Start by marking “Even Now (Lost Love, #1)” as Want to Read:
Even Now (Lost Love, #1)

Even Now (Lost Love #1)

4.25  ·  Rating Details  ·  17,082 Ratings  ·  514 Reviews
Sometimes hope for the future is found in the ashes of yesterday.
Shane Galantera man ready to put down roots after years of searching. But is he making the right choice? Or is there a woman somewhere who even now remembers as does he those long-ago days . . . and a love that hasn't faded with time?

Lauren Gibbs a successful international war correspondent who gave up on ha
Published December 9th 2005 by Zondervan Publishing Company (first published January 1st 2005)

Cathy
Feb 20, 2009 Cathy rated it it was amazing
A+; Emotions ranging from heartbreaking to triumphant in this lovely novel. If you've ever doubted the power of one moment, you won't after reading this. Ms. Kingsbury is without question the best in Christian fiction, delivering a powerful message that does not come across as preachy or ignore the realities in life. No goody-two-shoes characters cripple her prose. Real people struggle with their faith issues and come out closer to God and each other because of it.
Tiana
Aug 04, 2009 Tiana rated it liked it
I've been putting off writing my review on this book because I'm not sure what to say. Generally, I don't especially like Christian fiction. This book is an example of why I don't like it. The story felt contrived and forced, like the author tried to imagine everything that could possibly go wrong and made it happen. I just kept feeling frustrated that the characters weren't using common sense to prevent these horrible things from happening. But worse was that I felt like the author was trying t ...more
Sam
Jan 19, 2012 Sam rated it it was amazing
It wasn't outstandingly beautiful prose, or a praise-worthy plot line, but this book made me cry. And for that, I give it 5 stars. There have been around, maybe 6, 7, books in my life that have had me sobbing (it's not easy to get my tears going in books) and this one had me wailing into the book in the middle of the night. Even Now had me smiling and laughing and making some sort of sound in my throat that sounded like sobbing and choking all at once... When Lauren and Shane were finally reunit ...more
Ky
Jun 05, 2009 Ky rated it it was ok
I feel like I'm really going against the grain here by saying this book was OK since Karen Kingsbury is such a famous author. However, I just wasn't caught up in this book. It was very "average" for me. In my opinion, the characters were forgettable and the development was slow. There were elements of the story that were somewhat implausible - I found myself thinking "why on earth would she do that?" or "how could she not know that" a couple of times. There were definitely some stretches. I just ...more
Tracey
Oct 12, 2012 Tracey rated it it was ok
Shelves: christian
Let me start by saying that had I known this was Christian fiction I may not have picked it up to begin with. I sometimes find the religious writing a little too over-the-top for my liking. I had a couple of issues with this story line:
1.The parents of these two teenagers conspire against them by taking deliberate steps to separate them from each other. One family moves across the country and the other into the suburbs and neither leaves a forwarding address. My issue ... the author implies that
Trey Atkins
Jun 10, 2015 Trey Atkins rated it did not like it
I read this because Kingsbury's books encourage my wife. The theme of God's control of our lives and situations is one I am fully behind, but this now ranks as my least favorite book. Mainly due to disappointment.

When I read self-published work, mistakes are common and expected. However, this is a well-known author with a respected publisher, yet the mistakes in storyline and editing seem to indicate both are interested far more in the profit to be had and than in a quality story and book.

A few
Julie
Nov 01, 2015 Julie rated it it was ok
I've read about 75% of Karen Kingsbury's books and this was by far my least favorite. I would have given it 1 star if it hadn't been for the lessons on forgiveness.
My first issue with this book is the fact that Shane and Lauren had no idea where the other was moving to. Seriously?! They didn't even exchange addresses or at least the name of the town? I thought that was absurd.
My second issue was with Lauren running away after she thought Emily died. She didn't think she should stick around for
Emily
Apr 15, 2015 Emily rated it it was ok
What can I say that I haven't already said while I was reading... Horrible editing, spelling mistakes nearly every page wherein a space was moved/added/removed, making the intended words into completely different words... but still real words, albeit ones that didn't make sense in the sentence. Continuity errors. Contrived plot points, characters lacking common sense. I was interested in the basic plot, but it could have been done SO much better. Though she's quite prolific and popular, I haven' ...more
Mariann Ryckman
Apr 07, 2015 Mariann Ryckman rated it it was ok
Not a huge fan of Christian fiction with a few exceptions. This was one of the most contrived story lines I've ever read. None of the actions made sense - all of the consequences were extreme. The outcome was just too neatly worked out. If you're looking for an easy read where you can just skim pages while people are whining or making dumb mistakes, this is it.
Tammy
Jan 22, 2013 Tammy rated it it was ok
It is a good thing that this is not the first Kingsbury book that I have read, because if it had been, I would not have read another and that would have been a loss. The constant emotional pain that the characters in "Even Now" endure (most of it brought on by themselves) for a solid eighteen years and 333 pages left me wrung out and exhausted. Even when the happy ending came, I couldn't feel the joy.
The experiences shared by the seven main characters were told and retold endlessly through ea
Maria
Oct 10, 2009 Maria marked it as to-read
Lost Love Series

