Aunt Dimity and the Next of Kin (An Aunt Dimity Mystery, #10)

Aunt Dimity and the Next of Kin (Aunt Dimity #10)

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  1,372 ratings  ·  70 reviews
The next page-turning installment in the phantom-detective mystery series that has won the hearts of cozy mystery fans everywhere
Feeling a touch world-weary, Lori Shepherd decides to become a volunteer at the Radcliffe Infirmary, where she can spread a little good cheer. There she meets Elizabeth Beacham, a kind, retired legal secretary with no family, except a brother w...more
Published February 7th 2006 by Penguin Books (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Aunt Dimity and the Next of Kin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Aunt Dimity and the Next of Kin

Deb
I love the Aunt Dimity books by Nancy Atherton. They are gentle stories, with humor and just enough puzzle to keep me reading. I haven't been able to find all of them at my library and I've been reading them out of order. But I don't think it matters. Aunt Dimity is actually a spirit who communicates to her adopted niece, Lori, through an old journal. Lori is an American who inherited Dimity's cottage (and fortune) in the Cotswolds and lives there with her American lawyer husband and their twin...more
Deanna
I love stories with a little mystery, a mildly twisty plot, nice people and evil people, and the nice people win in the end. Although many writers, including Charles Dickens, Jane Austen, and other eminent names, have used this formula, sometimes its nice to read a "nice, little book." This series is like that, and this one is, I think, my favorite of the series so far. I won't ruin it for you. It's safe for everyone, but small children might not understand some of the nuances. Besides the nice...more
Joy H.
The story was fair, but the author intersperses boring details about her family and domestic life which I find boring and annoying. At least I managed to finish the book, drawn on by the hook of the mystery.

I had hoped that Atherton's cozy mysteries might entertain me as much as Dorothy Gilman's "Mrs. Pollifax" cozy mysteries did, but, alas, Gilman is a hard act to follow.
Maria
These books just keep getting better and better. I like the more mature Lori. Her interactions with people from all walks of life make her a great role model, not to mention that these people are very interesting. Miss Beacham is a case in point, as are Blinkers and Big Al. I can't wait to try her raisin bread, although Lori mentioning that she had to make it seven times before she got a good loaf makes me worry a bit. As Lori tries to find out more about Miss Beacham's life, another world opens...more
Debbie
I've been reading cozy mysteries as research since I have a couple series I'm writing. Unfortunately, I'm finding that most are rather disappointing. They aren't well written, the characters are pretty two dimensional, the mysteries are transparent and so on.

This one was a pleasant surprise. Lori Shepherd has inherited a house in England from her late mother's best friend, "Aunt" Dimity. She found out when she took possession of the house that Aunt Dimity can still communicate with her through...more
Sandy
Jun 22, 2010 Sandy rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Sandy by: Judie W.
Shelves: fiction-mystery
I enjoyed Lori's adventure as she probes into the seemingly mundane and obscure life of the now deceased Elizabeth Beacham as she searches for Ms. Beacham's next of kin--a brother who mysteriously disappeared from Ms. Beacham's life. This book illustrated that there is so much more to so many people than we ever realize, or know, and made me appreciate the humble and quiet way in which Ms. Beacham went about her life helping others, avoiding the limelight and certainly not seeking after the prai...more
Tab
First time reading a book from the Aunt Dimity series.

If you expect madness and mayhem, you will be disappointed. This is a very cozy mystery. Snuggles soft.

This is not the type of mystery I would normally read. I kept seeing Aunt Dimity Slays the Dragon at the library, the fab green cover with the dragon and knight, and finally caved and picked up a book from the series. It looks like all of the covers for the later bookshave been redone in an retro-mod flat-color graphic design. I'm a sucker...more
Elizabeth
I haven't read an Aunt Dimity book for a few months so it was fun to return to her. This time Lori is on the search for a missing brother of a woman she befriended in the hospital where she does volunteer work. As always, the characters are very real and the story holds you to the surprising end.
Tammy
Despite my misgivings about the stuffed animals, I have to say this was a delightful way to pass the time. What I like best about this series is that there's none of the silly plot devices that annoy me so much. No car chases, no damsel in distress. Just a nice, light mystery.
The Flooze
Quite the tale, and perfectly in line with what I'd hoped for from this installment.

