Too Great a Temptation: The Seductive Power of America's Super Church

Too Great a Temptation: The Seductive Power of America's Super Church

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  21 ratings  ·  8 reviews
First edition, first printing. Signed, inscribed and dated by author on title page.
Published January 1st 1994 by Summit Publishing Group - Lega

James
My church history professor (Dr. Chute) suggested this book, and I got it on amazon for a whopping 1 penny plus 3.99 shipping. Looks intriguing and quite provocative. Criswell is a superstar to many in circles I have run with (SBC), so it will be interesting to see what Dr. Gregory experienced as a pastor at First Baptist, Dallas.

Edit: Finished the book. A little whiny and defensive, like Dr. Gregory was trying to write an apologetic for his abrupt exodus from First Baptist. If many of the thing...more
Craig
I couldn't help but crane my neck and look at this one, much like a bad car accident. It's the intriguing, ugly, behind-the-scenes look at Gregory's short, tumultuous ministry at First Baptist Dallas. Gregory is definitely talented, intelligent...and bitter. I feel kind of guilty for having enjoyed this one so much.
Becky Nelson
Having been a member at First Baptist Church since the 1980's and one who experienced the pastorate of Joel Gregory, I appreciated his candor as he shared his experience. This book helped me release some of my own confusion and misperceptions over his actions during his pastorate.
I loved this book, although I did think that Gregory seemed a little whiny at times. I wish he had focused more on the hypocrisy of the church instead of Criswell refusing to step aside.
Jef
basis (partly) for 'god's man in texas,' which i was directing at the time. an interesting look into the political struggles of a superchurch, but fairly one-sided.
Gerry Kelly
Incites into the politics of Mega churches and the pitfalls leaders with large egos. Good read for Southern Baptists.
James
Read like fiction. Some would probably say it was. Tremendous account of one of the ugly sides of the Bride of Christ.
Andre
Dr. Gregory shows the danger of ministerial ambition.
Judah
Judah marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
Andy
Andy marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2013
Edwin Titus
Edwin Titus marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2013
Jwtonline
Jwtonline marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2013
Keith Washington
Keith Washington marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2013
Brad
Brad marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2012
Tim
Tim marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2011
The Song of Solomon What We Love about the Black Church: Can We Get a Witness?