Start by marking “Your First Novel: A Published Author and a Top Agent Share the Keys to Achieving Your Dream” as Want to Read:

3.90  ·  Rating Details  ·  277 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
An author agent team shares the keys to achieving your dream. This work includes all the start to finish fundamentals you need to produce and launch a first novel. It offers readers balanced advice on both writing and publishing their first novel, from the perspective of a published author and seasoned agent. It is an essential reference for aspiring and struggling writers ...more
Published October 1st 2006 by Writer's Digest Books (first published August 25th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Your First Novel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Your First Novel

Myfanwy
Jun 22, 2007 Myfanwy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dennis Lehane is winningly honest as he dishes out tough love in his inspiring foreword, leading into the first half of the book (written by novelist Laura Whitcomb) which focuses on the craft of novel writing and is filled with helpful hints, book recommendations, and exercises.

The second half of the book (written by agent Ann Rittenberg) focuses on the business side of publishing your novel. I devoured this section. Even though I had what I thought was a clear understanding of how things work
Sarai
Mar 22, 2008 Sarai rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Sarai by: Amazon
Shelves: howto-research
I did not find this book as helpful as the last one. I did enjoy the last half of the book that is written by an agent on what they expect and what a writer's job is. They had some good points the first half is written by a published author and she gave the typical show don't tell speeches. If you are going to look at this book look at the last half. There are pleanty of other books out there that would help with characterization and what not.
Matt Murphy
Jun 10, 2010 Matt Murphy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've spent hundreds of dollars on dozens of books designed to teach aspiring authors the craft. Most of the books sing the same song and at the end the reader realizes he's just wasted many hours of valuable time that could have been spent practicing the craft or reading worthwhile prose.

Despite the dozens of writing-related books it recommends throughout the book, Your First Novel: An Author Agent Team Share the Keys to Achieving Your Dream is the only book on writing you need. It shows, not t
Jessica
Jan 30, 2010 Jessica rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I've started reading this book, tidbits from different chapters, and I can't wait to finish reading it. Truly. And I can't stand reading nonfiction books. So that's saying something!

After reading this book, I wish that the second half written by the agent, Ann Rittenberg, could be a separate book in and of itself. That book would get a good 3 stars, if not more. But the first half of the book written by Laura Whitcomb was as elementary as a freshman year of high school English class. I am hoping
Matt
Jul 26, 2009 Matt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Having thrown enough first novels away to start an insulation business with all the wasted paper, I decided it might be worth thinking about the process of writing a novel before I start another. From "listening for the idea" through carding the scenes to character development and plot, the book has changed the way I think about the process and inspired me with more confidence. Writing a novel is no longer a source of anxiety but a prospect for lengthy and involved pleasure. Still equally unlike ...more
Amelia
Nov 25, 2008 Amelia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: any aspiring writers
Recommended to Amelia by: my father
Shelves: best-books-ever, own
The greatest book to read if you're looking to write a book. While most books along these "helping" lines are stiff and mostly remind you of your most boring college professor, this book gets up close and personal, skipping around the soft edges and going straight for the hard core. You will not be able to hide from your own fears while reading this book. It offers sound advice from my most favored author.
Kev
Feb 18, 2010 Kev rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
All you need to know to go about writing your first novel from the author of 'A Certain Slant of Light' and 'The Fetch'. From what and how to write, to picking an agent and to getting published. It's not a riveting read but it has all you need to know and having read it I now realise how hard writing a novel, or at least a good one, must be!
Danielle
This was a great guide to writing a novel. Even if it's not your first novel, I still recommend this book for great tips. The first half of the book is about writing your novel, the second half is about getting it published. Great wealth of information!
Kelsey
Sep 17, 2014 Kelsey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Why didn’t I read this when I started my novel???

This book consists of two parts. The first half is devoted to writing your novel and the second half to publishing it.

The first half is a wealth of information on everything from plot to character to memorable detail. There is a good mixture of insights about writing, high level or step-by-step advice, and exercises to help you work towards your goal. Whitcomb also offers buckets of examples from published works and theoretical stories that get yo
Kate Conroy
I have to say that in 2006, this book might have been good. I was only 11 years old in 2006, so I don’t know how predictable the upcoming technology boom was, but I think these authors chose a very poor time to write this book. It took me back to having to write essays in cursive with a black or blue pen back in middle school, before everything was done on computers. The publishing half of this book goes on and on about the ways to mail copies of your manuscript, but none of that is relevant any ...more
Meghan Mathew
Jun 19, 2012 Meghan Mathew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reading the book is actually a forced task for me. I bought it, read a few pages, highlighted a few things, and then didn't touch it for about 12 months. Finally, the process of moving into a new place made me realize that I shouldn't own books I haven't read. It was a new principle and I started with this book.

