Start by marking “Set-Apart Femininity: God's Sacred Intent for Every Young Woman” as Want to Read:
Set-Apart Femininity: God's Sacred Intent for Every Young Woman

Set-Apart Femininity: God's Sacred Intent for Every Young Woman

4.12  ·  Rating Details ·  1,177 Ratings  ·  77 Reviews
Leslie Ludy, author of Authentic Beauty and the bestselling When God Writes Your Love Story, revealshow a young woman's pursuit of acceptance and sameness directly counters her true purpose—to be set apart by her love for God and God's love for her.

This empowering message filled with inspiring stories, personal illustrations, and a foundation of God's Word to awaken young
Published August 1st 2008 by Harvest House Publishers (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Set-Apart Femininity, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Set-Apart Femininity

Crystal
Oct 01, 2009 Crystal rated it did not like it
Wow. Um. I really don't understand why everyone and their mom loves this book. It kinda sucked. I'm giving it one star because her intent was good and she had a few bits of important advice hiding between the other pages of crap but other than that I would give it zero stars. One thing that really annoyed me throughout this book was the fact that she was so dramatic and made these really over the top statements about people. She also has a real problem with the movie The Notebook. She doesn't li ...more
Traci
Aug 30, 2012 Traci rated it it was ok
I had hoped to have this book to add to my arsenal of Great reads for teen girls seeking to be pure. I would never recommend this book. When the author openly attacks another Christian author and her views/ stand and book, I lose a lot of respect for them, and this is exactly what this author did. She also takes a very harsh view on this subject. I don't mind the harsh view, but when it is coupled with her criticism I think it says more about this author as a person-bitter, harsh, judgmental. We ...more
Bill
Jan 30, 2015 Bill rated it it was ok
Shelves: christian-life
The books a dad of four daughters reads! Significant reservations about this one.

Expanding on that comment: I appreciated the high standard of obedience/holiness, and there were a few good moments (2 chapters) where this was explicitly based on the gospel. Which was frustrating, because for most of the book the message was "try harder, be holier", where the focus was (very much) on what we MUST do rather than on what Jesus has done. That was my main reservation, but the author's manner (self des
Krystal Esmi
Mar 20, 2012 Krystal Esmi rated it it was ok
(Sigh) I wanted to love this book so much...but I didn't. I give it 2.5 stars. Leslie at times seemed arrogant and proud as if she is the queen of virtuous womanhood. There were also times of repetitive rambling as well. I didn't agree with a lot of what she said in regards to the beauty of a person. She made it seem as though there is NOTHING lovable about a person until they have Christ, I don't agree because Christ lovingly looked down from heaven while WE were yet sinners and died for us. Mo ...more
Natasha Atkerson
Oct 18, 2010 Natasha Atkerson rated it it was amazing
A wonderful read! Very thought provoking! It challenged me that I'm not living the life I could be living. I intend to live a "set apart" life from now on. Its not that I was "horrible" person per-say. But I know I can do more for God! That He can use me in so many more ways than just the ones I'm comfortable. I came away from this book refreshed, challenged and encouraged to walk closer with God.

