repeated over and over so it became repetitious. Unfortunately, the ending didn't give a wrap up either so that you know what the final outcome was.
Cindy
Feb 19, 2015 Cindy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hard book to read

This book really left me wondering if Dan had indeed killed his wife or if Suzan had something to do with it. It's a sad story and I found myself wishing I could talk to Carol and prevent her from mistakes she had made.
Margaret Fraleigh
Dec 12, 2014 Margaret Fraleigh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: karen-kingsbury
This is one of Karen's first books - I have now read all four of them.
They are books she wrote early in her career of writing novels.

This I believe is a true story.
Kathy Neumann
Aug 07, 2016 Kathy Neumann rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another good read

I enjoy reading a novel based on a true story and this is a good one. All four of Karen's crime novels are worth reading.
Denise Marie Haws
Good read

Good book, enjoyed reading it. Ended in sort of a funny way. I Will read something by her again in the future
Ray
Apr 14, 2015 Ray rated it it was ok
Well written though heartbreaking. True story. I don't recommend.
Anna-Kate
Oct 12, 2014 Anna-Kate rated it really liked it
I couldn't put this book down, but I was disappointed at the ending!
Jknick
Jun 26, 2014 Jknick rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
2.5...Not what I was expecting from Karen Kingsbury but it was a good read.
Amanda Carruthers
Apr 10, 2014 Amanda Carruthers rated it it was ok
The ending comes very fast and the whole book is really drawn out.
Joleen Devens
Apr 22, 2015 Joleen Devens rated it liked it
O
Kristina
Mar 13, 2015 Kristina rated it really liked it
I love crime stories such as this. However, I still wonder what happened to Dan and if justice was ever served. I felt the ending of the book just left me hanging.
Joni
Joni rated it it was amazing
Sep 24, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2016
Elizabeth Green
Elizabeth Green marked it as to-read
Paul
Paul marked it as to-read
Michelle See
Michelle See marked it as to-read
Denise Tierney
Denise Tierney is currently reading it
Sep 17, 2016
Debra Smilanich
Debra Smilanich rated it it was amazing
Sep 07, 2016
Emma
Emma marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2016
Jaime
Jaime marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2016
Rita
Rita marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2016
  • Someone's Daughter
  • The Golden Willow: The Story of a Lifetime of Love
  • Starry Night (Christy Miller, #8)
  • Soul Restoration: Hope for the Weary
  • The Grand Scheme
  • Halfway Herbert
  • A Man of Honor (First Responders #3)
  • Poisoned by Gilt
  • Season of Blessing (Seasons, #4)
  • Silent Witness: The Karla Brown Murder Case
  • Cold Storage
  • Crimson Stain
  • Fortune's Bride (Brides of Montclair, #3)
  • Against Her Will: The Senseless Murder of Kelly Ann Tinyes
Karen Kingsbury, #1 New York Times bestselling novelist, is America’s favorite inspirational storyteller, with more than twenty-five million copies of her award-winning books in print. Her last dozen titles have topped bestseller lists and many of her novels are under development with Hallmark Films and as major motion pictures. In addition, it was recently announced that Roma Downey and MGM Studi ...more
More about Karen Kingsbury...

“Police caught up with him on January 22 and again” 0 likes