The first section written by Laura Whitcomb is insightful. It provides a lot of information for those who know nothing. It opens up worlds of information and techniques which if practiced
Menglong Youk
Well, I didn't find this book as helpful as the writing craft books I've read before. Each chapter doesn't contain anything new or interesting which could keep me reading vigorously.
Amity
Mar 20, 2008 Amity rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
While the Craft section has basically what you can find in any other craft book, it does have quite a few good 'I'm stuck' exercises, and it's organized in a very nice way. There's definitely things I learned there.

What makes this really shine though is the Agent section. For anyone who is clueless in what to do once you've written the darn novel, this is essential. Rittenburg is very honest about the amount of work that goes into publishing a book, without making the process completely paralyzi
Laylarenee
Jun 06, 2014 Laylarenee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The honesty is inspirational and the information extremely helpful.
May 30, 2014 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was one of the most helpful books I've read on writing a novel! I highly recommend it!
Samantha
Jul 05, 2013 Samantha rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The first half of the book didn't have any new advice for me. It was written for someone who has not written much and has not had any formal training in creative writing.

The second half, however, was very helpful. We'll find out how helpful as I work on moving my novel from "finished" to "published." There was good, hard tacks, direct information about query letters, contracts, and marketing.
Steve
Jan 25, 2013 Steve rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
Bought this for my daughter last year, and like everyone else in my house, she leaves her books lying all over. I happened to pick it up and was completely engrossed by Dennis Lehane's introduction. I doubt I'll ever write a novel, but it's interesting to see what the enterprise might require.
Dalton Lynne
Aug 04, 2011 Dalton Lynne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely one of the best books I've read on this subject. An author and her agent wrote the book together and the two different perspectives provide invaluable information and guidance on the world of writing and publishing. Highly recommended for anyone interested in this subject.
Cyn
Aug 23, 2010 Cyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Micki
Jul 17, 2012 Micki rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: writing
Interesting in some places, obvious in others. Let's be honest, reading a book like this is not as useful as sitting down and writing. I did not read all of the getting published stuff in depth. Perhaps there are golden jewels of guidance there. This was recommended to me by CJ Box.
Christine
Jul 29, 2012 Christine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is my favorite. Part one is by a published author and covers the ground work for manuscript creation. Part Two is by an agent and runs one through the entire process from query to the day after your novel hits the shelves. Haven't read another one like it.
Tyra
Jul 01, 2012 Tyra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I have been quite surprised at the useful information provided by this author. Not only have I found good tips for writing a novel, and am using them, I have found other good resources on the subject. Great book and easy to read and understand.
Russ
Oct 21, 2011 Russ rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The first half of this book on writing a good novel is good, but I'd recommend Donald Maass's books for that. However, I give it 5 starts for the sheer amount of new information on the querying/publishing business that makes up the second half.
Chasidy
Aug 06, 2008 Chasidy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It gave a lot of help with tips on writing a first novel. Also, the list of books mentioned throughout this book gave me an entire new list of 'to-read' books.
N.T.
read the first half (on writing) over a year ago and now rounding up the second half (on the publishing journey)
Lisa
Jun 20, 2008 Lisa is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone wanting to write a novel
So far I have found this book to be pretty helpful...gives good ideas to start the writing process. Stay tuned...
Rebecca A. Rogers
Sep 30, 2011 Rebecca A. Rogers rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, non-fiction
Great for writers who are just starting out and want to learn more about the business.
Caitlin
Feb 03, 2008 Caitlin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is a nice reference by day and a nice wishful thinking into dreams book at night.
k.wing
Sep 07, 2007 k.wing rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some great tools and exercises in this book. Really good advice about publishing.
  • Page After Page: Discover the Confidence & Passion You Need to Start Writing & Keep Writing (No Matter What!)
  • Writing Fiction: The Practical Guide from New York's Acclaimed Creative Writing School
  • Hooked: Write Fiction That Grabs Readers at Page One & Never Lets Them Go
  • Make a Scene: Crafting a Powerful Story One Scene at a Time
  • First Draft in 30 Days: A Novel Writer's System for Building a Complete and Cohesive Manuscript
  • Dialogue: Techniques and exercises for crafting effective dialogue
  • The Complete Handbook Of Novel Writing: Everything You Need To Know About Creating & Selling Your Work (Writers Digest)
  • Description & Setting
  • 20 Master Plots: And How to Build Them
  • The Plot Whisperer: Secrets of Story Structure Any Writer Can Master
  • The Plot Thickens: 8 Ways to Bring Fiction to Life
  • The Fire in Fiction: Passion, Purpose and Techniques to Make Your Novel Great
  • Bullies, Bastards & Bitches: How to Write the Bad Guys of Fiction
  • Story Structure Architect: A Writer's Guide to Building Dramatic Situations and Compelling Characters
  • 90 Days to Your Novel: A Day-By-Day Plan for Outlining & Writing Your Book
  • What Would Your Character Do?: Personality Quizzes for Analyzing Your Characters
  • Write Is a Verb: Sit Down, Start Writing, No Excuses