Start by marking “Surprised By Truth: 11 Converts Give the Biblical and Historical Reasons for Becoming Catholic” as Want to Read:

Surprised By Truth: 11 Converts Give the Biblical and Historical Reasons for Becoming Catholic (Surprised by Truth #1)

4.33  ·  Rating Details ·  1,280 Ratings  ·  48 Reviews
The first testimonies to give you all the reasons for becoming Catholic

These eleven personal conversion accounts are unlike any you’ve ever read, they’re packed with biblical theological and historical proofs for Catholicism. Each year thousands of atheists, Evangelicals, Fundamentalists, and Pentecostals are being surprised by Catholic truth – and these converts tell you
Published April 7th 2016 by Basilica Press (first published September 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Surprised By Truth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Surprised By Truth

K.D. Absolutely
Dec 07, 2013 K.D. Absolutely rated it it was ok
Recommended to K.D. by: Sir Henry
This book failed to create much impression to me. In fact, it is a bit pretentious. Maybe because I have been Catholic since the time I was baptized (49 years ago) few months after I was born. Since the time I was tagging along with my mom going to the church during my elementary days, I have never thought of joining or converting to other religions. I was born a Catholic and I will die as a Catholic. No ifs nor buts.

Don't get me wrong. I admire people, some of my friends included, who are conve
Jason
Mar 16, 2010 Jason rated it liked it
Shelves: catholic
It seemed that I traveled the road alone on my own journey into the Catholic Church. This book proved that many have traveled that road before me.

I was not alone in concluding that Jesus did establish a church, that church is visible, and it has authority. Other former Evangelicals also realized that the belief in the Real Presence of the Eucharist is supported in scripture and has been the historical belief in Christianity.

Interesting to see how other people's journeys so closely paralleled m
Sheryl
Jul 25, 2011 Sheryl rated it liked it
Shelves: memoir-biography
Yes this is my 5 book this month about Catholic theology by converts (along with a metric ton of online research). If you think I'm thinking of doing the unthinkable, you could be right.
Bob Costello
Jun 15, 2012 Bob Costello rated it really liked it
Here are my highlights from this great book:

“Knowledge of Church history is the death of Protestantism” John Henry Newman

One cannot examine Catholicism and not develop an admiration for it – an admiration that almost invariably leads to becoming convinced of its truth. Chesterton

Early Church was ruled by bishops. Early Church history attested that the apostles had laid hands on men and installed them as bishops.

The very foundation doctrine – the doctrine of what Scripture is – we have to trust
Cindy
Aug 02, 2013 Cindy rated it it was amazing
I read this book years ago. The conversion stories always inspire me to learn more about my faith.
Trevor
Dec 06, 2011 Trevor rated it it was ok
Most of these eleven 'converts' seem to speak with virtually identical voices. Of the eleven ten are male, and it sems to me, big fat American egos at that. Mostly the are coming from a fundamentalist protestant background and are convinced by the authenticity of Catholic teaching and its traditions when compared to the endless splitting of the protestant world.
These are not really spiritual stories, they speak to your head, not your heart. They are about power, being elite, in with the in cro
Ben De Bono
Jan 21, 2013 Ben De Bono rated it it was amazing
Shelves: theology
I read this slowly over the past six months and found it to be a wonderful resource. The book is exactly what it promises on the cover: stories of converts to Catholicism - mostly evangelicals but several are from wider Protestant backgrounds as well.