Amy
I came into this book with pretty high hopes but ended up being disappointed. I had read one other book by Leslie Ludy prior to this one and remembered liking it. I have also read her blog/ezine "Set-Apart Girl" so I thought I would probably enjoy this book too. However, apart from a few convicting passages I found the book disappointing. For one, she so frequently quoted her (or her husband's) other books that it felt like very little of it was new material - but rather a re-hash of books she h ...more
Hosanna
Oct 01, 2016 Hosanna rated it it was amazing
There are so many young women today who call themselves Christians... but what if we were truly set apart for God? What if our lives shone with heavenly beauty that only comes from Him? What if we were reaching out to the lost, loving the unlovely, taking care of the orphans, and sharing the Good News?
Set-Apart Femininity show the fruitlessness of the modern, American church. Leslie Ludy shares her own struggles with seeking after her "Prince Charming" and ignoring the true King who desires her
Kristy
Oct 12, 2010 Kristy rated it it was amazing
A great book that I received for my 26th birthday (proof that this is NOT just for the tween population), and I loved it. I cried so much reading this one. It was really what I needed at this time (and every future time) in my life. It helped me to refocus on what's important to me, and reminded me that nothing good will ever come of settling for less than what I know in my heart is right for me. Sometimes you just get to a point in life where you're tired...tired of living the right way and doi ...more
Halee
Nov 09, 2014 Halee rated it liked it
Not sure what to think about this book. :/ I really like the first part, but the last 50 pages were kinda bumming. But don't take my word for it! Just use your own judgemnt.
Feb 08, 2009 Jennifer rated it really liked it
I much preferred this to Captivating, the more popular title in this category. It lifted me beyond myself. It didn't seek to be build my self-esteem but rather my esteem of God. Ludy is very passionate and that works for the most part, but if you disagree with her interpretation or application of scripture in a particular point, that intensity doesn't really make up for it. Overall, I thought it was a great book on the purpose and pursuit of godly womanhood. I highly recommend it to any woman wh ...more
Kirsty
Jun 02, 2010 Kirsty rated it it was amazing
One of the best books I have ever read. Of course, there were one or two minor things that I disagreed with (such as her ideas on communion), but nothing serious. If you are looking for a book to call you to the fullness of life that Christ has for you, this is the one to read! :-)
Hannah
Jan 30, 2013 Hannah rated it liked it
This book was great in many ways, however I think it didn't address some of the basic issues like grace in a friendly/sound way. I feel as if it rushed from a very brief introduction on the foundational healing that comes from Christ's grace, straight into our role as servants - as if this healing would come straight away. The approach is very 'gung-ho' which in itself I don't really have a problem with, but I do think that with such a delicate issue, it should be gently led, not pushed and forc ...more
Amanda Tero
May 14, 2015 Amanda Tero rated it really liked it
There was a lot to process after I closed this book. The main thing I stepped away with was the reminder of the power of prayer. I also appreciated the focus on Christ and not relationships.

Two quotes that really stood out to me are:
"...one of the ways that you can tell something is an 'idol' or 'other lover' in your life is that you are *unwilling to let it go*; you can't picture life without it." (Chapter Four)

"One of the biggest complaints I hear from married women is that the husband doesn't
Charlesia
May 19, 2010 Charlesia marked it as to-read
Shelves: christian, i-own-it
Chapter 1

His sacred intent for you and for me is nothing short of absolute abandonment to Jesus Christ, entire separation from the pollution of the world and the ardent worship of our King with every breath we take.

Chapter 2

Christ said, "Whosever desires to come after ME, let him deny himself, and take up his cross and follow Me"(Mark 8:34) The word "deny" here literally translates: to forget one's self, lose sight of one's self and one's own interest. We are meant to let all thoughts of self b
Shannon
Jun 06, 2009 Shannon rated it really liked it
I picked up this book because it has been highly recommended by several sources I trust. It's good. Leslie has a lot of challenging things to say that many Christian women need to hear. I appreciate her frequent references to Bible verses as well as her examples of Christian women from the long history of Christianity who have lived as God called them. Her message points out that many women are ready to accept Christ's salvation, but not His claim on their lives. She doesn't stop with concepts a ...more
Erin
Mar 26, 2013 Erin rated it did not like it
I just want to start off by saying that I did not finish this book. I couldn't finish it actually, because I was just getting depressed reading it. It honestly made me feel like garbage because I wasn't going on super passionate life-risking mission trips. I definitely admire those women who do have the desire and courage to do those things, but I felt very sad for a long time after starting to read this because I started to think that my life was a waste unless I was doing 110% for God 100% of ...more
Karen
Sep 05, 2014 Karen rated it did not like it
I suppose this book could have been helpful but I was too distracted by the author's constant spiritual one-upmanship and bragging. Maybe she should read a book on humility before presuming to tell the rest of us how to fix ourselves. (For example: what difference does it make that she taught her two year old all the states and their capitals?!) Not to mention the fact I'm not at all sure she actually knows what "the gospel" is. (Hint: it doesn't involve works.)

She may have had some important th
Adrienne
I was somewhat shocked at how Leslie shot down the book Captivating. While I can understand where she's coming from and see her point of view, I think she may have misinterpreted what the authors were trying to express in their message. Both books, in my opinion, had strong key elements regarding our femininity. Otherwise, I really enjoyed, as always, Leslie's encouragement on living a set-apart life.
Kinsey
Sep 24, 2010 Kinsey rated it really liked it
Shelves: 3rd-quarter
This book is kind of like a guide line for young christian girls to stand out and be 'set-apart' from this world. It has some amazing messages, and really makes you think about what your doing with your life.
I would recommend this book to older teen Christian girls who are on a search for falling in love with God before men. It has some great messages and some amazing verses to back it up!
Ley
May 11, 2011 Ley rated it it was amazing
This book set me on fire for Christ! A fire that will last the rest of my life. God used their ministry to put a longing in my soul to do mission work. I don't know when, where, with whom, or anything. All I know is God placed a calling in my heart to share the Gospel with others, and I will gladly answer the call when the time is right.