EVEN NOW
The first book, Even Now, is the story of a young woman seeking answers to her heart's deep questions. A man and woman separated by lies and long years. . . yet who have never forgotten each other. With hallmark tenderness and power, Karen Kingsbury weaves a tapestry of lives, losses, love, and faith and the miracle of resurrection

EVER AFTER
In Ever After, the moving sequel to Even Now, Emily Anderson, now twenty, is attending college on a soccer scholarship when she meets
Loraine
Nov 06, 2014 Loraine rated it it was amazing
"A young woman seeking answers to her heart's deep questions. A man and woman separted by lies and long years...yet who have never fogotten each other. With hallmark tenderness and power, Karen Kingsbury weaves a tapestry of lives, losses, love, and faith--and the miracle of resurrection."

Two families the Galanters and the Andersons - close knit with a son and daughter who grow up together, fall in love, and make a tragic mistake which tears the two families to pieces. Karen Kingsbury has writte
Fitta Emike Sari
May 31, 2016 Fitta Emike Sari rated it liked it
Well, at the time like this. I swear i hate goodreads rating system.
I hardly give it 4 stars, but this book is too good for me to just give it 3 stars.
I felt fond with the character, but the story became predictable.
Well, that what's happen.
I enjoyed it,
Glenda L
Nov 24, 2014 Glenda L rated it really liked it
A very well written Christian novel about a teenage pregnancy and how it affected two very affluent families. The novel is written over a 19 year span ... what happens to the teens, the parents and the baby? I enjoyed this book very much. It was a little predictable, but good.
Amber
Feb 09, 2010 Amber rated it really liked it
Great Karen Kingsbury Story! It starts out about two teenagers who fall in love and Lauren (the main girl) gets pregnant. She decides to keep her baby instead of giving it up for adoption much to the dismay of her parents and her boyfriends parents. Her boyfriend Shane's parents are trying everything they can to get them to change their mind. They want to get married and raise the baby together because they are in love. The come up with a plan and it keeps them apart. Lauren has her baby and som ...more
Sophie Gaines
Jan 27, 2015 Sophie Gaines rated it it was amazing
This book was amazing! It made me feel at times, happy, sad, over joyed, shocked,etc. Above all, I established a relationship with every single one of the characters in the book.
Ann
Apr 12, 2015 Ann rated it liked it
First off, I read this on my Kindle. There were so many typos that it just drove me crazy. They were real words, but out of context, such as "allow edit" instead of "allowed it". It makes me crazy to see typos in books, there is just no excuse for that.

Overall, the story was ok. Christian romance/drama. I did get a little frustrated with characters who seem to have no common sense at all. Parts of the story were unbelievable to me.

It was a quick read, and a page turner. There was a bit of the
Kristi
Aug 02, 2014 Kristi rated it it was amazing
I fell in love with this story. The characters were amazing. Lauren and Shane's love for each other was flawless, even as kids. They grew up without each other. And their child little Emily. Found them and tried to get them back together. I love it. Emily was adorable. Her character was awesome. Karen Kingsbury made a great contrast of characters.
Although it was in ways similar to one other book I read called The Chance. But I overly enjoyed both books.
This book was Heartbreaking, sad, heartwa
Jana
I am wavering between 2 and 3 stars. I listened to it as an audiobook and didn't like it's production so maybe that gives me a dim view of it. The woman reading the book read painfully slow, would mess up the meaning of sentences through her inflection and used annoying baby talk at times for an apparently smart college student.
About the book though, it was ok. I found it predictable and frustrating when people who were said to be smart were so slow to do obvious things.
I do appreciate the fact
Darlene
Jan 30, 2015 Darlene rated it it was amazing
inspirational.
MMatchak
Mar 23, 2009 MMatchak rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
Emily Anderson was born to teenage parents who were separated by their own parents as a result of her coming into the world. Emily is raised by her grandparents who have been searching for her mother, Lauren, who has been missing since Emily was just weeks old. Once Emily is old enough, she begins searching, too, only her search expands to find her father, Shane, as well, whose parents moved to California to keep him away from her mother. It is a story of lost love, but one I found rather predic ...more
Nora St Laurent
Jul 10, 2015 Nora St Laurent rated it really liked it
This is a story of young love and how things can get so mixed up when parents step in where they are not supposed to. Yes unexpected things happen in life. What will you do when that happens to you? Control the situation and play God? Or are you going to seek God for what He would have you do in that situation.

