Start by marking “Unspeakable Losses: Healing From Miscarriage, Abortion, And Other Pregnancy Loss” as Want to Read:

This comforting and healing book is a must--not only for women who have at one time experienced pregnancy loss but also for their parents, sisters, daughters, brothers, and friends. Kim Kluger-Bell's extensive fieldwork as a therapist specializing in the psychodynamics of reproductive crises strips away the shrouds of silence surrounding pregnancy losses and abortions, giv ...more
Published April 26th 2000 by William Morrow Paperbacks (first published December 31st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Unspeakable Losses, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Unspeakable Losses

Jai
May 07, 2017 Jai rated it really liked it
Initially I started this book with certain expectations after reading several reviews on the website. But after going through the rest of the book I realize it's an invaluable resource for anyone who's experienced abortion,miscarriage or stillbirth. It also uncovered several of my own biases that I had about abortion and how I felt about people who grieved after the procedure.

It uncovered that even though now I've accepted those pregnancy terminations as necessary for me on a personal level tha
Izlinda
Mar 21, 2010 Izlinda rated it liked it
To be fair to this book, it was first published in 1998, twelve years ago. (Wow...twelve years... Where did the first decade of 2000 go...) The statistics are bound to be different now, though the politicization of abortion, mentioned in Kluger-Bell's book, hasn't changed. I think it's only intensified. I don't know if there is now more psychological support for parents who have stillborns. I didn't know that they could tell ahead of time if a baby died and a mother would essentially have to giv ...more
Tristy
Jan 05, 2011 Tristy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: health, fertility
I am truly shocked to read all the bad reviews of this book! This was BY FAR the best book I have read about the grief around pregnancy loss. It doesn't matter that it was was written 12 years ago, the psychological implications are the same, and sadly, our culture has not moved forwards very much as far as being sensitive to those who have lost a pregnancy. I can't tell you how many times I was told to not "dwell on the past" and to look forward to my next pregnancy. We need time to mourn and t ...more
Amy
Mar 03, 2014 Amy rated it liked it
Obviously I hate hate HATE that I even read this book at all, but my mom sent me this book in the hopes that it would help me deal with my intense grief. I only found some parts of this book helpful. It was an easy and fast read but there was so much psychotherapy talk that I don't think this is a great book for someone actually going through a pregnancy loss themselves. So much of the case study focus was on people who had some repressed past trauma that they hadn't dealt with and that was why ...more
Tracy
Mar 24, 2008 Tracy rated it liked it
So far I am not that happy with this book. The author spends a lot of time with psycho therapy babble and talking about underlying feelings. I was hoping for more stories about women and families dealing with losses. But I'm about half way through it and there have been 5 profiles of people done. Seems like there could have been a lot more.

I feel like the book got a little better. The last few chapters were more useful then the beginning psycho therapy stuff.
Amber
Feb 24, 2010 Amber rated it it was ok
I just couldn't finish this book. It has some good points, but right now I really didn't want to read about women who chose to have an abortion and now feel bad about it. The information on loss was good, maybe I would have liked it more if I had kept reading. Maybe I'll come back to this when my emotions aren't so close to the surface.
Kelly
Oct 21, 2008 Kelly rated it it was amazing
this was my favorite one out of the many that I read on the subject. That's why I gave it 5 stars. She's got an educated point of view as well as the testimonies - sometimes this is out of balance. But it helped me get to sleep at night and that's the main thing.
Marty
Mar 08, 2009 Marty rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, 2009
Good book. Made me cry.

I did think it went a bit too in depth on some of the psychological analysis, which is why I'm giving it only three stars. I felt like instead of I learned everything there is to know about "Rebecca's" childhood.
Rachel C
Jan 18, 2009 Rachel C rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pregnancy
I didn't find this book particularly helpful or informative. Filled with psychotherapy babble between the author and five of her individual case studies, this book is written more for the benefit of therapists rather than those who have actually experienced miscarriage and pregnancy loss.
Holly
Jul 30, 2011 Holly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really informative & compassionate book. I found the case studies helpful. It would be great if the author wrote an updated edition as a lot has changed in reproductive technologies & psychological effects.
Jun 26, 2015 Sarah rated it liked it
Descent book but I dislike anecdotes that are meant to represent a larger group; the are too specific to that scenario.

I liked learning about the Jizo ceremony and the thoughts on loss via abortion.
Shannon
Feb 20, 2009 Shannon rated it it was ok
More of a therapeutic exercise for the author than any actual promotion of healing for the reader.
Kristen
Jul 22, 2016 Kristen rated it really liked it
I actually only skimmed parts of this book but it seems like it would be very helpful.
Karineh
Karineh rated it really liked it
Dec 25, 2014
Miranda
Miranda rated it really liked it
Oct 17, 2016
Cassandra
Cassandra rated it it was amazing
Mar 07, 2012
Bridgette
Bridgette rated it it was amazing
Oct 18, 2011
Rana
Rana rated it it was amazing
Mar 22, 2016
Leslie
Leslie rated it it was amazing
Apr 19, 2013
Jasmine Hughes
Jasmine Hughes rated it it was amazing
Sep 04, 2016
Rosmary
Rosmary rated it liked it
Aug 01, 2016
Bonnie
Bonnie rated it really liked it
Aug 08, 2009
Ashley
Ashley rated it really liked it
Nov 25, 2008
Jamie Vandy
Jamie Vandy rated it really liked it
Jul 07, 2014
Janet Randall
Janet Randall rated it liked it
Jun 07, 2014
Jen  Noonan
Jen Noonan rated it it was amazing
Apr 07, 2015
Tracia
Tracia rated it really liked it
Mar 16, 2009
Ana DelCorazon
Ana DelCorazon rated it really liked it
Mar 14, 2017
Sarah rated it liked it
Dec 07, 2016
E.M. Sutherlin
E.M. Sutherlin rated it really liked it
Mar 16, 2014