While visiting lonely patients at Radcliffe, Lori finds a kindred spirit in Miss Elizabeth Beacham. Their friendship is distressingly cut short, however, when the poor woman succumbs to her illness. Fortunately for Lori - and for us - Miss Beacham's death has left some oddities unresolved, and we all know Lori can't resist a mystery.

What follows is the type of investigation that allows Lori's finer points to shin...more
Kristen
Nancy Atherton has delivered another delightfully charming and cheeky Aunt Dimity mystery.

This time around Lori makes a new friend in Miss Beacham when doing hospital volunteer work. Thinking she will have more time to get to know Miss Beacham, Lori is distraught to discover that her friend passed away suddenly from her cancer.

But when Lori receives a letter from Miss Beacham after her passing offering her an item from her flat of Lori's choice, she's stunned and shocked. And when she visits the...more
Diane Heath
The fun thing about Lori is her tendency to jump to conclusions (a previous acquaintance thought she should have a closet full of gold medals in conclusion jumping). Unlike most detective/cozy mysteries Lori does not solve the case in hand but has theories that are disproved as the truth is revealed. The mystery of Miss Elizabeth Beacham and her vanished brother is a splendid example of this ongoing theme.
Janet McCord
I had forgotten how much I love the Aunt Dimity series of books. It's been a long time since I've read one and I'm picking up with this one where I think I left off. The books are just a wonderful way to lose yourself in an afternoon with some joyful, cozy English light reading. This was no exception and even though I had lost some momentum and had to be re-introduced to Lori and the cast of characters it was still such fun to go along while she and new friends try to solve the mystery of a dyin...more
Scilla
Laurie meets Elizabeth Beacham while volunteering at the hospital and quickly makes friends and has wonderful conversations with her. It appears that Elizabeth has no other visiters, but she had moved to Oxford to be near a brother. Miss Beacham dies, and soon Lori finds she has made some very generous bequests to people Lori has told her about. Then Lori gets a letter from the lawyer telling her to go to Miss Beacham's apartment and choose something for herself. Lori finds the apartment is gorg...more
Dharia Scarab

4 sta...more
Text Addict
Love this series. Yes, it's totally a feel-good series, and the message is laid on a little thick in this one, but I love it anyway. It makes me want to go out and improve my life.

