Start by marking “Joy Unspeakable: Power & Renewal in the Holy Spirit” as Want to Read:
Joy Unspeakable: Power & Renewal in the Holy Spirit

Joy Unspeakable: Power & Renewal in the Holy Spirit

4.26  ·  Rating Details  ·  145 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews

Martyn Lloyd-Jones explores the assertion of John the Baptist that Jeus would baptize with the Holy Spirit. The result is a classic call to submit afresh to the Spirit for power, purity and assurance, while keeping our heads in the face of pitfalls that might distract or ensnare us.

Published March 7th 2000 by Shaw Books (first published 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Joy Unspeakable, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Joy Unspeakable

Eli
Mar 04, 2013 Eli rated it liked it
This book is a must read for anyone wanting to seriously study the doctrine of the baptism in the Holy Spirit. If you want a well-rounded view of the subject, and want to learn from all sides of the debate, you cannot pass by "Joy Unspeakable". Lloyd-Jones is in a unique position to write on this topic since he is one of the most celebrated Reformed preachers of all time. Lloyd-Jones sees himself defending the "old evangelical" view of the Holy Spirit against the modern view of his day, which eq ...more
Peter Alexander
Dec 27, 2012 Peter Alexander rated it it was amazing
In Jack Hayford's The Charismatic Century, we learn one key fact about this movement (of which I'm a part), viz, the tendency to not write down and fully formulate doctrine.

Two books, however, written several decades apart, overcome this deficiency. The first is R.A. Torrey's The Baptism of The Holy Spirit written in 1895 and Joy Unspeakable by Lloyd-Jones.

For charismatics, I encourage the reading of both so that you have two perspectives from two men who on their own prayed and investigated w
Martin Steele
Sep 22, 2008 Martin Steele rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Christians
This book explains the Baptism of the Holy Spirit tat Christians recieve it also explains the gifts of the Holy Spirit. The author explains that one can be a Christian without recieveing the Baptism of the Holy Spirit.

All Christians should read this book.
Mike Reynolds
Feb 09, 2014 Mike Reynolds rated it it was amazing
Perhaps the most refreshing book I've read in the past 18 months. Incredibly blessed by this work meeting me at the most appropriate time.

Jones is a fantastic speaker and exegete arguing here for the reality of the the baptism of the Holy Spirit being subsequent to regeneration and that it is an objective, obvious, and observable phenomenon that we are in desperate need of.

As a Calvinist he appropriately sets the reality of the baptism with the Holy Spirit upon the foundation of sovereign grac
Jay
Mar 01, 2015 Jay rated it really liked it
Shelves: theology
Makes up for some lack of precision with warmth and intensity.
Dráusio Gonçalves
Jul 06, 2015 Dráusio Gonçalves rated it really liked it
I gave it four stars but I'd give a 3.7 score actually. There is some sort of confusion whether we should ask or wait for the coming of the Holy Spirit. By the end of the book he states that Christians should be doing both, ask earnestly and wait for God's time. It sounds like guaranteed that the Spirit will be given. Another question unanswered is about the impact of the coming of the Holy Spirit in the broad community. He mentions the revival in Wales and Scotland but in the UK today these are ...more
Jacob
Jan 09, 2016 Jacob is currently reading it
A series of sermons in book form, spelling out Dr. Jones' view of the baptism of the spirit. There was lots of edifying and challenging material here. However, some of his arguments were not as strong as I think he thought them to be and I was ultimately unconvinced. A worthy read nonetheless.
Bauer Evans
Jul 01, 2015 Bauer Evans rated it it was amazing
My favorite book by the 'good doctor.' I was introduced to him through his series on Romans, but became a life long fan when I read these sermons on the person, work, and empowering presence of the Holy Spirit. His generous use of church history to illustrate his points is exhilarating.
Dwight Walker
Jan 24, 2016 Dwight Walker rated it really liked it
Very good summary of Spirit in believers life to give joy unspeakable. Helped me personally to dig deeper and see God at work in my life.
Jordan
Jun 03, 2015 Jordan rated it it was amazing
Fantastic book that really bridges the gap between the less charismatic Christians and Pentecostals. He urges the reader to seek the baptism of the Spirit, in order that we may truly have a "joy unspeakable". He balances and measures mysticism to Scripture, always seeking a biblically-sound experience with the Holy Spirit.