While I really got a lot out of the book, I would probably only recommend it to a limited audience. Committed Protestants are unlikely to be swayed as the book is more testimonies than hardcore Catholic apologetics. Likewise, long time Catholics wo
Frank
Apr 29, 2009 Frank rated it really liked it
Madrid is a publisher and editor and has written many aplogetic books. I have listened to him on TV but have not read him. This book turned into a much better book than I expected. One person in particualTim Staples offer so much information on the Bible I would love to read his story over. He also stated that for him it was not sex or drugs or music but books. He felt he was addicted to books and I'm not sure if he considered that good or bad but placed it in the same catagory as drugs. But the ...more
Jeff McCormack
Aug 16, 2010 Jeff McCormack rated it did not like it
Shelves: apologetics
I found this book pretty sad, mainly because all of the "converts" seemed to not have a good foundational view of Christianity to begin with. The truths they discovered were only discovered because of their faulty theological views they held to already. The response to this book, entitled Seduced by Error: A Protestant Response to "Surprised by Truth" by Greg Loren Durand showed point by point how these errors led to the ease of conversion for these converts.
Joan Haselman
Sep 20, 2008 Joan Haselman rated it it was amazing
I learned that God seeks us even more than we
seek Him. I learned that He is incredibly
generous in Mercy. I learned that we are all in
this together and we are so fortunate when we find
our One Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Faith.
Tessin
Feb 02, 2011 Tessin rated it it was amazing
The testimonies in this book and the biblical and historical information within them brought me hope and joy!
Jonathan
Jul 27, 2012 Jonathan rated it liked it
Let's start with my biggest criticisms of this book. There are eleven conversion stories and only one of them is by a woman. While Scott and Kimberly Hahn's book achieved the perfect balance, Surprised by Truth does not come close. When a family converts, it is just not the head of the household that converts. We could use a wife's perspective.

Still if you like conversion stories, there are several here. They seem to all follow somewhat of a pattern. They stereotyped and strawmaned Catholicism
Daniel Lower
Nov 14, 2010 Daniel Lower rated it really liked it
I actually really enjoyed this. The book is almost worth it just for the stories of conversion alone, all of which are quite fascinating. Most of the stories are of double-jump converts to Catholicism via Protestantism, and the converts' theological as well as personal journeys provide lots of moments for laughing and for introspection on the part of the reader. While the book is definitely edited with an angle to conversion to Catholicism, it should be noted that as it challenges Protestants, C ...more
Richly
Apr 26, 2009 Richly rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: new catholics, returning catholics, seekers, converts
Recommended to Richly by: Tim O'Brien
Shelves: catholicism
Great book of testimonies of those who converted/returned to the Catholic faith. Some of the testimonies diverged into apologetics which didn't seemed to detract from the powerful personal stories of the converts, but a great, quick read nevertheless. A great book for seekers of the Faith and for those who need a book to strengthen it.
Victor Chininin
Jul 29, 2013 Victor Chininin rated it it was ok
It is hard to write and read about testimonies of others. In general, I appreciated the candor of the contributors to this book. However, I feel the tone of the book betrayed a little uncharitableness towards the "other side" if not a little animosity. This is the kind of book one must read soaked in prayer and with the Bible at hand.
Rebecca
Feb 12, 2009 Rebecca rated it it was amazing
An amazing read for anyone on a spiritual journey!!!! This book is filled with short stories of conversion that are an inspiration. I couldn't put the book down and finished it in a day. I highly recommend it!
Brooke
Jan 10, 2009 Brooke rated it did not like it
I actually received this book from our married couple mentors....like I said before in a previous review, I'm not turning catholic, however I do want to read this book....stay tuned!

