Start by marking “Unspeakable Losses: Healing From Miscarriage, Abortion, And Other Pregnancy Loss” as Want to Read:

3.6 of 5 stars 3.60  ·  rating details  ·  43 ratings  ·  11 reviews
This comforting and healing book is a must--not only for women who have at one time experienced pregnancy loss but also for their parents, sisters, daughters, brothers, and friends. Kim Kluger-Bell's extensive fieldwork as a therapist specializing in the psychodynamics of reproductive crises strips away the shrouds of silence surrounding pregnancy losses and abortions, giv ...more
Published April 26th 2000 by William Morrow Paperbacks (first published December 31st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Unspeakable Losses, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Unspeakable Losses

Amy
Obviously I hate hate HATE that I even read this book at all, but my mom sent me this book in the hopes that it would help me deal with my intense grief. I only found some parts of this book helpful. It was an easy and fast read but there was so much psychotherapy talk that I don't think this is a great book for someone actually going through a pregnancy loss themselves. So much of the case study focus was on people who had some repressed past trauma that they hadn't dealt with and that was why ...more
Izlinda
To be fair to this book, it was first published in 1998, twelve years ago. (Wow...twelve years... Where did the first decade of 2000 go...) The statistics are bound to be different now, though the politicization of abortion, mentioned in Kluger-Bell's book, hasn't changed. I think it's only intensified. I don't know if there is now more psychological support for parents who have stillborns. I didn't know that they could tell ahead of time if a baby died and a mother would essentially have to giv ...more
Tristy
I am truly shocked to read all the bad reviews of this book! This was BY FAR the best book I have read about the grief around pregnancy loss. It doesn't matter that it was was written 12 years ago, the psychological implications are the same, and sadly, our culture has not moved forwards very much as far as being sensitive to those who have lost a pregnancy. I can't tell you how many times I was told to not "dwell on the past" and to look forward to my next pregnancy. We need time to mourn and t ...more
Descent book but I dislike anecdotes that are meant to represent a larger group; the are too specific to that scenario.

I liked learning about the Jizo ceremony and the thoughts on loss via abortion.
Tracy
So far I am not that happy with this book. The author spends a lot of time with psycho therapy babble and talking about underlying feelings. I was hoping for more stories about women and families dealing with losses. But I'm about half way through it and there have been 5 profiles of people done. Seems like there could have been a lot more.

I feel like the book got a little better. The last few chapters were more useful then the beginning psycho therapy stuff.
Amber
I just couldn't finish this book. It has some good points, but right now I really didn't want to read about women who chose to have an abortion and now feel bad about it. The information on loss was good, maybe I would have liked it more if I had kept reading. Maybe I'll come back to this when my emotions aren't so close to the surface.
Rachel C
I didn't find this book particularly helpful or informative. Filled with psychotherapy babble between the author and five of her individual case studies, this book is written more for the benefit of therapists rather than those who have actually experienced miscarriage and pregnancy loss.
Kelly
this was my favorite one out of the many that I read on the subject. That's why I gave it 5 stars. She's got an educated point of view as well as the testimonies - sometimes this is out of balance. But it helped me get to sleep at night and that's the main thing.
Marty
Good book. Made me cry.

I did think it went a bit too in depth on some of the psychological analysis, which is why I'm giving it only three stars. I felt like instead of I learned everything there is to know about "Rebecca's" childhood.
Holly
Really informative & compassionate book. I found the case studies helpful. It would be great if the author wrote an updated edition as a lot has changed in reproductive technologies & psychological effects.
Shannon
More of a therapeutic exercise for the author than any actual promotion of healing for the reader.
Angela
Angela is currently reading it
Mar 12, 2015
Kelly
Kelly marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2015
Betsy
Betsy marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2015
Emily
Emily added it
Mar 05, 2015
Zahera
Zahera marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2014
tawny
tawny added it
Oct 01, 2014
Stacey Novak
Stacey Novak marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
Katherine Hensley
Katherine Hensley marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014