I plan to buy a few more of their books along with other Christian books really soon!

-Ley <3

Kendra Beth
May 20, 2009 Kendra Beth rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Girls
Recommended to Kendra Beth by: Kate
Shelves: religion
Okay, so I started reading Leslie's book, but have already read a couple of hers and am sick of her writing style (I'm glad some of y'all really enjoy her writing style. However, quite honestly, it's just tedious to me)
So I picked up So Much More by Anna Sofia Botkin and her sister Elizabeth Botkin. Which is a very nice change in pace. I wouldn't suggest buying either books, but borrowing them from somone else :)
Danielle
Dec 26, 2010 Danielle rated it it was amazing
Fantastic book! One of the things that this book really hit on was the fact that a lot of Christians call themselves Christians, act like Christians and "do the walk." When in reality they are halfway in and halfway out. It made me think about the fact that I need to be ALL in, not just halfway in. I would really suggest that any teen girl read this book!
Courtney
Jun 26, 2012 Courtney rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderful book! I recommend it to every women! And man for that matter. (Don't shy away from it because of the title!) It'll help every one know how to act towards the other and to not be intimate when it's not the time to be. And that means sharing personal things with each other who may or may not the be the "one". It saves a lot of heartache!
Amanda
Feb 14, 2010 Amanda rated it it was amazing
For any young lady out there that is tired of the low standards of women. All the skankiness and all the shallow relationships. Anybody who truly wants to make a commitment to living for God and not just claiming to be a Christian. This book is for them.
Julia
Aug 16, 2012 Julia rated it liked it
Shelves: christian
I was a bit unsure about whether I wanted to read another "just for young women" book, but I actually really appreciated some of Ludy's points, especially that we are called to live holy lives of service to others.
Valeria
Aug 24, 2012 Valeria marked it as probably-not
Excuse me, did I read that right ? God's sacred intent for every young woman ?

Are you kidding me ? ARE.YOU.KIDDING.ME ???
Shannon
Sep 07, 2010 Shannon rated it did not like it
I liked ONE chapter out of this book. One. (Sacred Cultivation. Chapter 6). We read it in my smallgroup and it accomplished my desired task of creating conversation but was very soap-boxy.
Rachel
May 31, 2009 Rachel rated it really liked it
Very good. I appreciated that it is focused primarily on our relationship with God.
Elizabeth
Aug 27, 2012 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
I have read this book at least twice and I have appreciated it so much.
  • Preparing To Be a Help Meet
  • Wrestling Prayer: A Passionate Communion with God
  • Girls Gone Wise in a World Gone Wild
  • Joyfully at Home: A Book for Young Ladies on Vision and Hope
  • Before You Meet Prince Charming: A Guide to Radiant Purity
  • Praying for Your Future Husband: Preparing Your Heart for His
  • Let Me Be a Woman
  • Emotional Purity: An Affair of the Heart
  • It’s (Not That) Complicated: How to Relate to Guys in a Healthy, Sane, and Biblical Way
  • A Young Woman After God's Own Heart
  • Lies Young Women Believe: And the Truth that Sets Them Free, Companion Guide
  • Feminine Appeal: Seven Virtues of a Godly Wife and Mother
  • Home-Making
  • Lady in Waiting: Becoming God's Best While Waiting for Mr. Right
Leslie Ludy is the bestselling author of Set-Apart Femininity, When God Writes Your Love Story, Authentic Beauty, and more than a dozen other books she has coauthored with her husband, Eric. She reaches thousands of young women each year and is passionate about helping them discover Christ's design for their lives. Leslie and Eric live with their three children in Colorado.
More about Leslie Ludy...

“The most beautiful women I've ever observed are those that have exchanged a self-focused life for a Christ-focused one. They are confident, but not in themselves. Instead of self-confidence, they radiate with Christ-confidence.” 36 likes
“It has been said by many great Christians that prayer is our secret weapon. If we desire to be free from every enemy stronghold over our lives and fully fortified to live the superhuman existences God intended us to live, then we must learn how to pray.” 21 likes