So honestly...if you aren't catholic this book can be VERY offensive. Just to warn you...I didn't like it at all.
Kristi
Feb 27, 2010 Kristi rated it really liked it
I loved reading about people's conversion stories and the apologetic arguments. Very interesting book.
Sharon
Apr 15, 2013 Sharon rated it liked it
Interesting accounts of conversions to the Catholic Church. I found some of the accounts too detailed but enjoyed the book for the most part.
Clare Omvig
This book has helped me heaps to come to grips with the questions that I have been asking for decades...really ispiring and useful! I really recommend it to everyone.
Katy
Sep 10, 2011 Katy rated it really liked it
Shelves: spiritual
All of the Surprised by Truth books, as well as The Journey Home show on EWTN, were very helpful in my Conversion to the Catholic Church.
Reggia
Feb 28, 2009 Reggia rated it really liked it
Very powerful book ... fascinated by the testimonies and nearly became a revert.
нєνєℓ  ¢ανα
Mar 15, 2013 нєνєℓ ¢ανα rated it it was amazing
It is one of the best books I ever read about convertion and the path to the Holy Catholic Church. I love all the testimonies and I recomend it fully to friends and catholics alike.
Hortensia Alvarez
Oct 24, 2012 Hortensia Alvarez rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Faithful christians who are willing to search for the truth
Truly inspiring.Testimonies that made me cry. Journeys of faith that arrived to our Blessed Catholic Church. Libro de testimonios maravillosos, me llegaron al alma.
Sara
Aug 04, 2012 Sara rated it it was amazing
Amazing conversion stories that fill me with such hope and love! I love being a Catholic!!
Sara
Jun 10, 2017 Sara rated it really liked it
Read for the first time in 2000, revisiting as I weed my library. I liked the variety of this book & there is also value in seeing how converts from different backgrounds approach & work out the same questions. I found a couple of these people quite sympa. This is a keeper.
John Paul Ryan
Jun 05, 2017 John Paul Ryan rated it it was amazing
Not gonna lie, sometimes I wish I was a Protestant/ non-Christian just to experience the rush, the joy of converting and coming home to the fullness of truth that is Catholicism. Yet at the same time I'm perfectly content in my cradle 👼🏻
Cielbert
Jun 23, 2016 Cielbert rated it it was amazing
This riveting book has completely captured my attention since its eye-catching cover and exciting foreword. A book where written testimonies by testifiers of faith narrate their journey back to home. I love how this book speaks in a spiritual level to me (all of it!) since I remember, prior to reading this, that I was in a verge of distress--a crossroad between stray and stay. And I’m so glad that I picked this up.

Thank God for this book! Thank the contributors too!

But no matter how amazing a bo
Jill
11 converts, including former Protestant ministers, give their conversion testimonies. They list the issues that they had with the Catholic Church, and how they reasoned through them, providing biblical references. An excellent book for people considering converting, who are troubled because a friend or family member is converting, or who just want to learn more about the Catholic Church. Lots of strong biblical references. Many of the contributors were very anti-Catholic prior to discovering th ...more
Leah Gorsich
May 04, 2017 Leah Gorsich rated it it was amazing
This book is a great read...because it is about all these stories of how people converted to Catholicism. Many of these stories are shocking, and include miracles. This is a very good book and I suggest you to read it if you would like something is the religious field.
  • Born Fundamentalist, Born Again Catholic
  • Catholicism and Fundamentalism
  • Rome Sweet Home: Our Journey to Catholicism
  • By What Authority? An Evangelical Discovers Catholic Tradition
  • Where We Got The Bible: Our Debt to the Catholic Church
  • Why Do Catholics Do That?
  • Crossing the Tiber
  • Mother Angelica: The Remarkable Story of a Nun, Her Nerve, and a Network of Miracles
  • Evangelical is Not Enough: Worship of God in Liturgy and Sacrament
  • Evangelium Vitae: The Gospel of Life
  • Render Unto Caesar: Serving the Nation by Living our Catholic Beliefs in Political Life
  • Compendium: Catechism of the Catholic Church
  • Humanae Vitae: Of Human Life
  • Catholic and Christian: An Explanation of Commonly Misunderstood Catholic Beliefs
  • How the Catholic Church Built Western Civilization
  • True Devotion to Mary
PATRICK MADRID is the publisher of Envoy Magazine, a journal of contemporary Catholic thought, and the director of the Envoy Institute of Belmont Abbey College. Since its inception in 1996, the Envoy team has garnered numerous journalism awards, including several first-place awards in the magazine-of-the-year “General Excellence” category from the Catholic Press Association.

Patrick is the author o
More about Patrick Madrid...

Surprised by Truth (3 books)
  • Surprised by Truth 2: 15 Men and Women Give the Biblical and Historical Reasons For Becoming Catholic
  • Surprised by Truth 3: 10 More Converts Explain the Biblical and Historical Reasons for Becoming Catholic