This First Thanksgiving Day: A Counting Story

This First Thanksgiving Day: A Counting Story

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  112 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Celebrate the very first Thanksgiving in this exuberant counting story from best-selling author Laura Krauss Melmed. From I dressed in linen to 10 making baskets, this rollicking verse shows Wampanoag and Pilgrim friends preparing for and sharing a wonderful Thanksgiving feast.

Vibrant illustrations from critically acclaimed artist Mark Buehner only add to the fun! Count up...more
Published September 4th 2001 by HarperCollins (first published January 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about This First Thanksgiving Day, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about This First Thanksgiving Day

Margaret
Cute for counting. Good copy in our local library, but might buy if the price was right.
Erica Rhodes
Before anything else, I have to say counting from one to twelve seems kind of an arbitrary number. Twelve has no significance with Thanksgiving, the harvest, or anything else. It would have made more sense to count from one to ten like many counting books I've seen.

That being said, I think the book was very cute, almost a little too cute. The illustrations were very child-like and almost overly happy, but I guess that's part of the appeal to children. More classic or beautiful artwork seems to h...more
Annie Zuckerman
This book counts from one to twelve to discuss how the Pilgrims and the Wanapanoag Indians prepare for their Thanksgiving feast. The story demonstrates how different cultures prepare for this holiday and the various preparations that are necessary to help all of the festivities come together. Melmed does a good job of catering to a young audience with the use of basic vocabulary and rhyming sentences. This is a great book to use within the classroom because it helps students learn the basics of...more
Emily Hollander
Genre: Poetry
Grade Level: K-2

This poem about the first Thanksgiving Day is a very enriching poem to young children. It allows students to learn the history of the first thanksgiving and how everything was prepared to make the feast. Not only does it give a fun, educational account of the first Thanksgiving, but it also incorporates a counting up to the feast. This is a good tool for pre-k and Kindergarten students. For a follow up activity, I could ask the students to write what their families d...more
Kimberly
This is a short counting book (from 1-12) that shows Wampanoug and Pilgrim friends coming together for a Thanksgiving feast. Each page flips back and forth between both groups showing what they did to prepare for the big day. It is told in an easy rhyme and includes some really spectacular illustrations. Charlotte loves to find the rabbits and turkey that are hidden throughout several of the pictures.

Crystal
My problem with this book is what other people seem to think is the strength - the illustrations.

This is another book that romanticizes the First Thanksgiving. The Pilgrims and Wampanoag are smiling so hard their eyes are closed. It looks like summer and everyone is just so very happy and cheerful & the celebration looks like how we would act it out, but not so much like it probably was.
Dorian
It's a very cute book. It counts and rhymes, but it is very stereotypical first Thanksgiving picture (the relationship between the pilgrims and Native Americans was perfect). Not that I expect an early childhood book to go into that deep of detail about that, but it works in the opposite direction.
Terry
It's a fun way to introduce where the Thanksgiving holiday comes from. It's a well-crafted story that allows parents to count other objects on the page, not just the ones described in the narrative. If the number is 4, you'll find four fish, four fisherman, four birds.
Holly Nelson
This is a great book to introduce counting to a kindergarten class. Each page is beautifully illustrated with the deception of Thanksgiving through rhyming texts. It's a good book to use around Thanksgiving time and incorporate a lesson plan.
Melanie
Beautiful illustrations and counting fun for your preschooler with a lovely rhythm to the rhymes. Get a look at some of the real history and practices of the Wapanoag and Pilgrim inhabitants for a fun Thanksgiving read.
Cherry
Jul 19, 2008 Cherry rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Cherry by: Marci
OH We love this Thanksgiving book, I pull it out each Thanksgiving. I think it is one that my children will remember and what to show their children when they come to visit Grand and Grandp's at Thanksgiving, At least I hope.
Michelle
I loved the illustrations in this book. Every time I read it to my little girl I would find more things hidden in the pictures. It's a darling story to teach the basics of the first thanksgiving. Very cute!
Dolly
Nov 23, 2008 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a fun story combining Thanksgiving holiday tradition, (somewhat of) a historical perspective, counting and a hidden bunny on every page to boot. Our girls enjoyed this story very much.
Joann10
A perfect book to begin the teaching the preschoolers about Thanksgiving. The illustrations are wonderful and the 3 and 4 year old have enjoyed looking at this on their own over and over.
Mrs. Gabrielle Zastrow's
We made a lot of connections to this book from what we have learned about Native Americans! It was an awesome counting and rhyming book. We enjoyed searching for the turkey on each page.
Jeannie
This book is so much fun. You have to find the hidden turkey in each picture. The illustrations are just gorgeous.
Stephanie
Nov 08, 2010 Stephanie rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Stephanie by: Barnes and Noble
LOVE the Artwork and simplicity of the story. The boys love looking at the pictures - they are so rich.
Lindsay
While not necessarily historically accurate, it seems at least culturally sensitive. Better than many.
Teri
A counting book that uses the pilgrims and native americans. Really like this one!
K.
Great read for the Thanksgiving holiday.
Amanda
0 and up, Thanksgiving, counting, hidden pictures
Leyla
Loved it, the counting!!
Yossi G
Yossi G marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Joe Giles
Joe Giles marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2014
Deidra
Deidra added it
May 23, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
The Rainbabies I Love You As Much... Little Oh Fright Night Flight Hurry Hurry Have You Heard