The only negative I really had with the book was that Lloyd-Jones was a little anti-Catholic, and usually pointed out needless examples of their "flawed theology".
Gary B
Sep 04, 2012 Gary B rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2012
A fantastic book. Excellent exposition of the power of the Holy Spirit and the Spirit's role in renewal and revival. It was heavy going at some stages, but well worth it. Martyn's primary premise is that the world's greatest need is for believers to be filled/baptised/sealed with the Spirit. He offers a biblical basis for how and when this happens, what the believer can do to encourage it, and some of the outworking of it.
Mary Lou
Jan 26, 2013 Mary Lou rated it it was amazing
Just reading this book drew me closer to Jesus even though I've already believed and received this baptism of the Spirit. Such a thorough teaching on the fact and importance of the Baptism of the Holy Spirit as I've never read anywhere before except in the Scriptures themselves. I highly recommend this book no matter where you stand on this teaching/doctrine.
BJ
Feb 02, 2009 BJ rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very important book for my own soul. It's importance is critical for the life of the whole church, especially if Lloyd-Jones is right. A very challenging and provoking book on the doctrine of the Holy Spirit and the life of the Holy Spirit indwelling the believer (chiefly the "baptism"/"sealing" of the Holy Spirit within the believer). I am provoked.
Benjamin
Aug 25, 2012 Benjamin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Deep theological reflections of the Power of the Holy spirit from this Calvinist Methodist theologian Martyn Lloyd Jones! Certainly a book about "JOY UNSPEAKABLE"
David Griffin
Oct 13, 2011 David Griffin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not quite as Charismatic as many think he is, but a great series that encourages us to seek a true experiential Christian life.
Robert Iannuccilli
May 30, 2013 Robert Iannuccilli rated it it was amazing
Goes beyond the surface of the matter and explores the significance of "the baptism" both from scripture and history.
David
Apr 12, 2013 David rated it really liked it
This is a great discussion of the Baptism of the Holy Spirit, what it is, how it happens, and when it occurs.
Douglas Wilson
Apr 22, 2009 Douglas Wilson rated it really liked it
Shelves: theology
Excellent?
Caroline
Caroline marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2016
amy boykin
amy boykin rated it it was amazing
Apr 28, 2016
Gideao Souza
Gideao Souza is currently reading it
Apr 25, 2016
Bjørn
Bjørn marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2016
Tim Hazelbaker
Tim Hazelbaker is currently reading it
Apr 15, 2016
Brooke High-gary
Brooke High-gary marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2016
Jonathan Newman
Jonathan Newman marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2016
Jake Fraser
Jake Fraser marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2016
Adam Roell
Adam Roell marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2016
Thornton G. Ford
Thornton G. Ford rated it it was amazing
Mar 29, 2016
Treykent
Treykent marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2016
  • Suffering and the Sovereignty of God
  • Baptism and Fullness: The Work of the Holy Spirit Today
  • Letters to a Young Calvinist: An Invitation to the Reformed Tradition
  • Deep Exegesis: The Mystery of Reading Scripture
  • Surprised by the Voice of God: How God Speaks Today Through Prophecies, Dreams, and Visions
  • Five Views on Law and Gospel
  • The Life of God in the Soul of Man
  • Showing the Spirit: A Theological Exposition of 1 Corinthians 12–14
  • Faiths Checkbook
  • Christ-Centered Worship: Letting the Gospel Shape Our Practice
David Martyn Lloyd-Jones was a Welsh Protestant minister, preacher and medical doctor who was influential in the Reformed wing of the British evangelical movement in the 20th century. For almost 30 years, he was the minister of Westminster Chapel in London. Lloyd-Jones was strongly opposed to Liberal Christianity, which had become a part of many Christian denominations; he regarded it as aberrant. ...more
More about D. Martyn Lloyd-Jones...