Karen Kingsbury weaves a tale that has you watch lives shattered because of both sets of parents decide to play God and MAKE things change; that maybe should have been left alone. Let God
Brooklyn Smith
Apr 24, 2015 Brooklyn Smith rated it it was amazing
Even Now by Karen Kingsbury is a 338 page novel. Is a very good book, very well written, and definitely keeps the reader interested. The overall theme of this book is about a 17 year old girl named Emily, who lived with her grandparents, after her mom and dad left her. However, neither of them meant to leave their only child. This book is a very inspirational book, as it explains that anything can happen. Throughout this book, time is really the only thing that matters. Time is what separated Em ...more
A. R.
Jan 05, 2015 A. R. rated it liked it
Let me start out by saying I had sworn off of Karen Kingsbury books because they were beginning to feel formulaic and saccharine. I wish I could say this one was different, it wasn't but there were still some nice touches that I appreciated.

First let me get out of my system what I didn't like. In all of the Kingsbury books I've read, she ALWAYS used the same scripture (Jer. 29:11) And although I love the message of the scripture (That God is aware of you, and wants to give you hope and a future)
K P
Feb 01, 2016 K P rated it really liked it
I recently picked up the novel, Even Now by Karen Kingsbury. I had not read this book in several years and thought I would re-familiarize with the storyline before I read the next book in this series, Ever After.

Previously, I had read Karen Kingsbury's Redemption series and I could not keep the tears from falling! I was not brought to tears with Even Now; however, my heart went out to Lauren Gibbs and Shane Galanter. These two teenagers have to deal with their worst nightmare. What will they do
Tiffani
Jul 15, 2015 Tiffani rated it did not like it
Let me be the first to say I LOVE a good cheesy romancey indulgence from time to time. Not always but just on occasion, however this novel was just TOO MUCH CHEESE.
The bones of this story were good, real tear jerker worthy. But I did not find the actually writing and telling of the story to be all that good. If my husband thinks I roll my eyes at him too much he should have seen me whilst reading this! Too cheesy. And dumb. Especially that wonderful moment where Emily realized she had been spe
Michele
Jan 27, 2016 Michele rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a story of teenage love that could have stood the test of time if not for interference from loving and well-meaning parents. It is also the story of incredible loss and recovery from that loss. It is unabashedly Christian with strong messages of forgiveness, non-judgement and the power of prayer.

The teens, Shane & Lauren, are now grown up and living very different lives. Shane is a successful navy pilot who is engaged but wondering if it is right. Lauren is a war correspondent who wa
Mickie Danner
Oct 03, 2015 Mickie Danner rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Family

I love Kingsbury novels!! Always a joy to read about families,belief in prayer and knowing that no one is perfect.
Sara
Jun 20, 2009 Sara rated it it was ok
My mom loves Karen Kingsbury and has been passing them down to me... so I finally picked one up. Very nice story, just lacks character detail, suspense etc. Also thought very slow moving and somewhat cheesy. But easy read... all wraps up nice.
Mattie
Jan 22, 2011 Mattie rated it it was amazing
VERY GOOD. Page turning and in the end I felt like I knew the characters.. especially Lauren. My mother recommended this to me and I am very glad she did. Can't wait to get the next book!
  • Southern Storm (Cape Refuge, #2)
  • The Witness (Shield of Honor, #1)
  • Every Storm
  • A Rush of Wings (A Rush of Wings #1)
  • I Promise (Christy and Todd, The College Years #3)
  • Leota's Garden
Karen Kingsbury, #1 New York Times bestselling novelist, is America’s favorite inspirational storyteller, with more than twenty-five million copies of her award-winning books in print. Her last dozen titles have topped bestseller lists and many of her novels are under development with Hallmark Films and as major motion pictures. In addition, it was recently announced that Roma Downey and MGM Studi ...more
More about Karen Kingsbury...

Lost Love (2 books)
  • Ever After (Lost Love, #2)

“Her heart was talking now...” 4 likes
“The death of a friendship was usually slow and insidious, like the wearing away of a hillside after years of too much rain. A handful of misunderstandings, a season of miscommunication, the passing of time, and where once stood two women with a dozen years of memories and tears and conversation and laughter — where once stood two women closer than sisters — now stood two strangers.” 3 likes