Start by marking “The Lion Tamer's Daughter ” as Want to Read:
The Lion Tamer's Daughter

The Lion Tamer's Daughter

Melly and Melanie are mirror images of each other. Are they twins separated at birth? Or is something more sinister afoot? It's a race against time and destiny to discover the truth, for if the two meet before the allotted time, who knows what their fate might be?

"Do you know what a doppelganger is? We did a play about one four years ago... the hero had this double who see
Published July 9th 1999 by MacMillan (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about The Lion Tamer's Daughter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lion Tamer's Daughter

Janet
The Lion Tamer's Daughter is one of four ghostly stories in this collection. All four show ordinary young people encountering something otherworldly and inexplicable. Time travel, ghosts, and two sets of unusual 'twins' are featured. (As a twin myself, I loved these.) Dickinson is a master of not telling you too much -- he stays within one character's viewpoint and makes you long to know what's going on in other characters' minds. Highly recommended for when you're in the mood for fantasy-in-eve ...more
Bex Godfrey
Jan 20, 2016 Bex Godfrey rated it liked it
Short interesting take on the doppelgänger myth that was a bit mysterious and a bit undeveloped. An ok read.
Peggi Warner-lalonde
I thoroughly enjoyed these four stories with a supernatural twist.
Kathryn McCary
Every time I read this book I see another bit of depth or perspective.

It is 4 stories, unlinked except by theme. They involve doubles, mirror images and enantiomorphic images. . .and each has some element of magic. The first (shortest) and last (longest) are even, in a sense, reflections of each other. And each involves an adolescent grappling more or less with the question of personal identity.

The first, "The Spring" always strikes me (when I am not reading it) as sad and a bit disturbing, but
Mathew
I really enjoyed this book although there were many puzzles left unanswered. Some readers may be frustrated by this, but I felt that it could lead to interesting discussion. I would consider using it with Year 6 since there were some moments that were genuinely unnerving. The plot is original and I also thought Dickinson did well to sound like a teenage narrator. It was also interesting to see strong relationships between mothers and their children whereas the fathers were either dead or perceiv ...more
Grace
Jan 26, 2016 Grace rated it really liked it
This was a very entertaining book! I picked it up, having nothing else to read and just couldn't stop reading. The characters were well developed, the plot was interesting, and the writing wasn't too difficult but not too easy either. My idea of a perfect book. But why did I give it four stars instead of five? Well, the ending confused me a lot. It wasn't until the main character explained what had happened while talking to another character, did I understand, but it still left me feeling a bit ...more
Jill
Dec 26, 2010 Jill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's always difficult to rate a book that is made up of several short stories, even if all the stories are by the same author. While I enjoyed a couple of the stories more than others, I found myself captivated from cover to cover. Dickinson's writing style creates characters that the reader can relate to and understand. I will definitely be looking for more books by Peter Dickinson in the future.
Josie
Mar 17, 2013 Josie rated it it was ok
Bit of a weird one, this.

Re-read in March 2013: I like Keith's narrative voice, and the ordinary-ness of the settings in the UK, but the denouement with Monsieur Albert and the mirror seemed to go on for too long. I also felt like the explanation wasn't terribly satisfying.
Debbie
Dec 27, 2013 Debbie added it
Haven't read short stories in a while - nor supernatural ones. Happily both. And a journey back into teen fiction
Sally
Dec 08, 2009 Sally rated it it was ok
Hm, two stars or three? I went with two in the end because this just wasn't my cup of tea. I like magic I can "believe" in so to speak but this was just presented as rather silly.
Eilonwy
Jan 02, 2015 Eilonwy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

A really excellent story collection. Each story gets better in sequence, and the title story is just fantastic. Highly recommended. This book deserves to be better known.
Mrs_Simonis Sharna
Mrs_Simonis Sharna rated it liked it
Jul 01, 2012
Polly
Dec 20, 2015 Polly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So good. Uncanny, odd stories, and such excellent ones.
Sarah rated it it was ok
Mar 18, 2011
Samantha
Samantha rated it it was amazing
Aug 11, 2012
Eve
Eve rated it liked it
Jan 20, 2013
Jmc
Jmc rated it it was amazing
Dec 21, 2014
Cyber
Cyber rated it it was amazing
Oct 29, 2015
Rel
Rel rated it it was amazing
Oct 22, 2008
Izzy Matuschka
Izzy Matuschka rated it really liked it
Sep 05, 2014
Lisa
Lisa rated it really liked it
Jan 05, 2016
Alexandra
Alexandra rated it really liked it
Jan 31, 2010
Elena
Elena rated it it was amazing
Nov 11, 2011
Roya MD
Roya MD rated it really liked it
Jun 27, 2015
Sarah Tucks
Sarah Tucks rated it really liked it
Oct 25, 2016
Sky Mileto
Sky Mileto rated it it was ok
Feb 07, 2015
Catherine Reid
Catherine Reid rated it liked it
Jun 15, 2014
Alice
Alice rated it liked it
Sep 11, 2010
Gemma
Gemma rated it it was amazing
Sep 21, 2016
Kitty
Kitty rated it it was amazing
Mar 01, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Peter Malcolm de Brissac Dickinson OBE FRSL (born 16 December 1927) was a prolific English author and poet, best known for children's books and detective stories.

Peter Dickinson lived in Hampshire with his second wife, author Robin McKinley. He wrote more than fifty novels for adults and young readers. He won both the Carnegie Medal and the Whitbread Children's Award twice, and his novel The Blue
More about Peter Dickinson...