Also, isn't that cover great?
Cindy
I thought the series would wane a bit for me as I would get bored with the talking book thing. But, I like the characters and the fun way she puts the story together.
Carol
Lori has become a volunteer at the hospital, visiting patients who have no other friends or relatives to visit. While there, she befriends Miss Beacham who is dying of cancer and the two become firm friends. After the death of Miss Beacham, Lori is tasked with finding her brother and helping to catalogue the items in her flat for auction. Lori finds out that Miss Beacham has left large sums of money to various people and organisations to help them. Lori enlists the help of Miss Beacham's neighbo...more
Paulette Webb
I love all of the Aunt Dimity books. They are funny and heart warming. The characters are human with all our quirkiness.
Kathy
Lori volunteers at a hospital to sit with patients who have no apparent visitors, and in her new capacity of giving meets a woman who is dying of cancer. Lori and Ms. Beacham bond quickly, and Lori is grieved to learn of her passing while she is away from the hospital during a weekend with Bill and the twins. Her relationship with Ms. Beacham is far from over though, as a letter in the mail from her dearly departed friend sends Lori off on another mystery in which she discovers just who this rem...more
Carlin
This was #10 in the series. It was lovely. I'm skipping to #15 now. Wish I could have read them in order but I'm too impatient to wait for the ones on hold.
Lisa
A very quaint mystery story - easy, light reading if you're in the mood...
Teatime
This is another gem. Loved it
Mary
Jun 10, 2014 Mary rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of the English cozy mystery.
Recommended to Mary by: Michael
One of the best in the series: Lori's search for the brother of a newly deceased friend, Miss Beacham, leads her into the busy streets and shops of Oxford to see the benefits of Miss Beacham's bequests. She finds Gabriel a good companion in her search for Miss Beacham's next of kin. Her description of the antique treasures in Miss Beacham's apartment is a treasure in itself to read. And there is a cat, Stanley, who finds a good home in Finch. Altogether a very satisfying read.
Ashley
This is one of my reliable English mysteries. The Aunt Dimity series is rarely the classic murder mystery, but a quick enjoyable read none-the-less. I like living vicariously through Lori with her lack of financial worry...adoring husband...live-in nanny...and cozy cottage on a lot of land. (Although I make myself feel better knowing that I don't think she spends enough time with her twin boys because of the whole 24 hr nanny thing while she's off on her adventures).
Christine
I liked this mystery of the series better than some of the others for multiple reason. First, there are connections with characters met in the earlier books that are continued 9especially the Oxford connections). Second, Lori is in the role of matchmaker in this novel insteaad of being constantly tempted to cheat on ehr husband. Both of these features add to the flesing out of the world in these books, and the maincharacter's growth as a person.
Julie Bestry
Dec 19, 2010 Julie Bestry rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: mystery fans who like cozy stories
Finally, an Aunt Dimity story where we don't have to be embarrassed about Lori's behavior...at least as it regards attractive men. (Yep, she is stubborn and fly-off-the-handle-ish, but there's something understandable about Lori's moral outrage in this story.)

I have to say, I did miss the Finch characters, and even Bill and Dimity played awfully minor roles, but this was a nice, solid story for a cozy, snowy afternoon.
Dimity
Meh. My mom reads this series (and no, I was not named after these books) and I've tried to read them before without finishing. It took me a while to decide to finish it because I find the protagonist to be extremely annoying. It was not really good but I can see myself reading more of these books in the future for the simple fact my mother has them all and it's not taxing reading.

Kuulei Metta
Oct 11, 2013 Kuulei Metta rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: All ages
The Aunt Dimity series is not really a mystery series, rather a "cozy" reading. I especially like all the books because they are straightforward stories and are very well written. From Aunt Dimity's Death through Aunt Dimity and the Prince, each one tells a wonderful story. Amidst the turmoil of everyday life, a retreat to Aunt Dimity's cottage is welcome and will be enjoyed by anyone.
  • Angel at Troublesome Creek (Augusta Goodnight #1)
  • Spanish Dagger (China Bayles, #15)
  • Death by Diamonds (A Vintage Magic Mystery #3)
  • The Ghost and the Bogus Bestseller (Haunted Bookshop Mystery #6)
  • Henrietta Who? (Inspector Sloan #2)
  • Corpse in the Crystal Ball (Fortune Teller Mystery, #2)
  • Spackled and Spooked (A Do-It-Yourself Mystery, #2)
  • Engaged to Die (Death on Demand, #14)
  • The Skeleton in the Closet
  • Spider Dance (Irene Adler, #8)
  • Down the Garden Path (Ellie Haskell Mystery, #2)
Nancy Atherton is not a white-haired Englishwoman with a softly wrinkled face, a wry smile, and wise gray eyes, nor does she live in a thatched cottage behind a babbling brook in a tranquil, rural corner of the Cotswolds.

She has never taken tea with a vicar (although she drank an Orange Squash with one once) and she doesn't plan to continue writing after her allotted time on earth (though such pla...more
More about Nancy Atherton...
Aunt Dimity's Death (Aunt Dimity, #1) Aunt Dimity and the Duke (An Aunt Dimity Mystery #2) Aunt Dimity Beats the Devil (An Aunt Dimity Mystery, #6) Aunt Dimity's Good Deed (Aunt Dimity, #3) Aunt Dimity Digs In (An Aunt Dimity Mystery, #4)